Character Creation Thread

load previous
Feb 10, 2016 12:14 am
None. Her parents died in an unfortunate freeway accident during the rain, and she has no siblings. She considers her drones to be her sisters, her Bulldog and Growler as pets.
Feb 10, 2016 1:18 am
So, I've updated Lo with a higher body rating (thanks for the tip) and now working on getting the poor slob some equipment. Story being that he's on the run from a low-level Saeder-Krupp who has connections higher up within the company. So I'm guessing he's acquired a fake SIN somewhere along the line. I can't, however, seem to find a cost associated with such an item (or fake licenses for that matter). Is this something that is purchased along with equipment at start?

I'm thinking Lo lives a low-level lifestyle, moving from hovel to hovel every few months, just to keep any SK creeps that might be looking for him. Stops by Andy's place every now and then to see what she and the others might be up to and to pass along his new place of residence if he's moved since he's last seen them.

No family in the area (any family he had is still in Eastern Europe), works as a 'messenger' for one of the local EE gangs (same one as his 'gang runner' contact belongs to - if that'll fly?), and spends his down time trying to dig up any information he can find on his Saeder-Krupp nemesis.
Last edited February 10, 2016 11:54 pm
Feb 10, 2016 3:14 am
In my version of the Core Rulebook (it can vary slightly depending on the printing) there is a section labeled ID and Credit on page 442.

Fake SIN (Rating 1-6) | Availability: Rating*3F | Price: Rating*2500¥
Fake License (Rating 1-6) | Availability: Rating*3F | Price: Rating*200¥
Feb 10, 2016 3:21 am
Awesome, thanks! I was reading on page 367-368 about Fake Sins and at the end of the section it says "For availability and prices of purchasing Fake SINs, see page 367", which of course, is the section I had just read...
Feb 10, 2016 4:14 am
PaladinRevenant says:
Handle, do you conduct any runner business in the Cherry Lounge? Do you hang out there in your off time, or do you try to avoid it when you're not on shift? Also, I noticed you have a point of Notoriety. I didn't see anything on your sheet that would mechanically start you off with one. Did I miss something, or did you just put it in there for flavor?
The point comes from the 'Bad Luck' quality, I'm guessing it's known that he can be pretty unlucky. I guessing a run went bad due to bad luck, and pretty much everyone remembers it. Maybe a run involving sabotaging a food factory went sideways, and a large container of marshmallow fluff ended up exploding. The runners failed the mission, plus they had to escape while covered in sugary goop.

While working he keeps an ear open for any jobs, but he knows better than to pry into other people's business - the Cherry Lounge is supposed to be a secure meeting point after all. When he's not working he'll meet his clients at the lounge. He doesn't avoid it, he likes the people there.
Feb 10, 2016 9:11 am
I updated some stuff (just cosmetic, changed 20th century trivia to star wars) and added an avatar. aside from making Vinyl the fixer I know, the other contacts I have are a bartender... let's call her Sadie, she's an elf at a local pub he likes to go to (to sit in privacy and drink, of course) she has a bit of a soft spot for fadeout due to his disability, but isn't too loyal beyond that. as for the janitor contact, his name is Ben, he's a troll who is in the same support group as fadeout.

I can't think of too much else I need to explain. I just got home, it's late here and I need sleep, so it's entirely likely I missed something. If anyone else has question of ideas on how to flesh out relationships, let's do it. this is a lot of fun as is, imagine how much fun actually playing will be.
Feb 11, 2016 3:45 am
Vision’s only family members are her mom and her older sister. Her mom was put into a psychiatric institution 8 years ago, but Vision has never visited her mom. It is possible that her mom was released at some point, vision tries not to think about her mom much. Vision’s sister ran away 10 years ago, Vision is not actively looking for her sister but dose wish that they will be reunited one day. The closest thing to a true friend vision has (other than the team) is a fence named Lauren. Lauren met Vision during her early years on the street. Lauren took a liking to Vision and has helped her out of many tight spots. (Lauren is a guy)

When Vision is not on or looking for a job she is normally training her mind and body. She exercises, meditates and reads almost anything she can get her hands on. Vision tries to keep up to date on the news floating around the criminal underworld as well as studies psychology and magic. When she needs to relax she writes her own music.

