The Daimyo's Gambit - Game Thread

load previous
Aug 15, 2015 6:55 pm
Secret Secret

Rolls

Secret Roll

Secret Roll

Aug 16, 2015 1:00 am
"Whether they are here to oppose us or not, one thing is for sure: their coming to us will give our position away to Shimazu!" Fēng says grimly. "If we climb now they will catch us like flies on a wall."

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+7)

(4) + 7 = 11

Aug 16, 2015 3:16 am
Ai Shan, instantly awakened and ready to danger, looks out at the birds he saw in the distance.

"They have dwarves on them? Huh. Maybe they are not friendly to our quarry?" He breathes, pulling out a javelin and twirling it in his fingers. "Either way, we must be prepared."
Last edited August 16, 2015 3:16 am
Aug 17, 2015 5:39 am
Fēng makes to hide, aided by Cassandra's spells. Ai Shan makes ready for battle. The crows continue to fly directly for the landing on which you are positioned.
Aug 17, 2015 6:07 am
Fēng calls out to the barbarian, "Ai Shan, don't be a fool! Prepare for battle but conceal yourself. None of us are afraid of these crow riders. But if we reveal ourselves this Shimazu's forces will come down on top of us like an avalanche!"

The monk hopes quoting his Masters' words will convince Ai Shan.

"Know thyself, know thy enemy. A thousand battles, a thousand victories."

"He who is prudent and lies in wait for the enemy who is not, will be victorious."
Last edited August 17, 2015 6:08 am
Aug 17, 2015 6:18 am
The grizzled savage melts back into the shadows with a snort. He glances at Feng and stops his javelin with a sudden movement.

"Chances are if they're flying this way they know we're here little Birdman, but if not, they won't see what hit'em."

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+5)

(16) + 5 = 21

Aug 17, 2015 8:29 am
"Unlikely as it seems, there is the possibility they are here to aid us. Or on business of their own. If the Council of Magi is sending envoys to Shimazu then it can't be good. We should learn more." Fēng says the last with a bit of pride; he has learned his lessons well. All he knows of world politics is from lessons, not from any real world experience.

The monk turns to the druid, "Cassandra, if we must fight them I want you and I to attempt to gain the loyalty of their crow mounts. I don't know how strong a bond those riders have with them but we must try. It would not only give us the upper hand in a fight against those mages, but would also grant us an advantage in our mission against Shimazu."
Last edited August 17, 2015 5:04 pm
Aug 17, 2015 10:49 am
Urki takes note of his comrades sulking into the shadows and follows suit.

Rolls

Stealth (disadvantage) - (1d20+19, 1d20+19)

1d20+19 : (3) + 19 = 22

1d20+19 : (4) + 19 = 23

Aug 17, 2015 5:59 pm
Cassandra is uneasy about questioning the leadership of Feng, and asks uncertainly, "Ow long till them crow riders get 'ere? Two hours or more, I reckon. You don't think we could be up this 'ere cliff before they get 'ere? Anyway Mother Nature ain't goin' to 'ide us forever"

While she is waiting to see what effect her words have, Cassandra nevertheless obeys by hiding as best she can against the cliff face.

How far away are they?

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+11)

(10) + 11 = 21

Aug 17, 2015 11:14 pm
They don't seem to be in any hurry. They are about thirty miles away.
Aug 20, 2015 1:11 am
The team hides behind rocks and boulders that have found purchase and rest on the landing. The birds fly steady towards the mountain, towards the northeastern face behind Shimazu's mansion, towards the landing on which you hide. An hour passes and they draw closer, not ascending nor descending but heading unwaveringly towards your perch.
Aug 20, 2015 2:29 pm
"These riders's goin' ta blow our cover. We need ta either push on or hope they are frien'ly to our cause. I vote move now. If'n they are looking f'r us, their arrival will be a great distraction. If na' we can still use 'em to our advantage."
Aug 20, 2015 3:04 pm
Cassandra nods eagerly, "Ere, Feng, 'ow about you do that rope trick again and get us up there?"

Casting Pass without Trace again for the next hour.
Aug 20, 2015 9:08 pm
"Good thinking Kildrak, let's get a move on."

Urki looks from Cass to Feng shaking his head yes.
Aug 21, 2015 4:13 am
Fēng begins to doubt the wisdom of his suggestion to lie in wait for the crow riders. The one hour they have tarried might cost them dearly! The young monk is unaccustomed to self-doubt but it assails him now. He nods his assent to his companions' urgings and takes the ropes and the grapples, and pauses just long enough for Cassandra to work her concealing magic before soaring up the cliff face to secure their climbing ropes. Once that is accomplished he takes out the telescope he got from the mangonel captain and sets his gaze on both the incoming fliers and also on any of Shimazu's troops that are about.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20+7)

(8) + 7 = 15

Aug 21, 2015 6:16 am
"Damn!" Ai Shan grumbles, shimmying up the rope to Feng's position, gliding up the rope like a wraith
Last edited August 21, 2015 6:16 am

Rolls

Climbing - (1d20+6)

(15) + 6 = 21

Stealth - (1d20+5)

(16) + 5 = 21

Aug 21, 2015 6:22 am
The climb is a near vertical ascent of over five hundred feet. Fēng, you will have to stagger the rope and grapples and the team will have to decide on a climbing order. You have at least five 50ft ropes so that you could cover 250ft in a single file climb or 100ft in a double file climb. The climb will be considered difficult terrain even with the rope. As Fēng finishes hanging the rope, either single or double (or even triple or quadruple file if he wanted), he looks out to the approaching crows with his spyglass that he took from the slain hobgoblin.

themightykobold sent a note to Jabes.plays.RPG
Aug 21, 2015 9:03 am
"You guys go up first. Worse comes to worse I'm positive Feng could get me up there on his back or arms. I only weigh 39lbs let's get the bigger folk up first."
Aug 23, 2015 4:45 pm
Fēng had just secured two 100ft lines and a shorter, third one anchored only 50ft up from the landing when he turned around to peer through the spyglass at the inbound crow riders. What he sees disturbs him. He makes a snap decision. He quickly stows the spyglass before tucking his wings and going into a headlong dive, streaking down to the landing like a hurled spear. He snaps his wings open just in time to come to a well-practiced hard landing directly in front of Cassandra. "Quickly!" He hisses urgently to his companions, struggling not to yell for fear of their hobgoblin pursuers. "Spirits forgive me, I wasted too much of our time already by hiding in the rocks. Now make haste! One of Grihori's mages, and a knight of the same order. They will be upon us sooner than you think! I will carry Cassandra. The rest of you, CLIMB NOW!" Fēng grabs the druid and tries to hoist her up but makes little headway. He drops his pack to the ground and struggles to catch more air with great sweeps of his wings. "The Four Winds take me, Cassandra, how can such a frail woman as yourself weigh so much?!"
Last edited August 24, 2015 7:06 am

Rolls

CON check (DC 11) - (1d20+2)

(1) + 2 = 3

CON check (DC 12) - (1d20+2)

(2) + 2 = 4

CON check (DC 13) - (1d20+2)

(5) + 2 = 7

CON check (DC 14) - (1d20+2)

(15) + 2 = 17

Aug 24, 2015 5:51 pm
Cassandra prickles at Feng's words, but reacts cooly, "If you ain't tough enough, Mother Nature 'elp you." As she speaks these words, her staff tip glows a muted green.

Casting Enhance Ability (Bull's Strength) on Feng.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.