Chapter 7: To Gravenhollow

load previous
Mar 21, 2018 4:12 pm
OOC:
Mai'ngor and Sarith also took blows.
"I don't know," Hunter says in response. "If the demon lords have broached this plane, I don't see why their lesser minions wouldn't accompany them. Or, perhaps there is an open portal somewhere. Regardless, we can't chase down these ideas when we're so close to our destination, and I think we might find our answers at this library."
Mar 21, 2018 4:50 pm
Sarith materializes from the darkness, "I don't see any more demons out there right now," he reports, some pain evident in his voice, but he doesn't say anything about it. You can see that his sleeve is ripped and there is blood dripping down his arm and onto the floor.
Mar 22, 2018 12:03 am
Melpomene likewise ministers to Mai'ngor and Sarith.

Rolls

Cure wounds level 2 Mai'ngor - (2d8+5)

(62) + 5 = 13

Cure wounds level 2 Sarith - (2d8+5)

(85) + 5 = 18

Mar 22, 2018 3:33 am
"You know, you folks sure like to take a beating. At this rate I'm gonna need to pull out some old gnomish tricks to help keep you alive. We can't keep depending on Mel or she'll end up looking like Elfog after a fight."
Mar 22, 2018 3:42 am
Hunter smiles, and rests a reassuring hand on Elfog's shoulder.
Mar 22, 2018 10:07 am
"You have my thanks." Mai'ngor says, finally with some measure of respect for the horned one.
Mar 22, 2018 12:30 pm
"I've looked worse after having a go." Elfog says, cracking the slightest of smiles. "Bit tired after that one though."
Mar 27, 2018 12:06 pm
"Keep going, then? Or do some of you need to have a moment?"
Mar 27, 2018 12:59 pm
After a couple more minutes of rest, Fisk approaches, bowing low when he gets there. It seems he truly sees your group as the leader of this expedition.

"My men are prepared to leave whenever you are," he says, "Sarith had us put out some scouts so that we don't get caught off guard again."

With that, you set off, scouts trickling in to give reports every 15 minutes or so. After a few hours of traveling, you see a scout rushing back, one of those shadow demons on his heels. Before anyone else can react, Meriele has three arrows into the air, all striking perfectly and bringing the creature down.

The scout moves to report, "There are more out there!" he says frantically, "Those and something... bigger!"
Mar 27, 2018 6:03 pm
"Perhaps it is time to spring our own ambush?" Hunter asks of everyone. "I'd rather the scouts fall back to a defensible position where we can try to trap or outflank those demons.

"Or is this already at our disadvantage? I am concerned about Elfog, in particular."
Mar 28, 2018 4:33 am
"Bigger? Like, bigger than me, or bigger than me as a Giant Scorpion?" I take another look at Elfog, then respond to Hunter skeptically. "I know we want to get this done quickly, but is everyone else up for the task?"
Mar 28, 2018 7:05 pm
"Bigger than both together," he says grimly. A moment later, some of the smaller shadow demons appear at the edge of your vision and begin to get closer. You guards form up ranks and engage the demons' mindless ferocity with discipline. You hear Fisk shouting above the din of suddenly joined battle, "Hold the line! None of them get through!"
Mar 28, 2018 7:14 pm
Hunter hisses, "Too late. Looks like we're in this whether we like it or not!" She sweeps her hand in front of her, and a row of glyphs light into existence as she prepares her arcane power.
Mar 28, 2018 10:35 pm
Not prepared for another battle, but unwilling to sit out on a fight, Elfog unhooks his axe.

"They don't know when to quit!!"
Mar 30, 2018 7:03 pm
As you prepare for combat, you see more of the shadowy demons approaching and then, from the darkness, you see something else.

A large, purple-skinned male humanoid figure is approaching from the darkness. It stands about ten feet tall with smooth and flawless skin, it is supernaturally beautiful. It's glowing eyes seem to lock onto all of yours all at one time, promising a mixture of pleasure and pain beyond imagining. At its side is a massive wavy-bladed sword that drips acid as the creature glides forward. It smiles when it sees you and speaks in a smooth voice, "Standing to face me? Brave, but stupid," it says moving gracefully across the cavern floor.
[ +- ] The Monster
OOC:
Hunter and Melpomene can attempt an Arcana check to identify the being
Mar 30, 2018 8:28 pm
The glyphs in front of Hunter flicker briefly out of focus, before the sorcerer settles her nerves for the task at hand.

Rolls

Arcana, Advantage if demon - (1d20+5, 1d20+5)

1d20+5 : (18) + 5 = 23

1d20+5 : (20) + 5 = 25

Mar 30, 2018 8:33 pm
Hunter recognizes the creature from drawings she's seen. This is Graz'zt, the Dark Prince, one of the Demon Lords of the Abyss.
Mar 30, 2018 8:50 pm
"We... we need to go," stammers Hunter. "We must run! Fisk, get your men out of here!"

To the others, she says, voice rising in panic, "If you remember Sloobludop, flee!"
Mar 30, 2018 9:49 pm
Watching the creature emerging from the darkness, Melpomene wastes no time in following Hunter's advice. She turns and runs as quickly as she can.

Rolls

Aracana - (1d20+6)

(19) + 6 = 25

load next

Thread locked