Character Creation Thread

load previous
Feb 6, 2016 3:32 am
Yay! I can post here now! Yes, I will play the decker. I have a character concept in mind but I'm not sure if it will be offensive or not. The concept is a human decker with mild aspergers. He doesn't like people talking near him, has hangups about textures and is more comfortable using the matrix to communicate. Will this be acceptable? I see it as a challenge, I've never played a character like this before.

I have both run and played shadow run for about 14 years. Never played 5th before. I'm learning the rules that are different from what I'm used to.

Paladin, I already created a decker but I didn't use the rules you want us to use. Is there a big difference? Do you want me to link the character sheet so you can look at it?

I am currently on vacation so I won't be super responsive until next week, but I will do my best. I am very excited about playing with everyone!
Feb 6, 2016 6:32 am
PaladinRevenant says:
I recommend that everybody have at least SOME form of combat ability (trust me, in my last group fewer than half the PCs were worth anything at all in a firefight)
I have an Automatics Skill of 2 with a specialization in assault rifles and a pistol skill of 3. I also have the "control thoughts" and "mind mob" spells which should let me force the enemy to shoot at each other. Will I be able to do much with skills at 2 or 3? I am worried a spread my skills out to thin, I have a lot of level 3 skills, and a few at level 5.
Feb 6, 2016 8:44 am
Alright, I made a former chef turned shadow runner. Here's the PDF. I can transcribe to the GP character sheet if needed.

So do we want to have characters know each other beforehand, or are we gonna start when we first meet up? I think we should all be allies at the start, at the very least.

//Handle
Feb 6, 2016 10:50 am
Fennec says:
PaladinRevenant says:
I recommend that everybody have at least SOME form of combat ability (trust me, in my last group fewer than half the PCs were worth anything at all in a firefight)
I have an Automatics Skill of 2 with a specialization in assault rifles and a pistol skill of 3. I also have the "control thoughts" and "mind mob" spells which should let me force the enemy to shoot at each other. Will I be able to do much with skills at 2 or 3? I am worried a spread my skills out to thin, I have a lot of level 3 skills, and a few at level 5.
There is nothing wrong with a skill spread like that. If you find that you're not getting enough hits with your weapons, there's always augmentations or technological help such as a smartgun link!

I gave my character some skill with pistols and also have a smartgun. However, my decker can also hack enemy guns and cause them to eject their clips or not fire at all, so I can even the odds a bit.

Fennec, as a mage you have no worries about your usefulness in a fight. Mages typically only carry guns so they don't have to always have drain to worry about in a fight, but mob control is a great way to end a fight early.

Besides, if we plan properly and do good legwork, we should be able to avoid combat altogether. Who ever heard of a shadow run where the unexpected happens? (Oh lord, I just doomed us all)
Feb 7, 2016 1:32 am
Vision has become known in the underworld as the person to go to if you need someone tracked down or information extracted from people. Vision has been involved in street level crime for 8 years now so it is quite likely that the other characters have at least heard of her. If you have any ideas about your character having a personal or professional relationship with Vision just let me know.
Feb 7, 2016 2:04 am
Also I am a little worried about how much healing the team will have. Should I switch out one of my spells for a healing spell?
Feb 7, 2016 5:14 am
I've got some ranks in first aid and a kit, I'd just need to resupply before every run. I've also got a street doc contact in case we need more serious work done.

I shuffled my contacts and skills around, so now I've got more first aid and some knowledge skills to help out if things get crazy. I also bought a car, so we can all travel together like a cozy family. New-new PDF.

My character's been in the shadows for about 7 years, but he's only recently taken up a job as a runner. He's probably one of the few people that actually care about what his food tastes like, and has to contacts to get food that isn't made from soy.

So how do Vision and Rinse know each other? If Vision frequented the place Rinse worked as a bartender/cook they could've met. If vision's anti-social tendencies caused a fight, maybe Rinse was the one to break it up? Maybe Vision was impressed by his negotiating skills and invited him on a run.

