Chapters 1, 2, and 3

load previous
Dec 1, 2015 6:19 am
"We keep moving. Dawdle, and you'll get left behind. " Mai'ngor is reluctant to face the priestesses. Back home, when he had a home, the babaylan wielded great power and influence. It seems it is the same among the drow, though here the priestesses were also cruel.

"I, for one, agree with Soliin's suggestion that he scout ahead." Mai'ngor has seen the small one move, quick and sharp. His own spearbearer, Brynn, is one of the small folk. He wonders where Brynn might be now.

Mai'ngor whispers to Elfog and Eldeth as they pass, "Beware our drow friend. That one may turn on us at any moment."
Last edited December 1, 2015 6:32 am
Dec 1, 2015 12:23 pm
"So we not only let her live, we don't even try to face her. Fantastic. One of these days I'll kill that bitch. With or without you. And I'll keep all the spoils to myself!" I stop and continue to stare longingly at the tower, trying to tear my gaze away but unable to. Revenge will have to wait. Right now the goal is both to secure freedom and stay alive. That's important, right? Sigh. I force myself to move with the others. This time my eyes are fixated on the ground in front of me. "Fine, let Soliin go scout or whatever."
Dec 1, 2015 1:11 pm
Soliin cracks his shoulders, hunkers down, and sneaks forward, looking for any traps, hidden passages, or groups of enemies.

Rolls

Darkness becomes me (Stealth) - (1d20+7)

(10) + 7 = 17

Lookie, lookie (Perception) - (1d20+4)

(18) + 4 = 22

Dec 1, 2015 3:34 pm
Hunter speaks without looking, addressing Xeliss but also herself, "Believe me, you'd have to wait in line for a chance at that drow. But we're at a disadvantage and already spent from the battle."
Dec 1, 2015 4:48 pm
Soliin sneaks forward, looking for anything unusual to report back to his companions. He looks into the chapel first.

[Note to Keleth]

Naatkinson sent a note to Keleth

Rolls

Secret Roll

Stealth - (1d20+7)

(5) + 7 = 12

Dec 2, 2015 1:46 am
"I'm not letting that drow out of me sight!" Elfog whispers back to Mai'ngor.
Dec 2, 2015 2:46 am
Soliin sneaks back to the party. "There are a few items of value in there, but stuff that'd be hard to carry or take time to get out. It's all being guarded by a spider." He quickly sneaks off towards the tower, scouting again.

Rolls

I am the night! (Stealth) - (1d20+7)

(7) + 7 = 14

Dec 2, 2015 2:27 pm
As Soliin sneaks off toward the lift you see that the drow fighting the Chasme are down. They turn to look at you when the Vrock, a large feathered bird-like demon, swoops in and begins tearing them apart with its huge beak and talons. It is quite terrifying to watch, but the thrashing and ripping doesn't leave much room to squeeze past to get to the lift. It looks like the battle is quickly swinging in the favor of the Vrock, with only one Chasme left alive. As the Vrock engages, Soliin is forced back toward the party or else be drawn into the battle.
Dec 2, 2015 4:08 pm
Hunter grimaces as the way to the lift is blocked by the fighting demons. She really REALLY does not want to draw the fiends' attentions. "Er, maybe I'd rather face Ilvara," she says plaintively. Hunter turns to Soliin, and asks, "Just one spider? Giant?" She is obviously thinking of returning to the priestess's tower.
Dec 2, 2015 5:09 pm
I just throw my hands outwards before covering my face in frustration.
Dec 2, 2015 6:31 pm
"We can't get out through the tower either way, the lift is our only chance," Sarith reminds you, "and if my people capture us again life will be far less pleasant than last time."

A few moments later the Vrock lifts the last Chasme and throws it off the ledge. It turns to look at you and screeches terribly. Topsy falls to her knees, with Turvy following moments after, screaming in pain. Everyone besides Xeliss, who is too intent on the demonic fight to look away, sees that Topsy and Turvy's facial features are being elongated and their bones pop as they shift. Hunter and Elfog have heard horror stories of creatures that change with the phases of the moon, called Lycanthropes, and you believe that may be what you're witnessing.

"We'd best get out of here soon," Shuushar says from behind, "Sad as it is, once they've changed we'll have no chance to escape here without killing them."

