Chapter Six: The Muster of Caltlikrath

load previous
May 30, 2018 10:19 pm
Just to recap everybody's current status:

Domarc and Mordred are trying to leave Hazard. They are magically disguised and carrying a small wooden case of gifts they received from the office of the Hierophant.

Felor, Leth, and Zangua are standing outside the Randy Pike Inn with two 6PC members who are trying to lure them to a secondary location to parley with their "teacher."

It's mid-morning on a slightly overcast autumn day.
May 30, 2018 10:27 pm
BullOctorok says:
You could try?
I was more asking CancerMan if we should proceed without the others or wait for them.
May 30, 2018 11:17 pm
"Don't see a rush," says Zangua. "We'll check him out in the morning. Why don't you two go back in and enjoy the show?"
May 30, 2018 11:24 pm
The warrior twitches. Rumio holds up a hand and throws him a quick glance. "I--I'm afraid you misunderstand me. You must come with me now, or the opportunity will be lost. Please?"

A bead of sweat rolls down his forehead.
May 31, 2018 12:04 am
Zangua says, "You boys looking a mite nervous. That ain't exactly putting me in a cooperating mood. But you have piqued my curiosity, so I'm going to ask, what happens to all of us, yourselves included, if we take too long?"
May 31, 2018 12:18 am
"Well...I will fail in the task I set out to accomplish, to broker the meeting my teacher asked for, and the chance to correct many harmful misunderstandings that have arisen will be lost."

While Rumio answers, the warrior takes a deep breath and lets it out slowly through his nose, his eyes staring straight ahead, at nothing.
May 31, 2018 3:00 am
Zangua considers the words. He glances around them, partly to see who else might be showing interest in the conversation, and partly to see where Domarc and Mordred may be. "Seems disad-vanteous to make such a short deadline to clear up mistakes. If your teacher's so keen on making sure we understand each other, he ain't acting so willing if he putting so much pressure on you and on us."
May 31, 2018 4:15 pm
There are a few people walking around nearby, but nobody seems to be paying much attention to you. There's no sign of Domarc or Mordred.

Rumio takes a deep breath. The warrior rolls his head from side to side and groans. "We only just learned of your return to Hazard," Rumio says through gritted teeth. "We came as swiftly as we could. Even now my teacher waits. We know you will not tarry here long. You have done much in the name of your friend Edvers Kells and his daughter, but you know not why he chose to serve the Six-Pronged Crown, nor why he betrayed it." He looks straight at Leth. There are tears in his eyes. "Your arrow pierced the heart of my friend and brother. But I would choose peace with you over vengeance, as would my teacher. Please, come and talk, before more lives are lost."
May 31, 2018 9:45 pm
"Convenient of you to choose peace now. Why not choose peace back when you were trying to burn down Hazard? Or when you tried kill us? What has changed?" asks Felor, skeptical of Rumio's request.

Insight - does he seem to legitimately want peace?
Last edited May 31, 2018 9:58 pm

Rolls

Insight - (1d20+3)

(14) + 3 = 17

May 31, 2018 11:55 pm
Rumio seems anxious and impatient, but he hasn't shown any signs of aggression; he's not in a combat-ready stance and has made no subtle moves toward his weapon.

"My teacher can answer for these things far better than I can," Rumio says.

~meanwhile~

Domarc and Mordred wind their way through the northeast quadrant of Hazard.

They pass a troupe of professional mourners sitting in a small public garden in their black skirts and veils, sharing a bowl of figs and having a quiet but evidently amusing discussion. They must be either just finished with a job or waiting to begin one.
Jun 1, 2018 9:23 am
Felor sighs, and turns back to Leth and Zangua and says in a low voice: "If they meant us harm, this is a strange way to go about it. They could have burnt down the inn while we slept, or ambushed us as we left the inn. I say we go, as suspect as they seem I am not one to turn down offers of peace."

Turning back to Rumio and the warrior, Felor announces "Before we leave, friends, permit me one indulgence. It is my tradition to make a prayer to Fjorgyn before an occasion such as this - to call for her blessings and luck. I'm sure you understand. Please excuse me."

