Ravenloft game thread

load previous
Oct 15, 2015 1:10 pm
My instincts kick in when I hear the sounds of battle breaking out in the main chamber. I spin on my heel and fling myself down the stairs, two already-loaded hand crossbows flying into my hands as I land behind Victor. I take aim and fire both at the figure looming over Katerina.

Move Action: Down the stairs - space behind Victor
"Free" Action: Draw both hand crossbows (with my Dual Weapon feat I can draw 2 weapons for free instead of the usual one)
Action: Pew...
Bonus Action: Pew!
Last edited October 15, 2015 1:11 pm

Rolls

Hand crossbow 1 - Attack - (1d20+7)

(16) + 7 = 23

Attack 1 - Damage (if hits) - (1d6+4)

(5) + 4 = 9

Hand crossbow 2 - Attack - (1d20+7)

(10) + 7 = 17

Attack 2 - Damage (if hits) - (1d6+4)

(1) + 4 = 5

Sneak Attack Damage (if either hits) - (3d6)

(432) = 9

Oct 15, 2015 10:28 pm
Schthhtk...schtk! The creature's hard, bluish skin is pierced twice. Snarling, it bears fangs and devilish white eyes, and simply rips out the bolts. The wounds seem to clot rapidly and the skin pulls tight.
Oct 16, 2015 12:41 am
[ OOC: Posting for the GM and Players ]
Creature > Zinnarath > Kat > Justice > Ireena > Victor > Faelor > Grizel
Last edited October 16, 2015 12:41 am
Oct 19, 2015 11:00 am
Startled from my inspection of the mysterious cleric, I see the strange creature and instinctively thrust my arm forward, releasing shimmering marble sized orbs of red light. They zip through the air to strike the creature's blue skin.

Rolls

Magic Missile - (3d4+3)

(133) + 3 = 10

Wild Magic check1 - (1d20)

(19) = 19

Oct 19, 2015 2:56 pm
Kat and Justice are surprised by the silently moving creature, mesmerised by the calming light from the window and shocked into a defensive position by Zinnarath's two shots (Dodge action taken)

Ireena is much faster to act. She lunges at the creature, drawing her dagger and stabbing in one swift movement, facing her opponent with fearless confidence. (Moving between justice and creature)

The dagger almost breaks on the woman-like creature's hard skin. But it pierces nonetheless, causing the creature to gargle a hoarse shriek.

Rolls

Ireena dagger strike - (1d20+5)

(17) + 5 = 22

damage - (1d4+3)

(4) + 3 = 7

Oct 19, 2015 3:19 pm
Grizel draws her greatsword as she leaps from the saddle. She utters words of enchantment and the sword glows with power. She charges the creature, slashing at its torso.

Bonus action to cast Enchant Weapon on greatsword.
Expending one 1st level spell slot for Divine Smite.
Great Weapon Fighting: Reroll 1's or 2's (damage roll). Must use the new roll.

Damn these low rolls! :-P

Jabes.plays.RPG sent a note to Biscuitfiend
Last edited October 19, 2015 3:24 pm

Rolls

Attack: +1 Greatsword - (1d20+7)

(16) + 7 = 23

Damage - (2d6+4)

(12) + 4 = 7

Damage reroll [GWF] - (2d6+4)

(31) + 4 = 8

Smite damage [radiant] - (2d8)

(36) = 9

additional smite damage - BF - (1d8)

(6) = 6

Oct 19, 2015 3:36 pm
Victor spins around Zin's legs to get behind her to shield him. He pulls a small leather loop from his component pouch and whispers an incantation. Slowly the creature begins to lift off the floor and levitate. He hopes to get it about 10 feet off the ground so it can't reach or grab anything around.

[ OOC: Victor moves through Zin's spot so Zin is between him and the creature, then he casts levitate. The creature can avoid being lifted if it makes a DC15 Constitution saving throw. If it doesn't I want to move it to a place teen feet off the ground where it can't reach anything to propel itself. ]
Oct 19, 2015 3:51 pm
Biscuitfiend sent a note to Jabes.plays.RPG
Wow. Smites are very powerful here!

