The Daimyo's Gambit - Game Thread

Jun 15, 2015 10:16 pm
The road has been long to get here to the mountain kingdom of Rosham. It has been four weeks since you left Agartha. Four weeks since Desiree, leader of the Ouroboros Guild, brought the five of you together, each representing the special interests of the Agarthan merchants or their own machinations. Four long, drudging weeks have passed defending yourselves from pathetic bandits or wandering monsters that did not realize the calibur of adventurers your unseeming lot represented.

The road you have been traveling on has drawn nearer the mountain home of Shimazu, a warlord of old whose family has controlled the eastern range for generations. Stories and rumors have told of their stranglehold being the result of an ancient samurai guardian spirit or even in some cases an ancient Oni that watches over the clan and guides them through the ages but such stories come from the mouths of peasants and always differ from town to town. What hasn't changed however are the stories of Shimazu's cruelty. As you have gotten closer and closer to his home, the roadside villages have been more and more abandoned. Full fields of rice lay rotting in the paddies, and it is only just autumn. Here and there, some villagers have stayed and have warned you against the road ahead but even their scars and broken homes are not enough to turn you from your mission, to retrieve the Amulet of the Dragonstones. You signed a contract and for those of you who that means anything to, completion is key. Even those of you whose word is less than bond are still attracted to the road ahead for the sheer payout or danger, both of which promise to be high.

As dusk approaches at the end of a long day of travel, the setting sun behind you, the mountain looming ahead of you, and thick forest to either side of the road, Cassandra's ears pick up. Someone or something is moving in the forests to the south of you. A large group. You can hear them slow at your approach as well as their whispers they meant to keep secret. You have heard the gutteral sounds of Goblin before even if you can not understand the course speech. From the sounds of it though, there are many and it does not seem as if they realize you have noticed them.
Jun 16, 2015 7:43 am
My feet ache and my pack seems heavier than when I started even though my rations have dwindled. Following the others through the forest trails up to the home of Shimazu I have time to think. My mind drifts back and forth from gold and treasure all the way to pain and death. I have no idea what I've gotten into, the Oroboros Guild seems interested in just the payout of these adventures. If they aren't looking out for their employees then I'm in the same spot I was 2 months ago.

I am very used to staring at butts while going up hills and waiting (praying) for some action. Cassandra turns her head just slightly and I know they heard something. The first chance I get I tried to hide, my clunky armor making noise, and I tuck behind a tree.

As I am observing what is going on I think to myself "I need to purchase a breastplate, this crap armor is too loud."

Rolls

Stealth (disadvantage) - (1d20+9, 1d20+9)

1d20+9 : (9) + 9 = 18

1d20+9 : (17) + 9 = 26

Jun 16, 2015 4:05 pm
Cassandra is terrified. On the high seas she knows how to face down countless enemies, but she has still to really gain her land legs. She motions to the others the direction of the danger, and then backs away, trying to keep her animal calm, trying to find a hiding place from where she can be helpful if things should turn violent.

OOC How windy is it? Just planning ahead for maybe using Fog Cloud. Also would it be reasonable to assume I've seen a brown bear over the last month?
Last edited June 16, 2015 4:51 pm

Rolls

Animal Handling - (1d20+7)

(17) + 7 = 24

Stealth - (1d20+1)

(11) + 1 = 12

Jun 16, 2015 6:44 pm
Fēng understand Cassandra's silent warnings and moves to hide. Thinking that if there is to be a fight more advantage can be gained if the group flanks their foes, Fēng heads for the foliage across the road opposite Urki's hiding place. Further more, he flies up to the top-most tree branches where he will have the best vantage point to sight the approaching goblin troop. He keeps a watchful gaze on the road but puts himself in the meditative state and the bodily pose for The Warrior's Calm Before Battle.
Last edited June 16, 2015 10:25 pm

Rolls

Stealth. - (1d20+7)

(17) + 7 = 24

Jun 17, 2015 2:48 am
As the team moves to take up positions, a light breeze rolls through leaves of orange and red. Kildrak and Ai Shan seem nonplus as the other three hide.

Urki, though your chain mail makes it difficult, you move lithely through the trees and hide, waiting for a chance to strike.

Cassandra, your horse winnies softly and snorts as you calm it down but it quiets down and stays in place as you back away slowly to the other side of the road.

