GM Mentoring Project

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Mar 13, 2018 8:02 pm
@Keleth often says this and I completely agree: what sets GP apart from other PbP sites is the community.

One of the best things I've seen happen on this site is people volunteering to run with the specific intent to teach a system to new players.

I consider myself somewhat of a veteran player. I've been playing D&D for more than 30 years (and numerous other systems for several years thanks in part to Gamers' Plane) but never have I DM'd.

Here's an idea I've been mulling over since November: What if we set up some games for newbie GM's? I was considering setting this up the same way @Naatkinson has set up D&D 5e Boot Camp, where it's one "game" but it's really set up as a bunch of separate groups. Each group would be an adventure being run by a newbie DM, possibly with one or several veterans as co-GM's.

Currently I have this setup with the working title "First Foray" through which I've just started running my very first D&D game, mentored by @Naatkinson, @CancerMan, @HypCo, @DMJ, and @Len and I must say I am already learning A LOT! I think it would be a good idea to eventually set the forums to Public so people who would like to "watch and learn" without necessarily participating can subscribe to it if they wish.

1. Is anyone interested in signing up as either a learner GM or as a mentor?
2. My idea is to have this wide open in terms of game system (one "learner" could be learning to DM D&D 5e, another learner could be practicing to GM Numenera or what have you). Do you think that's a good idea?

I'm open to any and all suggestions!
UPDATE:
Based on everyone's input it looks like the best way to go is to set up your own games, using this thread as a place for Mentors and Learners to come together.
UPDATE:
The GM Mentoring Project now has its own Discord channel on the GamersPlane server! Hope to see you there!
I've set up these lists which I'll try to keep up-to-date:
[ +- ] Mentor GMs accepting Learner GMs
[ +- ] Learners seeking Mentors
[ +- ] Willing Test Subjects/Guinea Pigs/Crash Test Dummies
[ +- ] Ongoing GM Mentoring Games
Last edited April 15, 2020 3:09 pm
Mar 13, 2018 8:09 pm
I love this idea Jabes. It has the added benefit of letting some of those "always a DM, never a player" folks get a chance to play.

I would love to participate in pretty much any capacity. For 5e and Pathfinder, I'd be able to do more of the mentoring kind of feel. Other systems I'd definitely be a learner in.

The one difficult part with having it all in one game area would be the submitting character sheets and such could end up having some hefty bloat once you get beyond a game or two in the same area. If one person was involved in multiple, keeping it straight which person to select when could get cumbersome.
Mar 13, 2018 8:21 pm
Thanks for the input, @Dramasailor! Yeah I imagine managing such a beast would be tough. I'd love to hear how @DM_Apexwolf and the other GM's at Venatus: West Marches are handling it!
Mar 13, 2018 8:28 pm
Sounds interesting. If people wanted to try to learn Dungeon World/Masks/Urban Shadows/Savage Worlds (pick your setting)/GeneSys/Cypher I'd be inclined down those roads to teach/train.
Mar 13, 2018 8:30 pm
Great idea Jabes. DMing is the best, and more people should try it. Giving peeps the opportunity to do it with mentorship is awesome.

I am not sure how well it all would work in a single "game" on GP, but if you want to expand to include an additional system, I'd be willing to help mentor someone.
Mar 13, 2018 8:42 pm
I can tell from experience that having three groups in my Boot Camp game has made it somewhat difficult to use the bottom red bar to manage characters well, which I ALWAYS use as a GM. Honestly, it would probably be best to have them be separate (public) games, just to keep things more manageable.

Others may have different thoughts on the subject, but that's my two cents based on the way I run games and navigate the site.
Mar 13, 2018 8:43 pm
Gosh, I'd really like to Mentor for anyone interested in learning how to run FFGs Star Wars system (Edge of the Empire, Age of Rebellion, Force &a Destiny), but don't know that I can commit the time.

Not clear on exactly how this is envisioned to work though... is it just that the Mentor kind of "shadows" the Student? And sends them PMs or in-game Notes, or something? Or is it in effect just a bunch of GMs playing in a Students game, with a bunch of back-and-forth about the system mechanics/dynamics, and game theory, etc.?

How exactly are you and your Mentors implementing this, Jabes?
Mar 13, 2018 8:57 pm
For now, it works as the latter. Jabes is tasked with setting up the world and something for the players to do, and the players stand ready to answer questions or provide insight whenever needed. It's also more than just being able to run the game, as we involve the PbP aspect: organizing forums, managing character information, figuring out effective methods of tracking posts, etc.

Most of the experience is gained by just running the game and seeing what works and what doesn't, and having a pool of trustworthy players that will offer honest critique without being patronizing or condescending.
Mar 13, 2018 9:23 pm
this indeed piques my interest.
Mar 13, 2018 9:25 pm
You people are amazing.

That's all, keep doing what you're doing, which is being amazing.
Mar 13, 2018 9:59 pm
Great idea, Jabes!
Mar 13, 2018 11:51 pm
Wonderful idea!

I'm happy to participate as a player, though I'm far from expert. I'm pretty maxed on my GMing duties at present, though I do have lots to learn.

To that end, for anyone who is one of my games and wants to give constructive feedback, I always welcome it!
Mar 14, 2018 1:20 am
I would also love constructive feedback in my games! I never know if I am doing it well.
Mar 14, 2018 1:32 am
Maybe a way to kick this chicken to the next bingo is to:
- establish a few best practices
- open up a "Looking For Mentor" list.
Mar 14, 2018 2:03 am
I want to learn how to GM...
Mar 14, 2018 2:38 am
I'd definitely be willing to be a part of this. Maybe we should make a pool of games we could be willing to mentor for?
Mar 14, 2018 4:11 am
This is fantastic. Being a new GM is always hard. Our hobby kind of expects us to just jump into the deep end of the pool and start to swim! I've seen several people in my home group and online do that and have an experience where their head goes under water and they swear GMing off. Having a veteran nearby to pull them up when that happens is a fantastic idea.

I volunteer for tribute! I like to think I'm a good GM. I've had some fantastic successes with games (and some turds, let's be honest) and I'd love to help someone out who's looking for help. Also, I plan to learn a TON from mentoring.
Mar 14, 2018 4:51 am
I'd also totally be down to help new DMs/GMs/STs learn dem some rules real gud. Here's a quick list of systems I feel comfortable enough teaching, though many of them are somewhat dated:

* Cyberpunk 2020/Mekton Zeta
* Twilight 2000
* Tales from the Floating Vagabond
* Cypher System (and its subsidiaries)
* Powered by the Apocalypse (and its various subsidiaries, such as Dungeon World, Monsterhearts, Masks, et cetera)
* Legend of the Five Rings & 7th Sea
* Mutants & Masterminds 2e
* Risus
* Pathfinder (Starfinder, Wayfinder, etc)
* D&D (1st through 5th Edition... I'm so old q_q)
* Shadow of the Demon Lord
* World of Darkness (+ Vampire, Changeling, & Hunter)
* Dust's Final Fantasy d6
* A Wanderer's Romance
* OpenD6 (+ MiniSix & WEG's D6 Systems, by extension)
* Top Secret: SI
* Straight to VHS
* Feng Shui 2e
* Warrior, Rogue, Mage
* Trollish Delver Studios' Minimalist RPGs (In Darkest Warrens, Wired Neon Cities, et cetera)
* The Window System

As an aside to future Game Masters: remember that everyone has their own distinct manner of "Game Mastering," whatever that title might actually be. I would also want to preface that for many games the rules are merely guidelines, and that finding your "voice" as the narrator or Storyteller or whathaveyou is something that comes with time and passion. And most importantly, remember the Golden Rule: the players should be having fun, and you should be having fun because they're having fun :)
Mar 14, 2018 5:03 am
Welp, it's time for the rest of us to pack it in. SaucyWaffle has it all covered! XD

Making a list is a great idea. I'll have to do that, as well, in the near future.
Mar 14, 2018 1:20 pm
Shark_Bone says:
Welp, it's time for the rest of us to pack it in. SaucyWaffle has it all covered! XD

Making a list is a great idea. I'll have to do that, as well, in the near future.
Just find one he's not doing. ;)
Mar 14, 2018 1:46 pm
I've got plenty on my list.

That brings up something worth stating, we don't need system experts, necessarily. It's GM mentoring, not rules-lawyer mentoring. So doubling up on games is a good thing as I might bring something to Gming a game that SauvyWaffle doesn't just like they'll bring something I don't. So, if someone wants to mentor, they shouldn't feel like they can't because someone else has listed the game they want to mentor.

Even new GMs should feel free to mentor if they feel the urge! We all have something to teach.
Mar 14, 2018 1:51 pm
As if my "to-do" list isn't long enough, I'll start considering what I can do to help make this a feature. Like with the West Marshes thing, maybe once it gets going, I can talk to people working on it to figure out what I can do to make it easier.
Mar 14, 2018 2:15 pm
My Dm'ing experience and expertiese is actually derived from playing in many games, granted PbP is genereally slower then live but its like in leadership, you take a bit of what you like from this DM/GM and put that in your toolbox etc... then you just make everything else up as you go along. I'm more of an in person teacher cause then someone would take the letter of the law vs. the intent of the law or RaW vs. RaI.
Mar 14, 2018 2:46 pm
I'd add it's mentoring how Mentor GMs might be different than how I end up GMing and vice versa it's mentoring not teaching really, styles and ideas varying but gives you something to build off of. Not everyone wants a goat in their game that turns into a meta content delivery system or how clues are revealed (personally I think it's awesome).
Mar 14, 2018 3:23 pm
Wow, I'm loving all your responses! I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this is a good idea. I've edited my original post to include a listing of Learners, Mentors, and ongoing learning games.
Mar 14, 2018 3:28 pm
you can put me down as most any of the D&D, i've played a bit of dungeon world. i still havn't gotten the hang of it but its cool.
Mar 14, 2018 3:56 pm
As Learner or as Mentor?
Mar 14, 2018 3:58 pm
Well theres always learing to happen but i can teach.
I'm always down to learn/play in different systems.
Mar 14, 2018 4:22 pm
Done! Thanks! :-)

Now we've got plenty of Mentors signed up, but only Moofsalot is signed up as Learner. When I feel like my headspace can take it I'll definitely want to get some mentoring running other systems (Dungeon World's at the top of this list).

