One of the best things I've seen happen on this site is people volunteering to run with the specific intent to teach a system to new players.
I consider myself somewhat of a veteran player. I've been playing D&D for more than 30 years (and numerous other systems for several years thanks in part to Gamers' Plane) but never have I DM'd.
Here's an idea I've been mulling over since November: What if we set up some games for newbie GM's? I was considering setting this up the same way @Naatkinson has set up D&D 5e Boot Camp, where it's one "game" but it's really set up as a bunch of separate groups. Each group would be an adventure being run by a newbie DM, possibly with one or several veterans as co-GM's.
Currently I have this setup with the working title "First Foray" through which I've just started running my very first D&D game, mentored by @Naatkinson, @CancerMan, @HypCo, @DMJ, and @Lenpelletier and I must say I am already learning A LOT! I think it would be a good idea to eventually set the forums to Public so people who would like to "watch and learn" without necessarily participating can subscribe to it if they wish.
1. Is anyone interested in signing up as either a learner GM or as a mentor?
2. My idea is to have this wide open in terms of game system (one "learner" could be learning to DM D&D 5e, another learner could be practicing to GM Numenera or what have you). Do you think that's a good idea?
I'm open to any and all suggestions!
Based on everyone's input it looks like the best way to go is to set up your own games, using this thread as a place for Mentors and Learners to come together.
The GM Mentoring Project now has its own Discord channel on the GamersPlane server! Hope to see you there!
I've set up these lists which I'll try to keep up-to-date:
[ +- ] Mentor GMs accepting Learner GMs• Dramasailor: D&D 5e, Pathfinder
• Remnant:Dungeon World, Masks, Urban Shadows, Savage Worlds (pick your setting), GeneSys, Cypher
• emsquared:FFGs Star Wars system (Edge of the Empire, Age of Rebellion, Force & Destiny)
• Phil_Ozzy_Fer: Pathfinder 1st Ed, 13th Age
• CaveJohnson: D&D, Dungeon World
• Qralloq:numerous systems
• thatguy2: Pendragon
• Santouche: Call of Cthulhu
• mcinnis138: D&D 5e, Vampire the Masquerade (OWoD and 5e), and FFG Star Wars.
• WhtKnt: Any flavor of D&D, Pathfinder 1E, Savage Worlds, Traveller, Mutants & Masterminds 3E, d20 Modern, Dungeon Crawl Classics, Mutant Crawl Classics, Mighty Protectors/Villains & Vigilantes 3E, Villains & Vigilantes 2.1, and a vast array of older systems.
Also Gamma World, Alternity, Traveller, and to a lesser degree, GURPS and Mutants & Masterminds.
And Star Wars d6, Elfquest, Call of Cthulhu, Rolemaster, HARP, FASA, Star Trek, LUG Trek, Star Frontiers, Mighty Protectors, MERP (Middle Earth Role-Playing), Marvel Super-Heroes (FASERIP), Warhammer FRP, James Bond 007, Top Secret, Spycraft 2.0 (1.0 is basically d20), Legend of the Five Rings, Big Eyes, Small Mouth, DC Heroes (MEGS)
• Rezart: PbtA
• Harrigan: FATE, The Black Hack, many OSR games, Tiny Dungeon, Forbidden Lands, Vaesen, Barbarians of Lemuria, Mothership, Shadow of the Demon Lord, Mork Borg.
• bowlofspinach: System-agnostic (How do you set up a good game forum? How do you set a scene? When should you end a scene and move to the next? etc.)
• Falconloft: 13th Age
• unmbraldragon: How to run successful PbP games; numerous systems, including Call of Cthulhu, D100 games, Open Quest, Mythras, M-Space, Odd Soot, RuneQuest, Legend, Age of Shadow, etc. D&D - B/X, 1E, 2E, 3.5E, 5E, 5E, Hardcore OSR - Old School Essentials, Lion & Dragon, Dark Albion, Dungeon Crawl Classics, Mutant Crawl Classics, All versions of Gamma World, Earthdawn, Fading Suns, Alternity, Warhammer Fantasy, Knave, Gamma K, Cairn (not the furry version), Open D6, Mini D6, AGE system (Dragon Age, Fantasy Age, Lazarus, Modern Age, Expanse, Titan's Age).
