Chapter Six: The Muster of Caltlikrath

load previous
May 23, 2018 3:04 pm
"One last attempt, or shall we book it? I have a thought to adopt the garb the woman was wearing - if I'm not mistaken, those are Gethro's colours, and I may be able to bluff my way in. But we may need to be prepared to run should it play poorly," Domarc says.
May 23, 2018 4:16 pm
You could hire a courier, yes.

"The Jermals are an honorable race," the old man says. "I fancied a girl from Jerma, once. But it was not to be." He takes another unsteady draft of soup.

As the inn grows yet more crowded, another man seats himself at your table. This one is a young, muscular man with a round head and his hair tied up in a topknot. A long-handled war axe is strapped to his back. He glares at the rest of you and snaps his fingers to get the serving girl's attention.

"Another mighty warrior!" the old man exclaims. "Truly, this is the table of--"

"Silence, old one," the newcomer says in an affectless tone. The old man clamps his mouth shut.

~meanwhile~

While Domarc and Mordred are conferring in the alley, a young man in a short tunic stops in front of the Hierophant's palace, turns to face it, and screams as he makes an obscene gesture with both hands: "FUCK THE 'ROPH! SOLDIER-KILLER!"

Two of the guards halfheartedly jog towards him, and the young man turns and runs away, yelling "LET HAZARD HAVE A KING AGAIN!" The guards stop and return to the palace gate.
May 23, 2018 5:24 pm
"Alright, Domarc. Give me a high pitched whistle as loud as you can if you need to run and I will meet you back at the Inn. Otherwise I will wait here until dusk. If the guards give you trouble come back to me and we can hire a courier before we leave. Perhaps that's the best way to get a message passed here in Hazard."
Last edited May 23, 2018 5:25 pm
May 23, 2018 5:28 pm
Looking around at how crowded the tavern is, Zangua makes no mention of the newcomer's arrival. Neither does he accommodate for space, however.
May 23, 2018 5:48 pm
"Meat and wine. Your finest," the newcomer says. The serving girl opens her mouth as if to ask for clarification, then seems to reconsider. She nods and heads back to the kitchen.

A woman with a long braid of red hair enters, carrying a harp. The servers, innkeeper, and several patrons call out cheerful greetings to her as she sets herself up in the corner of the room.

The colorful man at the adjacent table cries out, "Play The Farmer and the Bugbear!"

"I should like to hear The Headless Knight of Jerma," the old man says, directing a gummy, ingratiating smile at Felor.
May 23, 2018 6:02 pm
"I'd prefer a rousing chorus of Praise Fjorgyn, May She Smite The Heretic With The Avalanche Of Enlightenment but I doubt she knows the tune," replies Felor.
Last edited May 23, 2018 6:21 pm
May 23, 2018 6:48 pm
Domarc weighs his options for a moment, and considers his luck. A small greasy feeling in the pit of his stomach convinces him not to press his luck.

"Let us find a courier," he says, watching the display in front of the palace. "The guards are edgy, and I've no wish to gamble with my skin in this square today."

Domarc recasts Disguise Self, and Invisibility on Mordred and heads off to find a courier. Once found, the message sent will be:

To - Gethro Moag, Amanuensis of the Heirophant

I hope this finds you well and swiftly, as swiftly as Camazota moves. I have been thinking about our conversation before I left for Utwar and destinations beyond. I found a bit of an old poem I think you might enjoy:

Vanth may cut the cords
Of those on their final journey
But the door swings both ways
For those who have the key

The wise man sets a watch
On all the doors of Bload
The foolish man hunts the key
For a door he wants not opened

As for me, my journey continues. I hope to see you soon.

Once sent, Domarc will hasten to leave the city and rejoin the group.
Last edited May 23, 2018 6:48 pm
May 23, 2018 7:11 pm
After Domarc recasts his spells and starts mentally composing his letter to Gethro, he and Mordred step back out into the Trigon. They notice as the door of the Hierophant's palace opens, and a woman in brown steps out and crosses the yard to speak with the guards at the gate. It's hard to tell at this distance, but it looks to be the same woman the Hierophant sent to condole with Chorcarz on the night the Six Pronged-Crown attacked.

Domarc is inclined to entrust his message to the Loyal Friends of Commerce, an organization the WBTC frequently employed for various business services. They're located a few blocks to the south.

~meanwhile~

Besieged by song requests, the harpist goes her own way by launching right into The Blinding of the Cupbearer, an odd choice for a lively morning crowd. She is, however, certainly a skilled player with a pleasant singing voice.

Felor, Leth, and Zangua, make a Perception roll.
May 23, 2018 7:37 pm
Zangua is guarded with the presence of both the young and old warriors, and pays little attention to the music.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+6)

(5) + 6 = 11

May 24, 2018 3:58 am
"Oponn's chance," Domarc mutters to himself, and changes plans. He strides towards the gates of the palace again, hoping to catch the woman who serves the Heirophant there.

As he approaches, he says "Ho there! Was asked to bring message to Gethro Moag. Asked to come with the swiftness of Camazota."

I figured that's who she was, and was thinking about trying to approach the palace in the same colours, but the gamble was pretty big if Gethro has no other staff/retainers
May 24, 2018 6:04 am
To clarify, you've seen two different women: the one who walked in earlier, and this one who you recognize from your previous visit to Hazard.

