Jorune: Strange Allies game (Prologue and Seq 1.1)

load previous
Oct 21, 2015 8:36 pm
Gythaar, too, knows that they have been dismissed. He rises and bows respectfully to the Keshtia. Noticing Miniri's expression he has a good idea what she is thinking, as her thoughts must surely mirror his own. He looks the crugar in he eyes and tries to communicate wordlessly: Trust me. Trust them...for now.
Oct 22, 2015 8:10 pm
Jates the boccord bodyguard waits for a moment as the other boccord returns to the keshtia's side and gives a nod. Then Jates leads Marik, Miniri, Gythaar and Barragar out a back entrance and you begin to wend your way down the hill toward Ardoth Bay.

"My esteemed mistress" (he says this sincerely, without any irony or sarcasm) "likes to think everything has to do with politics. I am not convinced. I think sometimes there are simpler reasons for things to happen. I'm going to show you what I've found, and what I've heard." That said, he does seem a bit paranoid about people following you, as he does a fair amount of apparently aimless wandering which is actually doubling back and circling to make sure to identify any "tails."

The light sparkles off of the waters of Ardoth Bay spread below you, filled with the ships from many nations. The streets of Ardoth in mid-morning are filled with people of all races, and all sorts are evident as you descend the hill into the less affluent areas of the capital. A boccord beaster loses his grip on the reins of a thombo, and the huge gourd-shaped creature ambles off down an alley. A bronth hauling a hand cart gets into a wordy dispute with a corastin carrying heavy boxes about who has right of way on a hill. A muadra youth - possibly a dyte punk - runs past, pursued by several human yords. A thriddle in a litter carried by pale-skinned humans jogs up the hill.
Oct 23, 2015 6:14 pm
Miniri, ever eager to start a journey, helps set a strong pace. Soon, however, she tires and begins to lag behind with Marik. When she sees the triddle being borne by litter, she lets out a quiet mewling noise.

From the rear, she examines her companions. Gythaar - his knowing glance seemed like he had a plan. He is a strong fighter, but perhaps his plan isn't as straight forward as would be expected from a crugar warrior. Marik - he seemed to grasp some of the politics. Barragar - this one has been extremely quiet... suspicious, or simply exercising wisdom?
Oct 23, 2015 6:16 pm
Marik follows quietly, SO close to becoming Drenn, he thinks to himself, thrilled and terrified of what that means.
Oct 24, 2015 7:13 pm
Having satisfied himself that you are not being followed, Jates leads the party to a small building not far from the docks.
"These are my rooms," he explains as he leads you inside. He opens the windows to let in fresh air and gestures to the four chairs at a table. He then crosses the room and pulls out a small chest from underneath the side table. He sets it on the table and opens it, revealing some papers and assorted small items. "These are the things I found in Luce's rooms, which he kept here near the docks."
Oct 25, 2015 4:35 pm
Gythaar glances at the papers with interest but before he takes a seat he paces the room and peers carefully out the windows. The crafty crugar stays alert, trying to discern any threats, within the building and without. "How secure are we here, Jates?"Gythaar asks the boccord. Inwardly he thinks, Here we have secrets. And where there are secrets, danger always follows!
Oct 25, 2015 4:51 pm
Miniri is drawn to the papers like a kitten to sinew. She sifts through the papers casually and then begins to organize them. Once they have been shuffled into a semblance of order, she begins to scan them for clues.
Oct 25, 2015 5:36 pm
Marik sits down with Miniri, assisting in searching through the papers.
Oct 25, 2015 8:48 pm
There are a number of letters; Miniri easily separates them by writer. Though some of them are unsigned, the handwriting gives them away (not to mention the distinct scents). There are, broadly speaking, two categories of correspondence: love letters, and official documents (both from the dharsage and from York). The official documents are praise from the dharsage (or his representatives) for the role Luce is to play in the alliance between Ardoth and York, as well as information about York and Yorkian VIPs; formal correspondence from the Monev of York (or his representatives) for the role Luce is to play in the alliance; and also correspondence with the keshtia Gelicia Skay (Luce's mother). The love letters are formal letters from Princess Gansei of York; brief notes of affection from an unsigned admirer; and an assortment of love notes from a variety of Ardothian assignations. There is also a note that is distinct for smell, paper, and language: it is not written in Entren, but instead is composed of jagged hash marks that seem organized enough to not be random scribbling.

Jates nods at Gythaar, "Yes, no one should know that I am here. I rented these rooms only recently, out of concern for Luce."

Barragar stands impassively at the door, his bulk a reassuring, familiar and silent presence.
Oct 27, 2015 5:47 pm
Marik inspects the note that they can't read, trying to see if he can find any meaning in it.

Rolls

Rolling vs Education (15) - (1d20)

(6) = 6

Oct 27, 2015 10:06 pm
Miniri frowns at the number of possibilities. "The alliance documents don't seem inflammatory. The love letters and the letter from this other admirer... competitors intrigue? We could sniff around and see where the princess has been these past few days." She pauses, thinking quickly.

"Jates, where is his mail drop? I wonder who is still sending him letters," she says, clearly emphasizing the word 'still'.
Oct 28, 2015 8:48 am
Anyone who wishes to look at the strange writing can roll a 1d20 against his/her EDUCATION characteristic (to see if they've happened to see something similar in their past).

Jates nods. "Yes, he gets such letters often, usually delivered by a private messenger. None of them made me suspicious, but I can direct you to each of the women who've written them, for the ones in Ardoth." Miniri and Gythaar can roll 1d20 checks against SOCIAL, or provide a skill (and its level) that you think would apply to discerning something about what the boccord is telling you.
Oct 28, 2015 12:02 pm
While taking in what Jates is saying, Gythaar studies the papers laid out on the table.

