Ravenloft game thread

load previous
Dec 1, 2015 11:10 am
"Ye think we might be able t' find sumthin' around here t' help us fight Strahd? Like yer father's symbol? Although it don't look like it protected this cleric much."
Last edited December 1, 2015 11:11 am
Dec 1, 2015 11:27 am
I nod in agreement, "I was thinking the very same thing. On both counts." I reach out and grab the symbol from the body, "Although, life on the sea'll teach ya that a little superstition can go a long way."
Last edited December 1, 2015 11:28 am
Dec 3, 2015 10:05 am
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
"Ye think we might be able t' find sumthin' around here t' help us fight Strahd? Like yer father's symbol? Although it don't look like it protected this cleric much."
"There could be something to it. The symbol was a mystery - a heirloom or something. Father would not say. Perhaps this icon could help us too."

The slender statue is about a foot high, made of the purest silver, and weighs 5lbs. As you take it, you feel like it rejects you, but no adverse effect comes.
Dec 4, 2015 12:09 pm
It feels odd to hold, as if it doesn't want me to hold it. I look to Grizel and offer the symbol to her, "I don't think it'll do me any good. Call it a sailor's intuition. Maybe it'll be better in the hands of someone with a... purer soul."
Dec 4, 2015 1:55 pm
Victor suddenly walks swiftly between them and snatches the symbol from Zinnarath. Well, I'll give it a shot, he says as he turns the symbol over in his hands and tries to discern its nature, all the while wondering what sort of silver this is and how much raw material it would melt down into.

Rolls

Arcana Check on Symbol - (1d20+7)

(5) + 7 = 12

Dec 4, 2015 2:52 pm
Grizel turns away from them both. With all the self-doubt and faltering in her convictions of late she wonders how much "purer" her soul could possibly be than any of the others. Sighing, she turns to Alastor. The warhorse, no earthly beast but a celestial spirit temporarily bound to her, eyes her as she pats his neck. Here is a truly pure soul, Grizel she thinks. She sends to him through their telepathic bond, Will you stay with me, Alastor? Help me stay true?

Out loud, Grizel says to the others, "Well, what're we dawdling about here for? We waitin' for Strahd t' come t' us?"
Dec 5, 2015 11:14 am
Victor feels some affinity with the symbol and it is clearly magical to his well-trained eye. It's hard to tell what school of magic was used to bless the statue as the power is inactive. Perhaps a cleric would have better luck.

"I do not feel safe here. Do you want to hunt this monster or should we leave? If we take the first course, we should choose our path carefully. There must be more of these creatures lurking about."

Ireena points to the pile of dust at Zinnarath's feet.

Alastor, sensing Grizel's unease, neighs appreciatively and cocks his head towards his rider.
Dec 6, 2015 6:41 pm
http://tbx.me/.ydD.png

Who wishes to pocket the silver icon, and which path will you take? You feel a dark foreboding about this place and it seems like your mages require some rest. You think it possible to rest here but the dark plarform and distant, unseeable ceiling high above makes you feel uncertain.
Dec 7, 2015 10:09 am
"Well, if no one has any opinions on the matter, I'll continue up the stairs and see what's above us." With a crossbow in one hand and a rapier in the other, I head back up the stairs to the next landing.
Dec 7, 2015 10:21 am
"That thing said Strahd's downstairs. But yeah let's make sure nothin' else gets th' drop on us."

"Stay here, my friend." Grizel tells Alastor out loud. She shoulders her gear and, sword drawn, follows closely behind Zinn.
Last edited December 7, 2015 10:35 am
Dec 7, 2015 1:12 pm
You step into the aperture. (To recap:) This arched room opens into the rising staircase to the west. Alcoves in the north and south walls open into this room. Within the dark confines of the alcoves lurk 8-foot tall shadowy figures. Their stone forms show mighty muscled arms and legs. A black shadow falls across the features of their faces.

A staircase of old wood climbs shakily up a stonework shaft. With each step upon it, the wood strains underfoot, creaking and groaning. You begin to work your way up. Assumedly, Zinn is also reloading her hand crossbows.
Dec 7, 2015 2:53 pm
I step out onto the balcony, crossbow in one hand and blade in the other. I carefully approach the corner and peer around. Seeing two humanoid figures I level my crossbow and step out, "Who are you and what are you doing here? Speak quickly, and don't move."

Of course reloading.
Dec 7, 2015 4:24 pm
This long balcony overlooks a vast rubble-strewn room, which you know to be the chapel. Two large, ornate thrones stand in the middle of the balcony that is covered with dust. The thrones face away from the brass banded double doors that lead to the balcony. The thrones could easily shield someone sitting in them from anyone behind them.

The room here is dark, so much so that the shaft of light in the chapel far below looks bright when you see it. As the pair of warriors enter the room, their light source extinguishes as a chilling breeze snuffs it out in an instant. The female half-orc approaches.

Compared to downstairs, the air here is unsettlingly cold and brings with it a sense of unease as you stand 50ft above a massive room.
Dec 7, 2015 4:34 pm
As the room goes dark, Grizel takes a defensive stance and reaches out with her senses.

Activating Divine Sense: Detect evil w/in 60ft. Does not ignore full cover.
Dec 7, 2015 4:48 pm
Victor is trailing behind Zinn and Grizel, but even as Zinn announces the presence of other people, he continues to look over the symbol. The puzzle is intriguing to him.
Dec 7, 2015 4:52 pm
Divine Sense reveals that one undead creature sits upon each chair, almost completely concealed from you. The light from the altar below feels holy, but it's radiance is restricted by the corrosive aura of darkness that pervades the castle.
Dec 7, 2015 4:54 pm
Grizel hisses a warning to her companions, "I sense at least two undead in this room, sitting in those chairs!" The paladin charges forward, sword raised to strike.
Last edited December 7, 2015 4:58 pm

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20)

(13) = 13

Dec 7, 2015 4:56 pm
The holy icon looks plain and lifeless in this dark setting. It's features are more prominent in the pale grays of darkvision, and there is not a scratch on it. It looks like a woman's form, but the expert crafter's emphasis was on the holy might that the figure wielded.
Dec 7, 2015 7:20 pm
This is presuming Mardak can also see the party

Mardak crouches low, hand resting on the pommel of one of his daggers. He glances up at the party, attempting to tell if they are friend or foe, rolls Insight to read their body language.

Mardak absentmindedly mutters, "From the darkness glimmers the light of my salvation." Louder he states, "I am Mardak Goodbarrel, an adventurer, fleeing from an unknown evil, who are you? Perhaps we may work together to overcome the evil of this place?"

I edited this because I accidentally posted it too soon, still figuring out the layout of the forum.
Last edited December 7, 2015 7:25 pm

Rolls

Insight on party - (1d20+5)

(8) + 5 = 13

load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.