Chapter 7: To Gravenhollow

load previous
May 14, 2018 7:02 pm
The giant listens intently to Hunter's words and pauses for a moment before nodding and answering in a deep, resonant voice, "I am," he says slowly, "And I am aware of how big this problem could become if it is not taken care of as soon as possible. Tell me, child... if you weren't to receive any guidance from my kin or I, what would you do and how would you seek out the source of these troubles in order to solve the problem at hand?"
May 14, 2018 8:18 pm
Whether awed by the presence of the library's caretaker, the significant size difference between herself and the giant, or reverted back to her apprenticeship to knowledge, Hunter seems to not notice the child title. "Truthfully, it feels as though this is our only hope," she says. "Perhaps there are resources available on the surface that might match a fraction of what you offer, but the Abyss is far too strange and alien for lesser creatures to fully comprehend.

"If we find no assistance here, I can only think to return to the cities of Gauntlgrym and Silverymoon. Or, if we become pressed for time due to the tromp of more than one demon prince, stand fast in an attempt to try and banish them back to their planes."
May 17, 2018 2:22 am
The giant nods, "A fair enough plan, I think. Fortunately for you, we will be happy to assist you. We cannot affect events outside of Gravenhollow, but we can give you knowledge to aid in your fight," he says and then reaches behind him to a shelf, plucking a small pouch off of it and handing it over to Hunter, "In here is a Stonespeaker Crystal. Take this into the library and attune yourself to it. It will grant you visions of the past, present, and future that may aid in your battle."
May 17, 2018 7:23 am
Hunter accepts the pouch with two hands, bowing her head in respectful acknowledgement. "May this be used by my friends as well? The more eyes in research, the quicker we might unmask the veil."
May 17, 2018 8:12 pm
"Of course," he replies, "All of the resources of the library are open to you and your companions. We recognize the grave threat that you face and will do all that we can to help you."
May 17, 2018 8:13 pm
OOC:
Meta-question, I noticed you mentioned attunement. If that's the same as magic item attunement, can a single crystal be attuned by more than one person?
May 17, 2018 8:18 pm
OOC:
Excellent question! This is not the same as magical item attunement (or at least I'm not running it as such). You just have to spend some time focusing on it and falling into its magic :)
May 17, 2018 10:27 pm
"Thank you, Keeper Ulthar," says Hunter. She looks to Melpomene and begins to seek out a section of the library to conduct her research. "Could you help me with this? Your knowledge of lore may benefit from this crystal's insight."
May 18, 2018 9:58 am
Melpomene beams as she replies, "Of course, I would be delighted."

I have always dreamed of visiting this place...how amazing that I am actually here.
May 22, 2018 2:10 am
As you think about finding a place to do your research, you come to a large stone archway with an inscription on it: "The past is a crystal, for it can be seen from many facets yet it always remains the same."

The room is large and filled with thousands of books as well as a number of different colored crystals which float at different locations throughout the room. As Hunter enters with the stone, the crystals seem to glow brighter and she can feel her stone pulsing with energy.

Naatkinson sent a note to CancerMan
May 22, 2018 6:51 am
Curious, Mai'ngor tries to get a closer look at one of the crystals.
OOC:
Are they floating close enough to touch?
May 22, 2018 4:23 pm
Hunter concentrates on the crystal, sensing the energy that pulsates within and trying to align her own innate arcane ability with it. She frowns and her brow pinches together as though distracted and fighting through.
CancerMan sent a note to Naatkinson
May 22, 2018 8:14 pm
Hunter struggles to get her mind in the right place to attune herself to the gem.

Naatkinson sent a note to CancerMan
Mai'ngor looks closely at the gems and it appears that there's something deeper within the light that moves, though he can't see much. As he looks in, he almost thinks he sees a humanoid form within one, but then the feeling passes.
May 22, 2018 10:26 pm
"Here," Hunter says, holding the crystal out to Melpomene. "I think I might be tired; can't focus on it just yet." Her voice carries a bit of an edge.
May 22, 2018 11:24 pm
Melpomene accepts it with an understanding smile and sings some soft notes, trying to find the tone of the crystal.
May 24, 2018 1:19 am
As Melpomene attunes herself to the crystal, she is plunged into darkness. When she emerges, the world is hazy and tinted gray. She feels as though she is looking to the past and she watches the events unfold before her.

An imperious drow archwizard in spider-silk robes casts a mighty conjuration spell. As the ritual draws toward its conclusion, a web of Faerzress energy expands outward. The wizard seems alarmed by this, his efforts to complete the spell growing more crazed as he realizes he's lost control.

And then, madness! Rifts open in the web of energy around him. These cracks stretch and widen, and through them come horrific fiends that scream, shriek, and howl as they are wrenched from the Abyss and cast into the Underdark. A woman's deep. dark laugh echoes in your mind as the drow wizard shrinks away from the demonic hordes he has unwittingly unleashed.
May 24, 2018 9:14 am
Melpomene struggles to widen the vision, looking around in the grey to find clues to the question: Where?
May 24, 2018 3:55 pm
Hunter rubs her temples and wonders how one can find some calming herbal tea... or something stronger.
May 25, 2018 1:57 am
As Melpomene looks around, she can see the inside of what appears to be a study. Books line the walls in neat shelves, strange liquids bubble and steam inside of a number of glass vials on a nearby table, papers, quills, and books are stacked atop the desk nearby.

Before Melpomene can do anything about the vision, she is catapulted out of it and back into her own senses in the library of Gravenhollow, feeling drained and weak after her experience.
May 25, 2018 9:21 am
Shakily, she reaches out to Hunter's arm to stabilize herself. She relates her vision with as much detail as she can while she regains her composure.
load next

Thread locked