Ravenloft game thread

load previous
Dec 7, 2015 7:27 pm
Mardak cannot see them without darkvision, but their dull shapes betray very little, other than that this party is here to fight the evil that very obviously pervades this place. You detect that there are several other people approaching up some creaky stairs from the same direction.

Rolls

Insight disadvantage due to darkness - (1d20+5)

(10) + 5 = 15

Dec 7, 2015 8:15 pm
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/95/90/25/959025efa7fbd2692e2b217b6d6871a8.jpg

As Grizel charges at the chair, the air grows colder, and a voice emerges.

"You have come to slay us as you destroyed that woman as she begged for mercy?"

Rolls

Creatures initiative roll - (1d20+2)

(6) + 2 = 8

Dec 7, 2015 8:20 pm
I spin, keeping the wall to my back so the other adventurers don't have the drop on my, and point my crossbow towards the voice at my back.

Rolls

Initative - (1d20+5)

(7) + 5 = 12

Dec 7, 2015 9:09 pm
Once it is my turn

Turning to face towards the unnerving voice Mardak expends 2 Ki points to cast Darkvision on myself and examine the room more intently.

Mardak then mumbles, "A clever person turns great troubles into little ones and little ones into none at all. Time to see if I am as clever as I think"

Mardak then moves alongside Grizel, muscles tensed readied to explode into action. Basically ready to attack on my next turn.
Last edited December 7, 2015 9:09 pm

Rolls

Roll for Initiative - (1d20+4)

(12) + 4 = 16

Dec 8, 2015 8:58 am
Round 1
Lighting: Darkness

"Now how will I respond when you beg for mercy? GHEHRHEHEHE!"

Victor (18)
Mardak (16: cast darkvision)
Grizel (13: attacking)
Zinnarath (12: shooting)
Faelor (12: Mage Armour)
Ireena (10)
Undead (8)
Balder (4: light and bardic inspiration)

http://tbx.me/0Ii8z.png

Rolls

IN: Ireena, Faelor, Victor, Balder - (1d20+3, 1d20+2, 1d20+1, 1d20+1)

1d20+3 : (7) + 3 = 10

1d20+2 : (10) + 2 = 12

1d20+1 : (17) + 1 = 18

1d20+1 : (3) + 1 = 4

Foe HP - (13d8, 13d8)

Dec 8, 2015 5:57 pm
Presuming I don't see anything particularly shocking with my Darkvision this is my action. Also, I believe I had said in my last action I ran alongside Grizel, if this wasn't possible no worries :) just wanted to see if that got missed.

Seeing the ghostly nature of his enemies, Mardak believes his fists may not be the most effective tool to vanquish this foe. Reaching into my tool belt I pull out a flask of Holy Water, which I toss at Or spray? I'm not certain how using the Holy Water would work against a ghost one of the apparitions.

Don't forget the 1 point of splash damage in a 20' radius :).

I have two attacks if possible I would like to throw 2 flasks of holy water at the same target
Last edited December 8, 2015 5:59 pm

Rolls

Throwing (or spraying) Holy Water - (1d20+7)

(4) + 7 = 11

Holy Water Damage - (2d6)

(31) = 4

Throwing Holy Water - (1d20+7)

(11) + 7 = 18

Holy Water damage - (2d6)

(22) = 4

Dec 8, 2015 6:17 pm
Grizel is so focused on the undead that she hardly registers it when a small voice in the dark (Mardak's) calls out something about mistaken identities or somesuch.

Though acutely aware that she is at a great disadvantage in the dark, Grizel does not falter. She trusts in her divine senses and charges the evil emanations, the great blade of her enchanted sword whipping through the dark.

"Why would I grant ye mercy? Ye who serve Strahd?!"
Last edited December 9, 2015 5:50 pm

Rolls

+1 greatsword attack #1 (disadvantage) - (1d20+7, 1d20+7)

1d20+7 : (19) + 7 = 26

1d20+7 : (9) + 7 = 16

damage - (2d6+5)

(53) + 5 = 13

smite damage - (3d8)

(422) = 8

+1 greatsword attack #2 (disadvantage) - (1d20+7, 1d20+7)

1d20+7 : (10) + 7 = 17

1d20+7 : (18) + 7 = 25

damage - (2d6+5)

(23) + 5 = 10

rerolling that deuce (Great Weapon Fighting) - (1d6)

(3) = 3

Dec 9, 2015 4:53 am
Balder begins a battle chant, his axe starts to glow and illuminate the area.

(On my turn I'm casting light on my axe. Ill also use a bonus action to grant Bardic Inspiration to Mardak)
Dec 9, 2015 7:02 am
I fire my crossbow bolt at the nearest creature, dropping the weapon and drawing my other blade as a lunge forward and stab at it. Before it can react I leap backwards, leaving Grizel to dance with it.

