Chapter 5: Return to the Surface

load previous
Jun 5, 2017 5:07 pm
Mai'ngor
"Name's Dreg Alehammer, thanks and good to meet ye," the smith replies, "What's brought ye to our little city?"

Hunter
"Top priest is Vex Foeblinder," the dwarf says in response to Hunter's inquiry, "He should be around somewhere if you want me to help ye find him."

Elfog
As Elfog enjoys his drinks with Ernig, a small group of other dwarves joins him at the table.

"Where are ye from, friend?" one of them asks.
Jun 5, 2017 5:27 pm
Hunter nods. "Please," she says, hoping she got the dwarvish inflection right. "I would like to to speak with dad Foeblinder."
Last edited June 5, 2017 5:29 pm
Jun 5, 2017 5:35 pm
"My friends and I recently escaped from the Underdark, where we were witness to some horrible, otherworldly things. I believe we are waiting for an audience with King Bruenor."
Jun 6, 2017 12:04 am
"Oakshoulder Clan of the Citadel Felbarr" Elfog responds proudly.

"Damned Drow nabbed me during a hunt. Must've been a score of 'em at least! Took out a good half of 'em before they finally got ta me." Elfog slightly exaggerates before telling them his tales of the Underdark.
Jun 7, 2017 1:45 pm
Hunter
With a nod and an odd look at the word "dad", the dwarf leads you deeper into the tabernacle. Eventually, he stops at a on the side of the chamber and knocks. A few moments later, a voice calls out for you to enter. The priest opens the door and steps in, introducing you before you enter.

When you enter, you see an aged dwarf with a full black beard, but a bald head. He wears slightly dirty robes and has an amulet with the symbols of the dwarven gods around his neck, "What can I do for ye, lass?"

Mai'ngor
"What were ye doin' down there? Yer people live there?" the smith asks, curious about your people.

Elfog
The other dwarves cheer as you announce how many drow you killed, "Damned drow are all worthless!" one calls out, and the others cheer.

"Our brothers from Felbarr are welcome here. Delzoun blood in us all, ye know!" another dwarf says and leaves to get the next round of drinks.
Jun 7, 2017 2:29 pm
"No, my people live... lived on the surface. Our village lay atop a great mountain range in the northlands. Our village was destroyed, so I went wandering. And then I was captured by the drow."
Jun 7, 2017 4:03 pm
Hunter curtsies, and relates the story behind her necklace and pendant, followed by the inability to physically remove it. She asks what is required to break the attachment, whether it may be a simple ceremony or the fulfillment of some other obligation. Hunter tries to insert as much dwarvish as possible, but often applies either the literal translation out of context or an archaic term; grammar itself sometimes poses a problem.
Jun 7, 2017 10:53 pm
Elfog lifts his mug in response to the cheering and takes a long swig of ale before slamming it back down on the table. It feels good to be back among his own kind, sharing some heroic tales and plenty of holy water.

Wiping his mouth with his forearm he leans back in his chair. "Aye, it be true, most Drow aren't worth a damned... but if it weren't for Sarith... well, wouldn't be here talking to ye, me friends. One in a million shot fer sure, but damned if he ain't a decent one."
Jun 9, 2017 3:28 am
Mai'ngor
The dwarf nods, "Ah, but that's a sad story, for sure. Well, I'm sure King Bruenor'll be able to help ye, not to worry. I'd better get back to work on this. Feel free to stick around, if yer bored."

Hunter
Vex listens carefully to your tale, and is briefly silent once you're finished.

"Let me see it," he says and, assuming you show him, says a quick prayer and continues, "Hmm, this is odd. There be a curse on it, but it ain't one to harm ye."

He says a couple more prayers on it, "Ah, I won't be able to take this off ye, girl. Not without spending a fortune on supplies for me spell. Is it causin' ye trouble?"

Elfog
"That's true, there do be some good drow out there," Ernig says, and some of the others nod, likely thinking of King Bruenor's dark-skinned friend, "Still, the bad ones are a lotta fun to smash with a hammer, ain't they?"
Jun 9, 2017 7:30 am
"No," Hunter admits. "There be a presence in this necklace, though. I can feel her, like she is inhabiting my very essence. I believe she can perceive the world as I do, but... Well, do you mind if I try something magic? I feel that I should warn you that unpredictable things can happen. And the last time I tried, she came forth."

If given permission to proceed, Hunter attempts to cast Alter Self and fashion a set of elongated talons from her fingertips.

Rolls

Wild Magic - (1d20)

(7) = 7

Jun 9, 2017 6:48 pm
"That that they are!" Elfog heartily agrees, raising his mug once again and taking a healthy drink. "Of course I prefer whacking with me ax, given the choice."
Last edited June 9, 2017 6:48 pm
Jun 10, 2017 9:50 pm
Hunter
Vex nods his assent and leans forward to watch the casting with interest.

As Hunter casts her spell, she feels the presence of Elayna come out from the back of her mind to see what's happening. She doesn't seem inclined to try to take control, though and the transformation goes off without a hitch.
Jun 10, 2017 11:49 pm
Hunter closes her eyes as she feels her fingers lengthen and stretch, pointed claws reaching outward. "This is a good sign, in a way," she says, caressing her own cheek to feel the contour. "Good rock. I was afraid that tapping into the arcane might cause a loss of control."

She wills away the transformation, returning to her true self. "I feel her, watching. She might even be to know of you," says Hunter to the priest. "What would be needed for your spell? I understand it would be high... er.. what's that word... un-cheap? But if I come across them in my travels, would that help?"
Jun 12, 2017 12:40 pm
"Well, if ye happen to find 'em, I would be happy to cast the spell for ye. Ye'd need... a scale of a red dragon, a basilisk eye, a large sapphire, and the horn of a satyr. I don't know how ye're gonna find 'em, though..."
Jun 12, 2017 6:23 pm
Hunter attempts to commit the list to memory. "I know not, either," she admits, "but it is a starting point." She gives a wry smile as she studies Vex.

"Thank you, kind father," Hunter says with a curtsy. "You have given me a hoard to think about. I should prepare for my meet now, so I ask for your leave."

As she departs, she adds, "And thank you again, for letting me practice my dwarvish. I hope it wasn't too confusing. I extend my sorry for that."

Rolls

Insight, does he really need all that? - (1d20+1)

(5) + 1 = 6

Jun 12, 2017 7:20 pm
"O' course, lass. If you find the stuff, please bring it here and I will lift the curse from yer shoulders. Yer Dwarvish is fine. The stuff is rare, but the spell won't destroy it, so ye can keep it when we're done with it"

As far as Hunter can tell, he's being totally truthful.
Jun 13, 2017 5:23 pm
Hunter takes her leave, and returns to her room to freshen up for the group's meeting with the king. She also checks with the others to see how they fare.
CancerMan sent a note to Naatkinson
Jun 17, 2017 1:38 am
Naatkinson sent a note to CancerMan
Jun 17, 2017 1:39 am
A few hours later, a couple of dwarves in fine armor show up at the door to your rooms, "King Bruenor sent us to see if ye're available for a meetin' with 'im."
Jun 17, 2017 2:58 am
Hunter rises. "Yes. Thank you for your call. Please show me the way to His Majesty." She gathers her bag and her staff, and leaves the rest of her weapons and equipment in the room.
load next

Thread locked