Vision does not like opening up to people, so nobody on the team would know her real name. Vision also does not like large crowds and has the quality "Social Stress" which is triggered when she witnesses overt racism. But although she is quiet she is normally friendly and agreeable.

My character sheet is ready, I am open to any suggestions on how to improve my character.
Feb 11, 2016 1:12 pm
Szemely, I still don't see any gear listed on Lo Puska's sheet. Also, you will need to take 1 point of Noteriety to go along with the Uneducated quality. Also, please explain just a bit about why he is uneducated. Has he just always been poor? You said he was a "former 'employee'" of Saeder-Krupp, does that mean off-the-record deniable-asset kind of "employee"?

Fennec, when I look at Vision's character sheet, I just see a bunch of empty boxes. Are you sure you submitted the right one? I didn't see a PDF link or anything looking back through the thread.

Handle, I went ahead and approved your character sheet based on the last PDF that you linked. Could you double check the one here and make sure that everything lines up?
Feb 11, 2016 2:54 pm
Added the gear and weapons on my sheet, it all looks good to me. Also posting as my character because everyone else is doing it and I easily cave to peer pressure.

So me and Andrea (does she go by Andrea or Andy?) know each other from her shop. Probably more like friendly acquaintances than actual friends. The fact that she works a normal job as well as running the shadows makes her seem more trustworthy to Marcus.

F4d30ut don't have much in common, but they probably talk about local news or some new technology. When Marcus doesn't know much about the subject he is content with just asking questions and listening to F4d30ut ramble about how the latest cyberdeck is a huge scam (if that's something he would talk about).

Vision reminds Marcus of his older brother Lebo, so he's got mixed feelings about her. On one hand she seems like a loose cannon, but on the other she is really good at what she does. Ultimately he respects her, but hopes her emotions don't get the better of her while on a job.

Lo Puska and Marcus probably have a very professional relationship, as they both have (somewhat) business backgrounds. I can see them having a drink together after a job swapping stories, but not talking about anything too serious.

//Handle
Last edited February 11, 2016 3:51 pm
Feb 11, 2016 7:34 pm
Something weird happened to my character sheet. Every field was blank but it would not let me edit it. Luckily I had a copy of my character on my computer. I remade the character sheet and resubmitted it.
Feb 11, 2016 7:52 pm
"Andy" is shorthand and is used by anyone in any informal setting. Sometimes it provides some comedy as referred customers arrive expecting to talk to an "Andy" and meet Andrea.
Feb 11, 2016 9:05 pm
I like Handle's idea of stating how there character feels about the rest of the team.

Rinse: Vision has a lot of respect for the way Rinse can control a conversation and use his charms to get people to trust him. Vision can be relatively charismatic when she puts her mind to it, but it is not comfortable for her. She looks at social situations from a technical viewpoint. However Vision senses that Rinse is wary of her, which in turn makes her wary of him.

Andy: I am not really sure what the exact state of Vision and Andy's relationship would be. CancerMan, you should let me know if you have any ideas about their relationship, if not we can just let it evolve naturally during gameplay.

Lo Puska: Vision has a very professional relationship with Lo Puska. She feels comfortable relying on his combat ability and always feels safer when he is around.

F4d30ut: Vision likes F4d30ut the most. She sees both herself and F4d30ut as awkward geniuses, both of them are masters of a realm that nobody else on the team can see or understand. At least that is how Vision sees it, but she is definitely thinking a little too highly of herself.
Feb 11, 2016 10:24 pm
ooh, can I play too?

Rinse: fadeout is in awe and wonder at how easy it is for rinse to talk to people and understand social situations like it is second nature. fadeout struggles with understanding the finer points of relating to other people and rinse seems like a wizard to him. fadeout tries to be as social and friendly to rinse as he can be, but it just comes out as technical garble and missed cues that rinse's eyes are glazing over and he's not really interested.

Vision: fadeout likes vision ok enough, even though he doesn't understand anything about magic beyond what they show in the Karl Kombatmage movies. he is glad that there is someone else on the team that doesn't seem too comfortable in social situations. they're both awkward and crass, the only difference is that fadeout doesn't know how awkward he is sometimes.

Andy: fadeout and andy both share a love for technology. I can see them both working together on projects and talking about nerd stuff. fadeout relaxes much more around people when he can use his technical skills in situations where "small talk" isn't too likely to happen.

