Jorune: Strange Allies game (Prologue and Seq 1.1)

load previous
Nov 1, 2015 12:13 am
"You remember her, too, Barragar? That time with the scrolls?" Miniri thinks hard, her jaws slightly parted. "She knew many languages, but can we trust her with something this sensitive?"
Nov 1, 2015 5:56 am
Gythaar nods at Barragar's comment. "Cho Dantto is a legend. Barragar is right, why would they hire us if he's on the case? Cho never fails. He'll find Luce, if Luce has really been taken by Heridothians. Jates here is right: Cho's most probably been sent on a false trail and we're to be used as pawns to embarrass him. But WHY?" Gythaar scratches thoughtfully at his whiskers. "I'm not in the habit of asking the why's behind missions - I do the job, I get out, and get paid. THat's how you survive as long as I have. But this is Cho Dantto. Not an enemy I want to make."
Nov 1, 2015 4:31 pm
Barragar doesn't spend any time thinking about Miniri's question before answering: "Krune is reliable. Besides, what choice do we have? Do any of the rest of you know another entris?" He turns to Jates. "Any entris you would know would probably tell the Keshtia that we've been translating rorch-ko, right?" The giant boccord turns back to you, shrugs. "No choice."

He shuffles through the letters. "I wonder if all these women knew that Luce was betrothed, or whether one of them just found out recently..." Barragar squirms a bit. "That kind of thing can get...awkward."
Nov 3, 2015 6:43 pm
Barragar lets the letters fall from his hands. "Maybe a lover had something to do with it, but I want to know what Krune has to say about this note from ramian...my uncle was killed by those bony bastards."
Nov 3, 2015 7:04 pm
Jates watches you leave, nervously chewing on a fingernail in his anxiety about Luce. "I'll be here, if you need to contact me again!"

Barragar leads the way to Sharben, across the face of the hill. It's more of a residential neighborhood, with more homes than any other type of building. The flow of traffic is hardly lesser, though. Once in the neighborhood, Barragar's steps slow uncertainly, and Miniri takes over leading the group to Krune Tassasatra's home. Like most homes in Burdoth, it is composed of white-washed and plastered adobe brick. Windows looking over the Bay are open, letting in the sea breeze which helps keep the house cool in the heat of the day. It is late forenoon.

Krune Tassasatra opens the door at your call (knocking is considered very rude and peremptory on Jorune). Though old, he remains alert and recognizes both Miniri and Barragar. He invites you all in, sets you up with tea, small cakes of nut bread, and small plates of creshi (a pickled fish) for the carnivores. He seems delighted to have visitors and is a good host.

http://watermarked.cutcaster.com/cutcaster-photo-801014722-Old-African-black-man-with-characterful-face.jpg

After the requisite small talk, he asks: "What can Krune do to help you? Usually you seek Krune only when you want something. What is it?"

(We can do this by role-playing it, or we can do a abridged version based on SOCIAL checks...or other skills you think you'd like to apply)
Nov 3, 2015 7:29 pm
Marik will produce the letter that they found, "We found this letter, it appears to be in Rorch-ko and we were hoping you could translate it for us."
Nov 3, 2015 9:28 pm
Miniri bows respectfully, her back awkwardly straight in the human style. She then leans forward and sniffs a greeting in the crugar form. "Thank you for seeing us, honored elder." She nods at Marik. "This is a matter of some delicacy."
Nov 4, 2015 4:45 pm
Krune smiles. "Rorch-ko is a challenge... S'good - I like challenges! Not seen much Rorch-ko since d'War, when dharsage has me translate spy messages!"

The old man takes the letter and peruses the page, murmuring over it as he reads.

After reading through it, he says: "This is a spy document, from d'War?"
He turns the page over in his hands.
"Paper is new...this is a copy of spy note from d'War?"
He peers at you and then shrugs.

"No matter, I translate. Short note!" He laughs jovially, though none of you are sure why he's laughing.

His wizened hands clear a space for the paper on the table, and he sets it out so you can see it. Then he points at different lines as he tells you about them.

"Rorch-ko very formal language; ramian very controlled, precise people. Right way to do everything. Written, Rorch-ko usually in five-line paragraphs. Form requires first paragraph to be introduction and praise, complimenting d'person the letter was for."
His finger stabs down at the paper.
"Not so here. Only one paragraph! Hee-hee! Spies write shorter messages, very, very rude - no compliments. No names! Only places. First line, here - very scandalous:

'shipment preparation' or 'ready for package'

Author is writing to person, expecting a delivery. What is it? See the second line:

'bring shirm-eh...' - with these ramian, it's usually shirm-eh - uh, where was I? Oh, yes:
'bring shirm-eh to T'Suha'

T'Suha is a person, or a place? Usually can tell with Rorch-ko, but this is missing formal articles and gender; could be either. Definitely a name; this symbol always precedes a name.

