GM Mentoring Project

load previous
Mar 14, 2018 1:46 pm
I've got plenty on my list.

That brings up something worth stating, we don't need system experts, necessarily. It's GM mentoring, not rules-lawyer mentoring. So doubling up on games is a good thing as I might bring something to Gming a game that SauvyWaffle doesn't just like they'll bring something I don't. So, if someone wants to mentor, they shouldn't feel like they can't because someone else has listed the game they want to mentor.

Even new GMs should feel free to mentor if they feel the urge! We all have something to teach.
Mar 14, 2018 1:51 pm
As if my "to-do" list isn't long enough, I'll start considering what I can do to help make this a feature. Like with the West Marshes thing, maybe once it gets going, I can talk to people working on it to figure out what I can do to make it easier.
Mar 14, 2018 2:15 pm
My Dm'ing experience and expertiese is actually derived from playing in many games, granted PbP is genereally slower then live but its like in leadership, you take a bit of what you like from this DM/GM and put that in your toolbox etc... then you just make everything else up as you go along. I'm more of an in person teacher cause then someone would take the letter of the law vs. the intent of the law or RaW vs. RaI.
Mar 14, 2018 2:46 pm
I'd add it's mentoring how Mentor GMs might be different than how I end up GMing and vice versa it's mentoring not teaching really, styles and ideas varying but gives you something to build off of. Not everyone wants a goat in their game that turns into a meta content delivery system or how clues are revealed (personally I think it's awesome).
Mar 14, 2018 3:23 pm
Wow, I'm loving all your responses! I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this is a good idea. I've edited my original post to include a listing of Learners, Mentors, and ongoing learning games.
Mar 14, 2018 3:28 pm
you can put me down as most any of the D&D, i've played a bit of dungeon world. i still havn't gotten the hang of it but its cool.
Mar 14, 2018 3:56 pm
As Learner or as Mentor?
Mar 14, 2018 3:58 pm
Well theres always learing to happen but i can teach.
I'm always down to learn/play in different systems.
Mar 14, 2018 4:22 pm
Done! Thanks! :-)

Now we've got plenty of Mentors signed up, but only Moofsalot is signed up as Learner. When I feel like my headspace can take it I'll definitely want to get some mentoring running other systems (Dungeon World's at the top of this list).

Some ideas for implementing a GM Mentoring Game:
1. Learner will GM. Mentors will play.
2. Learner will GM. Mentor/s will co-GM. Players could be Mentors, or willing test subjects.
3. Two or more Learners will co-GM. Mentors play.
4. Mix and match any of the above.
I think it's really up to whatever the group decides. Whatever the Learner will be most comfortable with or find most helpful.
Last edited March 14, 2018 7:23 pm
Mar 14, 2018 4:27 pm
@Jabes
Someone say Dungeon World? Do you have time for the DW mentoring now? How's your villain cackle?
Mar 14, 2018 5:17 pm
I would like to try DW again with mentors. Maybe having several people to guide me will help, as I often get stuck on what sort of actions to give players when they help "fill in the blanks". To me it's always felt like improv, which I'm normally terrible at.
Mar 14, 2018 5:39 pm
Moofsalot says:
I would like to try DW again with mentors. Maybe having several people to guide me will help, as I often get stuck on what sort of actions to give players when they help "fill in the blanks". To me it's always felt like improv, which I'm normally terrible at.
Challenge accepted for Dungeon World

For Dungeon World, when in doubt beg, borrow, and steal. As long as you're not getting paid no one needs to know you're using the Korean drama episode you just watched as adventure content.
Mar 14, 2018 6:29 pm
For a list of games in which I would participate as a Mentor, I'd include:
- Vampire: The Masquerade
- Changeling: The Lost
- D&D 3.5, Pathfinder, 5e
- The Strange/Numenera/Cypher System
- Symbaroum
- Feng Shui, Feng Shui 2
Mar 14, 2018 11:25 pm
I've added a third category of participant: in addition to Learners and Mentors we are now accepting Willing Test Subjects/Guinea Pigs/Crash Test Dummies! :-D
Mar 14, 2018 11:46 pm
Woo!

My list to mentor is:

* Burning Wheel Gold
* Mouse Guard 2e
* New World of Darkness 1e (mortals & Hunter)
* Shadow of the Demon Lord
* Call of Cthulhu 7e

Not a huge list, but I'm passionate about those games and know them pretty well.
Mar 15, 2018 12:12 am
@Jabes There is a link error in the first post to my list of games. To shorten it, you could just put Vampire: the Masquerade, Changeling: the Lost, The Strange/Numenera/Cypher System... The others are obscure albeit awesome.
Mar 15, 2018 12:34 am
Fixed! Sorry 'bout that! :-)
Mar 15, 2018 1:44 am
I am interested in mentoring and being mentored and just being a test subject.

I feel confident in mentoring for D&D 5e and Exalted And World of Darkness games (primarily Vampire)

I would very much like some help with Fate.

I would be happy to play anything and give constructive feedback on GMing in general. I'm just lack the rules mastery in other systems.
Mar 15, 2018 3:06 am
I'd be happy to help people with:

Pathfinder 1st Ed
13th Age

I've tried my hand at other games, but these two are what I'd be most comfortable teaching. Pathfinder is the game I probably know best, and 13th Age is a game I just really like.

As far as learning, I'd love to learn Savage Worlds and some WoD
Mar 15, 2018 10:25 pm
If anyone wants to learn DW, I have plenty of experience from the player side. Come join the party! If y’all are patient with me, I can do the same.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.