Investigation on a stormy night

load previous
Aug 15, 2018 7:18 pm
Sal explains things to the boy moving about and trying to get reception on your phone and analyzes the situation. He suddenly feel a small hand hold onto a free index finger looking down at the kid. He shakes his head and says he doesn't really know where you are and what happened after everything went black.

You look at the direction the boy was looking and you realize the sun is almost done setting as dusk escapes you. You check your screen to see if flicker unsure if your call goes through before it dies. You find yourself with a small boy someplace in the woods with no cell and hopefully someone on the way. You haven't heard any noises from the exit you came out of but the sounds of night in the forest start to creep in around you in the darkness.

You feel the boy shiver next to you unsure if he's scared or cold.
OOC:
I'll roll but you're not sure since the phone's dead. Now it's nighttime.
Remnant sent a note to Remnant

Rolls

Luck roll - (1d6)

Aug 16, 2018 2:41 pm
OOC:
So, unless I'm mistaken, Sal might still have the map with him.
Seeing the sun set, Sal makes an a guess, "Well, if Japan is the land of the rising sun, then that light source I'm losing must be in the west...," he thinks to himself as he turns to face when the sun disappeared. He notes which way must be North, East, and South, and then starts fumbling in his pockets to see if he still has the map, or if it had been lost in the pursuit. "You ever spend anytime in the Boy Scouts, er, what's your name again?" Sal asks feeling a bit foolish, but trying to keep the kid occupied so he doesn't panic.
OOC:
If I still have the map, then I'm going to try and very quickly, and in the dark, pinpoint my location so I can try and find my way back. Now, can the kid help? I know in some games if other people help on a skill check then there is a small bonus to the roll, but that's for PCs, not NPCs. Also, this is a pancked kid, so I'm not sure how much help he'd actually be.
Aug 16, 2018 4:07 pm
He shakes his head before explaining, "M-m-melvin... I've seen Dora da explora'." A sudden screech emits from a possible bird of prey somewhere in the night from the forest around you has him griping your finger and moving closer to your leg.
OOC:
Lets go with a survival check at -1 to figure out how to night land navigate through the forest. It was going to be -2 but map will reduce to -1 we'll say.
Aug 16, 2018 4:53 pm
Survival

Rolls

Survival - (1d8-1)

(5) - 1 = 4

Wild die - (1d6)

(6) = 6

Ace - (1d6)

(5) = 5

Aug 16, 2018 6:06 pm
OOC:
Techincally I don't think you have Survival as a skill so it's at -3 but that's still and 8 on the wild die so we're good.
Sal looks around the boy seemingly just along for the ride once you figure out which way you're going. You're deeper into the center of the woods than where you pulled up before and walked to, there's a bit of terrain between you and where you think the riverbed is but you definitely have an idea if you head south by southwest you'd make it in a few hours... if it was light out. With little moonlight out and cloudy skys you have the boy to deal with being not a pair of able ready hands at your side. You realize this is probably why they don't let very young kids into the Scouts.
OOC:
You know it'll be a bit of hoofing up and down possibly some climbing involved, when though is up in the air depending on how fast you can traverse the environment.
Aug 17, 2018 2:02 pm
OOC:
I don't have Survival as a skill, but since this is supposed to be a dramatic task, do you want me to go ahead and roll another 4 times to see if I can make it back?
Aug 17, 2018 3:52 pm
OOC:
I was using the Survival check to see if you'd figure out the 'path'. I figure you could write up an RP for the travel back montage and we can figure the rolls or you can suggest what you think would work for your approach on rolls and go that way.
Aug 18, 2018 1:41 am
OOC:
Since we're both in the Writing Workshop I'll try the RP.
In the fading sunluight, Sal looks at the map, and tries to take as much in as he possibly can before the night really begins to fall. "OK, I think I got it," he mutters, and looks off in the direction he thinks will get him back to his car. He looks over at Melvin, sighs, and whispers, "I hope to God I'm right." Absentmindedly, he puts his hand down by his phone hoping he can use it as a light, even if he can't use it it's intended purposed. "C'mon, Melvin. I'm pretty sure I know where to go." He extends his hand for the child to take and adds, "I'm sorry this has happened to you. Let's just get out of here, and get this whole thing over with." With the child in tow, they pick there way as best as they're able. Despite the absurdity of the nights events, Sal still can't help worrying about mosquitoes and tics. "Here's hoping that freakshow draws more of the parasites than I do. God knows he deserves them." The night itself isn't so bad, but the lack of a clear path makes the whole thing a little more difficult that he ever would have wanted to be. That last little bit of sunlight though might just have been enough to orient me to where I needed to go. Thankfully, I split when I did.
Aug 23, 2018 5:33 pm
OOC:
Junk my post didn't take and I didn't notice till now, lets get a series of notice rolls trying to find the landmarks in the dark to make sure you're on the right path. 5x rolls and the results I'll pull card for I think for the traversing montage.
Aug 24, 2018 3:15 am
Rolling