Some ideas for implementing a GM Mentoring Game:
1. Learner will GM. Mentors will play.
2. Learner will GM. Mentor/s will co-GM. Players could be Mentors, or willing test subjects.
3. Two or more Learners will co-GM. Mentors play.
4. Mix and match any of the above.
I think it's really up to whatever the group decides. Whatever the Learner will be most comfortable with or find most helpful.
Last edited March 14, 2018 7:23 pm
Mar 14, 2018 4:27 pm
@Jabes
Someone say Dungeon World? Do you have time for the DW mentoring now? How's your villain cackle?
Mar 14, 2018 5:17 pm
I would like to try DW again with mentors. Maybe having several people to guide me will help, as I often get stuck on what sort of actions to give players when they help "fill in the blanks". To me it's always felt like improv, which I'm normally terrible at.
Mar 14, 2018 5:39 pm
Moofsalot says:
I would like to try DW again with mentors. Maybe having several people to guide me will help, as I often get stuck on what sort of actions to give players when they help "fill in the blanks". To me it's always felt like improv, which I'm normally terrible at.
Challenge accepted for Dungeon World

For Dungeon World, when in doubt beg, borrow, and steal. As long as you're not getting paid no one needs to know you're using the Korean drama episode you just watched as adventure content.
Mar 14, 2018 6:29 pm
For a list of games in which I would participate as a Mentor, I'd include:
- Vampire: The Masquerade
- Changeling: The Lost
- D&D 3.5, Pathfinder, 5e
- The Strange/Numenera/Cypher System
- Symbaroum
- Feng Shui, Feng Shui 2
Mar 14, 2018 11:25 pm
I've added a third category of participant: in addition to Learners and Mentors we are now accepting Willing Test Subjects/Guinea Pigs/Crash Test Dummies! :-D
Mar 14, 2018 11:46 pm
Woo!

My list to mentor is:

* Burning Wheel Gold
* Mouse Guard 2e
* New World of Darkness 1e (mortals & Hunter)
* Shadow of the Demon Lord
* Call of Cthulhu 7e

Not a huge list, but I'm passionate about those games and know them pretty well.
Mar 15, 2018 12:12 am
@Jabes There is a link error in the first post to my list of games. To shorten it, you could just put Vampire: the Masquerade, Changeling: the Lost, The Strange/Numenera/Cypher System... The others are obscure albeit awesome.
Mar 15, 2018 12:34 am
Fixed! Sorry 'bout that! :-)
Mar 15, 2018 1:44 am
I am interested in mentoring and being mentored and just being a test subject.

I feel confident in mentoring for D&D 5e and Exalted And World of Darkness games (primarily Vampire)

I would very much like some help with Fate.

I would be happy to play anything and give constructive feedback on GMing in general. I'm just lack the rules mastery in other systems.
Mar 15, 2018 3:06 am
I'd be happy to help people with:

Pathfinder 1st Ed
13th Age

I've tried my hand at other games, but these two are what I'd be most comfortable teaching. Pathfinder is the game I probably know best, and 13th Age is a game I just really like.

As far as learning, I'd love to learn Savage Worlds and some WoD
Mar 15, 2018 10:25 pm
If anyone wants to learn DW, I have plenty of experience from the player side. Come join the party! If y’all are patient with me, I can do the same.
Mar 20, 2018 12:15 am
I'm willing to either mentor or be a guinea pig player. I'd also mention that I have some blog material I've posted here about GM tips and advice. Check it out: Cruvis's Top 10 PbP Refereeing Tips
Last edited March 20, 2018 12:28 am
Mar 20, 2018 12:28 am
@Cruvis, all this time I thought I had put in a link in the first post pointing to Cruvis' Top 10 PbP Refereeing Tips! I am surprised to discover that I only did that in my head! Fixed now. :-)
Mar 20, 2018 12:52 am
LOL! I just added the last installment of my blog. *blush* It only goes up to 8 Tips. How embarrassing... Maybe someone can suggest some new topics for tips.

A few possibilities:
Maybe refereeing/managing theatre of the mind vs. combat map/miniatures combat.
Launching the successful game or campaign.
Game management
Last edited March 20, 2018 1:04 am
Apr 10, 2018 3:05 pm
I have to ask, has this idea taken off or has it died in the planning stages? I love this idea and as a long lived GM, approx. 37 years worth, tgis will be a great tool for aspiring referees.
Apr 10, 2018 3:19 pm
Depends on what system, I know Savage Worlds and Dungeon World is kinda going along.
Apr 10, 2018 3:23 pm
It's going as far as i know of albeit slow but going.
Apr 10, 2018 4:15 pm
My 5e game "First Foray" is going strong. We took an unexpected break but we should be getting back to it shortly. I've had some issues with forum organization but I've PM'd Keleth and hope to have that resolved soon.
Apr 10, 2018 4:22 pm
Well if you have a free moment... *cough*Everyone is waiting on you in the DW workshop.*cough* Link.
Apr 10, 2018 4:59 pm
Yeah sorry about that, Remnant. I've just come back from the unexpected break I mentioned above. Been posting about it all over GP but haven't gotten around to DW Builder just yet.
Apr 11, 2018 3:27 am
Danab says:
I have to ask, has this idea taken off or has it died in the planning stages? I love this idea and as a long lived GM, approx. 37 years worth, tgis will be a great tool for aspiring referees.
There haven't been too many takers on this offer, but reading back through the thread quite a few systems were offered. I hope more people will get behind this initiative.
Apr 11, 2018 4:20 am
Maybe if this gets stickied then new members will be able to see that it's an option when they come to this forum to peruse the games?
May 10, 2018 9:54 am
Just came across this great article. Added to the Helpful Resources section of the original post.

The Adventure Funnel
Last edited May 10, 2018 9:54 am
May 10, 2018 4:22 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
Just came across this great article. Added to the Helpful Resources section of the original post.

The Adventure Funnel
Terrific blog!! I love the Adventure Funnel. I would actually call it Backward Design, but that's 'cause I'm a shameless educator!!
May 13, 2018 7:28 am
I'd be in for guine-pigging in
- Dungeon World
- oWoD Mage
- Pathfinder
- D&D 5e
Jul 10, 2018 6:29 am
Hey, is this still an active thing? I have this homebrew world and campaign I've run with some friends that I wanted to try here, and another I've been kind of thinking of to learn from. I'd like to run in 5e D&D, just because that's the ruleset I'm most comfortable with. The one I'd run to practice occurs on the back of a giant turtle that's dying, if that helps me get someone.
If it goes well, I'd be able to start running my bigger world, one that I've been working on and off for quite a while.
Jul 10, 2018 9:37 am
"First Foray" and "Dungeon World Builder" (listed in the original post under Ongoing GM Mentoring Games) are still running. Personally I have learned a great deal! There was a lot of interest in this idea expressed on this thread but only those two games have been spawned. An still hoping for more.

I've put you on the list of Learners Seeking Mentors, Filthy_Casual. I hope you find your mentors! :-)
Jul 10, 2018 1:39 pm
@Filthy_casual, I'll can be your guinnie pig, i think of myself as a good 5e guy.

have you thought about maybe in a different setting also? theres a chance that another system may fit your world/rules better? Dugeon world is very... uhmm.. open with like everything. but structured enough to still play effectively! I'm still tryin to get a hang for it :)
Jul 10, 2018 7:25 pm
I'd be open to other systems, but only after I had some good experience being a GM. I've looked at HERO system and actually like that. Havent looked at dungeon world though.
Jul 11, 2018 3:34 am
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
"First Foray" and "Dungeon World Builder" (listed in the original post under Ongoing GM Mentoring Games) are still running. Personally I have learned a great deal! There was a lot of interest in this idea expressed on this thread but only those two games have been spawned. An still hoping for more.

I've put you on the list of Learners Seeking Mentors, Filthy_Casual. I hope you find your mentors! :-)
In addition to those two that you mentioned, Remnant has been so kind as to be my tour guide for Savage Worlds. (Savage Training Wheels) I've learned a ton (because I have a great teacher!), and hopefully will be able to translate this into a game at the top of my list of stuff to run/play.

And yes, this thread is definitely still alive.
Jul 11, 2018 4:16 am
Great to hear that, Phil! I do have Savage Training Wheels on the list, but didn't think it actually took off. I'm glad to know that it did!
Jul 11, 2018 3:02 pm
CaveJohnson says:
@Filthy_casual, I'll can be your guinnie pig, i think of myself as a good 5e guy.

have you thought about maybe in a different setting also? theres a chance that another system may fit your world/rules better? Dugeon world is very... uhmm.. open with like everything. but structured enough to still play effectively! I'm still tryin to get a hang for it :)
You guys are either really close to winning or being slaughtered off like side characters.
Jul 11, 2018 3:03 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
Great to hear that, Phil! I do have Savage Training Wheels on the list, but didn't think it actually took off. I'm glad to know that it did!
I'm running two people through a solo session Investigation Modern & Pulp. I think it's public if people want to check them out.
Jul 12, 2018 9:07 am
I can help out with 5e, too. :)
Jul 12, 2018 9:13 am
I have put you on the Mentor list, @marithyme! :-)

@Remnant, looked for your modern pulp game but couldn't find it. Got a link?
Last edited July 12, 2018 9:17 am
Jul 14, 2018 9:27 pm
I've posted my learning game, invited Marithyme and Cavejohnson. Would anyone else like to join? At least one more would be nice. game link
Jul 15, 2018 11:21 am
Added this to the list of Ongoing GM Mentoring games:
Quote:
On The Backs of Turtles
Learner GM: Filthy_Casual
Mentors: marithyme, CaveJohnson
Those who expressed interest in becoming D&D 5e Mentors or guinea pigs, please give this game some support! If I didn't already have a full plate, I'd join! Best of luck, Filthy_Casual!
Jul 15, 2018 7:33 pm
I've been more absent then present, lurking and visiting. I just want to say that even in the shadows I've always appreciated the community and the efforts that everyone makeup to support each other. @Jabes, @keleth and the other long time members on this thread, thanks for really making it a community. New peeps, you keep it fresh and interesting and vibrant here. I'm not active much anymore but may be able to work on some tools or scenarios if you all need another hand.
Jul 15, 2018 10:07 pm
Thank you very much Jabes! I'm already getting great tips and advice!
Jul 16, 2018 1:49 pm
I just came across this article by Mike Shea, Tools for New D&D Dungeon Masters which includes links to several other articles:

Finding and Maintaining a D&D Group
Starting Strong at your First D&D Game
Improvisation in D&D for New Dungeon Masters
A New Dungeon Master's Guide to Miniatures
A New DM's Guide For Building Combat Encounters

Some of the advice is maybe more useful for face-to-face gaming at the table rather than PbP, but helpful anyway. Added to the "Helpful Resources for GM's Old & New" list in this thread's first post.
Last edited July 16, 2018 1:49 pm
Jul 16, 2018 4:43 pm
I'm a little surprised, Filthy_Casual, that you haven't been inundated with requests to join your game. Feel free to invite me if you need another player with 5e GMing experience.
Jul 19, 2018 1:46 pm
I would love to help out for 5e but life and other game commitments would make that detrimental to the one learning. I may alsp check in on some of these games to get an idea of how others run there games and find new ways for me to run my own. This is a fantastic idea Jabes and I applaud your thinking.