//Handle
Feb 7, 2016 5:21 am
And my guy could be a college student so any contacts made there could work. Also could be known as a guy who can hack into any system so his skills would be used pretty frequently (logic 7 with cerebral booster, specialized in hacking on the fly). So if anyone has been running the shadows or would have regularly needed access to restricted information or illicit access to hosts, they'd know f4d30ut.

One good way to get us all together is one of us gets a job and they know a guy who has skills needed for the run, and they know someone else who has other skills also needed for the run....
Last edited February 7, 2016 5:22 am
Feb 7, 2016 7:01 am
Andrea also has a GMC Bulldog, so transportation-wise we're good to go (though the back may be taken up by two roto-drones).

Since Rinse has a car, perhaps he frequents Nerisei Motors for tune-ups and repairs?
Feb 7, 2016 11:00 am
CancerMan says:
Since Rinse has a car, perhaps he frequents Nerisei Motors for tune-ups and repairs?
Yeah, makes sense to me. Rinse likes to network and being friends with a mechanic is always a good idea.
Feb 7, 2016 7:34 pm
So, I think, I have most everything I need for my character created an entered. Still need to get some equipment and working on a more detailed backstory, etc. (Although I usually develop backstory detail as the game moves along, just easier on me that way).

Anyhow, Lo Puska, is a former 'employee' of Saeder-Krupp who was born and raised in Eastern Europe. Crossed a low-level executive during a run and as a result had to flee, ending up in the Tacoma area. (Like I said, still needs work).

The character sheet should be in the library, so if anyone wants to take a peek and tell me everything I did wrong, it would be greatly appreciated.
Feb 7, 2016 8:50 pm
@Szemely
Not entirely sure, but I think you should put more points into Body. As a street sam you are likely to get shot up a lot.

As for gear, here's a handy guide from reddit. For weapons you can get whatever tickles your fancy, just remember that the accuracy limits how much you can hit.

//Handle
Feb 7, 2016 9:19 pm
I Think Vision, f4d30ut, and Lo Puska have had a strong working relationship for a while. Vision would go to f4d30ut is she needed anything hacked and would go to Lo Puska is she needed some muscle. The 3 of them probably created the team in the first place.

Vision is definitely not the kind of person to go to a fancy restaurant or club, so she probably never met Rinse before he joined the team.

I am thinking that Vision has probably shown up to Andy’s shop once or twice looking for information about some of your clients that Vision was trying to hunt down. Vision would of just mind probed Andy if they were ever less than cooperative, so Andy is probably not the biggest fan of Vision.

Let me know what you think about these ideas.
Feb 7, 2016 9:31 pm
Body is way more important than strength unless you want to specialize in melee weapons.

I guess I'll post what I'm thinking of for a beginning background for my character...

-------------------------------------------------------
Max "f4d30ut" Jacobs

Max grew up near Tacoma in a near middle class family. Max was always interested in technology and 21st century media. Max could talk for hours about computers and star wars. Nothing else seemed to matter much to max, mostly because he was not very good at social interaction and much preferred playing around in the matrix. Maxwas diagnosed with a mild case of aspergers syndrome when he was young but was able to get along well with support from his parents and various school provided counselors.

Max's interest in the matrix eventually lead him to experiment in different ways to make systems do what he wanted and pirate his favorite jedi-related media. Max usually stuck to small time hacking which stayed under the radar until one day when his father lost his job. Max's family was dependent on income from both his parents so he took to the matrix and hacked some bank accounts from some gang bangers local to his neighborhood. Max's intention was to siphon off just enough nuyen to help his parents cover rent and groceries for the month. It would have been simple if max had been careful with his data trail. The gang's decker was able to trace the money to max's parents account. The gang's retribution was swift and merciless. Max's home was torched, his parents couldn't make it out of the building in time. Max himself was beaten so severely he ended up with partial deafness in one ear and missing an eye.