Rolls

Survival - (1d8-1)

(1) - 1 = 0

Wild die - (1d6)

(4) = 4

Survival - (1d8-1)

(7) - 1 = 6

Wild die - (1d6)

(4) = 4

Survival - (1d8-1)

(8) - 1 = 7

Wild die - (1d6)

(5) = 5

Survival - (1d8-1)

(2) - 1 = 1

Wild die - (1d6)

(2) = 2

Survival - (1d8-1)

(7) - 1 = 6

Wild die - (1d6)

(1) = 1

Ace - (1d6)

(1) = 1

Aug 24, 2018 1:11 pm
OOC:
Untrained is at a 1d4-2 not defaulted to the stat linked to it btw plus a wild die would have the penalty.
I'll go with you used Notice (which isn't just sight btw) so roll results look like:
1/4
7/4
9/5
2/2
7/1

Seven successes when 5 needed.
You make headway through the darkness and it's slow at first causing you to double back, the boy with you getting nervous at the point where you're doubling back. The next bit you make some decent bearing and just pick up the kid and hoof it rapidly scrambling through brush, around trees, and over hills up and a small embankment. You traverse down a raven and find yourself stifling a yell as your hand sinks into something that felt like a decomposed mouth possibly until you get a closer look at a small plant and moss decomposing on the hand outcrop you use to climb down with the boy on your back a several feet.

You think you see your car and lock the doors with your key fob and see the flash and you sigh thankfully as you see the familiar license plate of your car as you get closer.
OOC:
Quite dirty, tired possibly in need of coffee, and physically drained you are now by your card with kid in tow.
Aug 25, 2018 1:33 am
OOC:
For the sake of the rules, I'm not bickering just clarifying, I hadn't realized that the wild die also gets the penalty, but I thought the penalty was -1 because Sal had his map. Also, when untrained, do I roll the attribute with the penalty, or is jusr 1d4-2 as the default? With Survival I was following your lead because that's what you'd been putting. My bad. Notice then can substitute for something like Survival, but at a penalty if the PC doesn't has no training in Survival?
"Oh my fucking god...," Sal exhales as he creeps towards the car with the kid in tow. "That's my car. We go, and we go now."
OOC:
Notice to make sure I'm not about to be ambushed?
Aug 28, 2018 5:35 pm
OOC:
Forgot to reply, wild die is another roll for the check so all bonuses or penalties apply. 1d4-2 would be 1d4-1 since there's a plus 2, the wild die was at 1d6-1 along with it.

All untrained rolls are 1d4-2, the wild die for wild cards is usually a 1d6 so it would also be at the -2 since d4 would be (I know about it), d6 (average competence), if the penalty didn't apply people would likely not put points in skills as much since you could get past the -2 by just rolling a wild die at no penalty, that said there's an edge that lets you roll untrained at d4 vs d4-2. I figure you'd go with something you're good at to get back to the card and notice fit for the dramatic task.

In this case it was Notice to find things you saw on the map route back you figured out.

That confusing enough?