Never stop playing
Last edited July 19, 2018 1:47 pm
Jul 19, 2018 2:13 pm
Thanks, DM_Apexwolf! I'm so grateful to all the awesome people in this community who are willing to let us pick their GM brains!
Jul 19, 2018 2:16 pm
Woot! The GM Mentoring Project now has its own Discord channel on the GamersPlane server! Hope to see you there!
Jul 19, 2018 9:31 pm
I'll check that out when I get home!
Jul 24, 2018 4:13 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
I have put you on the Mentor list, @marithyme! :-)

My apologies didn't notice this post.

https://gamersplane.com/forums/2560/
Jul 26, 2018 4:59 pm
Remnant says:
Jabes.plays.RPG says:

The link doesn't work, @Remnant. It just goes back to https://gamersplane.com/forums/
Jul 26, 2018 10:46 pm
it might be to the post where the fourm is not the game details?
Jul 27, 2018 12:00 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
Remnant says:
Jabes.plays.RPG says:

The link doesn't work, @Remnant. It just goes back to https://gamersplane.com/forums/
Did realize the game was set to private, modern (horror surprise) is almost done. Pulp training session is at the tilt.
Aug 2, 2018 11:59 pm
I'd be happy to help out for 5e if help is still needed.
Aug 3, 2018 4:39 am
Thanks, Tsavo! Is that as mentor or as guinea pig (or both)?
Aug 3, 2018 10:27 am
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
Thanks, Tsavo! IS that as mentor or as guinea pig (or both)?
Not sure I'm completely clear on the distinction. I have experience DMing and am willing to play in a rookie DM's game and give constructive feedback and help where, when, and how I can.

I'm much less experienced in running games here than in real life, but am happy to help how I can. Is that mentor or guinea pig? I thought mentor, but I figured it means being a test subject in an experiment which sounds piggish to me. So...

I don't have the time in my real life at the moment to DM unfortunately. I love doing it, however, so I figured I'd help others discover the joy for themselves. This is a GREAT idea, by the way. Well done!
Aug 3, 2018 12:27 pm
The only reason there's even a distinction is because I imagine the term "mentor" might intimidate and drive away some folks who would have participated otherwise. Even a newish player can be a guinea pig, but a certain level of experience as a DM is expected of a mentor. Does that make sense? I'm putting you on the list for both. :-) Thanks for the support!
Aug 3, 2018 12:53 pm
I think the distinction is this:

Guinea Pigs are just there to experience the game being run by a new GM with little expectation besides simply playing the game

Mentors are expected to be able to give feedback, advice, and guidance to the GM.
Aug 3, 2018 1:15 pm
Naatkinson says:
I think the distinction is this:

Guinea Pigs are just there to experience the game being run by a new GM with little expectation besides simply playing the game

Mentors are expected to be able to give feedback, advice, and guidance to the GM.
Correct. A newbie DM's gotta have players!
Aug 3, 2018 2:28 pm
Awesome. Happy to serve as either.
Aug 6, 2018 3:49 pm
I'd love to learn FATE and more Burning Wheel. I can help teach Pendragon
Last edited August 6, 2018 3:49 pm
Aug 6, 2018 4:04 pm
Thatguy, I could talk Burning Wheel with you. I wouldn't want to commit to a full on active game, but we could start up a "tutorial" game and focus on talking theory and mechanics?

I'd be down for that right now.
Aug 6, 2018 4:22 pm
I am totally cool with that
Aug 6, 2018 5:03 pm
Ran across this and thought some new (and even experienced) DMs could benefit from it. At worst, it's an enjoyable listen/watch.

Let's build an adventure

Matthew Colville does it again. Love this guy!
Aug 7, 2018 2:42 am
Thanks, Tsavo! Matt Colville always has some great stuff for both new and experienced DM's!

@thatguy2 I've put you on the list as learner seeking a FATE mentor, and as someone who can teach Pendragon. (see here)

I've added the BWG Tutorial game to this thread's original post.
Aug 15, 2018 4:54 am
I’d love to toss my hat in ring for being a test subject.
Especially for things like Pendragon, L5R & IK:RPG
Aug 15, 2018 5:18 am
Added you to the list, MattParody! Thanks!
Aug 26, 2018 7:09 pm
I'd mentor anyone who wanted to try running CoC. I don't know how much interest there is for that, but seems like there's a decent amount of interest in playing CoC, so if it would encourage anyone to try running their own game I'd be happy to volunteer.
Aug 26, 2018 7:35 pm
I've added you to the list, Santouche! Thanks!
Last edited August 26, 2018 7:36 pm
Oct 9, 2018 4:11 pm
There has been some very interesting discussion on the Discord channel pertaining to gridded combat versus theater of the mind (TOTM) in play-by-post. Both methods have their strengths and shortcomings, of course, but I am sharing here two very helpful links that were shared by @lenpelletier and @naatkinson:

A Helpful Guide for DM's Running Theater of the Mind Combat
Running a Game Without Miniatures

I have also added both links to the first post in the "Helpful Resources for GM's Old & New" spoiler.

What are your thoughts on battlegrids vs. TOTM in PbP? Any best practices you would like to share?
Last edited October 10, 2018 3:22 pm
Oct 9, 2018 4:27 pm
IRL i've used Totm because its quicker and "easier" to manage and makes the game go "smoother," but i have a slight problem for describing things (which i've been working on because of the pbp also :) )

On here it seems a bit more useful to have some sort of map thing. sketch, map, grid, gsheet, whatever.. for the "Where am i cause we havnt' posted in a while or whatever"
Nov 2, 2018 3:12 am
I'm happy to mentor someone, and I have a varied experience list.

Games:
D&D 3.0, 3.5, or 5th
FATE or FAE
Marvel TSR (Old FASERIP System, completely free online)
Mouse Guard
White Wolf OWD
d20 Modern
Star Wars d20
Deadlands
Savage Worlds

Take some brushing up.... but BESM
Nov 2, 2018 3:13 am
Santouche says:
I'd mentor anyone who wanted to try running CoC. I don't know how much interest there is for that, but seems like there's a decent amount of interest in playing CoC, so if it would encourage anyone to try running their own game I'd be happy to volunteer.
If you decide to do this, I'd love a brush up on simply PLAYING CoC. So, if you find a couple people to mentor or even just one but need players, please let me know.
Nov 2, 2018 3:25 am
Simkin says:
If you decide to do this, I'd love a brush up on simply PLAYING CoC. So, if you find a couple people to mentor or even just one but need players, please let me know.
Sure thing! I'm also running a couple CoC games myself at the moment (well one CoC and one Delta Green, which is like CoC in the present day with government conspiracy etc) and I don't think either of them need new players currently, but I'd be happy to reach out when the time comes to either inject new blood or start up a new game.
Nov 2, 2018 3:26 am
Santouche says:
Simkin says:
Sure thing! I'm also running a couple CoC games myself at the moment (well one CoC and one Delta Green, which is like CoC in the present day with government conspiracy etc) and I don't think either of them need new players currently, but I'd be happy to reach out when the time comes to either inject new blood or start up a new game.
Deal and done. Keep me in mind, I intend to be a long-term player here!
Nov 12, 2018 6:14 pm
Hey GP GMs!

I had a couple ppl express interest in learning about the FFG Star Wars system, and GMing in general, so I started a Tutorial thread.

All are welcome! Swing by if you're interested in learning about FFG Star Wars, or GMing on Gamersplane in general!

GAME LINK
Last edited November 12, 2018 6:15 pm
Nov 12, 2018 9:58 pm
Hey GMs I am prepping for my upcoming Birthright game. There will be noble houses, royal courts, and intrigue. I have zero experience running or playing anything political. I am wondering if any here could help prep me for the political aspect of the game and possibly even coach me on opportunities to make political moves during the game.
Last edited November 12, 2018 9:59 pm
Nov 12, 2018 10:32 pm
Constablebrew says:
Hey GMs I am prepping for my upcoming Birthright game. There will be noble houses, royal courts, and intrigue. I have zero experience running or playing anything political. I am wondering if any here could help prep me for the political aspect of the game and possibly even coach me on opportunities to make political moves during the game.
I've ran and played in quite a few political games in the context of other systems (specifically, Burning Wheel and Vampire), so I could give you some non-mechanics/narrative advice, based on what I've seen work (and not work)?

PM me?
Nov 13, 2018 5:52 pm
PeMsquared sent!
Feb 28, 2019 6:53 pm
Being new to PBP I would really like to utilize a mentor for D&D5e. However, I was also wondering if there was a guide or template to go by for setting up your game forum and sub-forums to create.

I was trying to search these forums for something like that but do not see a search feature.
Feb 28, 2019 7:32 pm
Lanacan says:
Being new to PBP I would really like to utilize a mentor for D&D5e. However, I was also wondering if there was a guide or template to go by for setting up your game forum and sub-forums to create.

I was trying to search these forums for something like that but do not see a search feature.
There's no search feature at the moment, but I can help you out. What specifically were you looking for in regards to your forum setup?
Feb 28, 2019 9:31 pm
Naatkinson says:
Lanacan says:

There's no search feature at the moment, but I can help you out. What specifically were you looking for in regards to your forum setup?
Is there a guide or template to go by for setting up your game forum and explaining what sub-forums to create ot make the experience better for players (and DM running it)?
Feb 28, 2019 9:38 pm
Lanacan says:
Naatkinson says:
Lanacan says:

Is there a guide or template to go by for setting up your game forum and explaining what sub-forums to create ot make the experience better for players (and DM running it)?
There's not at the moment, but I'll tell you what I generally do.

1. Create 'Character Creation' and 'Out-of-Character Chat' threads. The use of these is obvious and they are tremendously useful.

2. Create a sub-forum for setting information. In this, I'll usually have a thread for known NPCs, locations, and the overall story so far.

3. When I make a thread for the actual gameplay, I will generally do it in 'Chapters'. I will name it after the basic story for the upcoming part of the adventure. When that part is over, I'll make another. This keeps the story in bite-sized chunks for easy reference later on.

4. I also create a subforum called 'GM Screen' and make it invisible to the players. This allows me to keep notes within the forum without allowing people to see what I'm planning
Mar 1, 2019 3:14 am
Naatkinson says:
Lanacan says:
Naatkinson says:
Lanacan says:

There's not at the moment, but I'll tell you what I generally do.

1. Create 'Character Creation' and 'Out-of-Character Chat' threads. The use of these is obvious and they are tremendously useful.

2. Create a sub-forum for setting information. In this, I'll usually have a thread for known NPCs, locations, and the overall story so far.

3. When I make a thread for the actual gameplay, I will generally do it in 'Chapters'. I will name it after the basic story for the upcoming part of the adventure. When that part is over, I'll make another. This keeps the story in bite-sized chunks for easy reference later on.

