Chapter Six: The Muster of Caltlikrath

load previous
May 24, 2018 7:30 pm
The fresco is certainly a depiction of the sacrifice of the last king of Hazard to Ziu-Pater, a pivotal event in the city's history. While the officially preferred story is that the king, in the end, acquiesced to the necessity of the sacrifice, offered himself up at the top of the tower, and was struck dead by Ziu-Pater himself, it has always been known that the "sacrifice" was carried out by nine conspirators on a quite uncooperative king at the base of the tower stairs. The nine bolts in the fresco, Domarc supposes, are a not-entirely-subtle nod to the real truth of the story.

After a few moments, the door opens again, and Lendras steps out. "Come in," she says. "The Hierophant wishes to speak with you."

Domarc gets up and enters a modestly-sized, sparely decorated office. Shelves line the walls, packed full with tablets, scrolls, and books. One shelf holds a small shrine to Aitas, recognizable by the rooster-headed idol. A desk is set at the north end of the room, likewise covered with clutter. A compact iron chandelier hangs from the ceiling. There are no chairs save for the one behind the desk. Occupying it is a man of about fifty, slim and of average height, wearing a plain brown robe and skullcap. He has large blue eyes and a naturally stern expression.

"Reverend Master, I present to you Domarc Sirar, one of the mercenaries returned from Vorch. Domarc Sirar, it is my privilege to introduce Frater Equamo Cola, the Hierophant of Hazard."

The Hierophant glares at Domarc and does not stand up. "Our attempt to recover the Locra woman ended in disaster, as I've sure you've heard," he says. "Gethro Moag is at Solyhill now, trying to ascertain precisely what happened. There were more survivors than the rumor-mongers would have you believe. I remain unconvinced that the cult poses an existential threat to the city, but at times even minor antagonists may thwart one's destiny. I would see the cult wholly extinguished. Where is the rest of your company? Did all survive the perils of the island?"
May 24, 2018 8:56 pm
Utterly unprepared for this audience and knowing none of the protocol, Domarc takes a beat and decides to brazen it through.

"Not all of the company survived the island, sadly. Nor did the sorcerer, Pafthinel, who told us of how he enchanted the Iron Sphere before he died as a result of his own handiwork. The rest of my company stayed outside of Hazard, with the exception of one companion, who awaits me in the square outside. Given the unrest in the city, we were not sure it was wise for a group of mercenaries to come seeking audience with Gethro, but we felt we must share what we had learned.

"As for the cult, what may be most important is that they believe in what they are about. I suggest they are more threat than they seem - they have a talent for finding us, and seeming to know our next move, and they seem very well organized and resourced. That is another reason why only two of us came, and even then we have attempted to hide our movements. We too would see them extinguished, and our company seeks to thwart them by destroying the Sphere."
May 24, 2018 10:10 pm
Lendras takes notes with a tablet and stylus while Domarc speaks.

"Since the night of the fire, we have studied the cult," the Hierophant says. "Indeed, there are many in this city who call themselves members, but few seem to understand its purpose. Most are little more than thugs manipulated by dream-interpreters and the promise of coin. We have captured four cultists, and put all of them to questioning under pain. Only one had anything of interest to say." He interlaces his fingers together and rests his hands on his desk. "Do you know the location of the Sphere? Gethro believes you do."
May 24, 2018 10:47 pm
"We have a theory, nothing more" Domarc says, shrugging. "And others in the company hold more information than I on that score."

"While on the road, we learned something else that may be of use. A story of some devils who took up residence in a glacier in hell called Seglorgron - which, I am told, translates as 'Six Pronged Crown.' An interesting story, perhaps coincidence, nothing more."

Domarc pauses and gives the Heirophant a long look. "I have told you what we have learned, and what we suspect. My time is short. Will you share with me what you have learned? Can you tell me if the Locra woman still lives?"

Rolls

Insight check - (1d20+3)

(16) + 3 = 19

May 25, 2018 8:20 am
Back at the inn...

