Warhammer FRP
James Bond 007
Top Secret
Spycraft 2.0 (1.0 is basically d20)
d20 Modern
Legend of the Five Rings
Big Eyes, Small Mouth
DC Heroes (MEGS)

I won't claim to be as skilled as umbraldragon at GMing, but I've been playing RPGs for 42 years and have been running PbP games since the late 90s (via listserves).
Jul 14, 2021 7:11 am
Thank you, @umbraldragon and @WhtKnt (again!). I've updated the original post (quoted below) to include your input. Wow, we've got a LOT of systems covered! Thanks again!
Quote:
[ +- ] Mentors accepting Learners
[ +- ] Learners seeking Mentors
[ +- ] Willing Test Subjects/Guinea Pigs/Crash Test Dummies
[ +- ] Ongoing GM Mentoring Games
Aug 3, 2021 9:04 pm
Quote:
[ +- ] Mentors accepting Learners
[ +- ] Learners seeking Mentors
[ +- ] Willing Test Subjects/Guinea Pigs/Crash Test Dummies
[ +- ] Ongoing GM Mentoring Games
Last edited August 3, 2021 9:05 pm
Aug 7, 2021 1:10 am
May I suggest adding The Monsters Know What They’re Doing to the GM resources. I’m reading the book, but the blog site is similar content and very helpful to spice up your encounters.
Aug 7, 2021 1:46 am
Oh yes that site's been a great help to me as well! Can't believe I failed to add it! Thanks!

Added it to the original post.
Aug 8, 2021 6:20 am
Added another Mentor GM accepting Learner GMs to original post.
Quote:
• vagueGM: World of Dungeon (WoDu), Powered by the Apocalypse (PbtA)
Aug 8, 2021 6:46 am
WhtKnt says:
I am familiar enough to teach mechanics for:

Call of Cthulhu

I won't claim to be as skilled as umbraldragon at GMing, but I've been playing RPGs for 42 years and have been running PbP games since the late 90s (via listserves).
I really want to run a Shadowrun Game and I’m still trying to work out why NOBODY talks about Vampire the Masquerade lol. I have done a solo adventure of Coc but would LOVE to be mentored to run it properly if you can lend a hand?
Aug 8, 2021 7:35 am
PixE says:

I really want to run a Shadowrun Game and I’m still trying to work out why NOBODY talks about Vampire the Masquerade lol. I have done a solo adventure of Coc but would LOVE to be mentored to run it properly if you can lend a hand?
Shadowrun has a reputation as a cursed game on the site. I myself have been a player in 2 and a GM in 1 and none of the games have made it longer than a month. If you want to GM I'd be glad to apply as a player, I still have my character from the failed games lol.

As for VtM, I can only speak for myself but I find it the least interesting game in all of RPGs. Out of the thousands of rpgs, it's at the bottom of the lost lol.
Aug 8, 2021 7:41 am
nezzeraj says:
PixE says:

Shadowrun has a reputation as a cursed game on the site. I myself have been a player in 2 and a GM in 1 and none of the games have made it longer than a month. If you want to GM I'd be glad to apply as a player, I still have my character from the failed games lol.

As for VtM, I can only speak for myself but I find it the least interesting game in all of RPGs. Out of the thousands of rpgs, it's at the bottom of the lost lol.
Wow ok :-/ I don’t have much i experience as a GM apart from when I’ve directed myself……if someone could help me Co-GM a game of Shadowrun 5e then we can make it work maybe? To be honest I don’t really like long campaigns. The best games I’ve played are the ones that are short and sweet……if everyone enjoys it then you can choose to carry on like :)
Aug 8, 2021 8:09 am
Shadowrun comes with some pitfalls but that doesn't mean it can't work. Savage Worlds also has a cursed reputation on the site and I've been in a couple of successful SW games before!
Aug 8, 2021 10:19 am
I ran one Vampire: The Masquerade game for 3.5 years. I'm currently running one that's six months in and feels like it's just getting started after 500 posts. Honestly, while it's a favorite of mine to run in real life it's much harder to run in PBP and remain engaged, at least in the sandbox way I run it.

