The Daimyo's Gambit - Game Thread

load previous
Jul 25, 2015 4:10 pm
Cassandra looks at the faces of each of her companions. No one is offering the leadership she finds so comforting, but their body language tells her most of them at least want to move on, which as a seafarer she understands only too well.

"Come on everyone, let's get a move on before more of these f*ers arrive. I'll keep me ears and eyes open, and if need be Mother Nature will 'ide us. Let's go slow though and stay close, we're walkin' into a shoal of sharks 'ere."

Cassandra moves away from the position slowly, up the steep slope through the woods, assuming her companions will come with her.

I suggest we travel at a slow pace so that we can use Stealth. Cassandra will have Pass Without Trace ready, and at the first sign of danger will cast it. Relying on passive perception 17 - the hobgoblins at least are probably not being stealthy on their own mountain. From the discussion on the ooc thread, I take it we're travelling now, but not directly approaching the fortress until night time.
Last edited July 25, 2015 4:12 pm

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+1)

(15) + 1 = 16

Jul 25, 2015 7:48 pm
"Right, c'mon," says the rangy barbarian. "Let's get around this mountain," he says waving his hand low. "Easy is quiet and quiet is quick." He melts into the growth on the way to the rear ascent.
Last edited July 25, 2015 7:49 pm

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+5)

(19) + 5 = 24

Jul 25, 2015 8:14 pm
The group moves as one through the limited cover ascending the mountain. Cassandra leads the way and Ai Shan leads the group behind her. As she leads, Cassandra spots a patrol of Hobgoblins and motions for everyone to stop. They pass and she waves the group forward again. Ai Shan pads forward silently and helps the group find paths that won't leave evidence of their passing. The ascent looms in front of you, full of nooks and crannies for you to scurry to but should you be seen or tracked, you will be forced into conflict.

The skill challenge has begun including the two stealth rolls. More in arbitration.
Jul 26, 2015 2:40 am
As the group progresses up the mountain, Kildrak begins to worry that thaley aren't being as stealthy as they need to be. He suggests trying to lay a false trail. When he finds what he thinks is a opportune place he suggests they lay down a trail headed in the wrong direction and double back.

I hope someone else can roll Survival, Kildrak may have had a poor upbringing , but it was pretty urban, not one in the wild.

Edit: Damn, sometimes these dice seem to have it in for me.
Last edited July 26, 2015 2:41 am

Rolls

Deception to lay a false trail - (1d20+6)

(1) + 6 = 7

Jul 26, 2015 7:26 am
"Yes, a false trail is a good idea, I'm going to burn the bloody grass and make it look as normal as possible.

Urki sprays a few times of his oil and lights it in a controlled fashion.

Rolls

Survival (fire/cover up) - (1d20+3)

(17) + 3 = 20

Jul 27, 2015 4:56 am
As the group travels, Master Li's teaching echoes through Fēng's mind as he focuses his ki to flow outward and be one with the terrain. "Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way round or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves. Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water my friend."

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+7)

(20) + 7 = 27

if advantage - (1d20+7)

(14) + 7 = 21

Jul 27, 2015 9:37 pm
The party moves with preternatural stealth as they climb higher and higher up the mountain. You can see now that the forest is beginning to clear away and the climb is becoming more hardscrabble. The patrols near the midpoint up the mountain become less and less and it has been at least four hours since you left the mangonel when you can hear a clarion call from where you started. You can observe in the hobgoblin patrols you can see an alert course through them and their eyes narrow as patrols redouble below you investigating the scene you left behind.

Here without the cover of trees, darkness will be your only friend but the sun is only just starting its journey down to the horizon. Ai Shan and Feng however have been watching the patrols carefully and are able to instruct the party on when is best to move. The ascent begins to be steeply graded and most of you have to use your hands to help climb up the mountain as you dart from spot to spot to avoid the watchful eyes of the patrols. Above you, and a decent journey away, you can see the final landing before the straight vertical ascent to reach the palace. If infiltration is your goal, then that is your destination and the best place to rest before the final push.

Ai Shan and Feng can give advantage to stealth on this round.
Jul 28, 2015 2:44 pm
Although the open sky offers some threat, it makes Cassandra feel more at home than the cover of trees. She keeps her eyes wide open for any danger, especially from above.

Using my inspiration for advantage. Playing to Cassandra's strengths, and assuming others can cover the Stealth and Survival rolls.