Fēng, As you rise to the higher boughs of the maples you can see the assemblage of goblins before you. There are at least sixteen of the creatures, nine of them are armed and have their hands on their weapons as they crouch, furtive looks on their faces. All are carrying loaded packs. You can see they have noticed, maybe not those that are hidden, but that your group has stopped in the road. The nine quietly creep into a line between the road and the remaining goblins.
Jun 17, 2015 3:45 am
Kildrak, sitting like a lord atop his cart, chuckles at the gensai woman. "Don't worry your pretty little head, mer-maid, the lot of us can handle anything this wood can muster. We'll 'ave ye back on your cursed ships with 'narry a scratch on ya."

He sounds confident but, but he gets ready anyway, palming the purple crystal he focuses his spells through and easing his battleaxe onto his lap, making it ready. His goats seem unimpressed by anything going on around them as they plod on with their heads down.
Jun 17, 2015 4:41 am
Sorry, they aren't advancing just repostioning themselves. Only Feng can see them moving right now though they don't see Feng.

However, you do know something is there and could stride up and walk right into them and say your taunt and keep your roll if you want. Actually you don't even have to know what's there, you can challenge them anyway since you at least know something is there.
Jun 17, 2015 6:10 am
Got it!

Ai Shan, hearing the approaching group, watches his traveling companions melt into the trees from the corners of his eyes. Goading his horse a few steps so he's even with Kildrak's cart, he starts into a jovial tale.

"You know, it's not true that dwarves can't sail. In fact, one of the best sailors I know is a dwarf. Well, knew. He drowned. That bugger could sail, but he sure couldn't swim in rough seas with those stubby little legs!" he laughs and takes out a javelin, twirling it idly in his ready hand.
Jun 17, 2015 7:05 am
I peer through the trees trying to see what Feng is looking towards. I Wonder if it is an Owlbear or something similar.

I, as quietly as possible creep towards the... I'm not even sure but I go that direction. Slowly moving from tree to tree in my LOUD AS CRAP armor muffled only by my black cloak. I ready my crossbow and keep my eyes and ears focused up the road. All I can hear from my current position is Ai Shan talk about dwarves and sailing. "ugh, dwarves" I mutter.
Last edited June 17, 2015 7:07 am

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+3)

(4) + 3 = 7

1d20+9 : (8) + 9 = 17

1d20+9 : (19) + 9 = 28

Jun 17, 2015 1:46 pm
The two groups seem to be at an impasse. The Masters teach restraint and prudence, even in battle, but there is no use skulking about like a sewer rat, so Fēng leaves his hiding place. What is Ai Shan doing?! Clearly, he is trying to intimidate the goblins. That is wise, for it is taught, "The supreme warrior subdues the enemy without fighting." But why does talk of dwarves instead of coming forward and challenging the goblins directly?

Fēng wings over to Ai Shan, circling overhead. "Sixteen goblins. Nine are armed and taking defensive positions. The others carry packs filled with I know not what. Do you intend to taunt them into carelessness or do we take the fight to them? I shall watch from above and follow your lead." the young monk soars straight up into the air to circle high above, tracing the patterns of the battle form Falcon Guards the Summit.
Last edited June 18, 2015 9:27 pm
Jun 17, 2015 5:03 pm
"Nine f*****g goblins?" comes an unladylike voice from behind the bushes. "I crapped myself over nine armed goblins? And less of the mermaid, shortarse!"

She ties her horse to a tree and emerges onto the road, holding onto branches to keep her balance as if she were moving along a ship's deck.

"Let's 'ave 'em then. Once I catch sight of them, I can see 'ow mother nature can 'elp us against 'em. Are they plannin' on shootin', Feng? Or do they look like they want to board us, er charge us?". Looking round at everyone she says, "And what's our plan of attack? Makes a diff'rence to what spell I choose, see."
Last edited June 17, 2015 5:08 pm
Jun 17, 2015 5:27 pm
[OOC: Fēng is flying much too high to hear what anyone says. At any rate, the GM hasn't specified what kind if weapons the goblins are armed with.]
Jun 17, 2015 9:29 pm
Fēng flies up into the air, focusing his ki with his forms, drawing in his potential energy waiting to strike from on high. However, as you fly straight up, you lose the goblins through the canopy above them. Unable to hear your compatriots you watch from on high to follow their actions.

Cassandra lets loose a string of profanity that Ai Shan is all too familiar with as a former sailor himself. The three of you, including Kildrak are still on the road, with the dwarf still plodding ahead on his ram.

Because of your position Urki, I will give you advantage to Perception. I'll go ahead and roll it to keep things going and because it'll decide if you actually see the gobs as they move to stealth.

