Chapter 8: The Wormwrithings

load previous
Dec 12, 2018 2:28 pm
The almost-hidden drow squeaks in fright as the earthen hand reaches up to grab her. She is simultaneously grabbed and held in place by the stone hand and lined in green flames. She looks to be on the verge of panic now, "You'd better stop, or I'll take you out with my powerful magics!"

Rolls

Female drow Str Save - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Female drow Dex Save - (1d20+2)

(5) + 2 = 7

Dec 12, 2018 4:01 pm
Hunter studies the drow in her arcane grip. Most of the powerful spellcasters she has encountered, such as Vizeran and her old mentor Hobren, had either an air of cold arrogance or warm confidence, respectively. Panic is something Hunter had in spades when she first began tapping into her own powers.

Rolls

Insight - (1d20+1)

(8) + 1 = 9

Dec 12, 2018 4:56 pm
It's quite clear that the female is bluffing.
Dec 12, 2018 5:05 pm
Hunter advances closer and considers what a powerful arch-mage would say. "Then I will just have to crush you and take your power for myself," she declares, oozing her words as though she were about to sample the finest meal. Inwardly she wishes that were possible, but she gives her earthen hand a little squeeze to emphasize her threat.

Rolls

Intimidation - (1d20+9)

(5) + 9 = 14

Dec 12, 2018 6:40 pm
The female's eyes pop open as the hand squeezes, "Please, no!" she says, "Don't kill me! I'm just an apprentice!"
Dec 12, 2018 7:04 pm
"Well that takes the fun out of it," sighs Hunter, showing outward signs of disappointment. Apprenticeship does make sense now, given the behavior.

She opens her hand and absently dusts her palms of dirt and loose stone that somehow appeared there, and releases the drow woman from the magical grip. "Who are you? And what are you doing here accosting people with death you do not have?"
Dec 12, 2018 7:56 pm
"I am Hanne Hallen of Menzoberranzan," she says, puffing out her chest with pride, "I came here with a hunting party looking for purple worm eggs, but we were... separated."

Sarith scoffs, "A minor family," he whispers to Hunter, "With no real influence."
Dec 12, 2018 8:24 pm
"Do they have enough pull to get us into the city when we need to?" Hunter replies in the same volume. "We'll eventually need access to that wizard's laboratory."

To Hanne, she says, "How convenient, as that is precisely why we are here. Perhaps we can help each other? I'm sure that together we can reunite you with your party and accomplish the task of retrieving a few eggs."
Dec 14, 2018 3:54 pm
OOC:
Sorry I'm being slow at moving this along, but we've got a lot of people who aren't very responsive lately! Damn you, holiday season!
Dec 15, 2018 2:20 am
"You think she can help us?" Xeliss looks her over skeptically. Can she handle herself?

Rolls

Insight - (1d20+3)

(5) + 3 = 8

Dec 17, 2018 5:53 pm
"She ought to at least know what to look for," Hunter says, before adding, "if not where."
Dec 17, 2018 5:58 pm
Sarith shrugs, "I'm unsure. Things change in the city faster than you can imagine. The house could be in total disgrace by this time. It couldn't hurt to let her accompany us, though, at least for now."

The female drow looks uncomfortable, "I think they're probably all dead... we were separated by one of the worms," she says, "but perhaps the loss can be forgiven if I return with an egg in hand. I agree to your terms."

Xeliss finds it oddly difficult to get a read on the female drow. She talks a big game, but she was quite easily overwhelmed by Hunter...
Dec 17, 2018 6:16 pm
Hunter relaxes her fist and dismisses the arcane earthen hand. The release is done politely, letting the Hanne catch her footing as she is freed from restraint. "So. Where to?"
Dec 19, 2018 7:20 pm
Hanne manages to stay on her feet, but she appears to be somewhat shaky. Looking around to get her bearings, she nods, "This way," she says as she begins walking, looking back at every chance to make sure you're following.

An hour later, as you are making your way through a long tunnel, everything around you begins to shake and rumble. Suddenly, the tunnel floor gives way at the front of the group.
OOC:
Hanne, Hunter, and Mai'ngor will have to make a dexterity save (DC 15) or fall, taking 2d6 damage
Dec 19, 2018 7:43 pm
Hunter sucks in a breath, as though willing her body to move faster.
OOC:
Depending on first roll, I might use Tides of Chaos for Advantage.

I will also use Bend Luck to provide 1d4 to either Hanne or Mai'ngor, whomever rolls under the DC and might benefit.

Rolls

Dexterity Save DC 15 - (1d20)

(8) = 8

Tides of Chaos - (1d20)

(3) = 3

Fall Damage - (2d6)

(11) = 2

Bend Luck bonus - (1d4)

(2) = 2

Dec 24, 2018 2:23 pm
Hunter tumbles into the pit, but Mai'ngor and Hanne manage to stay out of the pit. Hunter finds herself in a small chamber about 25 feet down, with a single exit to the north.

Peering into the hole, Hanne shrugs, "Well, I was hoping to find an easier way down, but I think this will do."
Dec 24, 2018 4:07 pm
Hunter's incoherent complaints mumble up through the hole as she stands, dusting her rump and rubbing her tailbone. While she waits for the others to descend, she takes a look around the chamber, mostly to keep her mind off her embarrassment.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+5)

(14) + 5 = 19

Dec 28, 2018 5:40 am
Xeliss hangs onto the golem as it jumps down to join Hunter.
Dec 28, 2018 4:49 pm
Other than rubble and dust, there's nothing of note in the room. The only exit is to the north.
Dec 28, 2018 8:39 pm
Hunter waits for the others to join her, waving off any concerns about her health, and is eager to get moving. When the group has collected themselves, she heads north.
load next

Thread locked