Stray Dogs Episode I - The Station of Death

Aug 17, 2015 12:43 am
It's been a fairly routine couple of weeks aboard the Ronin. Working, however indirectly, for the crime lord Jorbo Pidana is never without a bit of excitement but moving freight (weapons, liquor and other contraband) from Voidspace into the League has almost started to become boring. The uneasy cease fire between The League and the Empire has really boosted trade, especially the illegal or freelance kind.

To you and your fellow crew, it's only business - a way to pay off the Ronin more quickly, before Jorbo alters the deal and puts you further into harms way doing things that insult your personal moral code. Just when the routine was starting to get to you, the Ronin's comm indicates an incoming holovid. You gather in the lounge and accept the transmission:

The familiar yet ugly face of Kilter, Jorbo's "Capo" or best guy, a Borgoz known for having a shorter temper than most of his kind. "Hey dere, crew of da Vencha. Reports are showin' that you are exceeding expectations on deliveries. No lost shipments. This pleases the boss. He has a special mission for you. If you are successful, he will consider removing 3 G's of your debt. It's a simple job, you need to pick up a lab technician, Ashley Williams, and bring them to a location we'll specify once you got him. The tech is waitin' for ya and willin'. Research Station L36. I can send the coordinates to the da Ronin's Nav.
Aug 17, 2015 2:14 am
"Passenger delivery eh? Crap, had we know we would have changed one of the pod for a passenger pod, not that we have toe funds for that anyways. As things are, space will be a bit cramped with an extra body in here... I'm sure we'll be able to work something out... Very well, send the coordinates Capo."

(OOC: I had proposed a few names here already. Personally, I like "The Ronin" as it implies being masterless...)
Last edited August 17, 2015 2:15 am
Aug 17, 2015 4:54 am
"Does this job require a lot of land walking? I'd really hate to be outta space for too long. Plus, might as well get as much piloting as I can in this ship, for practice reasons. And if it turns out to be too much trouble, the lab rat can have my bunk, I sleep at the controls anyway".
Having a sudden realization Kalerik turns to his fellow crew.
"And don't start having any ideas about converting my sleeping quarters into a storage space, because of that".
Last edited August 17, 2015 7:13 am
Aug 17, 2015 11:46 am
>WAYPOINT COORDINATES RECEIVED

> PLOT 345.212.034.301...
>VOIDSPACE
>NOTE! PROXIMITY TO IMPERIAL NO-FLY ZONE
>DESTIGNATOR : ////RESEARCH FACILITY L36////
>OWNER/NATIONALITY: UNKNOWN

>NAVIGATION PROGRAMMING
>HYPERDRIVE PLOTTING.....75%....2 MINUTES TO COMPLETE....
Aug 17, 2015 5:03 pm
Hereixth "Hotwire" T'ayil, the ship's engineer, licks his lips, "You ladies might wanna hold on to your skirts. I just spent the past 36 hours tweaking the hyperdrive and it is TASTY! Should cut hyperspace transit times by 7%."
Aug 17, 2015 6:10 pm
Everyone moves to the Ronin's command center and cockpit area and Hotwire punches the ship from sub-light into hyperspeed. The star field's points of light stretch into lines of light as the ship speeds off on a course towards L36.

The NAV system relates that the trip will take approximately 4 hours. What will people do with their time?
Aug 17, 2015 7:05 pm
Kalerik will spend a good chunk of the time sitting at the controls and watching space fly by (essentially daydreaming). He would probably take ten minute brakes every now and again to read about different maneuvers, especially those related to the Ronin.
Aug 17, 2015 7:13 pm
S'skaar will attempt to find out as much as he can about this Research Facility L36 since he doesn't like to head into the unknown like that. And if he can't find anything via "regular" channels, he can always try hacking for more information.
Last edited August 17, 2015 7:14 pm

Rolls

Research Data (MND+IN+Technician+Hacker, CTN 16) - (1d20)

(16) = 16

(Optional) Hacking check (MND+IN+Technician+Hacker+Laptop, CTN 17) - (1d20)

(8) = 8

Aug 17, 2015 7:41 pm
S'skaar skillfully brings up all the data he can find on the facility, which is surprisingly very little.