4. I also create a subforum called 'GM Screen' and make it invisible to the players. This allows me to keep notes within the forum without allowing people to see what I'm planning
Thank you!
Apr 1, 2019 5:22 am
Contributed by @naatkinson:
5E House Rules Compendium

@Contributed by @lenpelletier
The Phrontistery - For every GM trying to find a cool, rare word for something

Both links added to the list of GM resources in my original post.
Last edited April 1, 2019 5:23 am
Apr 4, 2019 6:12 pm
Thanks to @CaveJohnson for this handy cheat sheet!

https://crobi.github.io/dnd5e-quickref/preview/quickref.html

Added to the list of GM resources in my original post.
Last edited April 4, 2019 6:14 pm
Apr 4, 2019 8:42 pm
hahaah i forgot all about posting that, I've got alot of other links that may or may not have came from here
if someone will remind me on friday night i'll go thru my bookmarks and post XDD
Apr 5, 2019 1:59 am
CaveJohnson says:
hahaah i forgot all about posting that, I've got alot of other links that may or may not have came from here
if someone will remind me on friday night i'll go thru my bookmarks and post XDD
That's an oldie, but a goodie, amigo.
Apr 19, 2019 5:44 am
Any GMs out there want to share their best practices for keeping their players engaged while the GM is either tied up IRL or struggling with writer's block? Obviously, you post something in OOC. But soon it's been a few days, but you're still indisposed and they're still waiting on you. You could post another OOC apology, but I'm sure you guys can suggest better alternatives.
Apr 19, 2019 12:49 pm
Wait two days, post "Shuffling in the bushes! Roll Initiative." Then wait two more days. Then say, "It's a hippo in lipstick! You all beat its initiative go to town."

There, that's like 9 days.
Apr 19, 2019 12:51 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
Any GMs out there want to share their best practices for keeping their players engaged while the GM is either tied up IRL or struggling with writer's block? Obviously, you post something in OOC. But soon it's been a few days, but you're still indisposed and they're still waiting on you. You could post another OOC apology, but I'm sure you guys can suggest better alternatives.
Depending upon the campaign, you could try having characters summarize their perception of other characters' actions. This can be a fun writing activity as the GM can encourage "stretching the truth" as they recount how heroic (or cowardly!) a party member acted in a recent battle or negotiation. As nothing is canon with this, they can have fun with it and even project (from their own character's perspective) the motives for why another character acted the way they did. The added benefit this activity may serve is to allow a player to see how other characters view his/her character.
Apr 23, 2019 4:03 am
Ask the players what they think is going on behind the scenes or in other areas of the game world. When you come back, you'll have a ton of new story lines to pursue. You might even end up replacing your story with bits of theirs.
Apr 23, 2019 4:58 pm
Jabes i think yoru doing a good thing in the sea game. Idk if it's a reference to other games. I think the hardest thing you've done is haveing as many key players as we do but with a little plot push everyone would pickup and RP like their supposed to me thinks.
Apr 25, 2019 2:41 pm
Hi guys,

I'm fairly recent to GP and I may be already overstretching as a player... but I'd like to try doing some GMing (at some point).
Any mentor around with free time? Not sure if I have it myself... but let's see how it goes :)

What I'm looking for is (long-term):
1) Establish some connections to discuss GMing in the long run
2) Try using/creating a minimalist set of rules system that will generalize well for PbP (so I don't need to read 500 pages of rules!)
3) Adapt a couple of published games to see how these rules work in practice.
4) Slowly develop my own game
Apr 25, 2019 2:53 pm
CESN: If you want a game that's good for pbp without a lot of fiddling, go with 13th Age. Cypher might be good too; I'm not as familiar with it. It's more universal than 13A, but 13A can be reflavored pretty easily, and has an SRD online.

If you want to discuss 13th Age, shoot me a PM.
Apr 27, 2019 3:32 pm
Hi again guys,

just checking if anyone else would like to help Falcon helping me ;)
Apr 28, 2019 6:16 pm
in not knowledgeable of that system, i'm in a game i'm pretty good with d&d but am learning other systems also, so i can help in what aspects i can lemme know
Apr 30, 2019 5:53 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
https://writerswrite.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/My-Writing-Process.jpg
Pretty much....

OR only when I am at work and cannot work on World building.
May 2, 2019 3:59 pm
Hey guys. Anyone can give me some tips on Groups and permissions?
I'm trying to have a GM only subforum by making a group (so if I were to add new players I didn't have to change individual permissions).
I made a group but 1) not sure how to assign players to it 2) can't delete it

(On a different note... it seems that every time I make a new thread, the pinned thread "unpins")
Last edited May 2, 2019 4:01 pm
May 9, 2019 6:25 pm
FYI I think you can cross out my Dungeon World and Savage World games from the OP thread post.
May 11, 2019 4:41 pm
@Remnant: Done. I know Dungeon World Builder eventually petered out but how did Savage Training Wheels go?
May 11, 2019 4:41 pm
I don't believe Groups works as intended yet. However, you can still make a GM-only subforum by managing permissions in the Administrative Control Panel.

Click on the subforum name in the left sidebar, then click on the Permissions tab, and you should see a list of users at the bottom, each with "[ Create ]" after their name (or "[ Edit ] [ Delete ]" if you've already created permissions). Click on that, set everything to No, and that user will not see the subforum. You will have to repeat this for each person in your game.
May 11, 2019 4:42 pm
CESN says:
Hey guys. Anyone can give me some tips on Groups and permissions?
I'm trying to have a GM only subforum by making a group (so if I were to add new players I didn't have to change individual permissions).
I made a group but 1) not sure how to assign players to it 2) can't delete it

(On a different note... it seems that every time I make a new thread, the pinned thread "unpins")
To make a GM only subforum, go to the adminstrative control panel and make a new subforum. Make sure it's selected in red on the left side and then click the permissions button. Where it says "Add permissions for (Name of the Game)" click add.

Once you've done that, hit the edit button next to it and set everything to "No". That will stop everyone from seeing that subforum.
May 11, 2019 4:48 pm
The group structure doesn't currently work on the forums aside from the default group.

In order to make a GM Only sub-forum, you should follow these steps:

1. In the Administrative Control Panel, add your subforum.
https://i.postimg.cc/NfW6bx3B/ACP-1.png

2. Then, select the key icon next to your newly created subforum.
https://i.postimg.cc/BvN1W5V8/ACP-2.png

3. Add permissions for the default game group, and set everything to "No" and click Save.
https://i.postimg.cc/cCtK8p4Y/ACP-3.png

https://i.postimg.cc/c4YmpjMr/ACP-4.png

Enjoy your new GM only subforum!
You can use the same base process to create private forums for specific users so you can have a private area for the GM and player to trade information or whatever you'd like. In order to do this, after doing steps 1-3 above proceed with:

4. Click Create next to the player you want to give permissions to, and set whichever permissions you'd like to "Yes".
https://i.postimg.cc/x8mvSJmW/ACP-5.png

Then, that player and the GM will have visibility.

NOTE: You don't need to create permissions for yourself. As a GM on the game, you have the ability to view any forums/subforums/notes on the game.
Last edited May 11, 2019 4:49 pm
May 11, 2019 4:52 pm
I should add that if your game is Public then everyone who is NOT a player in your game can see your GM only subforum! I don't know if there's a different way that will ensure the forum is visible only to you.
May 11, 2019 6:01 pm
Thanks guys! That’s a lot of info to play around with :) i’ll have a look as soon as I get my hand on the pc ;)
May 11, 2019 6:07 pm
Also, in case it isn't mentioned above, if a new player joins a game, they aren't part of any blanket permissions that existed when you used them, so you'll need to manually edit every permission where you want to exclude them.
May 11, 2019 6:14 pm
Ah yes. That was the original reason for me to start checking the groups. It actually happened to a GM that is running a game i’m in (now they know my secret plan to run off with the evil princess 😭 )

Having groups permissions would be easier to keep new players out (instead of forgetting about their permissions!). It would be a matter of simply adding the player to the right group :)
May 11, 2019 8:50 pm
Belatedly adding this link to the OP under Helpful Resources for GM's Old & New: An incredibly useful D&D 5e magic item generator created by our very own @Len!
May 13, 2019 8:07 pm
I would love to learn to GM D&D 5e and Mutants & Masterminds 2e, if any mentors have seats in either of those titles.
May 14, 2019 12:19 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
@Remnant: Done. I know Dungeon World Builder eventually petered out but how did Savage Training Wheels go?
One finished up the other kinda of fizzled with an alien disguised at a dictator threating to launch missles at a movie studio shooting location unless he was giving spaceship parts...

Currently I'm going through a new Savage Worlds one shot in a 80s horror setting.
May 24, 2019 10:50 pm
RevDonkBonkers I've got a 5e Adventure League Rules game going that has some seats open if you wish to jump in that. And in a few weeks i'll probably start another 5e homebrew style game.

Lemme know if your interested, the AL game takes place in the jungles of Chult and the town nearby/
Jun 4, 2019 4:52 am
Thanks to @lenpelletier for sharing this article on the GamersPlane Discord channel.

http://slyflourish.com/old_man_and_the_bowls.html

Best practises in dealing with game-breaking spells.

I will add it to the list of helpful resources for GMs old and new found in this thread's original post.
Jun 21, 2019 8:37 am
Hi. If this is still going, I can definitely mentor prospective GM's in D&D 5e, Vampire the Masquerade (OWoD and 5e), and FFG Star Wars. I have been running and playing games for about 35 years. I am always into helping people become GM's as I am one of those people who always gets stuck with the job and never gets to play, lol!
Jun 21, 2019 9:06 am
Thank you, @mcinnis138! I have added you to the list of "Mentors accepting learners" in the original post. I also hope you'll join the discussion at the Discord channel. Thanks again!
Jun 21, 2019 9:23 am
Thanks, Jabes.plays.RPG!
Jul 12, 2019 4:30 pm
i mean its not completely wrong...
Jul 12, 2019 4:33 pm
I think the bottom photo is far too in depth...
Jul 12, 2019 5:28 pm
Kubby87 says:
I think the bottom photo is far too in depth...
"Dragons?" Should be at least scribbled out
Jul 25, 2019 2:12 pm
Hi guys!