Since that day max devoted his time to being a better decker. He became more committed to making a living through illegal decking. With new eyes, new ears, implanted synaptic boosters and a sleep regulator he has become a decker of some small reputation.

Currently max attends some online courses at the local community college, mostly because he likes learning and he can focus on computer technology and software. He also attends weekly therapeutic groups designed to help people with aspergers to learn more about social interaction and function better. Max has made some friends through the group but mostly keeps to himself. He would stay with a group of shadow runners as long ad his skills are needed and he can keep proving that he's a better decker than anyone else out there.
---------------------------------------

What do you all think? Any ideas on ways I can be connected to anyone else? I could know the rigger through community college classes on drone software. If anyone else has a near obsessive fascination with star wars we could be part of the same fan club!
Feb 7, 2016 9:38 pm
Fennec says:
I Think Vision, f4d30ut, and Lo Puska have had a strong working relationship for a while. Vision would go to f4d30ut is she needed anything hacked and would go to Lo Puska is she needed some muscle. The 3 of them probably created the team in the first place.

Vision is definitely not the kind of person to go to a fancy restaurant or club, so she probably never met Rinse before he joined the team.

I am thinking that Vision has probably shown up to Andy’s shop once or twice looking for information about some of your clients that Vision was trying to hunt down. Vision would of just mind probed Andy if they were ever less than cooperative, so Andy is probably not the biggest fan of Vision.

Let me know what you think about these ideas.
I like this idea. Since decking nowadays requires more physical closeness to the target, we can say that until a serious team is assembled and f4d30ut is needed for more than de encryption and small time hacking nobody has ever seen him in person before. Just some added flavor.
Feb 7, 2016 9:52 pm
Fennec says:
Pssh, Rinse only works at runner bars and lower-end restaurants. He's a runner now, so he can't really work at a legitimate place anymore.

I'm fine with first meeting Vision, f4d30ut, and Puska on a job. We all know Vinyl, so he's probably the one that set us all up with the job. Maybe some kind of smash-and-grab job that made use of everyone's skills, and since the job went so well we decided to make a team.

//Handle
Feb 7, 2016 10:10 pm
handle says:
Fennec says:
Pssh, Rinse only works at runner bars and lower-end restaurants. He's a runner now, so he can't really work at a legitimate place anymore.

I'm fine with first meeting Vision, f4d30ut, and Puska on a job. We all know Vinyl, so he's probably the one that set us all up with the job. Maybe some kind of smash-and-grab job that made use of everyone's skills, and since the job went so well we decided to make a team.

//Handle
For people not that familiar with shadow run, most groups stick together because they all meld well, have a good spread of skills, and trust each other.

As long as we can develop that in character, we're golden. Unless we start the game after we already had our first job together. I'm cool either way. It makes a lot of sense that we called rinse in because none of us have any idea of how to negotiate with Johnsons
Feb 8, 2016 12:24 am
I would be uncomfortable working with someone that I couldn't trust, so resorting to mind probes on future teammates isn't something I'd recommend.

Instead I'd suggest that Andrea would offer Vision and any of the other runners a place to stay if they needed it. Perhaps her contact with Vinyl established Andy's shop as a minor safehouse which sets up the hook for some familiarity with the mechanic, even if she wasn't part of your first job.
Feb 8, 2016 1:57 am
CancerMan says:
I would be uncomfortable working with someone that I couldn't trust, so resorting to mind probes on future teammates isn't something I'd recommend.
That's what I'm sayin. It's alright to be anti-social, but you gotta at least have a professional relationship with your team.

//Handle
Feb 8, 2016 2:12 am
Exactly. F4d30ut has a medium lifestyle and is very happy keeping to himself until a job presents itself. I also got a couple months of a low lifestyle for a safe house. Can't be too careful
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.