Character Creation Thread

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
Feb 8, 2016 7:41 am
CancerMan says:
I would be uncomfortable working with someone that I couldn't trust, so resorting to mind probes on future teammates isn't something I'd recommend.
Ok, i was just throwing out an idea. But you guys are probably right, out teem needs to trust each other. I would say Vision did not know Andy before they started this team.
Feb 8, 2016 8:27 pm
Sorry that I've been unresponsive. I never noticed that the thread had moved on to additional pages, so I thought no-one else was talking. I don't have time right now to read through everything, but I'll try to do it this evening.
Feb 9, 2016 2:52 am
Let me know if my character looks right. I don't know how different the rules you wanted us to use are from the normal ones. I'm willing to make changes this week after I get home
Feb 9, 2016 7:17 am
Looking at Rinse's PDF, I get the feeling I did my Fake Licenses wrong. I'll have to revisit my budget, and may end up re-prioritizing things.
Feb 9, 2016 7:36 am
CancerMan says:
Looking at Rinse's PDF, I get the feeling I did my Fake Licenses wrong. I'll have to revisit my budget, and may end up re-prioritizing things.
It probably depends on the GM, but I gave myself a license for anything I thought wasn't legal. A the bartending and chef's probably aren't necessary, but I know that you're gonna need one for each type of weapon you have. Except for tasers, I think.

It would suck to get stopped at a security checkpoint and busted for not having a license before we even get to the job!

//Handle
Feb 9, 2016 3:46 pm
I believe with 5e you need a license for anything restricted. If it is forbidden you can't start with it.
Feb 9, 2016 3:49 pm
A few notes:

Creation System:
If you used the creation system from the core book, you're fine. Though you do have the option to reprioritize things if you like. The Sum-To-10 system is pretty simple.
Priotity A = 4 points
Priority B = 3 points
Priority C = 2 points
Priority D = 1 point
Priority E = 0 points
If you used the creation system from the book, then you would have one of each priority: (A+B+C+D+E) = 10
Alternately, if you wanted to have a character with all 5 areas prioritized at C, each of them would be 2 points, and that all adds up to 10 points.
I really like this system, because it allows me to sacrifice a little in one area to bring up a little in another area. I made a character that I wanted to be a bit more balanced across the board, so I made her B, B, C, C, E.

Licences
Licences have to be tied to a specific SIN. If you have multiple SINs (real or fake) then you need to specify which one the licenses belong to. This is only likely to come up if you get arrested or if you try to go through a security checkpoint (and when have Shadowrunners ever gone through a checkpoint?)

I don't remember how the rule is written, but I'm going to run it that a single license will cover a class of firearm or weapon (pistols, SMGs, Rifles, blades, etc.) or a single piece of restricted cyberware. Remember that you only need to have a license for something if it is marked with an R in its availability code. If it doesn't have a letter, you don't need a license, if it's marked with an F you can't get a license unless you are a member of the military or corporate security.

Also, you only need a license if you get caught.

Driver's licenses will be required if you are driving yourself. Many people have cars that drive themselves, and don't need licenses if they let the car drive. But really, if a cop tries to pull over a shadowrunner, chances are that driving without a license are the least of your troubles.

Rinse would not need a personal bartending license unless he actively works as a bartender. He would not need a license to be a chef, but a restaurant would need a license to operate.

Seriously though, don't get too terribly caught up on the licenses. I'm going to try to run this a little looser anyway, since there's such a lag in responses dealing with posting on the internet.

Lifestyle
Similar to licenses, lifestyles Medium and above need to be tied to a SIN (real or fake).

Character interactions:
So, Rinse knows Andy because Andy has worked on his car. Everybody has done a couple of jobs together, at least enough to know that the others aren't likely to abandon you in a tough situation. Does anybody else have any off-the-job connections with each other that I missed?

