Chapter 7: To Gravenhollow

load previous
Jun 19, 2018 10:26 pm
Xeliss pockets The now "empty" crystal.
Jun 20, 2018 3:34 pm
OOC:
To clarify, Hunter is handing over the crystal from the librarian, on the chance that someone else would like to attune to and use it.
Jun 22, 2018 1:03 am
The stone creature nods, "That will be acceptable," it says, turning and leading you toward the Keepers' library. When you enter, you see Ulthar in the same place as before, in addition to another giant. They appear to be deep in discussion when you enter, but stop speaking when they see you.

Ulthar cocks his head to the side as he looks Elayna over, then turns to Hunter, "I'm surprised to see you again so soon, little one. This is Urmas, Keeper of the Present," he says as way of introduction.

Urmas looks Hunter and Elayna over, "It is good to meet you," he says, looking at Hunter, then turns to Elayna, "I believe this one is new?"
Jun 22, 2018 1:03 am
Elayna looks overwhelmed by the massive creatures, but stands strong by Hunter's side, though she doesn't say anything.
Jun 26, 2018 3:43 am
While everyone is distracted, Xeliss takes out the crystal again and stares into it, curious about how it works.
Jun 26, 2018 3:50 pm
Hunter curtsies. "This is Elayna. She accompanied me inside an amulet I wear, though neither of us knew she could be released. We were using the Stonespeaker Crystal when Elayna suddenly appeared."
Jun 26, 2018 5:26 pm
In the Keepers' Library
Ulthar looks intrigued, "I see. And why was she inside the amulet in the first place?" he asks, curiosity clear in his deep voice.

In the Archives of the Past
As Xeliss focuses her mind on the gem, she suddenly feels as if she's falling through blackness. When the feeling passes, she is in a nearly-colorless passage. As she looks around, she sees something:

A deep gnome spurned by others of his kind weeps as he wanders the dark tunnels, talking to the things that crawl and seep from the walls. You see him adopt two slick patches of ooze, sensing his innate power over them. He plays with them as if they were children, chasing them through the gloomy depths.

Something changes, and the oozes flow away. The deep gnome runs after them, fearful of being alone once again. You feel a great hunger seize him. He experiences visions that pass into your vision, showing what appears as a paradise to him but an oozing nightmare for all others. The great hunger speaks to him, his already broken mind a shield against the hunger's shattering power.

That power seems to recognize and acknowledge something in the gnome that will serve it well. The great hunger has a name - Juiblex. And its power . . . oh, such great and terrible power! It grants the gnome the ability to command the little hungers - his
children - so that they can return to the place that cast them out and devour it all!

Just before being ripped from the vision, Xeliss finally recognizes the deep gnome as the Pudding King - The deep gnome that commanded the oozes of Blingdenstone and tried to destroy it.
Jun 26, 2018 5:53 pm
"I do not know the truth behind her... imprisonment, if that is what it was," says Hunter. "I only know the story related to me when I came across the amulet." She attempts to remove the necklace, or at the very least reveal the diamond-ringed opal. With an apologetic look to Elayna, Hunter describes the tale of the young farm girl cast aside by her noble lover, who destroyed herself while wearing the necklace.

Hunter continues, "After coming into possession of the necklace, Elayna and I began to communicate in thoughts. It was... awkward at first, but over time we both managed to co-exist. And now she stands here as flesh, and we are no longer linked in mind."
Jun 28, 2018 8:46 pm
In the Keepers' Library
Hunter has no issues removing the beautiful necklace from her person. As the tale is recounted, Elayna's eyes grow misty and a couple of tears run down her cheeks, but she stands her ground and doesn't turn into a sobbing mess. It seems that her time sharing a mind with Hunter has toughened her emotionally.

Ulthar nods, "Ah, I see," he says as if this makes perfect sense, "And you attempted to use the crystal in the Archives of the Past?" he asks. When he receives confirmation, he smiles, "Fascinating. The Archives and the crystals work together to bring the past and present together, which is what allows you to enter the visions and see them in the flesh. When you attempted to attune to the crystal in there, it brought the past," he explains, motioning to Elayna, then motions to Hunter as he finishes, "Into the present."
Jun 28, 2018 10:40 pm
Hunter considers the explanation. "If we leave the library, will she be forced to return to the amulet?"
Jul 3, 2018 12:13 am
"That, I cannot say," the giant replies, "This is quite an odd occurrence, I must say. I doubt that she would be forced back within it, but I cannot make any guarantees."
Jul 3, 2018 12:26 pm
"I don’t like this... vision magic. It’s unnatural." Xeliss holds the crystal in front of her and examines it suspiciously.
Jul 3, 2018 4:00 pm
Hunter looks to Elayna. "I suppose we'll have to take our chances," she says, then smiles. She looks up at the librarians. "Is there a wardrobe? For her size?"
Jul 4, 2018 9:21 am
Melpomene smiles gently at Xeliss and replies, "Most magic is."
Jul 4, 2018 1:17 pm
So lost is he in his own thoughts, Mai'ngor hardly registers what is going on with Xeliss. Of late he has been succumbing to despair for being the last of his kind. Here, deep in the bowels of the earth he may as well be dead to the surface. Who then will remember the tribe, it's songs and its deeds? The tikbalang will leave no legacy. But here now is a place that holds a memory of all things! This place will remember.
Jul 5, 2018 4:34 am
"Not my magic. I feel its energy flow through the earth like so many roots. It's comforting in a way that this gem isn't. This... this gem showed me the Pudding King. He was a deep gnome, like me. But transformed by some even darker magic. It gave him power."
Jul 6, 2018 9:24 am
Melpomene nods, "Ah, yes. I remember reading about him. He nearly destroyed Blingdenstone before your people stopped him."
Jul 6, 2018 7:28 pm
The giants look surprised by Hunter's request for a wardrobe, turning to look at one another. After a brief moment of silent communication, Urmas nods, "I think we can find something. If you could follow Hourm?"

Turning around, you see that Hourm has appeared and is waiting patiently for you to follow him.
Jul 6, 2018 9:56 pm
Hunter curtsies her thanks, then takes Elayna's hand. "Let's find you something nice," she says, leading the way to Hourm.
Jul 10, 2018 12:55 am
Hourm leads the girls through a number of passages and ends up in a room full of assorted objects. Fine clothing, random weapons and armor, random books and scrolls... everything seems to be in here. "This is sort of a... lost items room," he explains as he begins looking through it. Eventually, he stops and pulls out a trunk and hands it to Hunter. Inside is an assortment of fine silk clothing, carefully folded to minimize creasing.

Elayna's eyes go wide, "They're beautiful," she whispers, dropping the cloak she's been wearing and immediately beginning to get dressed.
load next

Thread locked