Chapter Six: The Muster of Caltlikrath

load previous
Jun 4, 2018 6:08 pm
Mind still churning over the conversation with the Heirophant, Domarc is a little distracted.
Last edited June 4, 2018 6:08 pm

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(7) + 3 = 10

Jun 4, 2018 7:53 pm
Over the din of chattering travelers and street vendors, a shouted phrase stands out to Mordred, and he turns his head to look for its source. Next to a wine-seller's cart, he finds it.

"Curative ice! Curative ice from the lands beyond time. Confers vigor the to the body and tranquility to the mind," cries a young woman in a short orange dress. A mahogany box rests on her hip, attached to a strap slung across her shoulder. "Good sirs and madams, for the road ahead, curative ice..."
Jun 4, 2018 10:22 pm
Would I recognise a Dragonborn? Or would he just appear to be a strange lizard man?

No sooner has Felor raised his shield than the creature is raining blows down upon Zangua. So much for peace!
A golden bolt energy leaps from the tip of Felor's spear towards his foe.

Cast Guiding Bolt on the dragon man
OOC:
On a hit, the target takes 4d6 radiant damage, and the next attack roll made against this target before the end of your next turn has advantage, thanks to the mystical dim light glittering on the target until then.
Last edited June 4, 2018 10:23 pm

Rolls

Guiding bolt attack roll - (1d20+6)

(15) + 6 = 21

Guiding bolt damage (radiant) - (4d6)

(1125) = 9

Jun 5, 2018 2:39 pm
Mordred discreetly points the ice seller out to Domarc and walks over to her.

"Ah, excellent! I've been looking for some more of your marvelous ice all morning. I tell you, my friend Seglogron here didn't believe me when I told him how well it worked, but on our last voyage it proved so useful, he told me all the devils in the netherwerld couldn't stop him from buying more. Isn't that so, Seggy? I tell you, young woman, we are on our way back to Utwar, and I've never seen anyone selling your ice in my home city. I wonder if I could be introduced to your supplier to discuss setting up a franchise arrangement?"

I hate that y'all are in combat while we've split the party! Good luck!

Rolls

Persuasion - (1d20+8)

(19) + 8 = 27

Jun 5, 2018 3:09 pm
Not 100% sure if they are still up, but I did recast spells on us when we left the Heirophant's palace, so you might be Invisible. Or it might have expired, or we could say you've ended it or whatever.
Jun 5, 2018 4:39 pm
The invisibility/disguise spells would have expired by now.

Since Leth and Zangua have limited availability right now, we should probably hit pause on their storyline until they start posting again.

The young woman seems a bit taken aback by Mordred's aggressive approach, but shows no change in expression at any of the references he drops to Seglogron, devils, etcetera. If she finds it odd that you're approaching a northeastern gate while you're ostensibly traveling southwest to Utwar, she doesn't show that either. She glances down at her box of ice as if wondering whether sharing trade secrets will hurt her own business. In the end, she shifts back to a confident posture, smiles, and says: "I'm not supposed to tell about the supplier, but if you buy some of my ice I think I could give you a hint in the right direction. It's two silver for a single piece, or one gold for six."
Jun 5, 2018 4:49 pm
"How much for the whole box?" Domarc says. "Our other companions like this ice as well."
Jun 5, 2018 5:01 pm
Her brow furrows. "The whole box? What do you want with all this? I don't know how many pieces I've got left...maybe a hundred...I don't know why they don't just sell it in blocks to taverns and the like, seems to me that'd make more sense..." She cracks open the lid, glances inside, and shrugs. "I'll let you have all I've got for twenty gold, but I'm keeping the box itself. It's not mine and I don't know that they'd want me to sell it."
Jun 5, 2018 5:13 pm
"Selling to taverns!" Domarc says, nudging Modred. "You were right, friend, we need to move fast on this opportunity - this young lady has great business sense and will soon corner the market.

Twenty gold is steep, but I like you, young lady."

