The Daimyo's Gambit - Game Thread

load previous
Jul 14, 2015 3:18 pm
Cassandra takes advantage of her position to the south of the group, moving forward as far as she judges she can easily throw one of her darts. She aims for the hobgoblin who has just escaped her vines and armed himself.
I take it that the last two hobgoblin's don't have cover from my angle. Moving up to my full 30ft to close range: 20 ft

Rolls

Dart - (1d20+4)

(20) + 4 = 24

Dart damage - (1d4+2)

(1) + 2 = 3

Crit - (1d4)

(3) = 3

Jul 15, 2015 3:03 am
Kildrak takes a moment to pick his targets again. He settles on the hobgoblin attacking Cassandra and the one still entangled. He let's out a gutteral roar and the dark energies streak toward their targets.

((Apologies, I have used Eldritch blast wrong a few times because I get two bolts at 5th level and I have to roll for each one of them every time. I don't think its caused to much hassle, but I will remember from now on.))

Rolls

Agonizing Eldritch Blast Attk vs Hob fighting Cassandra - (1d20+6)

(4) + 6 = 10

Agonizing Eldritch Blast damage - (1d10+3)

(5) + 3 = 8

Agonizing Eldritch Blast Attk vs Entangled hob - (1d20+6)

(1) + 6 = 7

Advantage Agonizing Eldritch Blast Attk vs Entangled Hob - (1d20+6)

(11) + 6 = 17

Agonizing Eldritch Blast Damage vs Entangled Hob - (1d10+3)

(2) + 3 = 5

Jul 15, 2015 3:09 am
"YES!" Ai Shan bellows as another target comes toward him. "CHUM THE WATERS!" Gore sprays from his sword as he swings it with unnatural speed toward the hobgoblin coming toward him.

Rolls

attk 1 - (1d20+6)

(17) + 6 = 23

dmg 1 - (2d6+3)

(46) + 3 = 13

attk 2 - (1d20+6)

(3) + 6 = 9

dmg 2 - (2d6+3)

(16) + 3 = 10

Jul 15, 2015 4:18 am
Urki and Kidrak target the same unfortunate hobgoblin stuck in the vines and the bolt combined with the eldritch blast tears a chunk out of his midsection. Ai Shan rips his sword from neck to navel of the hobgolbin that advanced on him. Cassandra hit the newly freed hobgoblin with a dart straight to the neck and the hobgoblin drops his shield to hold the wound closed while shock registers on his ugly face. Feng swipes at the captain who deftly avoids the worst of the hits only to dodge strait into an unexpected talon. Even so, he shakes off the stun and returns attack on the aarakocra. He yells a command at the hobgoblin holding his neck who is able to shake out of the the shock and advance on Feng, sword in hand. The two work together to punish the bird the best they can. The hobgoblin seige soldier does his best to harry the monk while the Captain delivers two punishing strikes. After he slices into Feng he reaches down to his side and unclips a small horn from his belt.

Feng takes 28 damage from two attacks. The Captain and a single hobgoblin still stand.

Rolls

Massive Damage - (1d20+1)

(13) + 1 = 14

Massive Damage - (1d10)

(5) = 5

Stun - (1d20+1)

(17) + 1 = 18

Hobgoblin Leadership - (1d4)

(1) = 1

Captain Greatsword Attack 1 vs Feng - (1d20+4)

(15) + 4 = 19

Damage - (2d6+2)

(43) + 2 = 9

Captain Greatsword Attack 1 vs Feng - (1d20+4)

(13) + 4 = 17

Damage - (2d6+2)

(42) + 2 = 8

Martial Advantage on Hit - (3d6)

(155) = 11

Hobgoblin Longsword Attack on Feng - (1d20+3)

(10) + 3 = 13

Damage - (1d8+1)

(5) + 1 = 6

Martial Advantage on Hit - (2d6)

(52) = 7

Jul 15, 2015 4:48 pm
Cassandra cries out, "Shit! Get the f-ing horn!"

As she speaks, the glass tip of her staff glows green, and from her shield hand sprouts a preternaturally long cat o'nine tails.

If possible: She directs the attack not at the hobgoblin captain himself, but at his horn, aiming to pull it out of his hand.

If not: She lashes into the hobgoblin captain, hoping to incapacitate him before he can use the horn. She also pulls him 10 feet closer to her and away from the wounded Feng.
Last edited July 15, 2015 4:51 pm

Rolls

Thorn Whip Melee Spell Attack - (1d20+7)

(17) + 7 = 24

If not: damage - (2d6)

(13) = 4

Jul 15, 2015 7:51 pm
Thanks to Cassandra's warning, Kildrak sees the captain going for his horn. He turns his attention now on the captain, trying to kill the sub-human before he can raise more alarm than the party already has.

