GM Mentoring Project

load previous
Jul 5, 2021 2:21 pm
WhtKnt says:
I just wanted to point out that the majority of my games are open (that is, the public can follow along) and lurkers are welcome. If you have any questions about how or why I did something, feel free to shoot me a PM.

Into the Borderlands (D&D 5e)
AD&D Mega Campaign (AD&D 1e)
Life's a Beach (Dungeon Crawl Classics)
Fade to Black (Traveller)
In Search of Adventure (D&D B/X)
Thanks, @WhtKnt!

Yes, reading public game threads is a great way to familiarize oneself with rulesets you may be unfamiliar with, how GP works, as well as different players' and GMs' playstyles.

Don't forget to the official Index of Public Games which I believe is updated regularly.
Jul 5, 2021 2:22 pm
Rezart says:
I would be willing to help people with a PbtA system game, if you are still looking for volunteers. Probably focusing on something like Masks or Monster of the Week, since those are really popular examples of the system in PbP. I'm new to this site, but I have a lot of experience with PbtA in PbP other places.
Thanks, @Rezart! I have added you to my original post under "Learners seeking Mentors." Are you currently running any PbtA?
Jul 5, 2021 2:35 pm
Harrigan says:
And well, I just noticed I've responded to something ancient. Tripped up by the 'latest post' being one I hadn't read from ages ago.

Ignore me!
Well, the thread was left untended while I was on hiatus. Some renewed efforts were made towards the same goal (here and here) but I do intend to keep this thread going. And don't forget to check out the Discord channel that this thread spawned: #gm_mentoring_project
Harrigan says:
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
Any GMs out there want to share their best practices for keeping their players engaged while the GM is either tied up IRL or struggling with writer's block? Obviously, you post something in OOC. But soon it's been a few days, but you're still indisposed and they're still waiting on you. You could post another OOC apology, but I'm sure you guys can suggest better alternatives.
Kind of depends on where you are in the game. Clear OOC communication is always welcome, but I would also say if you're not right in the middle of something, let the players author some scenes. Together, solo, etc. Day in the life type stuff, connections they've been wanting to make, etc.

If you're right in the middle of things, flashbacks can work too -- give the PCs latitude to recall when they last saw these kinds of circumstances, etc... but not everyone digs that kind of thing, I suppose.
Thanks, @Harrigan! Good stuff! I love handing the players the reins. It always results in something cool, and often takes the story in interesting new directions.
Jul 5, 2021 5:59 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
Rezart says:
I would be willing to help people with a PbtA system game, if you are still looking for volunteers. Probably focusing on something like Masks or Monster of the Week, since those are really popular examples of the system in PbP. I'm new to this site, but I have a lot of experience with PbtA in PbP other places.
Thanks, @Rezart! I have added you to my original post under "Learners seeking Mentors." Are you currently running any PbtA?
I am, but in other locations, not on GP. I did try to organize one game on here, but it didn't go great. I think it's a fantastic system, and I'd like to get more people into it.
Jul 5, 2021 6:52 pm
Which flavor of PbtA specifically? I love Dungeon World! I've attempted to GM it a few times but I'd love to see how someone with more experience runs it.

I'd love to try to play Apocalypse World but opportunities have been rare.
Jul 5, 2021 7:09 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
Which flavor of PbtA specifically? I love Dungeon World! I've attempted to GM it a few times but I'd love to see how someone with more experience runs it.

I would also like to play in an Apocalypse World game.
Jul 5, 2021 8:06 pm
Quote:

I'm running a Masks game right now through Discord. I've run several Dungeon World and Monster of the Week games through another site. I'm interested in getting familiar with the set up on here
Quote:
I would also like to play in an Apocalypse World game.
I might run a game on here in the future, but I'm trying to get a feel for the community first; it didn't feel quite right the first time around. I very much support and want to help with the idea of getting more people to GM more games.
Last edited July 5, 2021 8:06 pm
Jul 6, 2021 9:11 pm
LF mentor, dnd 5e, voice chat can be an option, after appointment due to timezone and stuffs. Pm me.
Yeah, I'm doing it mmorpg style recruitment
Jul 7, 2021 11:06 am
Thanks, @Antiproduct. I've added you to the list. If you haven't yet, might be worthwhile to also post on #gm-mentoring-project.
Jul 7, 2021 1:25 pm
Did that, thanks. Qralloq stepped up for it if no-one else can but I know he has a busy schedule. So you might as well leave it as is for a bit.
Jul 7, 2021 4:10 pm
I can throw in for mentoring the following: Fate, The Black Hack, many OSR games, Tiny Dungeon, Forbidden Lands, Vaesen, Barbarians of Lemuria, Mothership, Shadow of the Demon Lord, Mork Borg.
Last edited July 7, 2021 4:17 pm
Jul 7, 2021 4:12 pm
I'm definitely up for Mentoring. There are a bunch of systems I can lend some help with mechanically but my focus would be more on the system-agnostic side.
How do you set up a good game forum? How do you set a scene? When should you end a scene and move to the next?
That kind of stuff.
Jul 7, 2021 4:25 pm
Awesome! Added you two to the list. Thanks!
Jul 7, 2021 5:03 pm
I'm open for mentoring for 13th Age and can pretty much always (within limits) either start a new game or add a player to an existing game.
Jul 7, 2021 5:20 pm
Added. I actually all this time thought you were on that list already!
Jul 7, 2021 5:35 pm
I'm pretty familiar with any flavor of Dungeons & Dragons, Gamma World, Alternity, Traveller, Villains & Vigilantes, Mighty Protectors, Pathfinder, Savage Worlds and to a lesser degree, GURPS and Mutants & Masterminds. I'm gradually learning FATE and the new Twilight 2000. Feel free to add me to the list.
Jul 7, 2021 5:39 pm
Some possible Learner-Mentor pair ups! This is just based on posts to this thread. Unfortunately I can't be monitoring #gm-monitoring-project all the time.

Learner seeking Mentor: • thatguy2: FATE & Burning Wheel
Possible Mentor: • Harrigan: FATE

Learner seeking Mentor: • Koszul: Call of Cthulhu, Numenera, Star Wars FFG (Edge of the Empire)
Possible Mentors:
• Santouche: Call of Cthulhu
• emsquared: FFG Star Wars system (Edge of the Empire, Age of Rebellion, Force & Destiny)
• mcinnis138: FFG Star Wars.

Learner seeking Mentor: • Jackwolfking: Savage Worlds, L5R
Possible Mentors:
• Remnant:Savage Worlds (pick your setting)
• WhtKnt: Savage Worlds

Learner seeking Mentor: • Antiproduct: D&D 5E
Possible Mentors:
• Dramasailor: D&D 5e
• mcinnis138: D&D 5e
• WhtKnt: D&D 5E
Jul 7, 2021 5:53 pm
Guess I'll start something.
Jul 7, 2021 7:00 pm
Apologies to Santouche, emsquared, and mcinnis138. I missed that Koszul has been inactive 1 month.
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
Learner seeking Mentor: • Koszul: Call of Cthulhu, Numenera, Star Wars FFG (Edge of the Empire)
Possible Mentors:
• Santouche: Call of Cthulhu
• emsquared: FFG Star Wars system (Edge of the Empire, Age of Rebellion, Force & Destiny)
• mcinnis138: FFG Star Wars.
Jul 13, 2021 4:24 pm
I am available for mentoring in these areas:
how to run successful play by post games (I have two games that have been running for over 6 months, one for over a year and one for over 2 years)
Plot Hooks
Player Development
Story Development
Immersion
Engagement
Dialogue
Setting
Theme
OK, what I mean is the story and writing elements of any game. Monsters are more than stats, so are characters, so are places and NPCs.

Games I can show you the mechanics on:
Call of Cthulhu, D100 games, Open Quest, Mythras, M-Space, Odd Soot, RuneQuest, Legend, Age of Shadow, etc.
D&D - B/X, 1E, 2E, 3.5E, 5E, 5E Hardcore
OSR - Old School Essentials, Lion & Dragon, Dark Albion, Dungeon Crawl Classics, Mutant Crawl Classics
All versions of Gamma World
Earthdawn, Fading Suns
Alternity
Warhammer Fantasy
Knave, Gamma K
Cairn - not the furry version. It has the same name but is entirely different.
Open D6, Mini D6
AGE system (Dragon Age, Fantasy Age, Lazarus, Modern Age, Expanse, Titan's Age)

...and others, if interested, ask me and I will tell you if I've any experience it. (amazing engine, monsters and magic, inquisitor, star frontiers, Numenera, World of darkness, under ground, swords and wizardry, lamentations of the flame princess, mjork borg, vow of honor, world of dew, trinity, tribe 8, talislanta, the one ring, middle earth roleplaying, rolemaster, HARP, nephilim, mutant chronicles, and more)

Except Powered by the Apocalypse games which I despise - it's personal, please don't be offended, if you like these games, by all means play on.

Never played Traveller, Star Trek, Paranoia due to disinterest, or Elfquest, or Gurps for the same reasons. I have tried to like these game systems, but it isn't for me.

I can only take one padawan at a time.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.