I have played in at least five V:tM games in GP and they all died after a month or so.
Aug 8, 2021 10:49 am
While Werewolf worked wonderfully well
Aug 8, 2021 11:53 am
Jabes.plays.RPG: Maybe add Dungeon World to my list of games. While it is around the bottom of the list of PbtA games I run, it is still on the list. Many people think of DW first and might be looking for that.
Aug 8, 2021 12:53 pm
Shadowrun suffers from a number of problems that plague tabletop & PbP games. One is edition fatigue. What mean by that is this: the game is in it's 6th edition, I think, and there are players that like certain editions over others and will usually only play certain editions. While this is fine with widely popular games like D&D, Shadowrun is a niche game with a scarcer player population. The other big obstacle is the varying player approaches to character design, having to shoehorn them all into an adventure together, and somehow make it work and then there's the PbP planning stage for a 'run that takes so long enough players lose interest and the game folds...
I love the setting (it was the first for me to see positive Native inclusion instead of as cannon-fodder or inconvenient obstacle) and enjoyed both playing & GM-ing it and would love to see it flourish but it's always had an aura of misfortune about it. I'd definitely support seeing it succeed on GP and would offer to help a GM mentor project for it.

V:tM always suffered from the 'herding cats' issue with characters & motivations. Tabletop games seemed to be more cohesive and the characters had on games I ran, at least on the surface, compatible and cohesive goals. I think that was due to the players knowing each other and that often isn't present in PbP player ensembles. At least with Werewolf, there's an urge towards player goal unification baked into the game lore of W:tA that helps keep players on track... The newer Chronicles of Darkness I'm not so familiar with.

Anyway, enough rambling... I'd be willing to help GM mentor a few games in familiar enough with to maybe be useful:

GURPS
DC Heroes (MEGS)
Ars Magica
Call of Cthulhu
Shadowrun (may have to brush up on later editions)
PbtA
Aug 8, 2021 2:24 pm
Edited original post:

Added PixE as seeking co-GM for Shadowrun.

Added Dungeon World to games vagueGM is willing to mentor.

Added witchdoctor to list of Mentor GMs accepting Learners for GURPS, DC Heroes (MEGS), Ars Magica, Call of Cthulhu, Shadowrun (may have to brush up on later editions), PbtA
Aug 9, 2021 10:44 am
Oh also I was looking through my stuff last night and I came across a Copy of Uprising which runs on the Fate Core System…….would love to run it and it looks fairly straightforward. Is there anyone that’d be able to help me make this a reality? In the space of a few days I’ve rediscovered what I love (and miss) about RPG’s…….I need more in my life lol
Aug 12, 2021 8:41 pm
Ack! I started a game for mentoring PbtA GMs and already have applicants... before I even have anything to say! :D

Anyway, it is still rough and ill formed, but then it is a GM's 'game' so that is appropriate. I don't know what you all want, so you will have to tell me. We can spin off personal games if need be.

GM's Round Table (PbtA) recruiting.
Aug 12, 2021 10:59 pm
I'd like to learn how to GM properly
Aug 13, 2021 1:57 am
Hi there, as mentioned on Discord (where I'm @mikeyp) I want to learn how to GM, and am most interested in PBTA games. I eventually want to run Brindlewood Bay for some friends, but keen to get experience with any PBTA games beforehand.
Last edited August 13, 2021 1:58 am
Aug 13, 2021 4:37 pm
I have been playing D&D since the 70's. Always in the Forgotten Realms. But I'm an old-school book nerd. PBP presents a lot of technical challenges for me. I'm useless with maps for example, and usually find it difficult to post a simple picture.

I would love to up my game, because I have a feeling I'm going to be here a LONG time. And I'm regularly dazzled by the things other DM's post in games I'm playing in.

I'm thinking of a co-DM partnership. A 20th century book worm, and a 21st century techno-geek mentoring each other into well rounded PBP DM's.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.