Chapter 7: To Gravenhollow

load previous
Jul 20, 2018 5:51 am
Hunter looks at everyone, then at the crystal. She walks over and picks it up, and sighs. "Great. We get one friend out of an object, only to lose another. Well, I'm not going to wear this and have him in my head this time."
Jul 24, 2018 3:31 pm
Mai'ngor isn't sure what Lathander expects of him. The tikbalang nods his assent to whatever it is the god wishes to do.
Jul 24, 2018 4:07 pm
Lathander smiles brightly and claps the tikbalang on the shoulder, "Very good," he says, "What I ask of you won't be easy, but I think it is probably what you had planned to do anyway. I request that you take Sinag and do whatever you can to banish the demon lords from the world before they gain their full strength and wreak untold havoc on the world. I would do so myself, but the laws of the universe prevent the gods from walking among the living too frequently, lest we damage the fabric of reality itself. In exchange for your service to the good of the world, I will do whatever is within my power to heal the despair in your heart."

With the god's request and vague promise heard, Mai'ngor feels himself falling once again as the room fades away. When the feeling ends, he finds himself once more among his companions.
Jul 24, 2018 4:54 pm
Hunter blinks at Mai'ngor's appearance, then looks at Elayna with an arched eyebrow. She taps the copper wire wrapped around her ear, with a quizzical quirk at the corner of her lips.

She then asks the room in general, "What have we learned?"
CancerMan sent a note to Naatkinson
Jul 24, 2018 5:55 pm
"I have learned for certain that the gods are not permitted to intervene directly and banish these demon lords from the world." Mai'ngor says, but doesn't elaborate.
Last edited July 24, 2018 5:55 pm
Jul 24, 2018 6:09 pm
Sarith raises an eyebrow at the sudden statement from the tikbalang, "What did you see?" he asks, "Anything that will help?"
Jul 24, 2018 6:26 pm
"That much can already be inferred, as we're the ones running around trying to figure this all out," Hunter says, a bit of venom in her words. She stops herself and holds a hand up. "I'm sorry. I am glad you've discovered that as a certainty, believe me.

"So we know a drow wizard unleashed this maddening horde,"
continues Hunter, looking down at the crystal. "And we know that a number of demon lords now walk this plane. The question becomes, why?"

She paces, absently touching the crystal to her forehead in thought. "Drow do not worship the demon lords, save for the Spider Queen. Why bring the Faceless Lord, the Dark Prince, or the Master of the Spiraling Depths into his chamber? A spell of that power, to rend the gate big enough for such beings to enter our realm, at the same time?"

As though struck by inspiration, Hunter stares at the crystal once more. She focuses her attention upon it, attuning herself to the crystal's energy.
CancerMan sent a note to Naatkinson
Last edited July 24, 2018 7:01 pm
Jul 24, 2018 6:47 pm
Hunter falls away into the throes of a vision...

You behold the true form of the Demon Queen of Spiders - that of a black. bloated arachnid with the head of a female drow. Nestled in the webs all around her are thousands upon thousands of gray eggs. Lolth knows s he is being scried, her fury tangible as her mind reaches out to find you. Her shriek of rage as she's shut out by the powerful wards of Gravenhollow echoes in your mind as the vision is suddenly torn away to darkness.

The rest of you see Hunter fall to the floor unconscious. After several minutes, she wakes up, head throbbing like nothing she's ever experienced before and with the feeling that she narrowly escaped having her soul devoured.

Naatkinson sent a note to CancerMan
OOC:
Hunter, make me a Wisdom save!
Jul 24, 2018 7:02 pm
Hunter mumbles incoherently as she slowly opens her eyes.

Rolls

Wisdom Save - (1d20+1)

(3) + 1 = 4

Jul 24, 2018 7:46 pm
As she opens her eyes, Hunter suddenly bursts into hysterical laughter, unable to stop herself. Her fit of hysterics lasts about 10 minutes before she finally manages to calm herself down.
OOC:
Madness Level for Hunter = 1
Jul 24, 2018 8:03 pm
"I saw her," giggles Hunter, cross-legged on the floor. She clutches at her face, as if to remove her eyes. "In her webs, her children. Thousands! Millions! Every single eye upon eye unblinking, waiting! Writhing in their little sacs, ready to vomit forth, like tiny squeaking mites of chaos and hate!"

In a fit of desperation, Hunter throws the crystal as far from herself as possible.
Jul 25, 2018 3:07 am
As the crystal sails across the room Mai'ngor blinks from view once again, only to reappear in the perfect spot to catch it. The tikbalang stands there, clutching the crystal, eyes narrowed at Hunter.
OOC:
Misty Step.
Last edited July 25, 2018 3:09 am

Rolls

Acrobatics for the catch? - (1d20+9)

(8) + 9 = 17

Jul 25, 2018 8:30 pm
Mai'ngor bursts into motion the moment Hunter prepares to throw the crystal, calling upon his innate magic to reappear in its path and snatch it out of the air.

Sarith looks like he's going to be ill, "You saw... her?" he asks tremulously, his eyes wide as his head swivels from side to side, looking for danger.
Jul 25, 2018 10:48 pm
"Wherever she is, she has made herself at home," Hunter says, voice tight. Her eyes squint as if she can shut out the memory. "Fat and bloated in all her horrible beauty, surrounded by her spawn." Forcing herself to relive the vision, Hunter considers the possible meaning.

Rolls

Arcana - (1d20+5)

(2) + 5 = 7

Jul 26, 2018 4:08 am
Xeliss watches Hunter closely, concerned that whatever madness from the crystal has already gotten hold of her and is starting to spread, despite the freed prisoner.
Last edited July 26, 2018 4:11 am

Rolls

Arcana check? - (1d20+2)

(8) + 2 = 10

Nature check? - (1d20)

(19) = 19

Jul 27, 2018 5:00 pm
It's clear to Hunter that she saw the Queen of Spiders as she is at this very moment. What that could possibly mean isn't clear, though.

Once Hunter has calmed down, it seems to Xeliss that the sorceress is back to herself once more.
Jul 27, 2018 7:56 pm
Hunter sighs, rubbing her eyes. "We know the drow released the demon lords. If they could not control the gate to the Abyss, is it reasonable to assume this gate remains open? We would need to figure out a way to close it, and to banish the demon lords back to their hellish plane."

She pushes herself off the ground, setting her legs under her before standing. "Perhaps we need to leave these archives of the past and visit present events. Some research there might offer insight as to how we combat the threat."
Jul 28, 2018 11:12 am
"Agreed. I find it curious that you were given a glimpse of Lolth's present. My own vision was of Lathander creating Sinag, presumably deep in the past. But then he spoke to me of the world's present troubles. Perhaps the boundaries between past and present and even future are blurred here."
Jul 31, 2018 2:33 pm
OOC:
Is that the plan then, to visit the Present?
load next

Thread locked