Urki, you can clearly see them now. While your team prepares for battle, you can make out the line of goblins that have positioned themselves in front of the others. The nine in front have ropy muscles, small as they are, they look tough as nails, ranging from young to elderly. One middle aged goblin stands in the center, wearing a chain shirt while the other eight wear leather. All bear at least some sort of weapon whether makeshift clubs made from boards with nails hammered through all the way up to the leader's ivory handled wakizashi. However, you notice something else as well as you peak from behind the mossy tree. The seven goblins that stand behind are clearly female. All sixteen of them have furtive gazes and when Cassandra starts swearing, you see the nine brace themselves for battle.

Rolls

Urki Perception Advantage Second Roll - (1d20+3)

(14) + 3 = 17

Jun 18, 2015 3:12 am
Ai stops and pulls his horse around as Cassandra comes out of the trees.

"Well, lass, if it's a fight they want and right here on the road, that's fine by me. Maybe fine by some others hanging out and up the road, too. Small fare for plunder, though."

He draws his sword with his offhand in case they close.
Jun 18, 2015 4:17 am
Kildrak moves the cart a little farther up the path before hopping down and securing the cart. He turns back around and prepares for whatever is coming next.
Jun 18, 2015 6:59 am
Urki maintains his position just a little ahead of the others. He steady's his crossbow on his elbow aimed at the Goblin in a chain shirt.

If he moves any closer Urki will let loose a bolt, in his hidden position he's positive he can hit the leader harder than normal.

Urki looks back at his comrades and just allows them to stir up the action. He waves them forward and then gives them a *thumbs up*

If I'm hidden I should have advantage on an attack roll, correct?
Jun 18, 2015 7:05 pm
Seeing Urki's signal, Cassandra moves towards the goblins with a much more confident air. She looks carefully over the edge of her raised shield, and hefts her driftwood staff, ready to cast Shillelagh if combat breaks out. Having said that, she has no particular preference for killing over letting live, so she is also ready to talk if the goblins are not immediately aggressive.

Rolls

Wisdom (Perception), proficient: Looking for signs of violence or willingness to talk - (1d20+7)

(18) + 7 = 25

Jun 18, 2015 9:26 pm
Fēng realizes that if he has lost sight of the goblins then they most likely have lost sight of him. The Masters' teachings come to him again, "Should the enemy strengthen his van, he will weaken his rear; should he strengthen his rear, he will weaken his van; should he strengthen his left, he will weaken his right; should he strengthen his right, he will weaken his left. If he sends reinforcements everywhere, he will everywhere be weak."

Remembering the goblins' defensive position with their combatants in the front line, Fēng begins maneuvering in a wide arc to surprise the enemy from the rear.

http://cs624524.vk.me/v624524166/1fde4/69Vsg7yOUWs.jpg
Last edited June 18, 2015 9:28 pm
Jun 18, 2015 9:51 pm
As Cassandra moves forward defensively, you see some of the younger goblins pull back and the center goblin calls out to the flanks. Whatever he says emboldens them and they find resolve to stand firm. He still has only his hand on his blade, ready to draw it and blood in the same moment but you can see it now, staring them down face to face. There is fear in their eyes. You can see some of the elderly goblins that make up the flanks are missing limbs, hands cut off at the wrist, wooden legs from the knees down. The fear looks fresher and less hidden in the eyes and body language of the younger goblins but in the older ones, and in the eyes one in the center, it is mixed with pure resolve. They will fight you to the death if such must be the case. Urki supports you from your left and you can tell that they are focused on you and your advance. Ai Shan and Kildrak have not advanced but they support you from the rear.

Meanwhile, Fēng, you are lost in the canopy above them as you move to flank them from the rear. Knowing their relative position, you manuever into place to drop behind their numbers and strike in accordance with the teachings of the arts of war that you were taught. Your masters, if they showed such emotions between their hard lessons, would surely be proud that you have learned their lessons so well.

Be sure to seperate character knowledge and player knowledge.
Jun 18, 2015 10:41 pm
I see Cassandra and the Goblins stare each other down and am unsure about her next move. I whisper a spell to myself thaumaturgy and shake the ground underneath the Goblins, trying to frighten them or give Cassandra and the others the jump.

I hope they didn't hear me whisper that.
Last edited June 18, 2015 10:42 pm

Rolls

1d20+9 : (9) + 9 = 18

1d20+9 : (3) + 9 = 12

load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.