Chapter 1 - The Beginning

load previous
Aug 29, 2015 9:43 pm
I nod slowly at Crolwell. "That is correct, as you can plainly see here there is a sharp pointed end, and here..." I turn the pin so he can get a closer look at it "...a rounded end. It is clearly meant to be fastened to a cloak or similar garment, and is, therefore, a pin. Very good deduction."

I give him a pat on the shoulder and a half smile before I focus all of my attention onto the pin, inspecting every crevice and noting the weight of it in my hand and guessing at the possible metal composite that it is made from. "Hmm. Interesting." The dagger looks somewhat familiar, if I could only remember...

Rolls

History - (1d20+6)

(2) + 6 = 8

Aug 29, 2015 10:30 pm
Ütés:
Walking the floor slowly you check each body. You don't see the face you were looking for, a relief I'm sure.

Xadira:
You flip the pin around a few times. You are right that somehow this dagger symbol is familiar, you just can't quite place it.

As you are all inspecting your surroundings and looking over what clues you can gather from the previous evening, which at this point is just about nothing, you hear the batwing doors to the tavern creak. It's a young boy, maybe of 15 or so. He stops in his tracks and his face goes white. His eyes flick wildly around the room and then at each of you. The silence in the air is palpable.

Before anyone even manages out a word he turns and runs. You hear him retreating from the tavern shouting for the town guards.
Aug 29, 2015 10:40 pm
Crolwell will scratch his beard, look down at his blood stained Greataxe, feel its weight, and turn to ask Xadira.
"Sounds like the little feller is in trouble, should we run after him and help him?"
Last edited August 29, 2015 10:40 pm
Aug 29, 2015 11:04 pm
Aelar will look around at the others and the at the carnage and blood all over them, "Err... I think we should leave now, this doesn't look good at all."
Aug 29, 2015 11:14 pm
"A group of blood stained individuals running after a screaming boy might not work to our advantage" Ütés says as she tosses a weird glance towards Crolwell. "The bard is correct, a hasty retreat is in order! There must be a back way out of here."

Running towards the back of the tavern, she searches for an exit.

Rolls

Investigation [+2] - (1d20+2)

(8) + 2 = 10

Aug 29, 2015 11:19 pm
Aelar will follow Utes' lead and look for an back exit.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(6) + 2 = 8

Aug 30, 2015 12:03 am
"What boy?" I'm very much distracted as I try to suss out what happened here. Frustrated, I turn to the others. "We need more time. I simply don't know what has happened, and I need to find out. Yes, I do believe we must depart as much as I hate to leave all these clues behind." I join the others and hunt for a less obvious way out of the tavern. While I do so, I try to find some of those vials I seem to recall in my fragmented memory. Perhaps if I were able to study them later I could determine from where they were acquired and why.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+4)

(1) + 4 = 5

Aug 30, 2015 12:12 am
Crolwell will search with everyone else (looking around for an obvious door). He is going to set his Greataxe against Aelar's leg, saying.
"Hold this, my fine fellow."

Rolls

searching - (1d20+1)

(15) + 1 = 16

Aug 30, 2015 1:25 am
Caught off guard by Crolwell's odd request Aelar ends up hauling the greataxe around in his hunt for an exit.
Aug 30, 2015 2:20 am
Investigating around you determine the only other door out of the main floor leads to a back store room. There are the rooms upstairs with glass windows. You remember this from last night.

As you are looking around you start to hear voices outside shouting. The boy and a few others. Guards probably. Time is running short as are options.

Suddenly, a breeze blows through the tavern and you are aware of another cloaked figure going standing in the tavern. He flips back the hood to his dark robe and you see a young looking elf with uncharacteristically closely shaved black hair. He looks a little worried to be in your presence.

"Good, you are awake, time is short. Will you please come with me?"

He motions for you to follow him.
Aug 30, 2015 2:49 am
I'm both surprised and curious to see this cloaked figure appear seemingly out of nowhere. "Forgive me, but I did not catch your name." I look at him expectantly as I try to determine just how trustworthy he is.

Rolls

Insight - (1d20+4)

(13) + 4 = 17

Aug 30, 2015 2:52 am
It is quickly becoming apparent to Ütés that an easy means of escape will not be found before some sort of authority enters the tavern.

"We should just talk to the guards and explain the situation" she thinks before looking down at her blood soaked clothes and letting out a heavy sigh. "They'd never believe us..."

"He can tell us his name later! With the elf. Now!" she motions with her sword for the others to join her.
Last edited August 30, 2015 2:54 am
Aug 30, 2015 3:42 am
Aelar is looking between the elf and the door, trying to decide what to do when he hears Utes' command. Deciding that there are no other good options, he decides to follow the elf.
Last edited August 30, 2015 4:06 am
Aug 30, 2015 5:02 am
Crolwell lets out a sigh and then pulls out his pocket Fluba and nods toward Ütés.
He turns to Xadira and says, "Dear, could you pass me that pin?"
And then turns to Aelar, "come, boy and keep that axe up high like a real man".
Crolwell gives a high pitched cackle as he waddles toward the Elf.
Last edited August 30, 2015 5:17 am
Aug 30, 2015 6:07 am
Xadira:
Looking over this elf he seems to be speaking with some sincerity but there is something else he isn't saying. You are uncertain if this is because of time, or another reason.

As the group moves to the elf he is already crossing the room and moves behind the bar. He moves his hand underneath the counter, looking for something. After a moment he moves his arm and you hear a latching noise. A small door on the floor behind the bar drops open.

"I'm sorry I don't have more time to explain we need to go, the guards will be here soon.", he says, looking you over intently. "Please, follow." He climbs down into the hatch. After a few moments you see a torch light down below you about 10 feet.

"The way is clear", he calls up.

As this is happening you hear the sound of more armored people (probably more guards) gathering outside, and that boy shouting frantically about the massacre he saw with his own eyes, and the four murderers inside.
Aug 30, 2015 12:10 pm
With no other choice, I follow the elf down the hatch and pocket the pin for safe keeping.
Aug 30, 2015 2:13 pm
Taking a deep breath, Aelar will also head down the hatch.
Aug 30, 2015 2:25 pm
Crolwell will follow Aelar. He pauses, however, at the foot of the hatch. Looking behind him (and past Ütés if she is behind him) and takes in, one last time, the carnage on the floor. People, normal people, all who would have laughed to see him play his instrument or tell a story. All dead. Men, woman, perhaps even children. Their smiles would never reach him...
Crolwell turns around, shakes off his thoughts, and bumbles down the hatch-way.
Last edited August 30, 2015 2:34 pm
Aug 30, 2015 4:12 pm
Ütés wait for the others to move down the hatch and brings up the rear, closing the hatch behind her (if she can).
Aug 30, 2015 7:46 pm
As Ütés latches the hatch behind her and starts to descend the ladder. From above you hear the sounds of booted footsteps running into the tavern above. Shouts are heard, but it's hard to make out what they are saying.

As you reach the bottom of this ladder you find a small chamber, space is cramped with all of you standing here. Leading off from this room you find a small earthen tunnel about 5 feet high. The elf, listening to the sounds above, puts his finger to his lips, then waves you to follow him as he starts to head down the tunnel with his torch.
load next

Thread locked