Chapter 1 - The City

load previous
Oct 20, 2015 2:25 am
"Kel, let's head back towards canned goods, I think bottled water is back that way too", John says, pointing over near the collapsed shelf on the other end of the building.
Oct 20, 2015 2:58 am
"Grab a cart?" Kel looks at John
Oct 20, 2015 3:38 am
"Yes, but, let's just be careful. I have a feeling once we get some supplies together in a cart we may draw more attention to what we have", John says. He grabs a cart and the two of you set off to the other end of the store, weaving around people and grabbing what supplies you can think to get as you go.

Soon you get over to the section with the half-collapsed shelving and you see that one of the large metal shelving structures has buckled and is leaning against the other next to it. A huge cache of canned goods is underneath this, you could hunch over and crawl in to get to it probably.
Oct 20, 2015 3:43 am
Everyone out at the cars. Jacob, and Howard, give me a Logic test. Roll two positive dice and one negative.
Oct 20, 2015 5:22 am
Howard, his eyes darting everywhere, tries to spot any danger. As a result, he overlooks whatever it is (but takes no stress).
Last edited October 20, 2015 5:23 am

Rolls

Logic test (2 positive) - (2d6)

(42) = 6

Logic test (1 negative) - (1d6)

(2) = 2

Oct 20, 2015 1:07 pm
Kel squeezes through the collapsed shelves...thinking that John would be the better one to guard.
Oct 20, 2015 9:58 pm
Getting a little edgy as Kel and John work there way through the store, Jacob watches the crowd for any signs of trouble. "See anything, Howard?"

LOG: 4

EDIT: BOOM!
Last edited October 20, 2015 9:58 pm

Rolls

Two Positive - (1d6, 1d6)

1d6 : (2) = 2

1d6 : (1) = 1

One Negative - (1d6)

(1) = 1

Oct 21, 2015 3:47 am
-- Inside --
John stands guard at the shelves as Kel starts to squeeze in and hands loads of cans back to John. He is also able to find a spilled open crate of beef jerky bags and grabs a few of them.

[ GM: Kel, make me a dexterity check, It's going to be 2 white dice, and 2 black dice. ]

-- Outside --
Howard is busy keeping an eye out towards the store and doesn't notice the group of people walk up. But Jacob sees them coming. It's a man, a woman, and two kids. One is maybe a teenager, the other maybe 10 or 12. The man is leading the group and walking towards you with his hand up in the air as if trying to get your attention, but you think this may be because he noticed you saw him. Jacob also notices his other hand is behind his back, and the woman and children are not making eye contact with you at all. Almost trying not to look right at you.

"H...hello. Hi. I...I was wondering if you could help us", he says as he keeps walking closer. He and the other three are maybe 15 feet from you at this point.
Oct 21, 2015 6:49 am
Howard turns around at this voice and raises his shotgun, aiming at the speaker.
"WAIT RIGHT THERE! We don't want any trouble. You can ask us for help from right there. We've seen some crazy stuff tonight and we're feeling a little trigger happy, so it'll be safer for everyone if you just stay back!" Howard will hiss an aside to Annette, without taking his eyes off the group. "Annette, look around and let me know if anyone else is coming up to us other than these four..."
Oct 21, 2015 12:58 pm
Kel squeezes through the narrow opening...

DEX 2
Last edited October 21, 2015 12:58 pm

Rolls

[+] Two Dice - (1d6, 1d6)

1d6 : (2) = 2

1d6 : (4) = 4

[-] Two Dice - (1d6, 1d6)

1d6 : (5) = 5

Oct 21, 2015 9:57 pm
Following Howard's lead Jacob raises his pistol. "Like the man said! Each of you stop where you're at and state your business." Taking a quick look behind him before continuing, "And let's see that other hand. NICE. AND. FUCKING. SLOW!!"

Jacob almost feels like a bad-ass with exception of the almost crippling fear he's feeling.
Oct 22, 2015 3:51 am
-- Inside --
You've been getting a good amount of goods out to John as he has been filling up the cart. A few scrapes and cuts here and there but so far nothing to major (your remaining stresses). As you are bringing one more arm-full of goods out to John you hear the shelves start to creak and groan. The metal twists and bends above as the weight of everything starts to collapse the rest of the way. Luckily you are able to scramble your way back out and avoid a more serious injury. John checks to make sure you're okay. You have a cart that has a ton of canned goods, some jerky, and you also found a bulk pack of 6 mag-light flashlights over in this area of the store.

