GM Mentoring Project

load previous
Aug 3, 2018 10:27 am
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
Thanks, Tsavo! IS that as mentor or as guinea pig (or both)?
Not sure I'm completely clear on the distinction. I have experience DMing and am willing to play in a rookie DM's game and give constructive feedback and help where, when, and how I can.

I'm much less experienced in running games here than in real life, but am happy to help how I can. Is that mentor or guinea pig? I thought mentor, but I figured it means being a test subject in an experiment which sounds piggish to me. So...

I don't have the time in my real life at the moment to DM unfortunately. I love doing it, however, so I figured I'd help others discover the joy for themselves. This is a GREAT idea, by the way. Well done!
Aug 3, 2018 12:27 pm
The only reason there's even a distinction is because I imagine the term "mentor" might intimidate and drive away some folks who would have participated otherwise. Even a newish player can be a guinea pig, but a certain level of experience as a DM is expected of a mentor. Does that make sense? I'm putting you on the list for both. :-) Thanks for the support!
Aug 3, 2018 12:53 pm
I think the distinction is this:

Guinea Pigs are just there to experience the game being run by a new GM with little expectation besides simply playing the game

Mentors are expected to be able to give feedback, advice, and guidance to the GM.
Aug 3, 2018 1:15 pm
Naatkinson says:
I think the distinction is this:

Guinea Pigs are just there to experience the game being run by a new GM with little expectation besides simply playing the game

Mentors are expected to be able to give feedback, advice, and guidance to the GM.
Correct. A newbie DM's gotta have players!
Aug 3, 2018 2:28 pm
Awesome. Happy to serve as either.
Aug 6, 2018 3:49 pm
I'd love to learn FATE and more Burning Wheel. I can help teach Pendragon
Last edited August 6, 2018 3:49 pm
Aug 6, 2018 4:04 pm
Thatguy, I could talk Burning Wheel with you. I wouldn't want to commit to a full on active game, but we could start up a "tutorial" game and focus on talking theory and mechanics?

I'd be down for that right now.
Aug 6, 2018 4:22 pm
I am totally cool with that
Aug 6, 2018 5:03 pm
Ran across this and thought some new (and even experienced) DMs could benefit from it. At worst, it's an enjoyable listen/watch.

Let's build an adventure

Matthew Colville does it again. Love this guy!
Aug 7, 2018 2:42 am
Thanks, Tsavo! Matt Colville always has some great stuff for both new and experienced DM's!

@thatguy2 I've put you on the list as learner seeking a FATE mentor, and as someone who can teach Pendragon. (see here)

I've added the BWG Tutorial game to this thread's original post.
Aug 15, 2018 4:54 am
I’d love to toss my hat in ring for being a test subject.
Especially for things like Pendragon, L5R & IK:RPG
Aug 15, 2018 5:18 am
Added you to the list, MattParody! Thanks!
Aug 26, 2018 7:09 pm
I'd mentor anyone who wanted to try running CoC. I don't know how much interest there is for that, but seems like there's a decent amount of interest in playing CoC, so if it would encourage anyone to try running their own game I'd be happy to volunteer.
Aug 26, 2018 7:35 pm
I've added you to the list, Santouche! Thanks!
Last edited August 26, 2018 7:36 pm
Oct 9, 2018 4:11 pm
There has been some very interesting discussion on the Discord channel pertaining to gridded combat versus theater of the mind (TOTM) in play-by-post. Both methods have their strengths and shortcomings, of course, but I am sharing here two very helpful links that were shared by @lenpelletier and @naatkinson:

A Helpful Guide for DM's Running Theater of the Mind Combat
Running a Game Without Miniatures

I have also added both links to the first post in the "Helpful Resources for GM's Old & New" spoiler.

What are your thoughts on battlegrids vs. TOTM in PbP? Any best practices you would like to share?
Last edited October 10, 2018 3:22 pm
Oct 9, 2018 4:27 pm
IRL i've used Totm because its quicker and "easier" to manage and makes the game go "smoother," but i have a slight problem for describing things (which i've been working on because of the pbp also :) )

On here it seems a bit more useful to have some sort of map thing. sketch, map, grid, gsheet, whatever.. for the "Where am i cause we havnt' posted in a while or whatever"
Nov 2, 2018 3:12 am
I'm happy to mentor someone, and I have a varied experience list.

Games:
D&D 3.0, 3.5, or 5th
FATE or FAE
Marvel TSR (Old FASERIP System, completely free online)
Mouse Guard
White Wolf OWD
d20 Modern
Star Wars d20
Deadlands
Savage Worlds

Take some brushing up.... but BESM
Nov 2, 2018 3:13 am
Santouche says:
I'd mentor anyone who wanted to try running CoC. I don't know how much interest there is for that, but seems like there's a decent amount of interest in playing CoC, so if it would encourage anyone to try running their own game I'd be happy to volunteer.
If you decide to do this, I'd love a brush up on simply PLAYING CoC. So, if you find a couple people to mentor or even just one but need players, please let me know.
Nov 2, 2018 3:25 am
Simkin says:
If you decide to do this, I'd love a brush up on simply PLAYING CoC. So, if you find a couple people to mentor or even just one but need players, please let me know.
Sure thing! I'm also running a couple CoC games myself at the moment (well one CoC and one Delta Green, which is like CoC in the present day with government conspiracy etc) and I don't think either of them need new players currently, but I'd be happy to reach out when the time comes to either inject new blood or start up a new game.
Nov 2, 2018 3:26 am
Santouche says:
Simkin says:
Sure thing! I'm also running a couple CoC games myself at the moment (well one CoC and one Delta Green, which is like CoC in the present day with government conspiracy etc) and I don't think either of them need new players currently, but I'd be happy to reach out when the time comes to either inject new blood or start up a new game.
Deal and done. Keep me in mind, I intend to be a long-term player here!
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.