Chapter Six: The Muster of Caltlikrath

load previous
Jun 26, 2018 6:09 pm
Domarc smiles broadly.

"I'm glad you found your lost item. I do hope it's the right chunk of iron; they can all look so much alike. But maybe we are misunderstanding your philosophy. Tell me more about how your desired apocalypse will be a good thing. Maybe this time we'll decide it's not a bunch of hot air." He waves his hand at the steam.

Not buying it - want to roll an insight check. Edit - D'oh!

Also, I have kind of a wonky work week - not much internet connection tomorrow, so this might take a bit.
Last edited June 26, 2018 6:09 pm

Rolls

Insight check - (1d20+3)

(1) + 3 = 4

Jun 26, 2018 6:34 pm
Anyone else is free to step in and converse with Steam Gorham, Domarc isn't locked in or anything.

"Apocalypse? Rumio, have you been telling them we desire to bring about apocalypse? I fear you have been misled. The apocalypse has already happened, and if you open your eyes and look about, I think you will see the evidence of that everywhere. Bload has never known peace. The races most connected to the life and spirit of the land -- the elves, the dwarves, even the little halflings -- they abjure this island. Did you never stop to wonder why? There is a stagnation here that will spread to corrupt the entirety of the Werld if it is not reversed. Across the sea, they call Bload 'the evil land.' They are not wrong. But I have no wish to destroy Bload. I only want what little remains of this land's lifeblood to circulate again."
Jun 26, 2018 6:36 pm
Strange that this being tells us to stand down, preaching reconciliation. Why now? After all the death? Is it a trick? thinks Felor, trying to see if there was any subterfuge in the apparition's words.

Rolls

Insight check - (1d20+3)

(8) + 3 = 11

Jun 26, 2018 7:44 pm
Zangua, not trusting their location, scans the perimeter.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+6)

(2) + 6 = 8

Jun 26, 2018 9:59 pm
Zangua doesn't see any signs of an ambush, and neither Domarc or Felor can perceive any hidden meaning or motivations behind Gorham's words.
Jun 26, 2018 11:14 pm
"If the die is cast, why bother tracking us down to tell us? Why not simply 'circulate that lifeblood' and let us figure it out for ourselves?"
Last edited June 26, 2018 11:14 pm
Jun 26, 2018 11:37 pm
"The devilkin speaks! You know, Martjan and I, we have debated whether you and Zora were lovers or not. Don't tell me -- I prefer the mystery. But you ask an excellent question. I tell you in the hopes that you will stop turning over rocks and chasing shadows to find believers in the Six-Pronged Crown to kill. While I like to think I have an enlightened attitude toward mortality and death, it yet grieves me to see those who follow my teachings struck down for their beliefs. And while we no longer need to play keep-away games with the Iron Sphere, there is work yet to be done...you are capable men, all of you, and I am an optimist. I like to think that there may yet be roles for you to play in the revivification of Bload."
Jun 27, 2018 8:25 am
"Do tell, creature. How is it that we can help you, master of a cult with so many adherents across Bload? Why do you need us? Why not kill us and be done?"
Last edited June 27, 2018 8:26 am
Jun 27, 2018 4:16 pm
Zangua mutters in an aside, "Funny how he thinks we seek them to kill. So far they's been doing all the seeking."
Jun 27, 2018 4:34 pm
The devilkin speaks! You know, Martjan and I, we have debated whether you and Zora were lovers or not. Don't tell me -- I prefer the mystery.

This guy's a real peach. Can I kill someone over icefirephone?
Jun 27, 2018 4:43 pm
Zangua says, even quieter, "Well, except for that one wet wizard guy."
Jun 27, 2018 5:06 pm
"We've tried killing you, with little success. Now that the Iron Sphere is found, I've decided to try a different approach. But we can only speak together in this manner for so long. Seventeen miles up the Stonecutter's Road is a village called Alband. In the holy house there you will find an old priest of my acquaintance who can arrange for us to meet under circumstances more pleasant and less constrained."

The steam is starting to thin out, but you can still see the face, faint and ghostly.
Jun 28, 2018 4:51 pm
"Your patter of trying to convince us we're the bad guys might be more convincing if you hadn't just said you've been trying to kill us this whole time, Gorham," Domarc says. "The fact that you haven't been successful...well, that speaks for itself. And then you want us to show up somewhere for a meeting? How many chances do you expect us to give you?"
Jun 28, 2018 6:06 pm
"I expect you to give me nothing. I have only gifts to offer you, gifts of knowledge and of friendship. You may reject them if you like, and continue to wander this land. You will know the day when the Crown comes to rest upon the head it was destined for."

The last of the steam hisses out of the fire, and the face vanishes.
Jun 28, 2018 10:17 pm
OOC:
this is why i didn't want to go to Vorch lol
Leth stares into air where the steam had been for a long moment before dryly saying, "Well... now what?"
Jun 29, 2018 2:02 am
"I could not tell if he was bluffing about the Sphere," Domarc says. "I do not know his tells, and steam is hard to read. But his words were designed to provoke those of us he thought he could."

He looks at Rumio. "Has this one told us all he knows? His fate should be decided before we take our own counsel."
Jun 29, 2018 9:42 am
OOC:
Quote:
might be more convincing if you hadn't just said you've been trying to kill us this whole time, Gorham
Read this with lots of sarcastic emphasis on the "Gorham" and it made me laugh
"He kept to his word of a peaceful meeting, and did not draw his blade even when his companion lost patience. So his fate should reflect that. Whether there is more information to be gleaned... I don't know."
Jun 29, 2018 4:50 pm
You can see fear in Rumio's face, but he stands with a stoic bearing. "My duty is done. I will answer truthfully any question you put to me, but I will not betray the secrets I have sworn to keep. If you let me go, I will return to my clade in Hazard, and you will receive no trouble from me."
Jun 29, 2018 5:15 pm
mighT Be MORe conviNCiNg iF yOU hAdN't JuST sAid YOu'Ve beEN TryiNg tO kiLL uS thIs WHolE time, gORhAm

"How did you find us? How does the Crown always find us? We can't trust your masters when they can see all that we say and do, but hide themselves behind shadows and steam."
Last edited June 29, 2018 5:15 pm
Jun 29, 2018 5:46 pm
Rumio hesitates for a moment before answering. "Master Gorham is highly skilled in divinatory magic."
load next

Thread locked