GM Mentoring Project

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
Mar 20, 2018 12:15 am
I'm willing to either mentor or be a guinea pig player. I'd also mention that I have some blog material I've posted here about GM tips and advice. Check it out: Cruvis's Top 10 PbP Refereeing Tips
Last edited March 20, 2018 12:28 am
Mar 20, 2018 12:28 am
@Cruvis, all this time I thought I had put in a link in the first post pointing to Cruvis' Top 10 PbP Refereeing Tips! I am surprised to discover that I only did that in my head! Fixed now. :-)
Mar 20, 2018 12:52 am
LOL! I just added the last installment of my blog. *blush* It only goes up to 8 Tips. How embarrassing... Maybe someone can suggest some new topics for tips.

A few possibilities:
Maybe refereeing/managing theatre of the mind vs. combat map/miniatures combat.
Launching the successful game or campaign.
Game management
Last edited March 20, 2018 1:04 am
Apr 10, 2018 3:05 pm
I have to ask, has this idea taken off or has it died in the planning stages? I love this idea and as a long lived GM, approx. 37 years worth, tgis will be a great tool for aspiring referees.
Apr 10, 2018 3:19 pm
Depends on what system, I know Savage Worlds and Dungeon World is kinda going along.
Apr 10, 2018 3:23 pm
It's going as far as i know of albeit slow but going.
Apr 10, 2018 4:15 pm
My 5e game "First Foray" is going strong. We took an unexpected break but we should be getting back to it shortly. I've had some issues with forum organization but I've PM'd Keleth and hope to have that resolved soon.
Apr 10, 2018 4:22 pm
Well if you have a free moment... *cough*Everyone is waiting on you in the DW workshop.*cough* Link.
Apr 10, 2018 4:59 pm
Yeah sorry about that, Remnant. I've just come back from the unexpected break I mentioned above. Been posting about it all over GP but haven't gotten around to DW Builder just yet.
Apr 11, 2018 3:27 am
Danab says:
I have to ask, has this idea taken off or has it died in the planning stages? I love this idea and as a long lived GM, approx. 37 years worth, tgis will be a great tool for aspiring referees.
There haven't been too many takers on this offer, but reading back through the thread quite a few systems were offered. I hope more people will get behind this initiative.
Apr 11, 2018 4:20 am
Maybe if this gets stickied then new members will be able to see that it's an option when they come to this forum to peruse the games?
May 10, 2018 9:54 am
Just came across this great article. Added to the Helpful Resources section of the original post.

The Adventure Funnel
Last edited May 10, 2018 9:54 am
May 10, 2018 4:22 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
Just came across this great article. Added to the Helpful Resources section of the original post.

The Adventure Funnel
Terrific blog!! I love the Adventure Funnel. I would actually call it Backward Design, but that's 'cause I'm a shameless educator!!
May 13, 2018 7:28 am
I'd be in for guine-pigging in
- Dungeon World
- oWoD Mage
- Pathfinder
- D&D 5e
Jul 10, 2018 6:29 am
Hey, is this still an active thing? I have this homebrew world and campaign I've run with some friends that I wanted to try here, and another I've been kind of thinking of to learn from. I'd like to run in 5e D&D, just because that's the ruleset I'm most comfortable with. The one I'd run to practice occurs on the back of a giant turtle that's dying, if that helps me get someone.
If it goes well, I'd be able to start running my bigger world, one that I've been working on and off for quite a while.
Jul 10, 2018 9:37 am
"First Foray" and "Dungeon World Builder" (listed in the original post under Ongoing GM Mentoring Games) are still running. Personally I have learned a great deal! There was a lot of interest in this idea expressed on this thread but only those two games have been spawned. An still hoping for more.

I've put you on the list of Learners Seeking Mentors, Filthy_Casual. I hope you find your mentors! :-)
Jul 10, 2018 1:39 pm
@Filthy_casual, I'll can be your guinnie pig, i think of myself as a good 5e guy.

have you thought about maybe in a different setting also? theres a chance that another system may fit your world/rules better? Dugeon world is very... uhmm.. open with like everything. but structured enough to still play effectively! I'm still tryin to get a hang for it :)
Jul 10, 2018 7:25 pm
I'd be open to other systems, but only after I had some good experience being a GM. I've looked at HERO system and actually like that. Havent looked at dungeon world though.
Jul 11, 2018 3:34 am
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
"First Foray" and "Dungeon World Builder" (listed in the original post under Ongoing GM Mentoring Games) are still running. Personally I have learned a great deal! There was a lot of interest in this idea expressed on this thread but only those two games have been spawned. An still hoping for more.

I've put you on the list of Learners Seeking Mentors, Filthy_Casual. I hope you find your mentors! :-)
In addition to those two that you mentioned, Remnant has been so kind as to be my tour guide for Savage Worlds. (Savage Training Wheels) I've learned a ton (because I have a great teacher!), and hopefully will be able to translate this into a game at the top of my list of stuff to run/play.

And yes, this thread is definitely still alive.
Jul 11, 2018 4:16 am
Great to hear that, Phil! I do have Savage Training Wheels on the list, but didn't think it actually took off. I'm glad to know that it did!
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.