Chapters 1, 2, and 3

load previous
Jan 19, 2016 11:17 pm
Mai'ngor inspects the gouges on the wall. Could it have been some creature, or just vandals with stoneworking tools? Then he examines the two doors.

OOC: I don't know if one Investigation check will do it or if separate checks should be made for the gouges and for the doors.

Rolls

Investigation - (1d20, 1d20)

1d20 : (15) = 15

1d20 : (11) = 11

Jan 20, 2016 12:10 am
Mai'ngor is able to determine that the gouges appear to be from claws of some sort and are relatively recent. Whatever did it left no tracks on the floor.

The doors are the same as the entry door; aged bronze that pivot on a central axis to create a narrow entrance on both sides.
Jan 20, 2016 12:27 am
Sensing Xeliss behind him, Mai'ngor speaks, "When a tikbalang warrior dies, even the least among us, they are placed in a wooden throne in a place of honor. The body is blindfolded and arrayed for war. About the neck is placed a garland made of the rarest blossoms, and the mummified heads of slain enemies. For eight days and nights the warrior's deeds are chanted amid feasting and strong, rice wine. On the ninth day the body is placed in a wooden coffin suspended from the sacred cliff so the dead may join the sky-gods. We would never bury our dead in the ground. A soul so entombed would haunt the world forever."

OOC: The two doors are identical?
Jan 20, 2016 12:30 am
The two doors are identical, yes.
Jan 20, 2016 12:44 am
Upstairs

Hunter turns to those gathered at the top of the stairs. "How long do we give them before moving on?" she asks.

Almost without waiting for an answer, she pulls out the copper wire and straightens it. She holds it to her cheek, one end touching her ear with the other near her lips. Hunter whispers something as she holds the wire, resting the elbow on her other arm across her abdomen.

Ma'ingor, if you hear this, you are within range. Is the way clear?

Casting Message
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 120'
Components: V, S, M (a short piece of copper wire)
Duration: 1 round
You point your finger toward a creature within range and whisper a message. The target (and only the target) hears the message and can reply in a whisper that only you can hear.
You can cast this spell through solid objects if you are familiar with the target and know it is beyond the barrier. Magical silence, 1 foot of stone, 1 inch of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 feet of wood blocks the spell. The spell doesn't have to follow a straight line and can travel freely around corners or through openings.
Jan 20, 2016 4:03 pm
I examine the area around the altar, and any other place where there could be items of interest.

Rolls

Investigation - (1d20+1)

(13) + 1 = 14

Jan 21, 2016 2:38 pm
The altar is deeply gouged and has a huge crack in it, but Xeliss doesn't notice anything odd about it beyond the surface damage. This room appears deeply damaged but there is no sign that the doors have been opened recently.
Jan 21, 2016 3:07 pm
Recognizing Hunter's voice, Mai'ngor replies, "The way so far is clear. I thought you and the rest had gone on. Are you joining me after all? I would be glad for it."

The tikbalang approaches the left-hand door and touches his palm to it. If he finds nothing untoward, he glances back at Xeliss with eyes full of mischief, and pushes through the door.

Rolls

Investigation - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Perception - (1d20+3)

(14) + 3 = 17

Jan 21, 2016 3:39 pm
Hunter mumbles into her hand, Hold please.

She lowers the wire and says, "Well, he's still alive. I'll head down to keep him in range. Who's staying here?" As an afterthought, "Or who's leaving? I can relay what's going on with whomever's still here; I just need to know."
Jan 21, 2016 4:22 pm
Soliin shrugs. "I guess I might as well head down there with you. Better as a group."
Jan 21, 2016 4:31 pm
Jimjar smiles and rubs his hands together greedily, "Can't get the treasure without sticking your neck out a little bit, I'm coming down too!"
Jan 21, 2016 4:38 pm
The door appears to be perfectly safe and Mai'ngor pushes the door open to reveal a small chamber. There are 4 sarcophagi in here, each one has a lid with the sculpted image of a robed human figure in repose.

http://s19.postimg.org/ustrambdf/IMG_000000_000000.jpg
Jan 21, 2016 10:54 pm
"Bah! I guess we stay up here and keep watch, Drow..."
Jan 21, 2016 11:23 pm
She was about to inspect the shredded tapestries, but at the sight of sarcophagi, Hunter remains at the base of the stairway. In her mind, she intends to be the first out of the area should anything in the far chamber start to move.
Jan 22, 2016 3:16 am
I make my way over to the nearest sarcophagus to the left of the door. I pause to look at it a moment, stealing a quick glance towards my horse companion before I focus all my attention on lifting the lid.

Rolls

Strength? - (1d20+1)

(2) + 1 = 3

Jan 22, 2016 10:06 am
Gazing on the sarcophagi Mai'ngor thinks of his father, the chieftain, in the hanging coffin at the sacred cliff where Mai'ngor had laid him to rest as was proper. Mai'ngor had toiled for weeks laying the entire village to rest after the sickness had consumed them. There had been no eight days and nights of enthronement. No frasting and drinking, for Mai'ngor had been alone. He had chanted his father's deeds and danced the war dance with only the sky-gods to bear witness. The sky-gods. Why had they sent the burning rock to consume them all? Had the tribe displeased them in some way? And why had Mai'ngor been spared?

Mai'ngor's thoughts are interrupted when he realizes Xeliss is attempting to open one of the sarcophagi. He takes an involuntary step backward and makes a warding gesture. "I would not do that if I were you. We are here to rob this tomb, that is true, but do not disturb the repose of the departed, else we may find ourselves joining them. It is unwise to trifle with the dead."
Jan 22, 2016 5:55 pm
Mai'ngor's warning comes a moment too late as Xeliss tries to open the lid on the sarcophagus. As she touches it a partially transparent creature with skeletal features forms in front of each of the sarcophagi and stalk toward the party.
OOC:
Combat begins! Party gets first round and then the enemies will go
http://s19.postimg.org/u2aofp4pf/Screenshot_2016_01_22_12_48_27.png

Rolls

Party Initiative - (1d20, 1d20+3, 1d20+5, 1d20-1)

1d20 : (13) = 13

1d20+3 : (15) + 3 = 18

1d20+5 : (11) + 5 = 16

1d20-1 : (13) - 1 = 12

Specter Initiative - (1d20+2)

(2) + 2 = 4

Jan 22, 2016 6:17 pm
Hunter rolls her eyes and arbitrarily pauses as she makes a decision.

Then she turns and bolts up the stairs, in no position nor mood to take on the undead. Hunter flips open the copper wire and says to Elfog, "Dwarf! Coming up fast! Get ready to close the door!"
Jan 22, 2016 7:01 pm
Soliin peaks into the room, and spotting the apparitions, he freezes, his brain trying to comprehend what he's seeing.

Rolls

Intelligence, to see what he knows - (1d20+3)

(19) + 3 = 22

Jan 22, 2016 7:10 pm
Soliin knows that Specters are affected by normal weaponry but it's not as good as magical weapons or spells.
load next

Thread locked