I'm not too sure about the mount, as the rules are hopelessly unclear. I would say attack away - it's ridiculously overpowered at the moment but won't be at other times. It will probably becomes more obsolete as you gain levels (a bit like Dire Wolf Druid!)
[/note]

Rolls

Creature's CON save vs Levitate - (1d20+3)

(3) + 3 = 6

Oct 19, 2015 4:00 pm
The creature rises helplessly into the air. It is seared by Faelor's spell, and caught by Grizel's bright flashing sword. It's flesh is heavily seared by the divine power, smoking and tearing. It's wounds stop sealing.
Oct 19, 2015 4:04 pm
The creature swings wildly to catch the wall as it rises (Victor will be able to move the creature horizontally on his next turn - for now, it is still adjacent to the wall)

The creature grabs the door (which is ajar, inward opening), pulling itself inward. It releases it's arms to jump and swing at the party, but gravity does not help it.

Rolls

Creature DEX check - (1d20+3)

(15) + 3 = 18

Oct 25, 2015 11:38 am
As the creature floats upwards I release one hand crossbow, letting it fall to the ground, slam a bolt into the one in my main hand and loose a single bolt at it. As the bolt flies, I grab my third hand crossbow with my empty hand and fire the already loaded bolt at the creature.

Since the action sequence on all of this is fiddly here it is:
Free: Drop Crossbow 1
Action: Attack with Crossbow 2 (reloading as part of the attack because I have a free hand)
Free Object Interaction: Draw Crossbow 3 (already loaded)
Bonus Action: Attack with Crossbow 3 (this is probably a twisting of the rules, as technically I believe you're supposed to have the weapon *in hand* when you make your main attack in order to get the free offhand attack... but I'm a badass swashbuckler so, it's cool? No real abuse here I don't think. Just wheedling my way around the loading property, and I'm dropping weapons so this can't go on forever.
Last edited October 26, 2015 10:30 am

Rolls

XBow 1 - (1d20+7)

(18) + 7 = 25

XBow 1 Damage - (1d6+4)

(6) + 4 = 10

XBow 2 - (1d20+7)

(2) + 7 = 9

XBow 2 Damage - (1d6+4)

(6) + 4 = 10

Sneak Attack Damage (if either hits) - (3d6)

(515) = 11

Oct 26, 2015 4:03 pm
The first bolt hits, and hangs stubbornly in the flesh. The creature barely reacts.

Impressed by Zinnarath's crossbow-slinging, Ireena stares for a short time before retreating to search amonst the broken chapel furniture for something to throw at the creature. Sheathing her dagger, she pulls out a small brick and a sharp length of wood.

Rolls

Investigation - (1d20)

(15) = 15

Oct 30, 2015 11:01 pm
Victor whispers a command and tries to move the monster 20 feet further out into the room. He concentrates intently on the creature.

OOC: Trying to get it away from anything it can grapple onto.
Last edited October 30, 2015 11:01 pm
Nov 21, 2015 11:05 am
The creature tries to resist being pulled away from the solid door.

A sharp, purple claw catches behind the door of the entrance, but the creature is pulled out into the middle of the room, where it now remains at your mercy.

She cries out in a gargle-like cry:

"FOOLS! Toy with me and this day will be your last!!"

Rolls

Str saving throw (disadvantage due to reduced mobility) - (1d20+3, 1d20+3)

1d20+3 : (11) + 3 = 14

1d20+3 : (11) + 3 = 14

Nov 21, 2015 8:56 pm
That takes my action to move it so Faelor is up.
Nov 21, 2015 11:57 pm
"What manner of creature are you?!" I demand of the thing since it's capable of speech.
Nov 22, 2015 11:08 am
"Strahd's GIFT to me was great longevity and power. I can TAKE you to HIM if you wish to LEARN more"
Nov 22, 2015 12:18 pm
With the creature hopelessly beyond the reach of her sword, Grizel sheathes the weapon and draws a javelin. But she hesitates. Great longevity and power, the creature had said. Grizel thinks to herself, That Strahd's been lordin' it over this land for more'n a century with that power. A monster like that needs t' be destroyed! If only a good man - or woman - had that power an' could live so long! There's no sayin' how much good someone could do if no one could stop 'em.
Last edited November 22, 2015 12:51 pm
Nov 22, 2015 12:40 pm
I sheathe my second crossbow, slam a bolt into the one still in my hand and let it fly at the creature, "Slay it."

Rolls

Crossbow - (1d20+7)

(10) + 7 = 17

Damage - (1d6+4)

(4) + 4 = 8

Sneak Attack - (3d6)

(231) = 6

Nov 23, 2015 8:30 pm
She rips two bolts from her abdomen, and the wounds start to close over quietly. Immediately Zinnarath fires and the bolt rips into her flesh. The weak, unprotected spot in her side does not bleed.

"Ughh...stop! What good am I to you full of steel and clots?"
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.