Action: Crossbow Attack, drop crossbow
Free Interaction with Item: Draw Rapier
Move: Split - move forward to engage, use Bonus Action to attack with rapier, use move to move away

Rolls

Crossbow Attack - (1d20+7)

(14) + 7 = 21

Crossbow Damage - (1d6+4)

(2) + 4 = 6

Rapier Attack - (1d20+7)

(8) + 7 = 15

Rapier Damage - (1d8)

(6) = 6

Sneak Attack Damage (if either hits) - (3d6)

(315) = 9

Dec 9, 2015 10:03 am
(Response to Beorn with some extra useful info:

Mardak can see that the room beyond the balcony has a huge, decorative dome-shaped ceiling. This room looks well-decorated but you can't see colour with darkvision. Mardak can't see any undead yet, he only knows that Grizel has announced that there are two on the chairs. They are obviously sentient and have not expressed any solid hostility yet.

Holy water isn't the 'Attack action', it's a separate action so 'extra attack'/dual weapon fighting can't apply to it. Also, holy water counts as an 'improvised weapon' which means that you don't add your proficiency bonus to the attack roll. Be careful not to waste that stuff. It could be gold dust in this place!

Also be aware that these huge chairs provide cover: total cover from behind, 3/4 at the back from an angle, 1/2 from the side, which means the AC to hit these things could be quite high if you don't go around the front of the chairs.)
Dec 9, 2015 2:25 pm
Revised action, if that is acceptable, if not no worries :). Also thank you for the clarification on how to use holy water.

Mardak shouts in the direction of the voice, "I believe you have me mistaken for someone else. I have slain no one in this vicinity, especially not one who begged for mercy."

Mardak will then attempt to look (Perception) for what creatures are making such wild accusations, perhaps they are confused and can be persuaded we pose no threats.

I will have a dagger ready though, to throw at any creatures that make threatening moves. Caution is never a bad thing :).

Rolls

Perception to examine room for creatures - (1d20+2)

(2) + 2 = 4

Dec 10, 2015 12:49 am
Preparing for battle, I sheath myself in protective magical energy. [OOC: Cast Mage Armor. AC now 15.]
Last edited December 10, 2015 12:49 am
Dec 10, 2015 10:30 am
Grizel throws herself at the enemy in complete darkness, guided only by her supernatural senses. The blade flashes with light as she brings it down upon the ghostly figure sat in the chair. Both strikes hit despite the circumstances, guided by the holy magic on her weapon.

"EAAAAGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!"

The creature is so shocked by the sheer force of the attack that it cannot take a reaction this turn.

Zinnarath's crossbow bolts shoots right through the chest of the creature as it shakes violently, to no effect. She whips her rapier out, stepping in front of the chair, and swings it at the enemy. It passes right through her incorporeal body with no effect, but the sight of the evil creature looks horrifying in her low-light vision.

Ireena steps out and sees the ghostly body, and some new warriors stood by the open door. She runs past the melee combat zone and approaches Mardak. "We should leave this wretched place! Do not anger these spirits!"

She spins around to see a terrifying sight, as the ghosts rise up from the chairs. "I serve not Strahd, I am older than Strahd!" One lunges for Grizel's neck, and the other faces the party with a neutral stare, boiling with anger!

Grizel avoids the grasp, her senses bright and clear despite the lack of light. The creature in the adjacent chair continues rising, until it releases a head-crushing scream, it's face contorting along with the darkness around it. (Grizel cannot see it and is immune to the effects! Nor can Victor, who paused in the corridor)

Zin, Balder and Faelor are subject to the Frightened condition for 1 minute:
• A frightened creature has disadvantage on ability checks and attack rolls while the source of its fear is within line of sight.
• The creature can’t willingly move closer to the source of its fear.

Balder's shield now lights the area.

Rolls

Massive damage CON save - (1d20)

(6) = 6

System shock effect - (1d10)

(3) = 3

Reroll (doesn't make sense) - (1d10)

(2) = 2

reroll - (1d10)

(2) = 2

Come on, random generator... - (1d10)

(3) = 3

First roll that isn't a 2 or 3! - (1d10, 1d10, 1d10, 1d10)

1d10 : (9) = 9

1d10 : (1) = 1

1d10 : (7) = 7

1d10 : (5) = 5

Corrupting touch - Grizel (advantage due to blindness/darkness) - (1d20+4, 1d20+4)

1d20+4 : (1) + 4 = 5

1d20+4 : (4) + 4 = 8

WIS save - Uvek (advantage - Brave) - (1d20+2, 1d20+2)

