GM Mentoring Project

load previous
Sep 6, 2019 6:51 pm
I didn't pass on two...i just don't have much to say on it.
Sep 6, 2019 6:53 pm
but okey...*looks at dnd* thats not one that i could fully enthusiastic for as a gm. Unless i did something WAY out of the norm, just because the theme kinda bores me a little.
Sep 6, 2019 7:00 pm
Melanqolia, is it fair to say that you're more interesting in social conflicts and RP than in bookkeeping?
Sep 6, 2019 7:03 pm
Interesting and unique rp would always be a plus, especially if characters differ in approaches. I'm not really sure what i like as i have...barely played...I have a broad range of interests.
Sep 6, 2019 7:13 pm
It might be more useful to try a broad range of games as a player, just to help you figure out what kinds of elements you like and don't like.
Sep 6, 2019 7:15 pm
I am, kinda, they just haven't all kicked off yet.
Currently got:
Lancer
Call of Cthulu
DnD5E
Shadowrun
Starfinder
Vampire the Masquerade
Sep 6, 2019 7:19 pm
All games can do everything, it's up to the GM and players to agree upon a style and stick with it. But some systems lend themselves to styles of play better than others. Vampire makes combat dangerous so encourages political solutions. D&D rewards combat with experience, so encourages violent solutions.
Sep 6, 2019 7:36 pm
oh, that's good to think about
Sep 6, 2019 10:04 pm
The best advice I could give would mirror Moonbeam's: try as many different types of systems as you can. Try games meant for combat, games meant for social drama, games with horror and insanity consequences, games with intriguing magic systems, d20 games, d6 games, dice pool games, fate dice games, those crazy star wars ffg dice... try a bunch and see what you like.

Then figure out what kind of world you want to play in, and what kind of stories you want to communally tell. That can help you narrow down the system you want to use pretty quick.

Do you want to roleplay the political tension of noble houses trying to out maneuver each other in a bid for the throne? Sure, you can play it in any system, but some systems are designed specifically for that style of play (A Song of Ice and Fire RPG springs to mind) while others might not have as detailed rules for every type of conflict. Your system has to have the right moving parts. You could play all that political maneuvering in 5e, but the single roll social conflict resolution might be unsatisfactory.
Sep 6, 2019 10:06 pm
Thanks for the advice! I'm trying!
Sep 8, 2019 8:11 pm
I might have an idea.
Sep 8, 2019 8:18 pm
For 5e, or maybe Pathfinder
Sep 9, 2019 5:34 pm
Improved my hook thanks to advice
[ +- ] Hook
Sep 10, 2019 10:25 am
Not to throw the curve ball, but what about Cypher System, GeneSys, or Savage Worlds? If you're not feeling Fantasy after a few sessions you can reboot into a different genre with a new game/premise or possibly just shift the characters, I may be reading too many isekai light novels though...
Sep 10, 2019 11:41 am
But...i don't know those systems and I'd rather dm a system I have experience with and have read cover to cover multiple times already.
Sep 10, 2019 1:02 pm
That's what I'd suggest first, is to get really good at one game first. You don't need to read anything cover-to-cover, though. Once you know a game quite well, you can sometimes see what you'd like to improve. The easiest way to do that is pick a game lots of people know and have perspective on. D&D is a great start, and you'll get lots of support in this community.
Another game I'm really liking is ICRPG, which is really stripped down to core elements. I'm not used to it's versatility quite yet.
Sep 10, 2019 1:06 pm
Thanks for the advice
Sep 11, 2019 11:06 pm
Ahhhh, after that hook and the advice I got, I feel a little guilty but I'm gonna change to a Lancer game because I like Sci Fi more
Sep 11, 2019 11:06 pm
Ahhhh, after that hook and the advice I got, I feel a little guilty but I'm gonna change to a Lancer game because I like Sci Fi more
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.