How difficult will it be to carry the ice without a box? Or is there something nearby I can get to hold it?
Jun 5, 2018 5:45 pm
If you guys don't have a Large Sack in your inventory, you can source one from one of the other peddlers nearby.

The woman looks skeptical. "You're trying to find out what's in it, aren't you? Well, good luck if you can. It doesn't taste any different than regular ice." She transfers the ice by the handful to the sack. "Head for the Boulevard of Turana and look for a man named Bord. He has pox scars that he tries to cover up with a beard that doesn't grow right. You might find him at the Green Lotus. He knows where to get the ice, but if he doesn't want to do business with you, don't make trouble for me, alright?"
Jun 5, 2018 5:51 pm
"We will make no trouble for you," Domarc assures her. "We simply want to become sellers of this ice as well!"
Jun 5, 2018 6:03 pm
After moving out of earshot of the woman, Mordred asks Domarc, "Do we have time to track down this Bord, or should we get back to our friends?"

If we want to pause that storyline a little further, I'm OK with looking for Bord now, but I'm not sure Mordred would be comfortable staying away from the others so long...
Jun 5, 2018 6:11 pm
My vote would be to head back to get the whole group, personally. But we could press on if we want, I guess.
Jun 5, 2018 6:33 pm
I think going back seems more in-character, to be honest, so let's do that. Someone write down Bord's name and address in case we want to go back later.

"Let's get back to the gang before we seek out this ice merchant, in case we need some muscle to make him talk. You're carring the bag of ice, big spender."
Jun 5, 2018 8:16 pm
"I've had money melt away on me before," Domarc says, hefting the bag of ice, "but never quite like this."
Jun 5, 2018 9:49 pm
Felor, you would recognize this person as half man, half dragon, and you would be familiar with the race of dragonborn, even if you might never have seen one in person.

Felor ducks behind his shield and lights up the dragonborn cultist with holy radiation as he advances on Zangua.

Combat will resume once Leth or Zangua return. Felor, I'm afraid you're on pause with them, unless you want to run away and further subdivide the party!

~meanwhile~

Domarc and Mordred part ways with the ice-seller and demur the advances of the other peddlers nearby, all of whom are quite impressed that she managed to sell you a few pounds of ice for 20 gold. They proceed out the city gate, passing under the thick wall encircling Hazard and stepping out onto a dirt road in the middle of a grassy expanse that borders a tree orchard and grazing fields. There are vendors outside the walls as well, but fewer of them, and it's not long before you're following the path back to the Randy Pike in relative solitude. It should only take you an hour or so before you're back with the rest of the party.
Jun 6, 2018 8:58 am
No that's cool, I was going to suggest pausing until one of them returned anyway.
Jun 6, 2018 4:37 pm
OK, we will be on semi-hiatus until Zangua and/or Leth come back, then. In the meantime, feel free to Ask Your DM Anything in the Plot Notes thread!
Jun 15, 2018 7:09 pm
OOC:
I'm back!

Since the dragonborn charged into my reach, I'd like to use a Reaction to make an Opportunity Attack from Polearm Master.
Zangua tries to ward off the charging dragonborn with quick strikes from his glaive, then swings the blunt side around as a follow-through.
[ +- ] [url=https://gamersplane.com/characters/dnd5/831/

Rolls

Opportunity Attack, Slashing Damage - (1d20+8, 1d10+5)

1d20+8 : (15) + 8 = 23

1d10+5 : (5) + 5 = 10

Glaive, Slashing Damage - (1d20+8, 1d10+5)

1d20+8 : (1) + 8 = 9

1d10+5 : (3) + 5 = 8

Extra Attack, Slashing Damage - (1d20+8, 1d10+5)

1d20+8 : (14) + 8 = 22

1d10+5 : (4) + 5 = 9

Bonus Action, Bludgeoning Damage - (1d20+8, 1d4+5)

1d20+8 : (12) + 8 = 20

1d4+5 : (3) + 5 = 8

load next

Thread locked