Chapter 5: Return to the Surface

load previous
Jan 10, 2017 3:58 am
It only take Hunter a few moments to realize why the sounds seem so familiar. It is the sound of booted feet moving across the ground in unison. Some sort of group, not terribly large, but not small either, is moving in your direction, and quickly at that.
Jan 10, 2017 4:34 am
Hunter purses her lips. "Perhaps it is best if we move to the side," she says, warning the group of her realization. "It may be a dance troupe practicing, but I suspect it is a military unit.

And Sarith may be well disposed to remain out of the sight, at least until we can suss out their intentions."
Jan 10, 2017 5:05 am
Agreed. Mai’ngor steps aside with the others.
Last edited January 10, 2017 6:09 am

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+4)

(3) + 4 = 7

Jan 10, 2017 5:51 am
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
Agreed. Mai’ngor moves off the road and into the treeline.
OOC:
You're not yet on a road, and there's really no trees to speak of. There are the occasional bushes though. You may be able to find a couple big enough to half-decently hide behind.
Sarith takes Hunter's advice and moves quickly to hide himself among some nearby bushes, almost instantly disappearing from sight.
Jan 10, 2017 6:04 am
Hunter is primarily interested in moving away from the obvious path, and less about hiding herself.
Jan 10, 2017 6:09 am
OOC:
edited my previous.
Jan 11, 2017 2:37 am
Not interested in hiding now that he's finally made it out of the Underdark and in familiar territory Elfog will continue to move forward a bit to see what's approaching.

"Let's see what's out there, Beard!"
Last edited January 11, 2017 2:37 am
Jan 11, 2017 3:00 am
I try to find some sort of rocks to hide behind, or some dip in the dirt that will help mask my presence. I have no idea what to expect.

Rolls

Stealth - (1d20-1)

(9) - 1 = 8

Jan 11, 2017 3:27 am
While everyone else attempts to move out of the way, Elfog moves forward to see what's approaching. What he sees is probably not what he expected: somewhere around 50 orcs, all in uniform, are moving in your direction. Even from this distance, you can see the crest of the kingdom of Many-Arrows on the banner that one of them carries. It does not appear that they've seen you yet.
OOC:
For those not aware, Many-Arrows is the kingdom named after the orc king Obould Many-Arrows. They have a tenuous peace with the folk of the Silver Marches, due to a treaty signed into effect by Bruenor Battlehammer, king of Mithral Hall, around 100 years ago
Jan 11, 2017 3:58 am
Elfog slowly moves back towards the others and says in a hushed tone. "Orcs. Lot's of 'em!"

He crouches down on one knee and adds, "From that flag their carrying I don't think they would mean us harm, but might be best not to test that."
Jan 11, 2017 6:47 am
Mai'ngor, who moved off the road but remained standing in plain sight, crouches beside the dwarf. "How many? What makes you think they won't attack us?"
Jan 11, 2017 6:50 am
Hunter mentally curses her lack of suspicion, simply because they're above-ground. "Let us hide. Should we hide? Maybe we should hide." She looks at some of the larger bushes to the side of the presumed path taken by the orcs, and with a "push" of her hand digs a 5-foot hole behind one of them. "Someone get in there!" says Hunter, reasoning that one or two people can try to conceal themselves better with enough cover. She looks to repeat the same process at another shrub.
Jan 11, 2017 10:29 pm
"They are flyin' the banner of Many-Arrows. Not exactly a peaceful bunch, but they've got an agreement with the locals" Elfog responds before getting back to his feet.

"You lot should keep out of sight till them pig-noses pass. I'll walk out a ways and draw attention away if needed. They can't tell an Oakshoulder from a Battlehammer!" he says with a smile.
OOC:
I hope I haven't assumed too much knowledge here. I figured Elfog would be up on all of this and would definitely know who Bruenor is.
Last edited January 11, 2017 10:47 pm
Jan 11, 2017 10:33 pm
"Should I stand with you?" asks Hunter. "I understand Orc, in case it matters."
Jan 11, 2017 10:50 pm
Elfog stops and looks back at Hunter and looks her up and down for a few seconds before responding.

"Might need the support and ya don't look out of place here. Let's go."
Jan 11, 2017 10:53 pm
Before she joins Elfog, Hunter digs another pit behind a shrub with Move Earth.
Jan 12, 2017 11:44 pm
Elfog and Hunter move forward on the same path the orcs are coming from. When you come into view, the orc leader holds up a hand and calls for a halt. He looks at you warily, and then looks around as if trying to see your hidden allies.

"Who are you? What you do out here?" he calls out to you in stilted common.
Jan 13, 2017 12:14 am
"Easy, Friend" Elfog responds, obviously struggling a bit referring to the pig-nose as a friend.

"We're merely traveling, meaning no one any harm."
Jan 13, 2017 12:51 am
Hunter curtsies, respectful of the orc's station, but mostly for their weapons and sheer number.
Jan 13, 2017 4:33 pm
You see some of the orcs tighten grips on their weapons and smile hungrily, but the leader doesn't change his appearance at all, "Where you come from? No one come this way but us."
load next

Thread locked