Lo Puska: fadeout is wary about this one. given lo's gang background, fadeout already has an inherent dislike toward Lo (intolerance towards gang members). fadeout knows better to express these feelings verbally but every now and then he may seem more distant towards Lo or not engaging with him as much. however, Lo has been able to hold his own on a run, so fadeout trusts him enough to do his job (more like let the thug do the thug thing that thugs are good at, and I'll be over here doing the important stuff) but not much else.
Feb 12, 2016 12:11 am
There was an earlier comment that Andy wasn't on the original team, which is perfectly fine. I think one way to work her in with the current group and improve relationships is through Vinyl.

If this is okay, I'd like to say that Andy's original relationship with Vinyl was as a repair shop and safehouse. Andy would know Vinyl through some of her contacts; perhaps Dorothy Wedge (human streetracer and car enthusiast) or Hephzibah Bicker (orc police officer) know Vinyl and passed along her information as a trustworthy resource. For her part, Andy welcomes the influx of nuyen on these side deals to take care of vehicles, drones, weapons, and the runners themselves.

The original team could be frequent visitors, dropping by after their earlier runs for repair and to lay low before moving on (don't know how many runs the team would have done prior to Andy joining). So based on their proximity, Andy would feel about them in the following ways:

F4d30ut: Andy loves tapping F4d30ut's mind, especially when it comes to figuring out how things (anything!) can be made better-than-new. Andy doesn't know anything computer-related beyond what she uses for standard superficial use, so having someone around who can talk hardware and software is much appreciated. If F4d30ut can secure her shop from outside hacking, he is more than welcome there, even during off-hours. Plus, there are similarities between jacking into the matrix and plugging oneself into a vehicle, so there's a kinship in that.

Lo Puska: Andy holds Lo Puska with a measure of respect and enjoys any conversation about firearms and their functions. She is particularly interested in how to best translate his combat abilities for her drones to make them competitive, and appreciates any input on weapons that are both durable and efficient. In addition, it never hurts to have another knowledgeable source for firearms and ammunition. Andy has some skill as an Armorer, and it's not much of a leap to find her wanting to tinker with weapons.

Rinse: Andy met Rinse before she knew he was a runner, but only as a customer. Thanks to Vinyl's connections, the two are probably more acquainted than anyone else; Andy's kitchen is stocked as best as possible given the infrequent visits, in the off-chance that Rinse could prep something. Andy would likely visit The Cherry Lounge for a break, and while she loves everything the dwarf cooks, her favorite dish is ramen (the real stuff, not that dried crap).

Vision: Andy gives Vision whatever space she needs, so long as the elf respects the personal boundaries of herself and any runners they work with. Since they both have no real family, Andy feels a certain kinship especially due to their relative age. She wishes Vision would try to connect with others on some personal level, but understands that even Andy's attachment to her vehicles and drones would be considered strange. Given this, Vision is welcome at the shop at any time. Andy just asks that Vision keep the music volume down during the late hours or use headphones.
Feb 12, 2016 2:49 am
PaladinRevenant says:
Szemely, I still don't see any gear listed on Lo Puska's sheet. Also, you will need to take 1 point of Noteriety to go along with the Uneducated quality. Also, please explain just a bit about why he is uneducated. Has he just always been poor? You said he was a "former 'employee'" of Saeder-Krupp, does that mean off-the-record deniable-asset kind of "employee"?
Gear will be entered onto the sheet tomorrow. Also like what the rest of the group is doing with the relationship with the other runners and will jump on board as well tomorrow. Apologies to everyone for my lack of involvement so far but things look to be improving time wise pretty quickly in the next day or two.
Feb 12, 2016 5:21 pm
for all the players here who don't have a whole lot of experience with shadowrun or just want to know more about the world and setting, check out the Arcology podcast. the first few episodes explain what shadowrun is and breaks down the different parts of a shadow run and the different roles players can play and how to play things like a face, decker, rigger, etc.

I've been listening to it, and I like it a lot. they even have advice for GMs of shadowrun if paladin is interested.
Feb 13, 2016 12:31 am
Lo Puska entered the "Borton Orphanage and Correctional Facility" in Eastern Europe at the tender age of four. Whether he was abandoned by his parents or actually orphaned is still a mystery to him, and one that he's less concerned with the older he gets. Spending fourteen years in such a place obviously had some influence on the young man. In order to survive in such a harsh environment one needed 'friends' and the better armed your 'friends' were the better things could be.