The base focuses study on minerals/space mining - identifying the minerals in samples it is provided.
It is a space based research station
It has two universal airlocks/docking stations
Judging by a few manifests you find, there are about 20 staff

He sees a name associated with the station "Arum_Za", which he knows is a reversal of Mazura, the name of the Emperor
Not satisfied, he delves deeper and cracks an old Empire databank.

He easily gets passed the firewall and discovers:

This research facility was funded by the Imperial Hegemony - functioning in Voidspace, which is supposed to be off limits during the truce. Granted, there is no solid evidence should the Empire wish to disassociate with the facility.

Communications stopped two weeks ago with the facility.

Rolls

Firewall CTN 15 - (1d20)

(19) = 19

Aug 17, 2015 7:57 pm
"Hey guys, you might want to look at this... I don't like this one bit. In what sort of mess is Capo sending us? Well, it's not like we have much choice anyways, Jobro pretty much has us by the balls (or the equivalent in species without balls) with what we owe him... I think we should expect trouble. Stay sharp everyone!"

With that, S'skaar downloads a schematic of the station onto his laptop for future use, just in case...
Last edited August 17, 2015 7:58 pm
Aug 17, 2015 8:02 pm
S'skaar doesn't find a schematic of L36 through either regular or hacked channels.
Aug 17, 2015 8:53 pm
Dextolen says:
S'skaar doesn't find a schematic of L36 through either regular or hacked channels.
"Well, that doesn't bode well..."
Aug 17, 2015 11:56 pm
"Sounds like this is going to be a party. Lizard, can you bring up any photos or vids of this place, anything that might help us? I dislike the idea of going in blind".
Aug 18, 2015 12:06 am
"I'll see what I can do... And I told you before to not call me 'Lizard'; you don't hear me calling you 'Potted Plant' now, do you?"

S'skaar will try to find any sort of image of the inside of the station to have any idea what the group is heading into.

Rolls

Hacking check (MND+IN+Technician+Hacker+Laptop, CTN 17) - (1d20)

(14) = 14

Aug 18, 2015 12:30 am
"Oaky, got something. It's not much, but It'll have to do. Whatever this thing is, it seems to be very secretive. Not surprising considering it's an illegal Imperial base..."

S'skaar will download this to his laptop.
Aug 18, 2015 5:49 pm
Saru stands up and approaches S'skaar slowly shaking his head "I don't trust that Kilter a bit, his caste is only thieves and beggars." says while spitting on the floor. After a brief look at S'skaar's laptop he adds "I bet he is leading us to a trap." He cracks his knuckles with a defiant smile "Count me in"
Aug 18, 2015 6:16 pm
Kalerik remains speechless for some time, looking horrified at the glob of spit on his cockpit floor.
"This is not your jungle gym you unevolved chimp". Kalerik mumbles to himself in a barely audible voice as he discretely wipes the glob from the floor.
Aug 18, 2015 6:22 pm
"Considering all communications with the place stopped about 2 weeks ago, I doubt this is a trap, but I feel we're definitely heading into trouble. Hmm, maybe I could try to find more about those rocks they were studying; maybe this could give us a clue as to what might have happened in there..."

S'skaar will then try to find information about the minerals the station was studying...
Last edited August 18, 2015 6:23 pm

Rolls

Data Research (MND+IN+Technician+Hacker, total CTN 16) - (1d20)

(5) = 5

Hacking (MND+IN+Technician+Hacker+Laptop, total CTN 17) - (1d20)

(12) = 12

Aug 18, 2015 7:07 pm
...S'skaar finds they have been studying comet samples, meteor and meteorites most recently.

Rolls

Firewall CTN 15 - (1d20)

(11) = 11

load next

Thread locked