Felor surveys his surroundings, and makes his way to a suitable spot for praying. Kneeling, he opens a small pouch on his belt and removes a handful of stones. Clasping them in both hands, Felor recites the Prayer To Fjorgyn For Her Guidance "Oh Fjorgyn, guide your your loyal servant. Mighty Fjorgyn, strong as granite, wise Fjorgyn, sharp as flint, compassionate Fjorgyn, gentle as sandstone, powerful Fjorgyn, deadly as obsidian. Let the stones of my homeland show the way."
With that, Felor tosses the collection of stones onto the ground and observes their arrangement. Interesting; the granite was aligned northwards, signifying of strength, and the flint was just touching the obsidian, indicating imminent conflict, but the sandstone and chalk were in a very unusual configuration.

I want to find somewhere slightly secluded (enough that the others can't directly observe what I'm up to but not necessarily completely out of sight), and cast Augury as a ritual, specifically regarding the action of going to meet the 6PC guys.
[ +- ] Augury
Jun 1, 2018 2:39 pm
The sandstone and the chalk have arranged themselves into a sign that Marn used to refer to as Fjorgyn's way of telling you that you were asking the wrong question, casting auguries about wolves when there are snakes in the sheep's pen, or something to that effect.

Even so, the ambiguity itself was some sign that no imminent death trap lay ahead.
Jun 1, 2018 8:18 pm
I'm gonna need a final answer on whether you guys are going with the 6PC or not. You can, if you want, further subdivide the party and leave one or two of you at the inn while the rest go off for the meeting.
Jun 1, 2018 8:31 pm
Zangua waits patiently while Felor consults the stones, and says aloud, "I'm thinking if we go meet your teacher, we oughta wait until the rest of me mates come back."
OOC:
About how long ago did Domarc and Mordred leave?
Jun 1, 2018 8:46 pm
Let's say 3 hours, give or take?

In response to Zangua's words, the warrior throws his head back and lets out an incoherent yell skyward. The color drains from Rumio's face and he takes a step backwards. "ENOUGH," the warrior yells, lowering his head.

For a fleeting moment, the warrior's appearance is strangely altered. It is almost as if his skin turns to paper, his clothing and eyes crudely painted on, like a straw-stuffed doll. Then his body bursts open.

Rumio staggers back, stumbling, as the warrior stretches out his wings, snapping the twine that held them pinned diagonally to his back where, seconds before, the battle axe had been strapped. His glossy white scales shine with an almost opalescent sheen as passers-by and inn patrons scream at the sudden transformation. The creature opens his mouth and lets out a piercing, bloodcurdling shriek, revealing knife-sharp teeth.

"No, no!" Rumio moans, weeping. His hand falls to the short sword on his belt, but he does not draw it. The dragonborn warrior advances on Zangua, staring at him with pink reptilian eyes.

Felor and Zangua, roll for initiative.

Edit: Leth too, if you're around!
Jun 1, 2018 9:10 pm
"Sure, peace," says Zangua, readying his glaive with a smile of grim satisfaction at having been proven correct (in his opinion).

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+2)

(5) + 2 = 7

Jun 3, 2018 9:32 pm
Felor returns from his prayers just in time to witness the transformation. "By Fjorgyn's mighty hammer!" he exclaims, reaching for his shield.

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+1)

(2) + 1 = 3

Jun 4, 2018 4:16 pm
Domarc and Mordred press on to the nearest city gate. The wide avenue leading out of Hazard is lined with peddlers, vendors, guides, and porters, looking to make some coin off of the people coming and going.

Domarc and Mordred, make a Perception roll.

~meanwhile~

"More time! I needed more time!" Rumio howls as the dragonborn charges.

Edit: The dragonborn strikes at Zangua with hands formed into rigid claws, attacking with rapid and disciplined blows.

Edit 2: Zangua takes one hard hit to the chest that knocks him backwards. He catches himself and stays upright, but only just barely.

Felor and Zangua, you're up. Until he starts posting again, Leth will take cover by some trees near the inn and attack with arrows at the end of the round.

Rolls

Rumio & Dragonborn Cultist Initiative - (1d20, 1d20+2)

1d20 : (14) = 14

1d20+2 : (12) + 2 = 14

Dragonborn attack vs Zangua - (1d20+8, 1d20+8)

1d20+8 : (1) + 8 = 9

1d20+8 : (15) + 8 = 23

Damage - (1d6+4)

(3) + 4 = 7

Jun 4, 2018 5:58 pm
Looking...

Rolls

Perception - (1d20)

(15) = 15

load next

Thread locked