Rolls

Agonizing Eldritch Blast Attk vs Hob captain (1st bolt) - (1d20+6)

(7) + 6 = 13

Agonizing Eldritch Blast damage - (1d10+3)

(6) + 3 = 9

Agonizing Eldritch Blast vs Hob captain (2nd bolt) - (1d20+6)

(9) + 6 = 15

Agonizing Eldritch Blast damage (2nd bolt) - (1d10+3)

(9) + 3 = 12

Jul 15, 2015 8:12 pm
Woah, Feng! I got you buddy!

Rolls

Cure Wounds 2nd level (2d8 + spellcast modifier 6(or is it 3) and life domain 4) - (2d8+10)

(71) + 10 = 18

Jul 15, 2015 11:06 pm
Seeing the hobgoblin captain raising his horn out of the corner of his eye, Ai Shan rushes to attack before his last target even has the chance to hit the ground.

If I'm reading the distances correctly, I should be able to reach the captain and attack in a single round with a movement speed of 40'

Rolls

attk 1 - (1d20+6)

(7) + 6 = 13

dmg 1 - (2d6+3)

(55) + 3 = 13

attk 2 - (1d20+6)

(19) + 6 = 25

dmg 2 - (2d6+3)

(65) + 3 = 14

Jul 16, 2015 7:20 am
The hobgoblin's vicious attacks wound Fēng grievously. He staggers slightly and fights the urge to fly straight up to regain the upper hand - if he flies, he may be spotted by other mangonel crews! Through the haze of pain he sees the captain raise a horn to his lips to sound the alarm, and the young monk channels his energy for one last flurry before he blacks out. Suddenly he hears Cassandra yell and sees the horn fly out of the hobgoblin's hand! At the same time he hears Urki's voice and feels some of his strength returning. Fēng goes into an airborne twist, torso parallel to the ground, spear whirling to strike with spearhead and haft, his wings wrapped protectively around his vitals: Northern Whirlwind Defense
2 weapon strikes [Stunning] as usual, but no Flurry this time. Using bonus action to Dodge instead [Patient Defense]
Depending on outcomes this will burn 2-3 ki. I'll be either down to 1 or all out.
Last edited July 16, 2015 8:05 am

Rolls

Spearhead - (1d20+7)

(7) + 7 = 14

Haft - (1d20+7)

(3) + 7 = 10

Spearhead damage - (1d8+4)

(5) + 4 = 9

Haft damage - (1d8+4)

(3) + 4 = 7

Jul 16, 2015 5:29 pm
As a team you converge on the epicenter of the battler. Cassandra shoots verdant energies from her hands and summoms a thirsty sea vine that smells of kelp. It grasps the horn with a squelching noise as it rips it from the captains hands. Urki, thinking back to his time in Dragonwick and his team then, refused to let this companion fall. Ai Shan steps forward along with Kildrak and Feng to deal a punishing blow while the other two harry him, opening him up to the attack. The great sword of the southern peoples cuts through the captain, splashing even the bamboo in the vile black blood of the hobgoblins.

The final hobgoblin holding his neck closed with his hand looks at the five of you, each with the captain's blood on you, and drops his sword and falls to his knees.
Jul 16, 2015 6:45 pm
Breathing heavily, Fēng grasps Urki's shoulder in wordless thanks. Then he searches the hobgoblin captain's corpse for a spyglass or similar implement for sighting targets. "Cassandra has secured the horn, yes? That was a close call. Surely there are other defense emplacements nearby." He addresses the lone survivor, "You'd best tell us their positions unless you want my friends here to fire you from that mangonel."
Jul 16, 2015 6:51 pm
"Let's get som' cov'r too I'think. Back into the trees. He can'a spill his guts abou'their defenses, or'we can just spill his guts!"
Last edited July 16, 2015 6:52 pm

Rolls

Intimidation on the prisoner hobgoblin (in case he isn't intimidated enough) - (1d20+6)

(13) + 6 = 19

Jul 16, 2015 8:26 pm
"Yeah, back to the trees guys. Let's try and be a little safe. Does anyone else need some healing. Feng you need a healing word on you buddy? That escalated quickly."

Urki looks at the final hobgoblin and decides he needs the healing.

"Here! feel this, if you don't give us the information I'll give you all the pain right back.