Next line:
'paid for Mo-an Darf-ter Kaigon...'
The name symbol shows that those are three names; Kaigon is the town..."

Barragar nods. Kaigon is a large settlement to the west, in southern Gauss just past the Glounda Forest, two days' ride by thombo from Ardoth.

"Fourth line and fifth line:
'Gratitude and prayers
Clear head and eyes'

...these are excerpts of formal Rorch-ko letters, which always end with compliments and well-wishes for d'reader. No higher value for a ramian than self-control; what is meant by 'clear head and eyes.' The author couldn't break tradition totally, and had to complete d'five lines."

Krune cackles a wheezing laugh again and pours more tea.
"So...some time during d'War, some spy was working with ramian to get them their medicine, and arranged for a shipment out of Gauss." He sips his tea and looks shrewdly at Miniri. "You working on a history book? History of d'War? I could tell you a lot about d'War..."

Everyone make a geography check, or just tell me if you are Experienced/Rank 12 or higher in that skill.
Nov 4, 2015 5:06 pm
Miniri tries to recall the maps she has seen to place this all into context.

Rolls

Geography (6-Familiar, but added 3 ranks for a 9) - (1d20)

(5) = 5

Nov 4, 2015 5:07 pm
Marik attempts to recall anything he can.

Experienced in Geography!
Nov 4, 2015 6:18 pm
Barragar also searches his memory...

Rolls

Geography - (1d20)

(5) = 5

Traveler check (vs rank 10) - (1d20)

(10) = 10

Nov 4, 2015 6:24 pm
Being tauther and thus travelers, all four of you (Barragar, Gythaar, Miniri and Marik) recognize that "T'Suha" is the name of a port city on the island of Reet. The city is more commonly known in Burdoth as Telmin. Reet is not part of Burdoth or any larger nation; it is in independent island state, and as such it is a haven for pirates, vagabonds, raiders and refugees of various stripes (see the maps thread; Reet is included on the map of Burdoth/Heridoth).

I would also welcome checks against either Current Events or Traveler.

Edit: Reminder: if you haven't already, please note your current foci for this sequence in Ardoth.
Nov 4, 2015 6:25 pm
Rolling vs Current Events

Foci: Current Events, contacts, Getting around, silent movement, history
Last edited November 4, 2015 8:10 pm

Rolls

Current Events (8 Ranks) - (1d20)

(10) = 10

Nov 4, 2015 8:03 pm
Foci for this sequence:
Tail: 6/Familiar
Search: 6/Familiar
Contacts: 6/Familiar
Traveler: 6/Familiar

Gythaar is Experienced in Geography: 12 ranks

Rolls

Traveler: 6/Familiar - (1d20)

(2) = 2

Nov 5, 2015 6:09 am
You all also realize that the normal way to get to Reet is by ship from Ardoth. Traveling overland from Kaigon would take at least twice as long and be much more dangerous.

spaceseeker19 sent a note to Jabes.plays.RPG
Nov 6, 2015 10:15 am
Gythaar's eyes narrow. "Telmin. Reet. Things could get real dicey real fast, especially if we take the overland route through Kaigon-Gauss. A ship from Ardoth then? Speaking of ships, I just remembered something I heard the last time out was out West: they were talking about the crystal schooners out of Jasp, and how they were going to extend their routes into Gauss. The crystal schooners are a closely guarded secret of the nation of Jasp, which, as you'll recall is a backwater country on the northern tip of Temauntro. Jasp has, with the secret of these flying ships, become a serious economic power in recent years, because what nation doesn't want to stay on the good side of a country that could effortlessly fly entire armies across borders, eh? So far, Jasp hasn't taken sides in any major conflict, which both relieves and pisses off most nations' rulers. But Jasp keeps expanding its trade routes. What if this name - Mo-an Darf-ter - was the name of a crystal schooner?"
Last edited November 6, 2015 10:16 am
Nov 6, 2015 3:56 pm
"Flying ships, huh?" Barragar muses. "How are each of you with the idea of riding a talmaron? We might not be able to catch Luce before he got on the ship, but we might. Or, if we don't, we'd at least get to Kaigon faster."
Nov 6, 2015 3:58 pm
http://i.imgur.com/PeVeQ.png

You all know talmaron; they're the native Jorune creatures that fly on giant bat wings, using their tra sense to navigate using isho. They are less common as riding beasts than either thombo or bochigon, but you'd be able to procure the use of them easily in Ardoth (particularly with the keshtia's resources).
Nov 6, 2015 4:02 pm
Marik considers for a moment, thrilled and terrified at the though of riding a Talmaron, "I say we go for it. If we can get him back before they reach their destination then he'll be less well-guarded than wherever they are planning to keep him."
Nov 6, 2015 10:03 pm
Miniri trembles at the thought, but when she sees Marik voice his approval, she also nods her head. Her voice trembling, she says "Marik is right, of course, it would be best if we don't let them get prepared."
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.