Felor's irritation at the busy environs turns to a prickly discomfort at the behaviour of their table-mates. Were these companions of the ice-deliverer? Agents of the Crown come to spy out information? Felor downs the last of his drink before standing. "Friends, we should be on our way. The road to Banwod is still long but if we make haste we can reach the foothills by twilight."
May 25, 2018 8:21 am
rocksteady says:
This is all very good, nubs.
This!
May 25, 2018 3:00 pm
Thanks guys - I am feeling kinda bad in splitting the group and taking up too much time/spotlight, so I'm glad it is at least entertaining
May 25, 2018 3:58 pm
No it's cool, I'm enjoying the cut-aways to your city adventure while we chill at the inn.
May 25, 2018 4:27 pm
When Felor stands up, the man in the blue cap stands up as well. He has a short sword attached to his belt.

"So soon...well...friends easily made, easily lost," the old man stammers. The warrior sits very still, looking sidelong at Felor, his meat and drink still untouched.

~meanwhile~

Back in the Trigon, Mordred hears timbrels and shouting. A crowd is gathering at the gates of the Innocent's palace.

~meanwhile~

The Hierophant exchanges a very brief glance with Lendras. "We've heard nothing of devils," she says, "but all of the cultists seem to have strange dreams about a land covered in ice."

"Indeed, we are told they venerate a being they call the Pharate, who has no use for blood sacrifice. But it is a witch-cult. They learn the ways of proscribed magic, consort with familiar spirits..."

"Such cults are like Darcran pottery," Lendras says. "No matter how elaborately painted the outside, it's the same clay underneath."

"Lendras, I despise folk wisdom," the Hierophant says. He turns to Domarc. "We don't know if the woman yet lives. Our soldiers were repelled some distance from the cult's stronghold. I will not speak of the manner in which they were attacked until I can give true facts instead of hearsay. If you want to know what else we've learned of the Six-Pronged Crown, Lendras can read you the notes from the interrogation. You must give her a detailed account of what the elementalist told you, as well. And I would ask you, if you have a theory of where the Sphere might be located, to let her make a record of it. You say some members of your company have already met their death. Consider that it might be unwise for your mercenary band to be the only ones who possess this secret. That will be all. Lendras, you will compensate him at the usual rate for the information he provides us."

The Hierophant returns his attention to the documents before him. Lendras immediately opens the door and gestures for Domarc to exit.
May 25, 2018 4:38 pm
Domarc inclines his head, and leaves the room, waiting for Lendras to guide him to the next stop. Domarc is very interested in hearing what they did learn, and files away the name "Pharate" in his mind.

If the theory dies with us, so much the better, he thinks. We would destroy this thing, but I fear everyone else sees it as a piece in whatever game they play. Better it lie lost where it is than be found and used for any purpose; it was conceived as a tool of war and invasion, and no good can come of it. Still, I hope to avoid full interrogation...

...Pharate, Pharate, rhymes with irate; if they interrogate me will I blate? I hope that Mordred does not mind the wait; on the Pharate the Cult fixates

Does the name Pharate mean anything to Domarc?
Last edited May 25, 2018 4:39 pm

Rolls

History check? - (1d20+1)

(18) + 1 = 19

May 25, 2018 5:17 pm
Zangua stands, placing a hand on Leth's shoulder, then jerking his thumb to the door to indicate the other should do so as well. He prepares to follow Felor, his eyes studying the two strangers to gauge their intentions.

Rolls

Insight on Old Man and Silent Dude - (1d20+6)

(17) + 6 = 23

May 25, 2018 8:30 pm
Zangua's instincts tell him that the old man is concerned with the quiet warrior, and the quiet warrior is concerned with the man in the blue cap.

Are the three of you going to leave the inn?

~meanwhile~

Mordred wanders closer to the Innocent's palace, watching as the doors swing open and several servants emerge, carrying long poles and a black lacquered palanquin, which they begin to assemble as guards take position in front of the palace gates and the crowd swells.

