Character Creation

load previous
Sep 29, 2018 3:59 pm
Awesome! All characters have been approved :-)

I selected all of you because of your consistency, imagination, and dedication. This is quite possibly the most ambitious undertaking to date on GP and I'm very pleased to have you all along for the ride!
Sep 29, 2018 4:06 pm
Super excited! Every Naatkinson game is a great game! Avatar check.
Sep 29, 2018 4:10 pm
There is the matter of my familiar. May I begin with it already conjured? Not the optimal choice, but I am really feeling the weasel. :-D
Sep 29, 2018 4:17 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
There is the matter of my familiar. May I begin with it already conjured? Not the optimal choice, but I am really feeling the weasel. :-D
Of course!
Sep 29, 2018 4:24 pm
Naat, do you want me to handle RP'ing the retainers or do you want to do it?

EDIT: I'll have a back story written up over the weekend.
Last edited September 29, 2018 4:25 pm
Sep 29, 2018 6:27 pm
Naatkinson says:
Awesome! All characters have been approved :-)

I selected all of you because of your consistency, imagination, and dedication. This is quite possibly the most ambitious undertaking to date on GP and I'm very pleased to have you all along for the ride!
Couldn't agree more (about the potential of this game and the great collection of people involved - happy to have been included).

Looking forward to an awesome campaign.
Sep 29, 2018 6:42 pm
twotonkatrucks says:
Naat, do you want me to handle RP'ing the retainers or do you want to do it?

EDIT: I'll have a back story written up over the weekend.
Either way works. It may be easier for me if you do it, though :-)

Len

Sep 29, 2018 8:11 pm
Naatkinson says:
Honoured to be in another Naatkinson production, and surrounded by such fine roleplayers!

Len

Sep 29, 2018 8:49 pm
twotonkatrucks says:
We could have an all LG party. :(

EDIT: This is my first time playing LG as a player. It'll be interesting how each person differ in their interpretation of what that means.
Hey twotonkatrucks, I look forward to seeing your interpretation of lawful good! In thinking about my own character, I've decided to switch from Neutral Good to Lawful Good, although the law of his God will be of higher priority than the laws of mortals. I think Lawful Good can be really interesting to play, especially when what is legal and what is right are in conflict.

Also Naat, I'm going to change his name to Itkovian, a reference to Steve Erikson's Malazaan Book of the Fallen series.
Sep 29, 2018 9:04 pm
lenpelletier says:
twotonkatrucks says:

EDIT: This is my first time playing LG as a player. It'll be interesting how each person differ in their interpretation of what that means.
Hey twotonkatrucks, I look forward to seeing your interpretation of lawful good! In thinking about my own character, I've decided to switch from Neutral Good to Lawful Good, although the law of his God will be of higher priority than the laws of mortals. I think Lawful Good can be really interesting to play, especially when what is legal and what is right are in conflict.

Also Naat, I'm going to change his name to Itkovian, a reference to Steve Erikson's Malazaan Book of the Fallen series.
I started that series, but stopped halfway through the first book. I need to pick it up and restart!

Len

Sep 29, 2018 10:06 pm
@Naat: I hear ya, the first book is pretty hard to stick with, given that the author drops you into his 500,000-year-old world with zero background knowledge, in a story that requires a lot of background knowledge. I didn't love the series until the third book. What eventually happens in the story is some of the best fiction I've ever read, but there is a lot of investment needed up front.

I compare it to the Black Company books, which are a smoother read.
Sep 29, 2018 10:16 pm
Harry Hausen. Brilliant.
Sep 29, 2018 10:46 pm
lenpelletier says:
twotonkatrucks says:

My character is strictly devoted to his moral code and a Katian deontologist. He's also a bit dimwitted, kind of arrogant, and suffers from Dunning-Kruger effect. He's going to be fun to role play haha.
Sep 29, 2018 11:52 pm
Interesting...so he doesn't consider the consequences of his actions when deciding on whether or not they are moral? If I have that right, Mahru will have some problems (not in any way as to disrupt the harmony of the group) with that. Fear not; those problems lead him to ask questions, not to throw down proverbial gauntlets ;)

It'll be very interesting to see how our characters get along. I'm sure they will. I'm just interested to see how it develops and through what stages it may progress.

Mahru is guided completely by his own sense of morality. He can't be LG I'm afraid, sorry all. He thinks laws are made by people, and people are fallible. Therefore, even the best intended and written laws could need to be broken from time to time depending on circumstance.
Sep 30, 2018 12:07 am
Tsavo says:
Interesting...so he doesn't consider the consequences of his actions when deciding on whether or not they are moral?
Essentially yes. His set of moral codes (basically some version of codes of chivalry mixed in with religious edicts of Yondalla) he considers absolute regardless of context.

But, he's also not very bright so you can easily manipulate him. Esp. if you give him deference or flatter him.
Last edited September 30, 2018 12:10 am
Sep 30, 2018 12:15 am
Tsavo says:
Interesting...so he doesn't consider the consequences of his actions when deciding on whether or not they are moral? If I have that right, Mahru will have some problems (not in any way as to disrupt the harmony of the group) with that. Fear not; those problems lead him to ask questions, not to throw down proverbial gauntlets ;)

It'll be very interesting to see how our characters get along. I'm sure they will. I'm just interested to see how it develops and through what stages it may progress.

Mahru is guided completely by his own sense of morality. He can't be LG I'm afraid, sorry all. He thinks laws are made by people, and people are fallible. Therefore, even the best intended and written laws could need to be broken from time to time depending on circumstance.
Well, Lawful doesn't necessarily mean that you have to follow the laws of the land. It could be the edicts of a god or your own internal moral code :)
Sep 30, 2018 12:28 am
Ah, ok. I've never been the biggest fan of the alignment system. I'm not necessarily opposed to it, but I've questioned its utility enough to have not (obviously) taken the time to grasp all of the nuances of the different degrees. Plus, I'm probably still operating on a AD&D definition haha.

So if my guy doesn't follow the edicts of any divinity (or nation/state) and sees his own moral code as something that's constantly changing as a result of his own growing and developing understanding of the world around him (and his relationship to it / role in it), would that make him CG?
Last edited September 30, 2018 12:29 am

Len

Sep 30, 2018 12:43 am
I'm switching back to my original neutral good now. Playing the
role of mediator sounds like Itkovian's kind of thing.
Sep 30, 2018 12:43 am
Tsavo says:
Ah, ok. I've never been the biggest fan of the alignment system. I'm not necessarily opposed to it, but I've questioned its utility enough to have not (obviously) taken the time to grasp all of the nuances of the different degrees. Plus, I'm probably still operating on a AD&D definition haha.

So if my guy doesn't follow the edicts of any divinity (or nation/state) and sees his own moral code as something that's constantly changing as a result of his own growing and developing understanding of the world around him (and his relationship to it / role in it), would that make him CG?
I would think CG, yeah.

My least favorite part of the alignment system is the Lawful/Neutral/Chaotic spectrum. It's far too unclear in its applications and too open to interpretation.
Sep 30, 2018 12:44 am
Tsavo says:

I tend to think of Lawful as someone whose conduct is guided by some external set of edicts. But, as Naat implied, those do not necessarily have to be legal documents.
Last edited September 30, 2018 12:45 am
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.