John looks up towards the registers and sees that all of the employees here as well have given up working and left. "Should we attempt to get more or bolt now? It looks like they may have some camping gear in that back corner" , he says as he points to the back corner across the store. "What do you think, Kel?"

-- Outside --
The man, seeing the guns leveled at him raises his hand from behind his back and you see a small pistol in it. It dangles loose on his finger. "I'm....look. Look, I'm sorry. Shit's going down, please, lower the guns, I have kids here for gods sake. I...we just need a car. We need to get out of here. I need to get my family safe. Please, don't shoot", the man says. The woman behind him is kind of cowering behind him and holding the kids tightly. "We...we've just gotten desperate. I don't know what's going on but some...things...have come after us. We need a car to get us out of here", he pleads with you. The pistol, a fairly small caliber gun, still hangs on his finger. He has both of his hands raise over his head, palms out.
Oct 22, 2015 9:55 am
"Yeah, let's get a bit but be quick about it." Kel says as he looks at his scratches
Oct 22, 2015 6:54 pm
Painfully aware of the burning car in the parking lot, Howard remains paranoid that this is a ruse to distract them from attack on some other front. But at the same time, he's thinking of his kids and is sympathetic to this man, trying to take care of his family. He relaxes a little bit, bringing the gun down from his shoulder (though it is still aimed at the man).

"I understand. Zombies, right? It's hard to believe, but it's happening. We're trying to get our families and get out, too." He flicks his eyes in Annette's direction.

Howard is not going to volunteer to take these people, even though with a tight fit there'd be room at the moment (but not with all the spouses and children). None of the cars are his, and it's Andrew's family cabin, so it's up to Andrew to decide on that front. So he's just talking, trying to defuse the tension of this confrontation.

Is there a roll I could/should make for assessing someone and their motivations?
Last edited October 22, 2015 6:56 pm

Rolls

Empathy check (positive dice) - (2d6)

(15) = 6

Empathy check (negative dice) - (2d6)

(64) = 10

Oct 22, 2015 7:39 pm
It's going to be Empathy. I also just added a screen from the PHB to the how to section showing that list. The check for this situation would be two white dice and two negative.

Justification:
Positive: (default, gun encourages honesty)
Negative: (tense situation, your judging/sarcastic trait)
Oct 22, 2015 9:04 pm
I've added the rolls to my previous post; my read is one success and two SOCIAL stress - is that right?
Oct 22, 2015 11:13 pm
Jacob struggles to remain calm. He didn't care for shooting threatening zombie creatures and is not sure he could pull the trigger on an actual person.

"Drop it or put it away and then we'll do the same with ours." Noticing the children huddling with the women behind Jacob continues, "Come on, man. No one wants to hurt anyone here, we all just want our families safe."

CHA: 2 for a persuasion check.

1+ as default, 1+ for the manly way Jacob holds a gun, 1- standoff, 1- generally shy trait.

OUCH, no successes and one stress, yea?

Last edited October 22, 2015 11:14 pm

Rolls

Positive Dice - (1d6, 1d6)

1d6 : (4) = 4

Negative Dice - (1d6, 1d6)

1d6 : (6) = 6

Oct 23, 2015 3:27 am
-- Inside --
You make your way over to the camping gear. This area is unsurprisingly picked over. You do manage to find an LED lantern, two sleeping bags, and a small camp stove. You shove them in the cart quickly. "Is there anything else we should look for in the store?", John asks Kel.

-- Outside --
The man slowly starts to put his gun back behind him, "Okay, okay. Just...don't shoot. I'm putting it away. Just please don't shoot. I have kids here", he pleads as he tucks the gun away and his hand comes back from behind his back, the gun is gone. He puts both his hands back up in the air."Please, could you give us a car. We have no way out of here. We need a vehicle."

[Note for Howard]
PhantomNimbus sent a note to spaceseeker19
Jacob, given the stress of the situation is not able to determine the motives or honesty of this guy.
Oct 27, 2015 3:09 pm
(Sorry, I didn't see the last post earlier for whatever reason).

"No, we better get back before things escalate here" Kel says as he wheels the cart back towards the exit.
Oct 27, 2015 5:43 pm
Howard looks to the others - Jacob and Andrew - meaningfully. He feels he doesn't have a say, as he doesn't own any of the cars. He considers how else they might help this family, but so far he's coming up with nothing.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.