Chapter 7: To Gravenhollow

load previous
Jul 10, 2018 12:55 am
OOC:
Does anyone else want to try the crystal in the archives of the past?
Jul 10, 2018 1:45 am
Xeliss wordless hands the gem to Mai'ngor.
Jul 10, 2018 9:42 am
After some hesitation, Mai'ngor takes it.
Jul 10, 2018 2:10 pm
OOC:
Does Mai'ngor have anything specific on his mind as he grabs the crystal?
Jul 10, 2018 3:06 pm
Mai'ngor was thinking of home when Xeliss offered him the crystal. He hesitated, fearing that visions of its destruction - or perhaps worse, its former idyll - might unhinge him. He decided to take a chance. But as he reached for the crystal, a new thought occured to him out of nowhere: Sinag and her origins.
Last edited July 14, 2018 6:51 am
Jul 10, 2018 5:07 pm
"Yes," says Hunter, though her eyes are distracted by her own inspection of clothes, books, and scrolls. Consarn it, I was eyeing those gloves, she thinks as Elayna snatches up a pair.
OOC:
Going to sift through everything to look for more traveling clothes of finer quality, curious books and scrolls of arcane nature, and what sort of weapons there are.

Rolls

Investigation - (1d20+1)

(15) + 1 = 16

Jul 13, 2018 9:05 pm
Mai'ngor feels himself falling away into darkness. The fall is very peaceful and seems to last a long time before he suddenly begins to slow. When he finally gets his bearings, he seems to be in complete darkness, until his eyes adjust and he finds himself floating among the heavens, surrounded by stars and planets as they spin lazily through their cosmic home.

Turning around by force of will, he finds that he is very close to a bright orange ball of flame that takes up his whole field of vision, though he feels no heat from it. He feels, behind him, a beautiful song, though he doesn't understand the words, almost as if the cosmos itself is singing to him. As he relaxes in the strange place, he realizes that the music is growing louder, and it seems to be approaching from behind.

Looking back, he sees a tremendous male figure approaching the star, clad in pure white and gold cloth of the finest make. The figure dwarfs Mai'ngor, though it is still much smaller than the star itself. It studies the massive cosmic body before smiling and nodding, "Thank you," he says and then suddenly reaches into the flames. After some time, the figure withdraws his hand and holds a very familiar hilt in his hand - Sinag!

He inspects the hilt for some time before placing it against the 'surface' of the star. If possible, the glow becomes even brighter as the hilt simultaneously takes light from the star while somehow brightening it. As he pulls the hilt away, there is a blade made of pure light coming forth from it. After one final inspection, he smiles even wider and nods to it, holding it in front of his face, "Yes, you will do nicely," he says to it affectionately, "You can help the mortals drive away the darkness from their world in a way that no one else can."

Suddenly, he bursts into motion, spinning around and heaving the blade away from him, where it disappears in the distance, presumably to land on the surface of Toril, where Mai'ngor becomes one of its wielders in the fight against the dark.

The image fades away, plunging Mai'ngor into total darkness. Eventually the darkness passes and Mai'ngor finds himself in a small room with a table and two chairs in the center, walls lined with large windows to let in all the natural light one could ever desire.

A door that Mai'ngor had not seen before opens on the far wall and the same white-and-gold-clad figure enter the room and smiles, "Please, take a seat," he says motioning to the table, "We have something of import to discuss."
Jul 13, 2018 9:06 pm
Those of you in the Archives of the Past watch as Mai'ngor experiences a vision as you've seen a few times before. it doesn't end as the others have, though, with a sigh of relief, but with a soft pop as Mai'ngor disappears completely from the room. There is a soft clink as the crystal falls to the stone floor.
Jul 13, 2018 9:09 pm
As Hunter moves toward the books and scrolls, Hourm places a gentle hand up, "I'm sorry, but I cannot allow you to look at those. As you must now be aware, this place is somewhat removed from time itself," he says gently, "These books and scrolls may have secrets of the past or future that should not be known to mortals. They were left by past and future visitors and we cannot let them enter the hands of those who should not have them. Clothing will do little harm, but knowledge, I'm afraid, is quite a different matter."
Jul 14, 2018 4:50 pm
Hunter's lip quivers, and her eyes take on a pleading look for only a brief second before she remembers where she is. As though shaking away a memory, she straightens and collects herself. "I understand," she says.

She looks over to the weapons and armor, and says while pointing, "What about those? I would like Elayna to have something to defend herself, should the need arise."
Jul 15, 2018 11:26 am
Mai'ngor finds himself obeying the resplendent being and taking a seat, curious what such an entity would have to discuss with him.
Jul 16, 2018 8:48 pm
Hourm nods, "That would be fine," he says.

Elayna searches through the weapons and armor and, with some help from Hunter, manages to find a suit of leather armor, a shortbow, and a shortsword. She looks thoroughly out of place with the equipment, but it does seem to calm her down a bit.
Jul 16, 2018 8:52 pm
The figure sits in the seat opposite of Mai'ngor and looks him over, "I suppose I should introduce myself, shouldn't I?" he says with a calming smile, "I am best known as Lathander by mortals, so I think that is what you should call me. I see that you have come by one of my creations," he says, obviously referring to Sinag, "I would like to know how you came to find her and what your thoughts of her are."
Jul 16, 2018 10:49 pm
Hunter tries to surreptitiously run her finger along the spine of a nearby book while Elayna and Hourm are supposedly distracted... but remembering how the library seemingly knows about and warps itself to fit the whim of its keepers, thinks better about absconding with the lost tome and busies her attention with the weapons and armor.

When Elayna has laid claim to the equipment, Hunter says, "Perfect. Let's return to the others and see what they've discovered."

Rolls

Sleight of Hand - (1d20)

(12) = 12

Jul 17, 2018 2:16 am
"I rememember it like it was yesterday, Great One. She called out in the dark, and I answered. And countless times since then she has been a light in the darkest of hours."

A pause, then Mai'ngor's expression changes. His tone remains respectful but his eyes smolder. "Do you know of Bathala, Anitun-Tabu, Dumakulem, and the other sky-gods of my people? Or are you one of them in different guise? Do you know why my home was destroyed and my people slain?"
Jul 17, 2018 4:37 am
"Did... did Mai'ngor go into a crystal?"
Jul 17, 2018 11:29 pm
Melpomene seems quite perplexed. "I...I don't know," she replies hesitantly. "I don't THINK so, but this is a very strange place."
Jul 19, 2018 9:38 pm
Mai'ngor
Lathander smiles at Mai'ngor, "That's good," he says happily, "It's good that she's fulfilling her ultimate purpose."

When Mai'ngor asks about the sky gods, Lathander's expression dims a little, "Yes, you could say that I am associated with them, though only loosely," he says, "I can't tell you the why of your peoples' destruction, as that information is not mine to provide."

"I can see that you are a warrior of no small heart. You fight with passion, for the good of others," he says, paying the tikbalang a great compliment, "You use Sinag to banish the darkness from the world, but I can see that a heavy darkness still lies upon your heart. Perhaps I can help dispel that darkness, just as you have for so many others."

Hunter
Hourm either doesn't notice or just ignores Hunter's desire to take the forbidden knowledge from this place and leads her and Elayna out once they are ready to rejoin their companions.

Hunter arrives back at the Archives of the Past just in time to see that Mai'ngor is gone and hear the others talking about his disappearance.
Jul 19, 2018 10:13 pm
OOC:
Is the crystal still in the room?
Jul 19, 2018 10:41 pm
OOC:
Yep, on the floor
load next

Thread locked