It seems that a couple of players still haven't dropped from my short first run ;)
I'm planning on expanding the adventure and I was wondering if there is anyone free for some long-term, but low intensity, story mentoring! My idea is to stay with published materials for the moment, so it would be mostly checking ideas and making sure things fit together (and getting some feedback on how the game is going) :D
Jul 25, 2019 4:48 pm
It's an interesting set of rules that be.
Sep 5, 2019 7:46 pm
I'd be interested in being a gm.
Sep 5, 2019 7:56 pm
What system would you like to try first? There are many possible mentors, but not all mentors are comfortable mentoring in any system.
Sep 5, 2019 8:02 pm
unknown...although, since I'm already looking through the rulebooks for games I'm playing in, either Call of Cthulu or Vampire the Masquerade? I'm not touching Shadowrun with a 10ft pole because of how dense it is though the theme is AMAZING. Also, maybe dnd5e or pathfinder though fantasy isn't always my shtick
Sep 6, 2019 4:25 pm
Probably Vampire
Sep 6, 2019 4:25 pm
The lore is cool as well
Sep 6, 2019 5:01 pm
Vampire is one of those games where most of the violence is social. It's a lethal system and you can't gauge your opponents strengths, so caution is warranted. This uncertainty is very apparent in gameplay by those familiar.
Sep 6, 2019 5:05 pm
so many things to consider...choosing a system is hard (but good practice for the choices to come)
Sep 6, 2019 6:26 pm
Does anyone have advice for systems?
Sep 6, 2019 6:33 pm
To answer a question with a question, consider the following questions:
- do you like tactical considerations, where you and the players manage resources in intricate dance of resource management?
- do you feel drawn to interpersonal conflict and resolution?
- would you prefer to enabling a tone of mystery and magic?
Sep 6, 2019 6:37 pm
Number 1: yes, of course. A lack of/ low amount of resources is amazing to watch people plan around and foster creative solutions.
Number 2: yeah, people getting along all the time is boring.
Number 3: possibly...working things out is cool but I'd have to write a convincing mystery. Magic can be cool but it isn't a priority.
Sep 6, 2019 6:47 pm
Really crunchy games, like Shadowrun, thrive on resource management. Character creation itself is hard choices of 'if I do X, I can't be good at Y'. These choices are meaningful in part because there are so many many choices and ways to do things.

Your passing on 2 and 3 really tell me that you're looking for probably combat-based conflicts using a system with sound tactical handling of conflict. You'd probably be good to start with a tactical fantasy game, such as D&D (easier) or Shadowrun (more difficult). There is are modern day variants of D&D if you want to pass on crazy magic hijinx.
Sep 6, 2019 6:51 pm
I didn't pass on two...i just don't have much to say on it.
Sep 6, 2019 6:53 pm
but okey...*looks at dnd* thats not one that i could fully enthusiastic for as a gm. Unless i did something WAY out of the norm, just because the theme kinda bores me a little.
Sep 6, 2019 7:00 pm
Melanqolia, is it fair to say that you're more interesting in social conflicts and RP than in bookkeeping?
Sep 6, 2019 7:03 pm
Interesting and unique rp would always be a plus, especially if characters differ in approaches. I'm not really sure what i like as i have...barely played...I have a broad range of interests.
Sep 6, 2019 7:13 pm
It might be more useful to try a broad range of games as a player, just to help you figure out what kinds of elements you like and don't like.
Sep 6, 2019 7:15 pm
I am, kinda, they just haven't all kicked off yet.
Currently got:
Lancer
Call of Cthulu
DnD5E
Shadowrun
Starfinder
Vampire the Masquerade
Sep 6, 2019 7:19 pm
All games can do everything, it's up to the GM and players to agree upon a style and stick with it. But some systems lend themselves to styles of play better than others. Vampire makes combat dangerous so encourages political solutions. D&D rewards combat with experience, so encourages violent solutions.
Sep 6, 2019 7:36 pm
oh, that's good to think about
Sep 6, 2019 10:04 pm
The best advice I could give would mirror Moonbeam's: try as many different types of systems as you can. Try games meant for combat, games meant for social drama, games with horror and insanity consequences, games with intriguing magic systems, d20 games, d6 games, dice pool games, fate dice games, those crazy star wars ffg dice... try a bunch and see what you like.

Then figure out what kind of world you want to play in, and what kind of stories you want to communally tell. That can help you narrow down the system you want to use pretty quick.

Do you want to roleplay the political tension of noble houses trying to out maneuver each other in a bid for the throne? Sure, you can play it in any system, but some systems are designed specifically for that style of play (A Song of Ice and Fire RPG springs to mind) while others might not have as detailed rules for every type of conflict. Your system has to have the right moving parts. You could play all that political maneuvering in 5e, but the single roll social conflict resolution might be unsatisfactory.
Sep 6, 2019 10:06 pm
Thanks for the advice! I'm trying!
Sep 8, 2019 8:11 pm
I might have an idea.
Sep 8, 2019 8:18 pm
For 5e, or maybe Pathfinder
Sep 9, 2019 5:34 pm
Improved my hook thanks to advice
[ +- ] Hook
Sep 10, 2019 10:25 am
Not to throw the curve ball, but what about Cypher System, GeneSys, or Savage Worlds? If you're not feeling Fantasy after a few sessions you can reboot into a different genre with a new game/premise or possibly just shift the characters, I may be reading too many isekai light novels though...
Sep 10, 2019 11:41 am
But...i don't know those systems and I'd rather dm a system I have experience with and have read cover to cover multiple times already.
Sep 10, 2019 1:02 pm
That's what I'd suggest first, is to get really good at one game first. You don't need to read anything cover-to-cover, though. Once you know a game quite well, you can sometimes see what you'd like to improve. The easiest way to do that is pick a game lots of people know and have perspective on. D&D is a great start, and you'll get lots of support in this community.
Another game I'm really liking is ICRPG, which is really stripped down to core elements. I'm not used to it's versatility quite yet.
Sep 10, 2019 1:06 pm
Thanks for the advice
Sep 11, 2019 11:06 pm
Ahhhh, after that hook and the advice I got, I feel a little guilty but I'm gonna change to a Lancer game because I like Sci Fi more
Sep 11, 2019 11:06 pm
Ahhhh, after that hook and the advice I got, I feel a little guilty but I'm gonna change to a Lancer game because I like Sci Fi more
Sep 12, 2019 5:56 pm
Alright! Anyone who wants an invite to the forum, just say so!
Sep 13, 2019 3:21 am
I've added Melanqolia's Lancer game to the list of Ongoing GM Mentoring Games in the original post. Good luck! :-)
Last edited September 13, 2019 7:38 am
Sep 13, 2019 5:49 am
Thank you!
Sep 22, 2019 6:29 pm
I would be happy to teach new players the system and/or happy to teach people the basics and techniques of GMing. If I can be of assistance, please PM me.
Sep 22, 2019 7:24 pm
Which system/s, WhtKnt?
Sep 22, 2019 11:24 pm
Pick one. Okay, okay. I am familiar with D&D (1E, 2E, 3.5E, 5E), Pathfinder 1E, Savage Worlds, Traveller, Mutants & Masterminds 3E, d20 Modern, Dungeon Crawl Classics, Mutant Crawl Classics, Mighty Protectors/Villains & Vigilantes 3E, Villains & Vigilantes 2.1, and a vast array of older systems.
Jan 5, 2020 12:28 pm
If this is still going on, I’d love to be mentored on the following systems:

- Call of Cthulhu
- Numenera
- Star Wars FFG (Edge of the Empire)

I’ll be on the Discord channel as well. 🙂
Jan 5, 2020 9:23 pm
I can lend a hand with helping someone learn to Story Teller and/or role player regardless of the system. Although my background reads about like WhtKnt's does although they a few I have not used and I have a few they did not list. Still if you want the full extensive list just let me know -- otherwise Story Telling is about the same for every system and once you get those down (which are not the as easy as they seem I am guessing) you are pretty much golden no matter what crunchy bits you are using to tell the story with
Jan 6, 2020 1:38 am
De I would love to be mentored in Savage world's and legend of the five rings if possible. I want to gm when path of waves hits.
Jan 6, 2020 4:16 am
Okay so how does this mentoring thing work -- I mean I could just start a Thread I suppose where we could discuss your game and what you plan to do with it. I heard mention of a Discord server perhaps we do it there? So would whomever is running this shin-dig please chime in
Jan 7, 2020 7:22 pm
Essentially. You can start up a game or thread for the discussions. I personally think best method is to play either having them as a player or you play in their game giving them help as necessary.

Also Discord is good for super quick response IMO
Last edited January 7, 2020 7:22 pm
Jan 7, 2020 7:58 pm
Yes I know I have my own options that was not my question -- as I thought I read they have a Discord server already set up for this and I was just trying to determine what they might be and/or if it might be

@Jackwolfking how would you like to proceed would you like me to create a instructional thread here or would you prefer Discord -- I am leaning towards here that way others can see it as well and maybe pick up pointers
Jan 7, 2020 7:59 pm
I don't think it's ever been as formal as a special Discord server set up for this purpose.
Jan 7, 2020 8:04 pm
There's a channel in the GP server. There's no dedicated mentoring project server.
Jan 7, 2020 8:06 pm
Okay so @Jackwolfking would you be good with me starting a GM/Storyteller thread ??
Jan 8, 2020 3:09 pm
@Jackwolfking

Saw you mentioned SW did you get SWADE or Deluxe?
Jan 8, 2020 4:13 pm
@dejoker sure message me the link.

Um I'm not sure is there a difference?
Jan 8, 2020 4:26 pm
@Jackwolfking the expression this/that generally means synonymous meaning the subtle difference between is minor just trying to use the expression you might be more comfortable with -- Storyteller (my preference) is a GM and basically vice-versa.

Okay so I will get one started and shoot you an invite -- and post a link here as well for anyone that might be interested
Jan 8, 2020 4:43 pm
@Jackwolfking invite sent --- the Forum is Storytelling 101
Jan 8, 2020 5:19 pm
I am interesting in following along if I may?
Jan 8, 2020 6:12 pm
@jackwolfking
SWADE just came out 2019 I believe. Let me know if you wanted a one shot with meta filter off.
Jan 8, 2020 6:48 pm
Just a note: All of my games are open to the public for viewing purposes. Feel free to follow along and ask any questions that you may have!

Ghosts of Saltmarsh
Kingmaker Solo Game
Into the Borderlands
Jan 8, 2020 8:19 pm
okay I have sent 2 invites and 2 other players just simply joined either method works
Jan 8, 2020 8:37 pm
How does one find games that are open to the public if you weren’t invited?

I can access all three links posted by WhKnt, but I can’t find them back from the general Forum page, and I wonder how to find other ones.
Jan 8, 2020 8:46 pm
There's not a great way to view public games. There's a thread for them here but I imagine it's wildly incomplete.

Here are links to my current public games, fwiw:
Blackwater Creek, Call of Cthulhu 7th Edition
Operation BRILLIANT REPOSE, Delta Green: The Roleplaying Game
Operation MOONLIGHT SERENADE, DG:TRPG
Our Friends, the Machines, Tales from the Loop
Jan 8, 2020 8:47 pm
You can't really find them. There's a forum thread that links to public games but there's no way to search for then
Jan 9, 2020 4:43 pm
Remnant says:
@jackwolfking
SWADE just came out 2019 I believe. Let me know if you wanted a one shot with meta filter off.
Yes. SWADE was released in 2019. Fun system! :)
Jan 16, 2020 1:46 am
In case anyone missed it -- something started over here for putting together quality notes on quality GMing
Last edited January 16, 2020 1:47 am
Jan 21, 2020 3:29 am
Hi, folks! Apologies for my absence.

@Koszul and @Jackwolfking, I have added your requests to the list of Learners Seeking Mentors original post.

