Chapter 7: To Gravenhollow

Dec 15, 2017 4:18 am
OOC:
Pretty sure you started this chapter as level 8, so feel free to go up to 9!
The next morning, you are re-provisioned and Savy and the other Zhentarim troops who followed you out here bid you farewell. You are left with Xeliss' Shield Guardian, Five Knights, One Scout, Five Guards, and Three Spies (Straight from the NPC section of the monster manual if you want to look up stats).

Melpomene, carrying the magical amulet that will guide you to your destination, points the direction that the magical artifact indicates, leading you through tunnel after tunnel. Not much seems to want to bother you for the first couple of days. On the third day, as you traverse a cavern which is dimly lit by luminous fungi and rubble-covered ground. You see what looks like what was once a stone wall off to the side of the path you travel. This might once have been a small town of some kind long ago.

As you reach the middle of the cavern, you hear a horrible screech from nearby among the rubble. Turning to see what's there, you spot a large monster which resembles a cross between a drow and a huge vulture. It has gigantic wings covered with dark feathers, gigantic claws at the end of its overly long arms, and a horrible beaked face with small black eyes; A vrock, a demon of the lower planes.

The vrocks launch themselves at the concentration of knights in the center of the group, screeching horribly. As they near, you can smell offal terrible enough to make you want to vomit. As they crash into the group of knights, the seasoned warriors are slow to react, some even seem to be frozen in fear. Two of them manage to avoid vicious blows from the demons, but one is impaled by the demons' long clawed hands and tossed aside like refuse.
OOC:
What do you do? Assume they are within walking distance, unless you want to be one of the scouts outside of the normal marching order, then they are three moves away

Remember to move up to level 9 before taking your action!
Dec 15, 2017 6:56 am
Hunter rears her riding lizard back and goads it to the side, moving as far as possible from the demons and the bloodbath. Time to put her research to the test, and she studies the vrocks while positioning herself near some of the rubble.
OOC:
How many vrocks? Would an Arcana check take up her Action?

Rolls

Arcana, Advantage - (1d20+5, 1d20+5)

1d20+5 : (10) + 5 = 15

1d20+5 : (15) + 5 = 20

Dec 15, 2017 12:51 pm
OOC:
Sorry about that, there are three of them and I meant to say it but I was doing cleaning between typing and must have missed it.

Are you just hoping for general info from the check? If you want to dig deep in your mind, then it'll be an action. Just pulling what's at the top if your head won't be
Dec 15, 2017 1:44 pm
OOC:
Meriele will be traveling outside of the marching order, with the scouts. I'll give Hunter's check a moment before reacting.
Dec 15, 2017 3:46 pm
OOC:
I will spend my Action to recall as much as I can from my time in Silverymoon.
Dec 16, 2017 1:32 pm
OOC:
How high is the cavern and how closely are the vrocks grouped?
Dec 16, 2017 8:04 pm
The cavern ceiling is uneven, ranging from 30 feet to 50 feet tall at some points. The vrocks are rather close together at the moment, having met some resistance in the group of knights that has kept them from separating too much.
Dec 16, 2017 8:06 pm
Hunter recalls that vrocks are mid-level demons in terms of power. They are dim-witted and seek only to kill and devour flesh. They are resistant to normal weaponry as well as cold, fire, and lightning magic. They are completely immune to poison and their screech has the ability to stun their prey. They also have the ability to release poisonous spores from their bodies.
Dec 18, 2017 10:36 am
Melpomene weaves a tune and calls up a Magic Circle to surround the creatures. Traceries of blue light writhe and swirl along the ground.

"Fall back!" she orders the knights, hoping that the circle will give them some time to escape to form ranks to better face this threat.
Dec 18, 2017 12:03 pm
Mai'ngor recognizes the vrocks as the same kind of demons the group fought back in Velkynvelve. Sinag's bright blade springs to life in his hands. He prepares to begin his war dance and charge the vrocks so the knights can fall back and form up.
OOC:
That's a bonus action taken to activate Sinag. Holding the rest of my action to ask this question: I take it Melpomene has reversed her Magic Circle to hold the demons in and protect those outside (cool move, btw!). Would it be possible to stand just outside the circle while fighting the demons and benefit from the protection?
Dec 18, 2017 5:10 pm
OOC:
Cast time of Magic Circle is one minute, so it's really not an in-combat spell
Dec 19, 2017 4:53 am
I wave at the largest of the beasts, drawing its attention with a series of clicking sounds and snapping fingers.
[ +- ] Dominate Beast- WIS Saving throw, DC 15
OOC:
JK! Action updated in a post below.
Last edited December 19, 2017 7:31 pm
Dec 19, 2017 10:15 am
Naatkinson says:
OOC:
Cast time of Magic Circle is one minute, so it's really not an in-combat spell
OOC:
oops...missed that. will post something else tonight.
Last edited December 19, 2017 10:15 am
Dec 19, 2017 6:48 pm
Moofsalot says:
I wave at the largest of the beasts, drawing its attention with a series of clicking sounds and snapping fingers.
[ +- ] Dominate Beast- WIS Saving throw, DC 15
OOC:
You would recognize this as a Fiend, not a Beast, so you might want to re-do your action since that spell won't have any effect :)
Dec 19, 2017 6:57 pm
Dark energy washes over the fiend.
[ +- ] Blight- Con Save 15
OOC:
Dammit I thought that might be the case but figured it was worth a shot! ...it counts as a creature tho right? I clearly am unfamiliar with the Monster Manual....

