Ravenloft game thread

load previous
Sep 22, 2015 2:32 pm
I glance back at the shadows in the woods and heed Victor's advice. Not trusting of confinement, I scramble up the side of the carriage drop to one knee on the roof. Convinced it will hold me, I lean forward and hold onto the corners to see if I could reliably brace myself against violent jolts or bumps in the road.
Sep 22, 2015 7:57 pm
Summoning my courage, I stride up to and into the carriage to join Victor. Still tense as I take a seat, I look out the small windows, curious where we will be taken. "Well I suppose at least we'll arrive to the castle in style."
Sep 24, 2015 5:39 am
"This is insane! " sputters Grizel. Clearly if the others mean to ride the carriage she intends to ride her steed alongside it.
Sep 24, 2015 2:50 pm
The group are seated confortably, except for Zinnarath who receives a bumpy ride. Ireena is the last to enter the carriage, and the door swings shut behind her.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-LrNLRTf-AkQ/VEPUyt7vE5I/AAAAAAAAA9E/a1cq4K5og18/s1600/castle-ravenloft.jpg

After passing through the craggy peaks of the Balinoks, the road takes a sudden turn to the east and the startling awesome presence of Ravenloft itself towers before you. The carriage comes to a stop just in front of twin guardhouses of turreted stone, broken from years of use and exposure. Beyond these, a 50-foot-wide precipice gapes between the Balinok cliffs and the walls of Ravenloft, a chasm of dizzying depth that disappears into the fog-shrouded distance far below. The lowered drawbridge of old shorn-up wood beams hangs precariously between you and the arched entrance to the courtyard. The chains of the drawbridge creek in the wind, their rust-eaten iron straining with the weight. From atop the high strong walls, stone gargoyles seem to stare at you from their hollow sockets and grin hideously. A rotting wooden portcullis, green with growth, hangs in the entry tunnel. Beyond this, the main doors of Ravenloft stand open. A rich warm light spills from them into the courtyard. Torches flutter sadly in sconces on both sides of the open doors.

http://dundjinni.danielcpryor.com/Maps/Ravenloft%20House%20of%20Strahd/J%20-%20The%20Gates%20of%20Ravenloft.jpg

Rolls

Secret Roll

Sep 24, 2015 5:22 pm
As the carriage comes to a halt I jump from the roof, landing neatly in the ground beside the door. I take a few steps towards the gate, then turn back looking over my shoulder at no one in particular, "Looks like the only way to go from here is in." I check that my hand crossbows are loaded, and take a moment to check that my rapiers' are appropriately oiled in their sheathes, "Let's go."
Sep 24, 2015 5:41 pm
Victor climbs down from the carriage. "Agree'd", he nods to Zinnarath. His mind silently wonders what kind of unique and rare materials could be contained within these walls.

He follows quickly behind and the beak of his staff opens as a mist pours out and forms into a Nightshade on his shoulder. He gestures to it to stay quiet as they follow Zinnarath into the castle.
Sep 24, 2015 6:17 pm
Grizel and Alastor gallop up to the mysterious carriage carrying their friends. It's a relief to see them emerge unharmed. The paladin looks up at Castle Ravenloft. The real challenge is yet to be faced. Grizel dismounts and joins Zinn and Victor, greatsword drawn. Alastor follows closely.
Sep 24, 2015 8:15 pm
Justice exits the carriage and stands besides Grizel. She looks the Paladin up and down and whispers, "Forgive?" hoping beyond hope that the church might, Justice will then say "Help". And her fingers crackle with demonic energy.
Sep 25, 2015 5:03 pm
Zinnarath steps onto the bridge, which creaks and groans with each step. The shattered planks lay 40ft across a deep chasm, a deadly fall into swirling mist, which seems to lunge at the air in the wind.

Rolls

Secret Roll

Secret Roll

Secret Roll

Secret Roll

Sep 28, 2015 1:48 pm
Victor hurries his way across the bridge, passing Zinnarath if he must. Once on the other end of the bridge he will look around and see what is around.

[ OOC: Perception roll to see if I see anything unusual or suspicious on the far end of the bridge. ]

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(17) + 2 = 19

Sep 28, 2015 4:02 pm
http://dundjinni.danielcpryor.com/Maps/Ravenloft%20House%20of%20Strahd/K1%20Front%20Courtyard.png

Victor crosses the creaky bridge and enters through the open portcullis archway, which has a dark slimy patch stuck to the shadowy cobbles above your head. It opens into a huge area.

Thick cold fog swirls around in this darkened courtyard. Sporadic flashes of lightning lance the angry clouds overhead. Thunder pounds the courtyard. A light drizzle begins to fall. Ahead, torch flames flutter in the wind on each side of the keep's open main doors. Warm light spills from those open doors into the courtyard. Doors in the gate towers on each side of the tunnel entrance are shut against the rain. A howling wind rushes through the courtyard. The dark towers of the keep loom above in the mists. Flickering lights shine from a short round tower on the south east side of the keep. Tall stone walls surround the courtyard.
Sep 28, 2015 4:19 pm
Not trusting the fog covered courtyard on my own I signal for Zinnarath and the others to hurry across. I don't know what it is, but something seems foreboding about this area. The inviting torchlight is too welcoming for a place such as this.
Sep 28, 2015 4:24 pm
Nervous about the rickety bridge taking their weight, Grizel and Alastor clatter over.
Sep 29, 2015 7:13 am
I follow closely behind Victor, if he wants to throw himself first into the danger I have no objections. When I reach the other side of the bridge I gesture ahead, "What's the hold up?"
Sep 29, 2015 9:51 am
Ireena follows behind Grizel and Alastor

"Wait! Are you sure this is the right thing to do? We could be defenseless if we enter 'his' home..."

Rolls

Secret Roll

Sep 29, 2015 10:12 am
"What else is there to do? Sit in the town and wait until he comes after us?" I look at Ireena, then to the others who have been here longer than I have.
Last edited September 29, 2015 10:12 am
Sep 29, 2015 12:21 pm
"Zinnarath is right. We are just as defenseless anywhere. The longer we wait the more innocent people could be dying. What of the villagers that have come before us? Shall we doom them to their fate?", Victor says.

"Doom!", Nightshade caws. "Fate!"

Turning to Zinnarath I gesture to the fog covered courtyard and the lights across it, "Something is... Foreboding... About this entrance. We should stick close together as we enter."

"Door.", I command Nightshade. He flys from my shoulder to find a perch near the door. I see if anything happens as he crossed the courtyard to land near the door.
Sep 29, 2015 1:22 pm
While Zinn and Victor are discussing at length, and the others are hesitating, Grizel and Alastor are already crossing the courtyard towards the doors.
Last edited September 29, 2015 1:26 pm
Sep 29, 2015 1:45 pm
Following closely to the others, I'm silent as I take in the strangeness of the castle. Every other castle I had visited had been busy with people and happy to receive my family as visitors. "This is no castle. This is a fortress of fear." I stifle a shudder as we move on.
Sep 29, 2015 1:56 pm
Victor watches Grizel cross the courtyard, waiting to ensure their safety before scurrying quickly across it.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.