Rolls

Perception (advantage) - (1d20+7)

(15) + 7 = 22

Perception (advantage) - (1d20+7)

(7) + 7 = 14

Jul 28, 2015 8:10 pm
"Friends, please step lighter. We are leaving footprints like crazy use your toes, don't dig your heels in and no sudden movements. We had to do this often when we passed Orc encampments while I was employed with Dragosense. This is more so we are not tracked on our way."

Urki attempts to teach them how to pass through an area sight unseen.

Rolls

Survival (teaching others tricks) - (1d20+6)

(10) + 6 = 16

Jul 29, 2015 3:25 am
Ai Shan melts up the rocky face, thinking of home. Compared to the sheer white cliffs of his hunting grounds, this climb is as easy as a walk in the garden.
Last edited July 29, 2015 3:26 am

Rolls

stealth - (1d20+5)

(18) + 5 = 23

stealth (advantage) - (1d20+5)

(15) + 5 = 20

Jul 29, 2015 3:43 am
"No nee'ta 'ell a dwarf how ta climb a hill, gnome." Kildrak says under his breath. His tone is gruff but not angry. He is mostly concentrating on being careful.

Rolling Athletics to help the group climb safely.

Edit: Son of a Bit...that's literally two rolls in a row! I haven't rolled dice except in this thread in like a week. That's amazing.
Last edited July 29, 2015 3:47 am

Rolls

Athletics to help us climb safely - (1d20+3)

(1) + 3 = 4

Jul 30, 2015 3:50 pm
The group begins to wind and wend it's way to the landing. Urki teaches the party with some success how to leave less tracks while also laying down some false trails of his own. Meanwhile, Ai Shan guides the party on routes with the most cover, what little of it there is, keeping them from the prying eyes of random patrols. Just as he is about to sprint out and make for the next point, Cassandra touches his shoulder and points off to the left where a group of hobgoblins a smoking a pipe in the dusk. If not for the cherry of their smoking, they would have been hard to spot. The party waits them out and then moves as one when ideal. They reach the base of the landing. From here, the ascent is near vertical. Once they reach the landing though, they will be beyond the notice of the guards below and directly underneath the shoin-zukuri mansion above. Kildrak moves to fasten some pitons and being climbing but falls back to the party when a handhold crumbles to his weight.
Jul 30, 2015 4:19 pm
"Give me your ropes. I will find a fastening point at the top. Pitons as well, if necessary." Feng takes the equipment and flies stealthily up.

Rolls

stealth - (1d20+7)

(15) + 7 = 22

Jul 30, 2015 5:38 pm
"Who else'd like some 'elp getting up there? I know I would!" says Cassandra, eyeing the cliff face and fidgeting with her staff.

Cassandra can cast Enhance Ability to help two people with the climb, perhaps including herself. See the Rules Arbitration thread for more discussion of this.
Last edited July 30, 2015 5:41 pm
Jul 30, 2015 7:47 pm
"Feng, take this to hook the rope somewhere."

Urki takes out a grappling hook and hands it to Cass.

"This should be a good start for you, I seem to have misplaced my rope, though. Cass, you got anything in that staff of yours to make me lighter? hah I don't think I've ever heard a 40lb gnome say that! heh."
Last edited July 30, 2015 7:49 pm
Aug 3, 2015 2:04 pm
Cassandra looks at the gnome, and recognition dawns on her face. "No sailor worf er salt is ever wiout a good rope. She unhooks her 50 feet of silk rope from her pack horse, and hands it to the cleric.

Am going to try to continue with the game through my holidays, though the quality of internet connection and doing everything with my phone leaves quite a bit to be desired...
Aug 4, 2015 8:49 am
"Feng here is 50 feet of rope and a hook. Think you'll be able to manage with this?
Aug 4, 2015 10:19 am
"No problem. I also have rope of my own so perhaps I can fix two lines if 50ft is enough."
Stealth roll is in my previous post.
Aug 4, 2015 3:21 pm
Cassandra looks carefully up at the cliff above, and around for any unexpected danger.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+7)

(14) + 7 = 21

Aug 6, 2015 3:30 pm
Kildrak rights himself and haughtily begins to climb again, slower and more cautiously, (I hope) but waits for Feng to provide the rope. He is embarrassed by his bad show of climbing given his past in the mines.

---------------------------------------------------
Edit: The dice on this thread hate me!
Last edited August 6, 2015 3:31 pm

Rolls

Athletics to climb a little - (1d20+3)

(5) + 3 = 8

load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.