Chapter 7: To Gravenhollow

load previous
Aug 21, 2018 3:59 pm
Hunter says in response to Xeliss, "Probably. I should like to at least see that their solution works, so that when we return to the surface we can answer King Battlehammer assertively that the task is done." She continues tapping at the stone, occasionally sending a loud ring throughout the room before resuming a light inspection with her hammer.
Aug 22, 2018 10:51 pm
Melpomene takes the stone and focuses on it.
Aug 23, 2018 8:03 pm
As Melpomene takes the gem and focuses it, her vision fades away...

You see a kuo-toa swimming in the gloomy depths of a dark, subterranean lake, uncertain. It turns left and right, trying to find something, even as it's surrounded by a fanged creatures resembling manta rays. The kuo-toa smiles, its needle teeth gleaming even in the darkness. It has seen something. It understands a new secret, and its already unhinged mind plunges further into madness.

The kuo-toa curls in on itself, arms extended in worship. Then from the circle of rays, two tentacles emerge- followed by two howling baboon heads.

Upon describing this scene to the others, they will recognize the baboon-headed creature as Demogorgon.
Aug 25, 2018 11:31 pm
Hunter pauses her tap-tap of the stone as the story of the kuo-toa is told, silently willing the images from her head with a shudder.
Aug 26, 2018 4:33 pm
Mai'ngor shifts uneasily as the memory of groveling and eating dirt is refreshed in his mind.
Aug 30, 2018 8:44 pm
After another two days of research, you discover little more than you already knew. As you sit around and try to determine where else you can look, you hear footsteps down the hall just moments before Vizeran and his bodyguard enter the room. He appears to be quite irritated and begins speaking immediately.

"That fool Gromph brought the demon lords down upon us, with his demon queen pulling his strings all the while. He has given Lolth free reign in the Abyss. My own research leads me to believe Gromph used faerzress to achieve such a summoning, though I am sure he didn't intend this result. Imbecile!"

"I can save you months of research-time we clearly don't have. The information I found here has confirmed my theories, and I know how to banish the demon lords back to the Abyss. We can do this only if we work together, if you are willing and daring enough to directly challenge the demon lords... Or perhaps foolhardy is the better word."
Aug 31, 2018 1:33 am
"Oh, now he wants help," Hunter says quietly to herself. She rises from her seat and says, "Well, not like I had better plans. What is it?"
Aug 31, 2018 6:42 pm
Vizeran shakes his head, "We can't discuss it here... The walls here literally have ears, and echoes linger forever," he says, "I invite you all to my home to discuss this matter further; it is the only safe place to discuss such... delicate matters."
Aug 31, 2018 6:49 pm
Hunter gestures to the walls and says, "If your plan works, shouldn't there be a record in case this happens again? You've made it clear that you're surrounded by fools, so what will prevent another imbecile from doing the same thing as Gromph?"
Aug 31, 2018 8:23 pm
"This never will happen again," Vizeran replies, "Few are even powerful enough to attempt something like this and I don't believe it could be duplicated."
Aug 31, 2018 8:30 pm
"Often the foolish believe themselves capable of such things, yes?" Hunter says, then waves her hand dismissively. "No matter, I will accompany you to your home so that I can hear this plan.

"One thing; what is faerzress?"
Aug 31, 2018 8:46 pm
Vizeran nods, satisfied, before responding to your question, "Faerzress is the name given to the unique, and powerful, magical emanations that permeate the Underdark."
Aug 31, 2018 9:07 pm
Hunter will seek to understand faerzress and how she might tap into its power, but if Vizeran isn't forthcoming, she will still travel to his home.
Sep 1, 2018 11:12 pm
Melpomene likewise follows the dark elf.
Sep 2, 2018 4:09 am
Mai'ngor tosses his mane angrily. "Your home? Our previous experience of drow hospitality was singularly unpleasant." he says through grit teeth.
Sep 2, 2018 4:39 am
"Indeed," Hunter says with a toss of her hand. "Still, the drow are predictable in the fact that if they need some fool to take all the risk for their reward, they're inclined to keep their pets alive and well.

"Isn't that right, Vizeran? You'd rather have us hospitable so that we can accomplish your task?"
Sep 4, 2018 3:40 pm
Vizeran nods, "You see it now," he says, "Maybe you're smarter than I thought. I have no use for you all dead."

With your apparent agreement, he nods, "Let us leave immediately. Time is of the essence," he says, sweeping out of the chamber with his bodyguard a step behind.

Hours later, you find yourselves back in the lightless caverns of the Underdark, following the powerful mage as he leads the way to his home. It takes upwards of two weeks before you reach a blank stone wall and he stops, "My home is just ahead," he says, "I expect that you'll be on your best behavior?"
Sep 4, 2018 4:19 pm
Hunter says, "Of course. I admit we've been ignoring each other for the past two weeks, but I give you our assurance that we are nothing if not best-behaved.

"A shame you missed the drinking game, though."
Sep 4, 2018 10:31 pm
Xeliss looks for any small trinkets of interest she can take while they are spoken to. For now, she merely examines the items.
Last edited September 4, 2018 10:32 pm
Sep 7, 2018 8:32 pm
Nodding, Vizeran taps the wall with a ring on his finger. The wall glows briefly before fading away to reveal a narrow passageway, "Your... retainers and mounts will have to camp here, I'm afraid," he says, turning and entering the tunnel without waiting for a response.
load next

Thread locked