Rolls

Necrotic Damage - (8d8)

(72561863) = 38

Dec 19, 2017 7:27 pm
Moofsalot says:
Dark energy washes over the fiend.
[ +- ] Blight- Con Save 15
OOC:
Dammit I thought that might be the case but figured it was worth a shot! ...it counts as a creature tho right? I clearly am unfamiliar with the Monster Manual....
OOC:
Beast, Fiend, Celestial, Humanoid, etc. all refer to various types of creatures. The term creature refers to basically anything that moves on its own
Dec 20, 2017 1:03 am
Melpomene plays a song familiar to her comrades as she casts a spell on the creatures to make them grow sluggish and slow. Over the tune she chants,
"A proud warrior stands
silent against the dark night
black wings fall quiet"
OOC:
Casting Slow on the creatures, giving Mai'ngor Bardic Inspiration (1d8)
Dec 20, 2017 4:12 am
Spirits of wind, make swift my hooves,
Lords of lightning, make mighty my arm,
Spirits of the great balete tree, make stalwart my heart,
Bathala, Sky-Father, grant me an honorable death.

Mai'ngor charges forward on the impetus of the blessings of his ancestors and Melpomene's stirring words.
[ +- ] Mai'ngor's combat stats
Last edited December 20, 2017 4:15 am

Rolls

Attack#1: Sinag, two-handed - (1d20+10, 1d10+7)

1d20+10 : (20) + 10 = 30

1d10+7 : (9) + 7 = 16

Crit damage - (1d10)

(2) = 2

Attack#2: Sinag, two-handed - (1d20+10, 1d10+7)

1d20+10 : (4) + 10 = 14

1d10+7 : (5) + 7 = 12

Bardic Inspiration (applied to 2nd attack roll) - (1d8)

(1) = 1

Dec 20, 2017 11:42 am
Meriele fires two arrows in quick succession at the Vrock that Mai'ngor has struck. The first fires with a violet trailing light.
OOC:
Not sure if Sinag's light would give disadvantage, or if Natural Explorer would give me advantage in this instance. Rolling 2 dice just in case.

On the first hit, I'd like to use Beguiling Arrow. DC 15 wisdom save, or the Vrock becomes Charmed by Mai'ngor until my next turn, to end early if Mai'ngor hits it before then.

And sorry for the spam of rolls. If I'm not mistaken, Attack #1 is 27 damage if it's not a crit, or 39 damage if it is.
Last edited December 20, 2017 11:53 am

Rolls

Attack #1 vs Vrock - (1d20+11, 1d20+11)

1d20+11 : (20) + 11 = 31

1d20+11 : (10) + 11 = 21

Damage #1 (Extra rolled, if a crit) - (1d8+5, 1d8)

1d8+5 : (5) + 5 = 10

1d8 : (4) = 4

Extra Beguiling Arrow damage (Psychic) - (2d6)

(54) = 9

Beguiling Arrow Crit, if it was a crit - (2d6)

(25) = 7

Attack #2 vs Same Vrock - (1d20+11, 1d20+11)

1d20+11 : (2) + 11 = 13

1d20+11 : (6) + 11 = 17

Damage #2 - (1d8+5)

(8) + 5 = 13

Colossus Slayer - (1d8)

(8) = 8

Colossus Slayer crit damage, if a crit - (1d8)

(1) = 1

Dec 21, 2017 12:02 am
Round One: Players
Xeliss' magic pulls at the life force of V1, but it is able to resist some of her power.

Melpomene's magic washes over the demons, slowing two of the three (V1/V2)

Mai'ngor strikes V2 twice in rapid succession, light-blade shaving the flesh from its body.

Meriele's first arrow strikes V2 with a flash of violet light, causing it to screech in pain. The second arrow strikes as well, but doesn't seem nearly as effective. It doesn't seem that the magic of Meriele's arrow changes its mind about the tikbalang.

The knights, bolstered by the presence of your group, begin to fight back against the demons. They manage to land several hits, but their weapons don't seem overly effective.

The rest of your group seems poised to join in until a group of smaller demons smashes into the flank of your group.

Enemies
Vrock 1: 82/104, AC 15 (Slow - 10 rds)
Vrock 2: 13/104, AC 15 (Slow - 10 rds, Engaged with Mai'ngor)
Vrock 3: 104/104, AC 15

Traveling with party
Shield Guardian
Five Knights (One down)
One Scout
Five Guards
Three Spies
[ +- ] Slow
load next

Thread locked