GM Mentoring Project

load previous
Jun 21, 2019 9:06 am
Thank you, @mcinnis138! I have added you to the list of "Mentors accepting learners" in the original post. I also hope you'll join the discussion at the Discord channel. Thanks again!
Jun 21, 2019 9:23 am
Thanks, Jabes.plays.RPG!
Jul 12, 2019 4:30 pm
i mean its not completely wrong...
Jul 12, 2019 4:33 pm
I think the bottom photo is far too in depth...
Jul 12, 2019 5:28 pm
Kubby87 says:
I think the bottom photo is far too in depth...
"Dragons?" Should be at least scribbled out
Jul 25, 2019 2:12 pm
Hi guys!

It seems that a couple of players still haven't dropped from my short first run ;)
I'm planning on expanding the adventure and I was wondering if there is anyone free for some long-term, but low intensity, story mentoring! My idea is to stay with published materials for the moment, so it would be mostly checking ideas and making sure things fit together (and getting some feedback on how the game is going) :D
Jul 25, 2019 4:48 pm
It's an interesting set of rules that be.
Sep 5, 2019 7:46 pm
I'd be interested in being a gm.
Sep 5, 2019 7:56 pm
What system would you like to try first? There are many possible mentors, but not all mentors are comfortable mentoring in any system.
Sep 5, 2019 8:02 pm
unknown...although, since I'm already looking through the rulebooks for games I'm playing in, either Call of Cthulu or Vampire the Masquerade? I'm not touching Shadowrun with a 10ft pole because of how dense it is though the theme is AMAZING. Also, maybe dnd5e or pathfinder though fantasy isn't always my shtick
Sep 6, 2019 4:25 pm
Probably Vampire
Sep 6, 2019 4:25 pm
The lore is cool as well
Sep 6, 2019 5:01 pm
Vampire is one of those games where most of the violence is social. It's a lethal system and you can't gauge your opponents strengths, so caution is warranted. This uncertainty is very apparent in gameplay by those familiar.
Sep 6, 2019 5:05 pm
so many things to consider...choosing a system is hard (but good practice for the choices to come)
Sep 6, 2019 6:26 pm
Does anyone have advice for systems?
Sep 6, 2019 6:33 pm
To answer a question with a question, consider the following questions:
- do you like tactical considerations, where you and the players manage resources in intricate dance of resource management?
- do you feel drawn to interpersonal conflict and resolution?
- would you prefer to enabling a tone of mystery and magic?
Sep 6, 2019 6:37 pm
Number 1: yes, of course. A lack of/ low amount of resources is amazing to watch people plan around and foster creative solutions.
Number 2: yeah, people getting along all the time is boring.
Number 3: possibly...working things out is cool but I'd have to write a convincing mystery. Magic can be cool but it isn't a priority.
Sep 6, 2019 6:47 pm
Really crunchy games, like Shadowrun, thrive on resource management. Character creation itself is hard choices of 'if I do X, I can't be good at Y'. These choices are meaningful in part because there are so many many choices and ways to do things.

Your passing on 2 and 3 really tell me that you're looking for probably combat-based conflicts using a system with sound tactical handling of conflict. You'd probably be good to start with a tactical fantasy game, such as D&D (easier) or Shadowrun (more difficult). There is are modern day variants of D&D if you want to pass on crazy magic hijinx.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.