@DeJoker, I have added Storytelling 101 to the list of Ongoing GM Mentoring Games (and I have applied to join).

Thank you for the participation, everyone! See you on the Discord channel as well!
Jan 21, 2020 7:17 am
Okay had trouble with your request to join -- PM'd you and then just invited you as that seemed to be the most expedient method
Feb 28, 2020 8:24 am
https://www.enworld.org/attachments/greyhawk-jpg.118396/

Fun read: James Ward reminiscing about adventuring with Gary Gygax DMing. https://www.enworld.org/threads/gary-gygax-things.669413/
Apr 15, 2020 3:10 pm
I've been trying my hand at using Google slides for encounter map building. @lenpelletier shared these two helpful links for making map tokens! Added to my original post.

Token Stamp - online tool for creating map tokens.
TokenTool - an offline option for creating map tokens.
Jul 5, 2021 1:56 am
I just wanted to point out that the majority of my games are open (that is, the public can follow along) and lurkers are welcome. If you have any questions about how or why I did something, feel free to shoot me a PM.

Into the Borderlands (D&D 5e)
AD&D Mega Campaign (AD&D 1e)
Life's a Beach (Dungeon Crawl Classics)
Fade to Black (Traveller)
In Search of Adventure (D&D B/X)
Last edited July 5, 2021 2:03 am
Jul 5, 2021 2:42 am
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
Kind of depends on where you are in the game. Clear OOC communication is always welcome, but I would also say if you're not right in the middle of something, let the players author some scenes. Together, solo, etc. Day in the life type stuff, connections they've been wanting to make, etc.

If you're right in the middle of things, flashbacks can work too -- give the PCs latitude to recall when they last saw these kinds of circumstances, etc... but not everyone digs that kind of thing, I suppose.
Jul 5, 2021 2:43 am
And well, I just noticed I've responded to something ancient. Tripped up by the 'latest post' being one I hadn't read from ages ago.

Ignore me!
Jul 5, 2021 3:17 am
I would be willing to help people with a PbtA system game, if you are still looking for volunteers. Probably focusing on something like Masks or Monster of the Week, since those are really popular examples of the system in PbP. I'm new to this site, but I have a lot of experience with PbtA in PbP other places.
Jul 5, 2021 2:21 pm
WhtKnt says:
I just wanted to point out that the majority of my games are open (that is, the public can follow along) and lurkers are welcome. If you have any questions about how or why I did something, feel free to shoot me a PM.

Into the Borderlands (D&D 5e)
AD&D Mega Campaign (AD&D 1e)
Life's a Beach (Dungeon Crawl Classics)
Fade to Black (Traveller)
In Search of Adventure (D&D B/X)
Thanks, @WhtKnt!

Yes, reading public game threads is a great way to familiarize oneself with rulesets you may be unfamiliar with, how GP works, as well as different players' and GMs' playstyles.

Don't forget to the official Index of Public Games which I believe is updated regularly.
Jul 5, 2021 2:22 pm
Rezart says:
I would be willing to help people with a PbtA system game, if you are still looking for volunteers. Probably focusing on something like Masks or Monster of the Week, since those are really popular examples of the system in PbP. I'm new to this site, but I have a lot of experience with PbtA in PbP other places.
Thanks, @Rezart! I have added you to my original post under "Learners seeking Mentors." Are you currently running any PbtA?
Jul 5, 2021 2:35 pm
Harrigan says:
And well, I just noticed I've responded to something ancient. Tripped up by the 'latest post' being one I hadn't read from ages ago.

Ignore me!
Well, the thread was left untended while I was on hiatus. Some renewed efforts were made towards the same goal (here and here) but I do intend to keep this thread going. And don't forget to check out the Discord channel that this thread spawned: #gm_mentoring_project
Harrigan says:
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
Kind of depends on where you are in the game. Clear OOC communication is always welcome, but I would also say if you're not right in the middle of something, let the players author some scenes. Together, solo, etc. Day in the life type stuff, connections they've been wanting to make, etc.

If you're right in the middle of things, flashbacks can work too -- give the PCs latitude to recall when they last saw these kinds of circumstances, etc... but not everyone digs that kind of thing, I suppose.
Thanks, @Harrigan! Good stuff! I love handing the players the reins. It always results in something cool, and often takes the story in interesting new directions.
Jul 5, 2021 5:59 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
Rezart says:
Thanks, @Rezart! I have added you to my original post under "Learners seeking Mentors." Are you currently running any PbtA?
I am, but in other locations, not on GP. I did try to organize one game on here, but it didn't go great. I think it's a fantastic system, and I'd like to get more people into it.
Jul 5, 2021 6:52 pm
Which flavor of PbtA specifically? I love Dungeon World! I've attempted to GM it a few times but I'd love to see how someone with more experience runs it.

I'd love to try to play Apocalypse World but opportunities have been rare.
Jul 5, 2021 7:09 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
Which flavor of PbtA specifically? I love Dungeon World! I've attempted to GM it a few times but I'd love to see how someone with more experience runs it.

I would also like to play in an Apocalypse World game.
Jul 5, 2021 8:06 pm
Quote:

I'm running a Masks game right now through Discord. I've run several Dungeon World and Monster of the Week games through another site. I'm interested in getting familiar with the set up on here
Quote:
I would also like to play in an Apocalypse World game.
I might run a game on here in the future, but I'm trying to get a feel for the community first; it didn't feel quite right the first time around. I very much support and want to help with the idea of getting more people to GM more games.
Last edited July 5, 2021 8:06 pm
Jul 6, 2021 9:11 pm
LF mentor, dnd 5e, voice chat can be an option, after appointment due to timezone and stuffs. Pm me.
Yeah, I'm doing it mmorpg style recruitment
Jul 7, 2021 11:06 am
Thanks, @Antiproduct. I've added you to the list. If you haven't yet, might be worthwhile to also post on #gm-mentoring-project.
Jul 7, 2021 1:25 pm
Did that, thanks. Qralloq stepped up for it if no-one else can but I know he has a busy schedule. So you might as well leave it as is for a bit.
Jul 7, 2021 4:10 pm
I can throw in for mentoring the following: Fate, The Black Hack, many OSR games, Tiny Dungeon, Forbidden Lands, Vaesen, Barbarians of Lemuria, Mothership, Shadow of the Demon Lord, Mork Borg.
Last edited July 7, 2021 4:17 pm
Jul 7, 2021 4:12 pm
I'm definitely up for Mentoring. There are a bunch of systems I can lend some help with mechanically but my focus would be more on the system-agnostic side.
How do you set up a good game forum? How do you set a scene? When should you end a scene and move to the next?
That kind of stuff.
Jul 7, 2021 4:25 pm
Awesome! Added you two to the list. Thanks!
Jul 7, 2021 5:03 pm
I'm open for mentoring for 13th Age and can pretty much always (within limits) either start a new game or add a player to an existing game.
Jul 7, 2021 5:20 pm
Added. I actually all this time thought you were on that list already!
Jul 7, 2021 5:35 pm
I'm pretty familiar with any flavor of Dungeons & Dragons, Gamma World, Alternity, Traveller, Villains & Vigilantes, Mighty Protectors, Pathfinder, Savage Worlds and to a lesser degree, GURPS and Mutants & Masterminds. I'm gradually learning FATE and the new Twilight 2000. Feel free to add me to the list.
Jul 7, 2021 5:39 pm
Some possible Learner-Mentor pair ups! This is just based on posts to this thread. Unfortunately I can't be monitoring #gm-monitoring-project all the time.

Learner seeking Mentor: • thatguy2: FATE & Burning Wheel
Possible Mentor: • Harrigan: FATE

Learner seeking Mentor: • Koszul: Call of Cthulhu, Numenera, Star Wars FFG (Edge of the Empire)
Possible Mentors:
• Santouche: Call of Cthulhu
• emsquared: FFG Star Wars system (Edge of the Empire, Age of Rebellion, Force & Destiny)
• mcinnis138: FFG Star Wars.

Learner seeking Mentor: • Jackwolfking: Savage Worlds, L5R
Possible Mentors:
• Remnant:Savage Worlds (pick your setting)
• WhtKnt: Savage Worlds

Learner seeking Mentor: • Antiproduct: D&D 5E
Possible Mentors:
• Dramasailor: D&D 5e
• mcinnis138: D&D 5e
• WhtKnt: D&D 5E
Jul 7, 2021 5:53 pm
Guess I'll start something.
Jul 7, 2021 7:00 pm
Apologies to Santouche, emsquared, and mcinnis138. I missed that Koszul has been inactive 1 month.
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
Learner seeking Mentor: • Koszul: Call of Cthulhu, Numenera, Star Wars FFG (Edge of the Empire)
Possible Mentors:
• Santouche: Call of Cthulhu
• emsquared: FFG Star Wars system (Edge of the Empire, Age of Rebellion, Force & Destiny)
• mcinnis138: FFG Star Wars.
Jul 13, 2021 4:24 pm
I am available for mentoring in these areas:
how to run successful play by post games (I have two games that have been running for over 6 months, one for over a year and one for over 2 years)
Plot Hooks
Player Development
Story Development
Immersion
Engagement
Dialogue
Setting
Theme
OK, what I mean is the story and writing elements of any game. Monsters are more than stats, so are characters, so are places and NPCs.

Games I can show you the mechanics on:
Call of Cthulhu, D100 games, Open Quest, Mythras, M-Space, Odd Soot, RuneQuest, Legend, Age of Shadow, etc.
D&D - B/X, 1E, 2E, 3.5E, 5E, 5E Hardcore
OSR - Old School Essentials, Lion & Dragon, Dark Albion, Dungeon Crawl Classics, Mutant Crawl Classics
All versions of Gamma World
Earthdawn, Fading Suns
Alternity
Warhammer Fantasy
Knave, Gamma K
Cairn - not the furry version. It has the same name but is entirely different.
Open D6, Mini D6
AGE system (Dragon Age, Fantasy Age, Lazarus, Modern Age, Expanse, Titan's Age)

...and others, if interested, ask me and I will tell you if I've any experience it. (amazing engine, monsters and magic, inquisitor, star frontiers, Numenera, World of darkness, under ground, swords and wizardry, lamentations of the flame princess, mjork borg, vow of honor, world of dew, trinity, tribe 8, talislanta, the one ring, middle earth roleplaying, rolemaster, HARP, nephilim, mutant chronicles, and more)

Except Powered by the Apocalypse games which I despise - it's personal, please don't be offended, if you like these games, by all means play on.

Never played Traveller, Star Trek, Paranoia due to disinterest, or Elfquest, or Gurps for the same reasons. I have tried to like these game systems, but it isn't for me.