~meanwhile~

Lendras stops to retrieve a small scroll from a room where a man in brown is copying wax tablets to vellum. She leads Domarc downstairs to a room with a round table and chairs, where a fresco on the wall depicts two armies arrayed for battle. Behind the left army is a man and a child, painted at a much larger scale. A beam of light shines from the child's mouth to the man's ear, and from the man's mouth emerges a large sword.

She opens the scroll and reads the notes from the interrogation: Indoctrinated by a man named Tuell. Strange dreams about mountains of ice. Led into long philosophical discussions. Participated in ritual feasts and the carving of symbols into flesh. Paid four silver a day to carry out thefts, spy on temple staff. Initiated into lesser mysteries. Learned of the Pharate who could heal and awaken the Werld. Taught to serve the Pharate according to principles symbolized by the crown. Promised further revelations after continued loyal service.

Lendras will ask Domarc to provide as much information as he can about what Pafthinel told them about the Sphere. She will also ask where he thinks the Sphere may be hidden. How much information will Domarc give her?
May 25, 2018 9:32 pm
Domarc takes in the information impassively. He relates what Pafthinel told them of the Sphere - an unremarkable lump of star metal, enchanted on behalf of the Innocent of Hazard to be a tool for invasion. If it can be found, melting it down will destroy the enchantment. Perhaps, Domarc suggests, destroying the Shrine of Culsu would also destroy the portal. As for the location of the Sphere:

"Edvers was an explorer and adventurer," Domarc says, "We think it is hidden somewhere in the Badgerways; he may have been trying to figure a new route through them."
Last edited May 25, 2018 9:35 pm

Rolls

Deception - (1d20+10)

(19) + 10 = 29

May 25, 2018 9:55 pm
Mordred watches, part of the crowd now, as guards and liveried servants spill out of the front doors of the Innocent's palace, Some take places along the steps, others descend to stand beside the palanquin.

A child of about seven years emerges from the palace, and a cheer rises from the crowd. He wears white and black robes and a large, egg-shaped turban. Ignoring the crowd, he walks down the steps and climbs into the palanquin, which four litter-carriers immediately lift onto their shoulders. Guards open the gates before them, and the litter-carriers march, preceded by eight guards and surrounded by an entourage, out into the Trigon. The crowd makes way for them, waving hands and calling out prayers and greetings to the Innocent of Hazard. The procession turns to the west, passing close by to Mordred as they cross the expanse of the Trigon.

"I saw it. I saw the divine light upon him," a woman standing near Mordred says. "We ought to crown him king right now. It's madness that we won't."

"He's already promised to Ziu-Pater," her companion says ruefully.

~meanwhile~

Lendras writes down Domarc's answers.

Any final questions for Lendras?
May 25, 2018 10:06 pm
"How fragile is the Heirophants position?" Domarc asks. "The mood on the street seems quite hostile."

I remain entirely too good at lying to women, he thinks.
May 25, 2018 10:24 pm
Lendras seems amused by the question. "Not fragile at all. The Quiet Council prefers an embattled Hierophant, but they'd never allow such an upheaval. The street has a short memory, they'll be in a different mood a month from now."

She walks Domarc back to the entrance hall. On the way, she passes a brown-caped woman and asks her to fetch "a gift of appreciation for a kind benefactor."

Moments later, the woman meets them in the entrance hall, handing a small latched wooden case to Lendras, who hands it to Domarc. "You'll find a signet inside. Present it to the guards at the gate if you ever need to speak with us again."

If you're done here, you can leave and rejoin Mordred.
May 25, 2018 11:09 pm
As Felor and his companions start towards the door to leave the inn, he leans in slightly towards Zangua and says in a low voice "I have the feeling a fight is going to start any minute. I'm not sure what's going on but I'd rather not get involved."
May 29, 2018 3:55 pm
Domarc and Mordred: are you guys ready to meet back up again?

Felor, Leth, and Zangua: are you leaving the inn now?
May 29, 2018 5:26 pm
Zangua deviates from the exit only to settle the tab. He then joins Felor and intends to leave the crowded confines of the inn.
May 29, 2018 7:33 pm
Yes, ready to head back. Not sure how much time we have left on our respective spells.
load next

Thread locked