Rolls

Cure Wounds on hobgoblin - (1d8+10)

(6) + 10 = 16

Jul 17, 2015 5:16 pm
Heeding Kildrak and Urki's warning, and not trusting the hobgoblin to speak the truth to Fēng, Cassandra goes back to the treeline, but then moves as close to the edge of cliff as she can within the forest. She hopes to find a place from where she can see along the cliff and take stock of the other mangonel positions. She finds it weird to be doing this kind of thing from landward, and even weirder that at the base of the cliff is not sea, but paddy fields.

Rolls

Stealth (advantage for being in the forest) - (1d20+1)

(12) + 1 = 13

Stealth (advantage for being in the forest) - (1d20+1)

(11) + 1 = 12

Perception - (1d20+7)

(20) + 7 = 27

Jul 18, 2015 7:09 pm
Fēng nods his agreement to his companions' call for stealth. What had gotten into him? The Sanctuary Masters had often scolded him for such lapses in restraint. "Though we have heard of stupid haste in war, cleverness has never been seen associated with long delays." Fēng would often quote defiantly. But only afterwards when he was alone - when there were no Masters to rap his wing joints with a cudgel.

"We had best conceal these bodies as well." the young monk says, and drags the hobgoblin captain's body into the treeline. He tosses the fallen captain's ōdachi to Ai Shan, then resumes searching for something useful like a spyglass, map, keys or the like. As he does this he looks expectantly at their captive. "I asked you a question."
Jul 18, 2015 11:47 pm
Fēng drags the captain's body to cover and throws the sword over to the barbarian. The other bodies continue to roast in the late morning sun. He finds what he is looking for in a side pouch of the captain's: an eight inch collapsible telescope made of brass and embellished with semi-precious stones.

Cassandra looks from the edge of the cliff and surveys the land. She sees in her head stellar eagles at the perch. But here, now, she was the perched bird. She could see the vista of paddies down below. A farmer and his family finish pushing the cart up from the muck, having cut ties with the dead ox. Small poorly thatched buildings and pensive goblin faces looking up towards the cliff face make up the village down below. The cliff on which Cassandra sits stretches and spirals up and in towards the center of the mountain. It completes at least another loop from where you are now on the spiral and you can see the cliff face that sits behind your perch and looks down at you. For the time being she doesn't see any more active firing siege weapons along the cliffs but can see more than a few batteries set up for defense along the cliff wall. She can't see over the cliffs edge behind and above her but can sense that a battery over head would make sense.

The hobgoblin captive shakes to see the froth at Kidlrak's mouth directed toward him as he is shuffled to within the tree line. Urki comes over and heals him with a touch of malice in his voice. Fēng reiterates his question looking with unfliching eyes at the captive. He spits out a few choice words with fear of the superior force arrayed against him, "Nib larg Ocm'nom. No speak! No speak Common!"

As Ai Shan holds the ōdachi in his hands, he notices a familiar symbol on the scabbard of the blade. It is that of two entwined droplets of blood around a sword. It is the makers' mark of the Blood Brothers.
Jul 19, 2015 6:55 pm
Fēng notes Ai Shan's intense study of the ōdachi and, knowing nothing of the man's past, mistakes it for a warrior's admiration for a well-crafted weapon. "A thing of beauty. I thought it might suit you."

The monk then turns his attention back to their prisoner, which he now binds and gags to stop his jabbering. He confers with Kildrak & Urki. "Do either of you speak goblin? If not then this prisoner is useless. We'd best double his bonds and hide him. Speaking of which, I'll should see to those corpses." He drags the hobgoblin corpses over to where their captain lies and does his best to conceal them in the underbrush. Finally, Fēng confers with Cassandra. With the aid of the captain's spyglass he confirms the position of each battery she points out, and tries to spot any that she might have missed.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(18) + 3 = 21

Stealth - (1d20+7)

(10) + 7 = 17

Jul 19, 2015 8:52 pm
"Nope, no Goblin talk here... Maybe we should just end him. I have no love for goblin-folk."
Jul 20, 2015 1:44 am
Kildrak picks a piece of bamboo and makes quick work of blasting it into a crude stylus. Then he blasts the ground in a 3'circle to make a patch of dirt. He draws a crude outline of the fortifications and puts an x where the first catapult is then points at it, then at the x again. Then he puts the stick at the hobgoblins feet and says "More. Where are the others?"
Jul 20, 2015 4:56 am
The hobgoblin looks down at Kildrak's drawing and then back at the warlock. He takes the stick fearfully and begins to draw Xs where you can only assume are more batteries. He draws them all the way around the spiral, one every sixty degrees or so. He draws the rest of the spiral as well. He draws a square at the center and one about halfway up.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.