I can only take one padawan at a time.
Jul 14, 2021 2:08 am
I am familiar enough to teach mechanics for:

Star Wars d6
Any flavor of D&D
Gamma World
Elfquest
Alternity (old and new)
GURPS
Call of Cthulhu
Dungeon Crawl Classics
Mutant Crawl Classics
Rolemaster
HARP
MERP
FASA Star Trek
LUG Trek
Traveller
Star Frontiers
Savage Worlds
Mutants & Masterminds
Villains & Vigilantes
Mighty Protectors
MERP (Middle Earth Role-Playing)
Marvel Super-Heroes (FASERIP)
Pathfinder
Warhammer FRP
James Bond 007
Top Secret
Spycraft 2.0 (1.0 is basically d20)
d20 Modern
Legend of the Five Rings
Big Eyes, Small Mouth
DC Heroes (MEGS)

I won't claim to be as skilled as umbraldragon at GMing, but I've been playing RPGs for 42 years and have been running PbP games since the late 90s (via listserves).
Jul 14, 2021 7:11 am
Thank you, @umbraldragon and @WhtKnt (again!). I've updated the original post (quoted below) to include your input. Wow, we've got a LOT of systems covered! Thanks again!
Quote:
[ +- ] Mentors accepting Learners
Aug 3, 2021 9:04 pm
Quote:
[ +- ] Mentors accepting Learners
Last edited August 3, 2021 9:05 pm
Aug 7, 2021 1:10 am
May I suggest adding The Monsters Know What They’re Doing to the GM resources. I’m reading the book, but the blog site is similar content and very helpful to spice up your encounters.
Aug 7, 2021 1:46 am
Oh yes that site's been a great help to me as well! Can't believe I failed to add it! Thanks!

Added it to the original post.
Aug 8, 2021 6:20 am
Added another Mentor GM accepting Learner GMs to original post.
Quote:
• vagueGM: World of Dungeon (WoDu), Powered by the Apocalypse (PbtA)
Aug 8, 2021 6:46 am
WhtKnt says:
I am familiar enough to teach mechanics for:

Call of Cthulhu

I won't claim to be as skilled as umbraldragon at GMing, but I've been playing RPGs for 42 years and have been running PbP games since the late 90s (via listserves).
I really want to run a Shadowrun Game and I’m still trying to work out why NOBODY talks about Vampire the Masquerade lol. I have done a solo adventure of Coc but would LOVE to be mentored to run it properly if you can lend a hand?
Aug 8, 2021 7:35 am
PixE says:

I really want to run a Shadowrun Game and I’m still trying to work out why NOBODY talks about Vampire the Masquerade lol. I have done a solo adventure of Coc but would LOVE to be mentored to run it properly if you can lend a hand?
Shadowrun has a reputation as a cursed game on the site. I myself have been a player in 2 and a GM in 1 and none of the games have made it longer than a month. If you want to GM I'd be glad to apply as a player, I still have my character from the failed games lol.

As for VtM, I can only speak for myself but I find it the least interesting game in all of RPGs. Out of the thousands of rpgs, it's at the bottom of the lost lol.
Aug 8, 2021 7:41 am
nezzeraj says:
PixE says:

Shadowrun has a reputation as a cursed game on the site. I myself have been a player in 2 and a GM in 1 and none of the games have made it longer than a month. If you want to GM I'd be glad to apply as a player, I still have my character from the failed games lol.

As for VtM, I can only speak for myself but I find it the least interesting game in all of RPGs. Out of the thousands of rpgs, it's at the bottom of the lost lol.
Wow ok :-/ I don’t have much i experience as a GM apart from when I’ve directed myself……if someone could help me Co-GM a game of Shadowrun 5e then we can make it work maybe? To be honest I don’t really like long campaigns. The best games I’ve played are the ones that are short and sweet……if everyone enjoys it then you can choose to carry on like :)
Aug 8, 2021 8:09 am
Shadowrun comes with some pitfalls but that doesn't mean it can't work. Savage Worlds also has a cursed reputation on the site and I've been in a couple of successful SW games before!
Aug 8, 2021 10:19 am
I ran one Vampire: The Masquerade game for 3.5 years. I'm currently running one that's six months in and feels like it's just getting started after 500 posts. Honestly, while it's a favorite of mine to run in real life it's much harder to run in PBP and remain engaged, at least in the sandbox way I run it.

I have played in at least five V:tM games in GP and they all died after a month or so.
Aug 8, 2021 10:49 am
While Werewolf worked wonderfully well
Aug 8, 2021 11:53 am
Jabes.plays.RPG: Maybe add Dungeon World to my list of games. While it is around the bottom of the list of PbtA games I run, it is still on the list. Many people think of DW first and might be looking for that.
Aug 8, 2021 12:53 pm
Shadowrun suffers from a number of problems that plague tabletop & PbP games. One is edition fatigue. What mean by that is this: the game is in it's 6th edition, I think, and there are players that like certain editions over others and will usually only play certain editions. While this is fine with widely popular games like D&D, Shadowrun is a niche game with a scarcer player population. The other big obstacle is the varying player approaches to character design, having to shoehorn them all into an adventure together, and somehow make it work and then there's the PbP planning stage for a 'run that takes so long enough players lose interest and the game folds...
I love the setting (it was the first for me to see positive Native inclusion instead of as cannon-fodder or inconvenient obstacle) and enjoyed both playing & GM-ing it and would love to see it flourish but it's always had an aura of misfortune about it. I'd definitely support seeing it succeed on GP and would offer to help a GM mentor project for it.

V:tM always suffered from the 'herding cats' issue with characters & motivations. Tabletop games seemed to be more cohesive and the characters had on games I ran, at least on the surface, compatible and cohesive goals. I think that was due to the players knowing each other and that often isn't present in PbP player ensembles. At least with Werewolf, there's an urge towards player goal unification baked into the game lore of W:tA that helps keep players on track... The newer Chronicles of Darkness I'm not so familiar with.

Anyway, enough rambling... I'd be willing to help GM mentor a few games in familiar enough with to maybe be useful:

GURPS
DC Heroes (MEGS)
Ars Magica
Call of Cthulhu
Shadowrun (may have to brush up on later editions)
PbtA
Aug 8, 2021 2:24 pm
Edited original post:

Added PixE as seeking co-GM for Shadowrun.

Added Dungeon World to games vagueGM is willing to mentor.

Added witchdoctor to list of Mentor GMs accepting Learners for GURPS, DC Heroes (MEGS), Ars Magica, Call of Cthulhu, Shadowrun (may have to brush up on later editions), PbtA
Aug 9, 2021 10:44 am
Oh also I was looking through my stuff last night and I came across a Copy of Uprising which runs on the Fate Core System…….would love to run it and it looks fairly straightforward. Is there anyone that’d be able to help me make this a reality? In the space of a few days I’ve rediscovered what I love (and miss) about RPG’s…….I need more in my life lol
Aug 12, 2021 8:41 pm
Ack! I started a game for mentoring PbtA GMs and already have applicants... before I even have anything to say! :D

Anyway, it is still rough and ill formed, but then it is a GM's 'game' so that is appropriate. I don't know what you all want, so you will have to tell me. We can spin off personal games if need be.

GM's Round Table (PbtA) recruiting.
Aug 12, 2021 10:59 pm
I'd like to learn how to GM properly
Aug 13, 2021 1:57 am
Hi there, as mentioned on Discord (where I'm @mikeyp) I want to learn how to GM, and am most interested in PBTA games. I eventually want to run Brindlewood Bay for some friends, but keen to get experience with any PBTA games beforehand.
Last edited August 13, 2021 1:58 am
Aug 13, 2021 4:37 pm
I have been playing D&D since the 70's. Always in the Forgotten Realms. But I'm an old-school book nerd. PBP presents a lot of technical challenges for me. I'm useless with maps for example, and usually find it difficult to post a simple picture.

I would love to up my game, because I have a feeling I'm going to be here a LONG time. And I'm regularly dazzled by the things other DM's post in games I'm playing in.

I'm thinking of a co-DM partnership. A 20th century book worm, and a 21st century techno-geek mentoring each other into well rounded PBP DM's.
Aug 13, 2021 5:32 pm
Skallagrimm says:
I'm thinking of a co-DM partnership. A 20th century book worm, and a 21st century techno-geek mentoring each other into well rounded PBP DM's.
I know nothing about RPG theory or game design, but if you need a geek then I’ll be your wingman.
Aug 14, 2021 12:11 pm
I am interested in joining the GM's Round Table for Powered By the Apocalypse games. The game thread said to drop by here first, so here I am.
Aug 14, 2021 2:29 pm
Verrain says:
... game thread said to drop by here first ...
Er... yes. That game was put together in a hurry. The wording could be better. I kinda meant 'stop by here so you can see what it is about; and also to let us know what you are wanting to get from the experience'. But I have been asking people to repeat their introductions and needs in the game as well so we have an easier to find record of them... I must fix the wording.

Anyway, go ahead and apply, but you can also tell us what you are wanting from the experience. It can help others know what other people's interests are and what is on offer.
Aug 14, 2021 2:43 pm
Edited original post:

Added seeking co-GM for Uprising via Fate Core to PixE's listing.

Added Skallagrimm as seeking co-GM to help him with the more technical side of things even though I think Adam has got him covered.

Added theatreofcomets to Learners seeking Mentors (PbtA) even though I see he has joined vagueGM's "GM's Round Table (PbtA)"

I see OkumHart has also joined vagueGM's round table. Cool! Any other games you'd like help with, OkumHart? Your post didn't specify.
Aug 14, 2021 4:32 pm
Adam says:
Skallagrimm says:
I know nothing about RPG theory or game design, but if you need a geek then I’ll be your wingman.
I've already learnt SO MUCH from you, and I have nothing to offer you in return....

however, if you're offering, I'd love to learn how to make those "shadowed" maps you use.
Aug 15, 2021 10:27 am
If you mean this sort...

https://i.imgur.com/vApbNBj.jpg

...that are based on calculating the character's line of sight, then these maps were based on my own code and I never got around to documenting it.

Mainly because I've now switched to these...

https://i.imgur.com/6R7uxNf.jpg

...OtFBM (on the fly battlemaps).

I made the switch because these are documented at http://docs.otfbm.com and good documentation is important.

Qralloq has a video on getting started with OtFBM.

I think that video and the docs should give you everything you need.
Aug 21, 2021 4:09 am
Using the Senses

Here's something you might consider in your next gaming session:

Using Descriptions in Your Game

Is it raining? or do droplets of water patter the leaves and fall in rivulets to the water logged soil.

Is it a campfire? A smoky tang of mesquite and roasted meat permeate the air as you near the campfire. Fat sizzles and "pops" as your dinner cooks inside its charred bark. Spicy peppers, garlic and fresh river onion blend into the blue gray haze as the Halfling cook deftly hacks and skewers a hunk of steaming flesh from the nearly black brisket. He offers it to you for a taste test...

Description, description, description. I know you've heard it a hundred times. And yet, we forget we are creating a vision of the world the characters are in. You have five senses to use to get the players immersed in the setting. What does it sound like and smell like as you walk along the corridors of a generation starship? They say space smells like charred wood or metal.