Rolls

Education (7) - (1d20)

(15) = 15

Social (6) - (1d20)

(10) = 10

Oct 28, 2015 1:14 pm
Miniri chews on her lower lip thoughtfully, mulling over what Jates had been saying.

Rolls

Education (11) - (1d20)

(14) = 14

Social (10) - (1d20)

(15) = 15

Oct 30, 2015 1:12 am
Neither of the crugar recognize the writing, and Barragar is impassive, refusing to take a look. But Marik, inspecting the page of text, recognizes it as a note in Rorch-ko, the language of the ramian. He does not know Rorch-ko well enough to read it himself, but he knows it to see it.
Quote:

Along with the crugar of Temauntro and the heridothians, the ramian of Voligire are one of three realms that have tried to invade and conquer Burdoth in the last hundred years. Ramian are tall, skeletally thin, grey-skinned humanoid sentient creatures. Iscins know that (like humans, thriddle, cleash, corastin and many others) the presence of eyes indicates that ramian are not native to Jorune. Ramian also do not thrive on Jorune. Much as Terran creatures need durlig to digest food, ramian need a limilate called "shirm-eh" to heal from wounds and illnesses. Ramian are respected as dauntless warriors and shrewd merchants, but they are feared because of chiveer. Periodically, an otherwise rational ramian will start to grow horns called "chivs" out of his cheeks. With the chivs comes an extreme bloodlust, a berserk desire for mayhem that results in these crazed ramian being exiled from polite ramian society. This period of a ramian's life is called chiveer, or being "in chiveer." Most ramian have little choice in the matter, though some ramian manage to master a mental discipline of fasting and meditation where they are able to suppress chiveer through force of will; these ramian masters of peace are called "chiven-rachu-eh." Chiv, chiveer, chiven-rachu-eh, and shirm-eh are the four words of Rorch-ko that most people on Jorune know.
http://www.milesteves.com/gallery/d/1298-3/Ramian.jpg
Ramian in chiveer
Jates looks uncomfortable. "My mistress is very concerned about Luce. We all are! But..." clearly he's finding it difficult to continue. "...I believe she...she is mistaken in sending you to pursue the Heridothians. There! I said it!" He takes a deep breath, shaken at his ability to speak ill of the Keshtia. "She did not want me to tell you this, I think because she wants you to embarrass Cho Dantto by finding Luce first. But I think that note" (indicating the Rorch-ko scrawl in Marik's hands) "may mean that chasing the Heridothians is the wrong path. And it is wrong - wrong! - to play such competitive games when Luce's life may be at stake!"
Quote:

Another note, this time about Jorune and jurisprudence: though thousands of years have passed since the civilization started over, in many ways Burdoth remains in a late medieval or early renaissance level of thought. With Iscin there are pockets of near-Enlightenment thinking, but they are rare in the larger society. As a result, guilt is usually determined by accusation and testimony, rather than evidence. Thus it would never have occurred to Jates to leave the letters where he found them; his taking the initiative to read the letters is actually rather forward-thinking. Most people would have heard someone accuse the Heridothians and would have said "That makes sense" and left it at that, assured of the guilt of unknown foreign assailants. Along with some Iscins, however, there are a few people who are known as "yiordeh" (super law men) who have been ritually trained to look for evidence. These yiordeh may or may not understand all the actual principles of cause and effect, but their methods resemble a modern detective's methods, and they get results in finding criminals that are often surprising and astounding to observers. Observers sometimes view them as almost witch-doctors or magicians, for their ability to hunt down crooks.

As PCs, you may approach these things however you like, in whatever level of enlightened fashion/scientific inquiry you wish. I just wanted to let you know what society's standard is for determining guilt.
Oct 30, 2015 2:32 pm
Marik listens to Jates' impassioned speech, truly feeling bad for the position he is in, "Well, the easiest way to find out what's going on would be find someone to translate this for us. The Keshtia gave us a lot of discretion in this matter, so we must take the path we think best in finding Luce. Does anyone know of anyone trustworthy that can read Rorch-ko?"
Last edited October 30, 2015 2:32 pm
Oct 31, 2015 12:41 am
Miniri would know several entris, but any of you with a Getting Around or Contacts at Experienced or better would at least know of one. Those with less can roll against Getting Around or Contacts to find one.

In addition, those with Contacts or Current Events at Experienced would recognize Cho Dantto's name (you can do a check against Contacts or Current Events if you have a rank lower than Experienced).

Rolls

Getting Around for Barragar - 10 (entris) - (1d20)

(8) = 8

Contacts for Barragar - 10 (Cho Dantto) - (1d10)

(8) = 8

Oct 31, 2015 6:47 am
[Contacts - ranked 6/Familiar]

Rolls

[Contacts - ranked 6/Familiar] - (1d20)

(2) = 2

Oct 31, 2015 3:57 pm
Rolling

Rolls

Contacts for translator (6/familiar) - (1d20)

(19) = 19

Current Events to know of Cho Dantto (8/Familiar) - (1d20)

(18) = 18

Oct 31, 2015 11:10 pm
Gythaar knows that Cho Dantto is a revered detective ("yiordeh") who has been a favorite of the dharsage for a few years. If Cho Dantto is on the case, the saying goes, then let evildoers beware!

Surprised, Barragar rumbles "Cho Dantto! Why do they need us, then?"

spaceseeker19 sent a note to Jabes.plays.RPG
Miniri exchanges a glance with Barragar. They worked together on a mission where they'd found ancient scrolls on strange metallic cylinders, and they'd taken them to Krune Tassasatra, a sage old entris living in the Sharben neighborhood. Krune has proven skilled in every type of written language they've seen him attempt.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.