Character approval:
I'm going to give everybody a chance to check over their characters and make any adjustments to priorities, licenses, lifestyles, and whatever else. When you say in this thread that you're ready, I'll check over your character and do approvals. Then we can get to playing.
Feb 9, 2016 3:57 pm
Oh right, I meant to ask everybody what your characters do in their down-time. Do you have families, jobs, lovers, plot hooks?
Feb 9, 2016 3:58 pm
Maybe Andrea knows F4d30ut from message boards, whether social talking about Star Wars or educational through online classes. Andy's not above taking a few courses at Tacoma Community, just to keep her hand in.

When not on a run, Andrea works in her automotive shop, ideally being a legitimate business front to bring in some nuyen and "keep up appearances." She'll also tinker with her drone(s) and Bulldog to see what can be made better than new.
Last edited February 9, 2016 3:59 pm
Feb 9, 2016 4:07 pm
If a run comes up that has to be done right away, what is the likelihood of Andy's van or one of the drones being unavailable due to being in the middle of being "tweaked"?
Feb 9, 2016 4:11 pm
If my character is off, I can't see it. So please look over my char for readiness
Feb 9, 2016 4:12 pm
Good question. I'd say the van and at least one drone would be ready to go. The others, if any, may be in various states of disrepair depending on how far I get; could be as simple as putting the shell back on, or maybe it's completely taken apart.
Feb 9, 2016 4:24 pm
CancerMan says:
Good question. I'd say the van and at least one drone would be ready to go. The others, if any, may be in various states of disrepair depending on how far I get; could be as simple as putting the shell back on, or maybe it's completely taken apart.
If speed is a factor, f4d30ut has some skills with electronics and hardware. He could easily help pit a drone together.

And I will not able to use the internet after this. My flight goes back home today after spending a week at Mardi gras. I won't be able to check anything or make changes to my character until probably late tonight or tomorrow morning.
Feb 9, 2016 5:06 pm
Don't worry, I'm not planning on leaving you defenseless or useless, I just thought that it might be an interesting wrinkle.
Feb 9, 2016 8:05 pm
I think I'm ready with my character. Please look it over and let me know if I've done things wrong!
Feb 9, 2016 10:09 pm
Alright I did one last edit, and added some hooks. The PDF cut off what wrote, so I'll post the hooks here.

Yakuza: They might still be after him for killing their boss, but it should just be only one or two people since it happened so long ago.

Family: Marcus has 4 siblings, but the only real contact they have had are sending holiday trids. Marcus has been contacting them more since he feels more secure that the mafia won't kill them all.

Sasha (40): Runs a homeless shelter / soup kitchen.
Lebo (36): Somewhere in the Barrens, probably an older member of a gang.
Frankie (35): Bodyguard for mid-tier politicians.
Cathrine (33): Experienced response team member at DocWagon.

Lovers: Has a thing for a hardass orc named 'Glaive' who stops by for a drink every so often. She's also a runner, but doesn't like to talk about work. Weilds a huge polearm, hence the nickname.

Downtime: Works as a bartender/cook at 'The Cherry Lounge', a dark and private bar that is a common meeting place for runners and their clients.

//Handle
Feb 9, 2016 11:55 pm
Handle, do you conduct any runner business in the Cherry Lounge? Do you hang out there in your off time, or do you try to avoid it when you're not on shift? Also, I noticed you have a point of Notoriety. I didn't see anything on your sheet that would mechanically start you off with one. Did I miss something, or did you just put it in there for flavor?
Feb 10, 2016 12:02 am
DarthOingoBoingo, I see a fixer on your sheet, is that Vinyl or another fixer? Looks good.
Feb 10, 2016 12:06 am
Oh, I should mention that I try not to do any runner business at my automotive shop. And if any of the team wants to hang out, I'd suggest the same.

And do let me know if we're running low on stuff like food or toilet paper. Geez, don't take the last cheese snack and leave the empty box.
Feb 10, 2016 12:07 am
CancerMan, I approved Andy. Does she have any humans in her life? Lovers? Friends? Exes? Siblings?
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.