1d20+2 : (12) + 2 = 14

1d20+2 : (17) + 2 = 19

WIS saves - Zinn, Balder, Ireena, Faelor - (1d20+1, 1d20+0, 1d20+1, 1d20+2)

1d20+1 : (11) + 1 = 12

1d20+0 : (9) = 9

1d20+1 : (19) + 1 = 20

1d20+2 : (7) + 2 = 9

Dec 10, 2015 11:03 am
Round 2
Lighting: bright (20ft from balder. Dim 20ft outside of that)

Victor (18): Temporary DMPC: firebolt
Mardak (16): battle bardic inspiration 1d6, perception check
Grizel (13): Intimidation check, vow of emnity
Zinnarath (12): Frightened, "Moved into stair well, scared"!
Faelor (12): Frightened, fleeing
Ireena (10): running
Undead (8) (a, chair near the stairs): injured, no reaction. (b): uninjured and very frightening
Balder (4): Frightened, retreating
Dec 10, 2015 11:31 am
I step backwards, into the stairwell with Victor. My hands are shaking so much that I struggle to keep hold of my rapiers.

Turn: Move into stair well, be scared.

Rolls

Save vs fear - (1d20+1)

(7) + 1 = 8

Dec 10, 2015 4:32 pm
I turn to Ireena, "Where do you suggest we leave for? I do not know the layout of this place; however, I do not wish to needlessly seek combat." Almost subconsciously I mutter, "A rat who gnaws at a cat's tail invites destruction." I glance to see if the woman heard me and shake my head, even after all this time, my master's proverbs linger in my mind.

I shout to Balder, the human and I know each other at least a little, "Balder, lets follow this woman out of this chamber, she counsels to not anger these spirits, and I for one see the wisdom in such logic. We have fled a powerful ghostly threat, I do not seek to anger another such power needlessly."

With that I will follow Ireena out of the room, attempting to examine the next chamber I am exiting into (Perception).

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(17) + 2 = 19

Dec 10, 2015 4:54 pm
As the light from Balder's axe illuminates the area Grizel finally gets a good look at the two foes she faces. She makes a warding gesture at the injured one and speaks a command, "HOLD! If ye don't serve Strahd then we have no quarrel! Let us pass and I won't destroy ye!"
Quote:
Vow of Enmity. As a bonus action, you can utter a vow of enmity against a creature you can see within 10 feet. You gain advantage on attack rolls vs. the creature for 1 minute or until it drops to 0 hit points or falls unconscious.
Last edited December 10, 2015 5:03 pm

Rolls

Intimidation - (1d20+6)

(2) + 6 = 8

Dec 10, 2015 5:13 pm
Victor, alert to danger, launches a firebolt towards the nearest enemy, and it extinguishes as it hits the cold oak chair..

"How did you get in? Find the stairs!" Mardak knows that they came in through a staircase which can be found in the throne room at the end of the hallway. Ireena dashes 40ft down the hallway, checking to see if the others will follow. This 20-foot-wide hall has a dark vaulted ceiling. Shadows seem to dance across the distant ceiling. A low moan rises and falls the length of the corridor, intoning sadness and despair. With your darkvision you spot a an imperfection in the wall about halfway up the hall, indicating a secret door (this is where you stop with 35ft movement). He also hears footsteps coming up the steps, far at the other end of the corridor. It sounds like four humanoids approaching, and they could be in sight within 2-3 rounds.

The creature replies to Grizel: "I think I would prefer if you DIE. Look how you scarred me, my beautiful form! Oh!" She pulls at her hair, revealing elven ears on her ugly, ravaged ghostly face.

http://i.imgur.com/e5ZqhnE.jpg
Yay for imgur!

Rolls

Victor - fire bolt attack roll - (1d20+7)

(8) + 7 = 15

Secret Roll

Secret Roll

Secret Roll

Dec 10, 2015 6:07 pm
"We have incoming from down this hall, I shout!

"Young woman, do not flee further down this hall, more individuals seem to be running this way, though we do not know if they are friend or foe," I say to Ireena. I don't know her name yet lol

I then mutter, "Between a rock and a hard place... I do not wish to perish in this chamber... when faced with an attack from both directions, a wise man withdraws."

I then Investigate(Int) the secret door, looking for traps.

After which, if I have time (I am unsure if I can do two skill checks in a turn) I will attempt to open the secret door.

Rolls

Investigate Door - (1d20+1)

(4) + 1 = 5

Dec 11, 2015 2:13 am
Terrified, Balder retreats towards Mardak.

Rolls

Save vs fear - (1d20)

(7) = 7

load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.