• vagueGM: Dungeon World (PbtA), World of Dungeon (WoDu), Powered by the Apocalypse (PbtA)
• witchdoctor: GURPS, DC Heroes (MEGS), Ars Magica, Call of Cthulhu, Shadowrun (may have to brush up on later editions), PbtA
• Shark_Bone:numerous systems (inactive)
• SaucyWaffle:numerous systems (inactive)
• WarDomo:D&D 5e and Exalted And World of Darkness games (primarily Vampire) (inactive)
• marithyme: D&D 5E (inactive)
• Tsavo: D&D 5E (inactive)
[ +- ] Learners seeking Mentors• thatguy2: FATE & Burning Wheel
• Jackwolfking: Savage Worlds, L5R
• PixE: seeks co-GM for Shadowrun and also seeks co-GM for Uprising via Fate Core.
• theatreofcomets: PbtA
• Skallagrimm: seeks D&D co-GM to help him with the tech side of things.
• Antiproduct: D&D 5E (found mentors, no longer looking)
• Jabes.plays.RPG: D&D 5E (found mentors, no longer looking)
• Moofsalot: Dungeon World (found a mentor, no longer looking)
• Filthy_Casual: D&D 5E (found mentors, no longer looking)
• WarDomo: Fate (inactive)
• Koszul: Call of Cthulhu, Numenera, Star Wars FFG (Edge of the Empire) (inactive)
[ +- ] Willing Test Subjects/Guinea Pigs/Crash Test Dummies
[ +- ] Ongoing GM Mentoring Games• "Savage Worlds Mentoring" (Savage Worlds)
Mentors: Remnant, WhtKnt
Learner GM: Jackwolfking
Learner player: mormegil
• "First Foray" (D&D 5e)(on hiatus)
Mentors: Naatkinson, CancerMan, HypCo, DMJ, lenpelletier
Learner GM: Jabes.plays.RPG
• "Savage Training Wheels" (Savage Worlds)
LFG/P thread: link
Learner GM: Phil_Ozzy_Fer
• "Dungeon World Builder" (Dungeon World)
Learner GM: Moofsalot
Guinea Pigs: Jabes.plays.RPG, CaveJohnson, Phil_Ozzy_Fer, Greenvoid
• On The Backs of Turtles (D&D 5e)
Learner GM: Filthy_Casual
Mentors & participants: marithyme, CaveJohnson, eldritchblast90, CancerMan, Qralloq
• BWG Tutorial Game (Burning Wheel)
Mentors & participants: emsquared, GreenDice, OMG_Gypsy
• Lancer (First Game) (Lancer)
Mentors & participants: Qralloq, Yamazaki, Windyridge, DarkReaver1998
• Storytelling 101
[ +- ] Helpful Resources for GMs Old & New• Massive DM's Toolkit - Online Resources
• The Complete Hippo - DM resources
• A Helpful Guide for DM's Running Theater of the Mind Combat
• Running a Game Without Miniatures
• Music for your games
• Kalajel's Resources & Free Games
• Building Encounters in 5th Edition Dungeons & Dragons
• Cruvis' Top 10 PbP Refereeing Tips
• The Adventure Funnel
• Tools for New D&D Dungeon Masters
• D&D 5E House Rules Compendium
• The Phrontistery - For every GM trying to find a cool, rare word for something
• Handy graphical cheat sheet for D&D 5E
• A D&D 5e magic item generator created by our very own @lenpelletier
• Sly Flourish: Best practices in dealing with game-breaking spells.
• The Alexandrian
• DM Muse (Every Dungeon Master Needs a Muse)
• 5e Inspiration: a DM app
• Token Stamp - online tool for creating map tokens.
• TokenTool - an offline option for creating map tokens.
• The Monsters Know What They’re Doing - run your monsters like actual creatures and not just stat blocks!
• 5 Room Dungeons - a handy framework for adventure design.
• Hexroll - This is an impressively detailed hexcrawl/sandbox generator.