Also sure roll Notice also since you didn't write down what Investigator does it slipped my mind, does it give you a +2 to a roll? If so roll your Notice at +2 and a wild die at +2
Aug 29, 2018 2:00 am
OOC:
I went with Notice because it seemed most appropriate for the context. Sal wouldn't be investigating his way back to the car as much as he'd need to be aware of familiar marks, or terrain that lined up with the map. The map is kind of evidence, (as you noted with interpreting the map) and Streetwise just didn't seem to fit the situation. From the rulebook: Invstigators add +2 to Investigation and Streetwise rolls, as well as Notice Rolls made to search through evidence.
"OK, hold on a sec," Sal whispers slow to Melvin. Its dark, but Sal stops a moment before rushing to the car to make sure no one's waiting for him. "ONly an idiot would ever chance rushing out into a forest at night without a fucking flashlight, but hey, here I am, and maybe even getting paid for it" he thinks as he scans the area.

Rolls

Notice - (1d8)

(6) = 6

Wild die - (1d6)

(6) = 6

Ace - (1d6)

(2) = 2

Aug 29, 2018 1:03 pm
OOC:
Investigation is mostly correlating data so a 'roll for clues' when things aren't that obvious or to put out a new trail for more scenes/ideas out there
Sal doesn't see anything in the area and gets into the car the boy shuffles into the back seat once let in. You're still on edge due to the night you've had and squint a little as you notice the sun coming up. While pondering how long it took you to get back to your car driving through town back to the kids house has you jittery not just due to morning traffic. You pull out front out of breath and on fumes your nerves feel shot a bit.
Aug 30, 2018 2:10 am
Once he parks the car, he kills the engine, looks at the house, and then looks at Melvin. "Ready to go home?" he asks the boy. Before the kid has a chance to answer he continues "Look, you're probably going to have to go to the hospital, as well as chat with the police. I don't envy you. I can't imagine what this must have been like for you. Hopefully, now it's over. Let's get this over with." He nods at the front door, and gets out of the car.
OOC:
Once inside, Sal will use a phone to notify the police and request they send someone over. Give a statement, send people over to the weird guys house, the location in the forest, and so forth.
Aug 31, 2018 2:06 am
OOC:
Ihave to ask because it feels like a natural spot for an ending. Are we wrapped up? It seems like the perfect spot, but I don't know if you wanted to stretch this out further.
Sep 4, 2018 2:24 pm
OOC:
Yep it is, long weekend. Ending with a twist.
You get the boy home to his parents who both break down crying, he's given his stuffed bear and shuffles off to his room quietly saying he's going to fix his bear. They thank for getting their son Thomas back and request a bill be sent. You get notified by the police about your call in about the man's house that it went up in flame last night at sometime in the early morning. Looking at the boy in the window you watch him slowly smile at you and wink. You see his teddy bear waving at you next to him...
Sep 4, 2018 5:24 pm
OOC:
Well, that's a fun ending. I've appreciated the time you put into walking me through the rules. Running a game can be a lot of work, and you've been pretty selfless about teaching me the system. It'll be interesting to see how the game has been modified to work with Rifts. Otherwise, thank you very much for the experience. I'm looking forward to applying it.
Sep 4, 2018 6:21 pm
OOC:
No worries, having a tie in for the characters so the story focuses on them and they path they take is the story versus they're a character in it I think pulls from Dungeon World or Narrative dice game mechanics to me. In Rifts you have most players playing what could be considered a super weapon (Glitter Boy, Dragon, etc) so it's interesting to see how they do in certain situations in a world where things are also just as strong. From an AP I've learned even Glitter Boys that can level towns have issues (ghosts/spirits) or being caught in close range combat where the boomstick just down't have time to fire. Also having two factions in the world as major background flavor (neither is really a good group) worked well also. Happy Jack's RPG Podcast had an AP in the RIFTs setting I think. Just remember untrained is 1d4-2. We really didn't go into a lot on additional modifiers that may come up so I'd check that out, like trying to attack someone invisible is at -6 which is great as a player, unless they're attacked by a GM NPC/creature that's invisible, throwing out paint and seeing large feet step on it so you don't see how big the feet are or seeing several dozen feet might be fun as well if there's a horror tone to your game. Any questions? Like how to deal with a full combat monkey team of PCs that are really good in combat? Or anything?
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.