And, Domarc, are you Disguise Selfed when you approach her?

The woman turns; the guards scowl at Domarc. She looks at him impassively. "Were you? What is the message?"

Felor (and Leth, if you're available), I still need a Perception roll.
May 24, 2018 8:37 am
Felor sighs, the noisy, crowded inn reminding him how much he preferred being out in the wilds.

Rolls

Perception check - (1d20+3)

(17) + 3 = 20

May 24, 2018 4:05 pm
Quote:
And, Domarc, are you Disguise Selfed when you approach her?
I would have been when I left the alley, so yes.

Domarc considers her for a moment, and then makes a leg. "You have passed a message along to him from me before, I think, after a night of fire and death. Tell me, did Chorcarz every accept your condolences? My message comes from some men who went to Utwar and beyond, to a place where men are not meant to dwell. Gethro sent them with a question, hoping they could find answer, for it concerns the safety of Hazard. I would tell you the answer, if you promise to tell it true to Gethro and no one else."
Last edited May 24, 2018 4:15 pm
May 24, 2018 4:25 pm
This is all very good, nubs.
May 24, 2018 4:25 pm
Felor notices that both the old man and the warrior seem to be staring at something at the other end of the room. He shifts his position and turns his head to follow their gaze to a table where five men are seated, having a breakfast of eggs, bread, and beer. Nothing seems remarkable about them except that one of them, a mustached man in a blue liberty cap, suddenly turns his head to look directly at the party's table. He locks eyes with Felor for a moment, then looks away.

The serving girl arrives, setting a platter of sliced beef and a jug of wine in front of the warrior. When Felor's attention returns to the table, he sees that both the warrior and the old man are looking at him, now.

~meanwhile~

The woman gives Domarc a long look while the guards watch her, waiting to take their cue from her response. "Come inside," she finally says, turning to walk back across the yard to the palace steps. The guards open the gate. The woman holds the palace doors open for Domarc to enter.
May 24, 2018 4:27 pm
Feeling a bit of relief, Domarc enters the palace.
May 24, 2018 4:39 pm
As Domarc passes the woman to step across the threshold, she says quietly: "We see your friend."

The palace doors swing shut. Domarc hears the click of a locking mechanism.

He stands now in a foyer about thirty feet wide and fifty feet long. The interior is plain, bare stone. A single brazier lights the space. Niches carved irregularly into the walls hold busts of human heads -- Hierophants of days past, Domarc assumes. There are two doors at the end of the hall, and a narrow, arched open doorway at the end of the west wall.

"Master Moag is not here," the woman says. "I don't know when he will return. My name is Lendras dra Mahael, and I am the Amanuensis of the Hierophant in his absence. What did you come to tell us?"
May 24, 2018 5:20 pm
Domarc bows, both displeased and impressed that they can see Mordred.

"I am Domarc Sirar, and it is a pleasure to know your name at last, Lendras dra Mahael. If you can see my friend, you can likely see through my dissemblance as well. I trust that means that no ears other than ours can hear us now, for our foes seem to know our every move.

I shall be brief, and hope that the information we have learned is of use. The Iron Sphere was enchanted, long ago while held by Hazard, to act as one end of a conduit or portal. The other end is the Shrine of Culsu. The intent was that Hazard could use it to invade Shtombo, by opening the portal and sending an army through. But doors open in both directions; those with the knowledge to open the portal could use the Sphere to enter the Shrine of Culsu."

Domarc pauses for a moment.
"That is what we know of the Sphere. What we believe is that the Six Pronged Crown intends to use the Sphere to unleash some catastrophe upon Hazard, possibly opening it to allow devils of ice and snow to invade the city. The Shrine should be watched, for fear that their plan even now unfurls. Those who sell 'curative ice' in the streets should be viewed with suspicion. As for us, we plan to see if we can destroy the Sphere and end this."
May 24, 2018 6:27 pm
Lendras listens attentively. When Domarc finishes speaking, she says, "Follow me," and heads through the west doorway into a narrow stairwell. They ascend to the second floor, and Lendras leads Domarc down a hallway around to the east side of the building. "Wait here," she says, indicating an alcove with a bench and a table with an empty vase and bowl set upon it. A faded fresco on the alcove wall depicts a squat tower being struck by nine bolts of lightning.

Lendras heads further down the hall and enters a room. She closes the door behind her, leaving Domarc in the alcove to wait.

Domarc, do you want to do anything while you're waiting?

~meanwhile~

Mordred watches as Domarc follows the woman in brown into the palace. The walls of the palace look to be thick, and the windows are shuttered. He wonders if Domarc would be able to hear any of his bird cries from inside there, and decides, probably not. He listens to the idle talk of the guards at the palace gate. They seem to be curious about the visitor who was just let in, concerned about the increasing hostility of the public toward the Hierophant, and excited about the games and dances scheduled for the upcoming Serpent Festival.
May 24, 2018 6:35 pm
Domarc will study the fresco as he waits, trying to see if it depicts anything he recognizes. He will also consider that Lendras and Zangua might get along well, as they seem people of few words.

Rolls

History - fresco - (1d20+2)

(20) + 2 = 22

load next

Thread locked