Stool presses himself closer to Hunter, shaking in fear.
Naatkinson sent a note to CancerMan

Rolls

Party Perceptions - (1d20+3, 1d20+3, 1d20+4, 1d20+2, 1d20+4)

1d20+3 : (15) + 3 = 18

1d20+3 : (14) + 3 = 17

1d20+4 : (15) + 4 = 19

1d20+2 : (6) + 2 = 8

1d20+4 : (17) + 4 = 21

Dec 2, 2015 10:32 pm
Mai'ngor begins backing away from the demon bird...he has never faced such a creature before. They say the tikbalang pintado are fearless in battle. Fearless but not stupid, he muses. But the alternative, a lifetime of servitude to the accursed drow, or an ignoble end as spider food, seems far more terrible than dying in battle against a worthy foe such as this demon before him. He charges.

Vrock must make a DC 11 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone. If he's knocked prone, Mai'ngor can take a bonus action to make another attack with his hooves.

Rolls

Hooves - (1d20+1)

(19) + 1 = 20

potential damage - (2d6+1)

(36) + 1 = 10

Possible bonus attack on prone target (advantage) - (1d20+1, 1d20+1)

1d20+1 : (14) + 1 = 15

1d20+1 : (1) + 1 = 2

potential damage from bonus attack - (2d6+1)

(22) + 1 = 5

Dec 2, 2015 11:14 pm
Mai'ngor rushes forward and slams the Vrock with his hooves. In its battle weary state Mai'ngor finds it a simple task to knock it down where he stomps on it again.

It is shocked by the sudden attack and you get the drop on it!
Player Turn!

Rolls

Vrock strength save - (1d20+3)

(1) + 3 = 4

Player Initiative - (1d20+2)

(13) + 2 = 15

Enemy Initiative - (1d20)

(3) = 3

Dec 2, 2015 11:51 pm
Not allowing the downed demon a respite, Mai'ngor strikes quickly with Shoor's swords.

Rolls

Shortsword 1 attack (advantage), damage - (1d20+5, 1d20+5, 1d6+3)

1d20+5 : (4) + 5 = 9

1d20+5 : (15) + 5 = 20

1d6+3 : (4) + 3 = 7

Shortsword 2 attack (advantage), damage - (1d20+5, 1d20+5, 1d6+3)

1d20+5 : (5) + 5 = 10

1d20+5 : (18) + 5 = 23

1d6+3 : (3) + 3 = 6

Shortsword 1 crit damage - (1d6)

(6) = 6

Dec 3, 2015 12:01 am
I shake my head at Mai'ngor's audacity. At minimum, he may just keep that demon busy enough for some of us to make our escape. It's worth a shot. And if he dies... we can always say a prayer for him or something. Sure.

I follow and unleash a poisonous gas in the direction of the demon, while at the same time trying to keep most of me behind the much larger tikbakang. I especially do not want to get kicked in the face or stomped on by him. He seems to be very good at that.

Casting Poison Spray: The creature must succeed on a Constitution saving throw (12)or take 1d12 poison damage.

Rolls

Damage? - (1d12)

(10) = 10

Dec 3, 2015 12:48 am
Again, not positive when I can sneak attack... if I attack via dagger, is it a SA? Are there penalties for attacking ranged into melee?
Dec 3, 2015 1:15 am
Mai'ngor crushes the Vrock beneath his hooves. In its weakened state it is no match for the savage attacks. The way to the lift is clear!

Vrock is dead, you all gain 115 xp
You can sneak attack when there is an ally within 5 feet of your target or when you attack with advantage. I recommend always rolling the damage and I'll take it into account if necessary. There may be a penalty for attacking when the opponent has an ally in front of him, but I'll take that into account on my end as well.
Dec 3, 2015 2:50 am
Hunter wastes no time. She picks up Stool and carries him like a toddler towards the lift, haste in her steps. "You have my thanks, fey," she says to Mai'ngor in passing. "Such fiends tear lesser mortals apart without so much as a glance."
Dec 3, 2015 8:54 am
"I merely protect those weaker than I," replies the tikbalang, then adds, gesturing at the sprout in Hunter's arms, "As do you." Mai'ngor's voice drops to a whisper, "Speaking of which, wasn't Stool Sarith's captive before he himsef was thrown in with us? Does he intend to lay claim on the little one still?"

As the group moves towards the lift Mai'ngor spares a backwards glance at Topsy and Turvy, making sure they are not in pursuit. Ten of us, and that lift only large enough for four at best... Mai'ngor tries to puzzle out how best to split the group.
Last edited December 3, 2015 9:03 am
Dec 3, 2015 8:07 pm
You reach the lift without further incident, but it seems that Topsy and Turvy don't have much time left in their transformations.
load next

Thread locked