Starting off as a simple mule for The Bandas, one of the established gangs within the facility, he quickly proved his worth. Moving contraband throughout the facility was easy for him, he was small, and didn't draw a lot of attention to himself. And who would suspect a four your old of moving cartons of smuggled cigarettes about the place? The older he got, the more dangerous (and lucrative), the contraband became. Cigarettes, fermented drinks of various types, drugs, and every type of hand-made or smuggled-in weapon one could think of.

Of course rival gangs would occasionally catch him on a run and give him a good beating (while nicking the goods as well), but he was soon able to dish out as much punishment as he was receiving (with the help of a few choice concealed blades of course) and started to make a name for himself. He quickly rose through the ranks of The Bandas reaching second in command before it all came crashing to an end.

When he awoke on his 18th birthday, or at least what the authorities in the facility told him was his 18th birthday, he was greeted by the Wartron (Warden/Matron) and handed a certificate stating that "Lo Puska has been fully rehabilitated and/or reached adulthood." Given a few basic necessities and a few nuyen he was unceremoniously taken to the entrance of the facility and booted into the street. Before he could even comprehend what had just happened he was approached by a well dressed and neatly groomed man on the street calling himself Ross Ficko.

Ross apparently had what he called 'talent acquisition' people within the facility and a few of them thought that Lo's skills would be useful for the type of business Ross needed taken care of. The jobs were simple at first but quickly became more difficult and it wasn't long before Lo put two and two together. All of the jobs he worked for Ross in some way, shape, or form benefitted the interests of Saeder-Krupp. Through some of his own connections he had made since leaving the BOCF Lo was able to determine that Ross was a low level SK executive, most likely part of the 'Competitor Deterrence' division. This information didn't keep Lo from working jobs for Ross, the money was good, and the man always provided Lo with quality equipment to use.

One such job, however, would signal the end of Lo's employment and his subsequent fleeing to the UCAS. From the very start Lo had a bad feeling about this particular job, it wasn't the type of work he would normally do for Ross, and the intel he had been given was obviously rushed and incomplete. Walking into the ambush confirmed his suspicion. How he escaped is a mystery even to him, but with some of the contacts he had made since leaving the BOCF, and help from the 'Former SK Employee Underground Network' he somehow ended up in Tacoma. His only contact was another former SK 'employee'.

Rinse: Lo admires Marcus' business like attitude when carrying out a run and considers him an ally among those he has met during his time in Tacoma. Enjoys the occasional after run beer but has very little contact with the man outside of their work.

Vision: Doesn't know much about Vision other than she does a damned fine job during their runs; and that's good enough for him.

F4d30ut: Another fine team member but one that Lo has a hard time pinning down. Lo's not entirely sure, but every now and then he seems to catch a suspicious glance directed his way, but writes it off to F4d30ut being a snob towards a lowly ruffian. Doesn't have a problem working with F4d30ut as long as the runs keep going well.

Andy: Lo considers Andy to be the only irreplaceable member of the team, himself included, but he'd never actually admit that. Andy's shop is a regular stop for Lo when not occupied with runs or 'work' with one of the local gangs. He enjoys talking about weapons and bouncing ideas about gun and drone modifications back and forth with her.

EDIT: It appear that I am unable to edit my Notoriety value. I can enter a '1' for the value but it seems to set back to '0' when I save.
Last edited February 13, 2016 1:57 am
Feb 13, 2016 2:20 am
szemely says:
It appear that I am unable to edit my Notoriety value. I can enter a '1' for the value but it seems to set back to '0' when I save.
I have had the same problem, it also happens with the street cred field. I just put it in the notes field at the bottom of the sheet.
Feb 13, 2016 2:21 am
Fennec says:
I have had the same problem, it also happens with the street cred field. I just put it in the notes field at the bottom of the sheet.
I just reported it in the "Bugs" sub-forum. I'm sure Keleth will have it worked out in no time.
Feb 13, 2016 4:33 pm
so we should all be ready and good to go by now, right? I had the same issue with the character sheets not tracking numbers on the numenera sheet. apparently it was an easy fix.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.