Do you remember what it was like the last time you ran as fast as you could for an extended period of time? A clutch of a dozen goblins chasing your 2nd level character down a winding dirt tunnel with bloodlust in their eyes, launching curses and profanities at you and telling you which body parts they want to lay claim to. You feel like your lungs are about to burst open as you suck in as much oxygen as you can only to exhale, depleting you of that precious oxygen, and your thighs pumping so hard they begin to shake and tremble. That element of fear compounded by the adrenalin build up of your situation accompanied by the stench of dead bodies lying somewhere in the filth of the goblins lair!

Ok you get it. Remember, most of the time, you have enough time to make a solid post that will make your players want to run ever faster or make their chops salivate for a hunk of beef (apologies vegetarians, I could have chosen a hearty, meatless chili stew - yumm) or curse the rains as they never seem to stop as they slog mile after mile in churned black mud.

Take each element and consider how it interacts with the setting and the environment. If you do this, you'll have better and more memorable games.

Umbral's Note: You don't have to do this ALL the time. That becomes taxing. Pick moments when they least expect it and perhaps turn a mundane "let's camp and set a watch" into "dam that is some fine dinner." You might find that the Bard may have a song or two, or perhaps the Dwarven Slayer actually has some pipes (sing skill 80%) and isn't ALWAYS trying to die a glorious death or drink himself into a blind stupor! LOL.
Aug 21, 2021 5:49 am
This is great stuff, umbraldragon! Engaging all the senses is something I aim for in my narration but often forget. And I really like the reminder at the end to NOT always do it or else it becomes taxing. Thanks for sharing!

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/368611537012916238/872169351455842374/this_is_good_stuff.gif
Sep 24, 2021 2:10 pm
May I ask what this games are? I am quite an experienced player and GM in a variety of systems, but I never run a PbtA - and I may have the occasion of running a Masks game soon (IRL). I saw that there's one of these threads in game open for recruitment. What can I expect?
Sep 24, 2021 2:31 pm
Aironfabio: You are welcome to hop into the GM's Round Table (PbtA) for general PbtA stuff.

So far we have mainly chatted about how certain rules/situations work, and a few people have run some experimental scenes with no pressure and lots of questions/what-ifs.

There has not been a lot of Masks (if any?) yet, I don't really do much Supers, but I have run the game and can advise if you need --it is pretty basic PbtA, so general advice still applies-- and this is a Round Table, so others with more Supers-relevant knowledge are encouraged to speak up as well.

The Forums are public, so feel free to take a look.
Aironfabio says:
... I never run a PbtA - and I may have the occasion of running a Masks game soon (IRL) ...
You can always open up a test Masks game here. Be up-front about the fact that you are wanting to learn and that players should not get their expectations up too high, and be up-front about how much you are wanting to run (quick few scenes, one-shot, short game, ...), and you will probably find players willing to join.

While 'Supers' holds less interest for me than most other genres (aside from horror, which I tend to avoid), I am happy to play if it is teaching-related. :)
Dec 2, 2021 12:57 pm
Added Johnn Four's 5 Room Dungeons to the list of Helpful Resources for GMs Old & New included in the original post.
Dec 10, 2021 2:27 pm
I'm looking for help with running a campaign. I have been running a sandbox, and It's been a blast, but I have ideas that I'd like to see happen plot-wise and I am having a hard time figuring out how to do it.

Up until now, I've been just designing encounters and using monsters that I think are fun, or would present a challenge to the players. I'd really like to take the came to the next level but would love to be able to bounce ideas around with others.
edit:

I'm not looking for a co-DM, more some experienced DMs who can help me realize my potential with the storytelling part of the game.
Last edited December 10, 2021 2:28 pm
Dec 10, 2021 3:36 pm
I'm not an experienced DM by any measure but I'm at your service if you're just looking for someone to bounce ideas around with.
Dec 11, 2021 4:15 am
Same, feel free to ask questions and anyone here would be glad to help out.
Jan 10, 2022 12:35 pm
Said @Len via Discord:
Len says:
This is a pretty great hexcrawl/sandbox generator. The quality and quantity of information it produces is impressive. https://pendicepaper.com/hexroll/index.html
I've added it to the "Helpful Resources for GMs Old & New" list in this thread's first post.
Jan 15, 2022 5:29 am
Jello! I wanted to offer myself up to learn about this! I am completely new to this whole thing but I am slowly getting it none the less. But I am really excited and nervous all at the same time bc this whole thing is quite daunting. ʕ •ᴥ•ʔゝ☆
Jan 15, 2022 6:57 am
The community's got plenty of amazing GMs happy to teach! Some might recommend you try to gain more play experience before you try GMing, but I say if you've the urge then go for it! Based on what you've said in your intro thread you're probably trying D&D 5e first? You'll probably need to get your hands on the DMG. The great thing about play-by-post is there's time to look things up. One thing that you can try is a co-DM situation with an experienced DM.
Jan 15, 2022 7:42 am
Aye, someone to communicate ideas with or examples of situations are a great thing. If there's one bit of advice I'd offer, it's don't sweat over EVERYTHING. Seriously, it just makes things so much more complex than they need to be. Plus, not all rules are needed to play. If there's something to take away from the DMG, or really most RPG guides that share the mindset, if a rule doesn't fit, change it or get rid of it. You're looking to have fun, so forcing every rule might not be the best thing.
Jan 15, 2022 1:48 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
The community's got plenty of amazing GMs happy to teach! Some might recommend you try to gain more play experience before you try GMing, but I say if you've the urge then go for it! Based on what you've said in your intro thread you're probably trying D&D 5e first? You'll probably need to get your hands on the DMG. The great thing about play-by-post is there's time to look things up. One thing that you can try is a co-DM situation with an experienced DM.
Yea DdD 5e is what has lead me thru this rabbit hole of finding all if these new things but I plan on trying this at first. But I do have one question! What would you consider more (easy) I suppose? Because frankly it's kinda scary thinking of having to run the whole thing! Also this is a case of me not read properly when I didn't have enough sleep because I didn't know this was the GM Mentor thread but I might as well embrace it while i'm here.
Jan 15, 2022 1:54 pm
Wolfiedabs32 says:
... What would you consider more (easy) I suppose? Because frankly it's kinda scary thinking of having to run the whole thing! ...
"Easy" is always a relative term, it depends largely on what you are good at. Play to your strengths.

If (unlikely) you are asking about which is easier between being a player and being a GM, then, at first, being a player is almost definitely easier, but with practice both are as 'easy'.

If you mean when co-GMing: Then, again, play to your strengths, let the other GM do the bits you find hard or don't know yet, and slowly work you way round to doing all the things. You won't really know what you are good at till you try. You can, later, focus on finding games that cater to your strengths.
Jan 15, 2022 3:12 pm
Wolfiedabs32 says:
Yea DdD 5e is what has lead me thru this rabbit hole of finding all if these new things but I plan on trying this at first. But I do have one question! What would you consider more (easy) I suppose? Because frankly it's kinda scary thinking of having to run the whole thing! Also this is a case of me not read properly when I didn't have enough sleep because I didn't know this was the GM Mentor thread but I might as well embrace it while i'm here.
GMing and playing are very similar and very different. As the GM, you get to set the scenarios, shape the story that your players help you tell, but with that creative power comes the responsibility of depicting all of the scenes and non-player characters.

As a player, you are only responsible for your character, and engaging with the other player characters and the scene the GM paints. With that lessened responsibility, you have the time and continuity to really explore that one character, breath life into them through hopes and desires.
Jan 15, 2022 11:04 pm
Qralloq says:
]

GMing and playing are very similar and very different. As the GM, you get to set the scenarios, shape the story that your players help you tell, but with that creative power comes the responsibility of depicting all of the scenes and non-player characters.

As a player, you are only responsible for your character, and engaging with the other player characters and the scene the GM paints. With that lessened responsibility, you have the time and continuity to really explore that one character, breath life into them through hopes and desires.
I have stood by and read some adventures groups go on, on this other app and the GM's are always so good with knowing how to set the woodworks of the world. But it was my bad I didn't read it properly, I might work on how to play as a character first before I try to learn how to GM.
Jan 20, 2022 5:41 pm
Hextml (a hex mapping tool) added to the list of Helpful Resources for GMs Old & New included in the original post.
Jan 24, 2022 10:33 am
I thought of sharing this one here; Wombo art

Essentially, this is an AI painter. You type in words, select a style and there it goes. You might want to give it a few tries with the same words to find something that would be interesting, but it's a fun thingy. Not really suitable for depicting people, but fair enough for scenery.

Here's an example: (the words used are haunted cemetery in etching style.)
https://i.imgur.com/90CJx7N.jpg
Jan 24, 2022 1:46 pm
That's amazing! And addictive!
Jan 24, 2022 2:35 pm
that is so cool!
Jan 24, 2022 3:45 pm
Wow, very cool!
Jan 25, 2022 8:07 am
That is going to be fun to play with. Thanks for sharing the link!

There is another art website/app that I like a lot that I haven't seen mentioned on GP anywhere, and that is artbreeder. It takes multiple images and combines them in interesting ways. There are maybe 25 or 30 parameters that you can fiddle with to tweak the results a little. Although, sometimes it is difficult (for me, anyway) to predict how the image will change. I've used it to make a few character portraits and I imagine that it could be used for landscapes, too, but I haven't tried yet.
Feb 8, 2022 2:58 pm
D&D 5e Jump Calculator is so good! Hat tip to @Ezz who put it on my radar.
Feb 21, 2022 9:32 am
Belatedly edited the list of Helpful Resources for GMs Old & New in the OP to include some very important links:

Guide: GMing on Gamers' Plane by @Adam
• Qralloqian Lore—Gamers' Plane Tips & Tricks (episode list) by @Qralloq
Jan 28, 2023 9:15 pm
This is awesome. I'm interested in being a learner GM, if this is something that's still active. I'm on the Discord, as well. Looking to improve at all aspects of GMing, and I mainly run OSR-style games (plus DCC).
Feb 1, 2023 10:15 am
I would like to get better at pacing and organising, understanding how much detail to get from the players and when to stop! I understand that I'm into pbta for its simplicity and narrative focus.
Feb 2, 2023 3:05 am
DocFleg says:
This is awesome. I'm interested in being a learner GM, if this is something that's still active. I'm on the Discord, as well. Looking to improve at all aspects of GMing, and I mainly run OSR-style games (plus DCC).
One immediate thing comes to mind... have you played in many games? One of the keys to becoming a better GM, in my opinion, is playing a bunch. Observe and note the habits and skills you like, as well as where you want to do things differently, and why. Also, if you haven't listened to the GM Mastermind podcast episode Become a Better GM, Consider This yet, I'd check it out. Some decent ideas in there, perhaps except mine. :)

You do not have permission to post in this thread.