Blood in Ferelden: Chapter 1

load previous
Oct 10, 2015 6:59 pm
Bray's intimidating stance forces the cultists to hesitate, unsure about their next move. The leader who made to flee continues his flight, slowing as he tries to get around Grapthor, not excited about the look on the surly Dwarf's face.

One of the cultists, while shaking, says to the others "She'll kill us all if we don't bring it back to her! The unclean must be purged!"

The successful intimidate check forces them to hesitate. Big guy is still trying to flee, MAP has been updated.

Lockley is up after the cultists, so if you want to change your action, feel free.

Rothas is up next.

Initiative Order:
Bray
Cultists
Lockley
Rothas
Jake
Grapthor
Oct 12, 2015 3:50 pm
Lockley has trouble diagnosing the child in a hurry, but it is quite clear that he has been bleeding from the mouth.
When your healing magic courses through the child, his small eyes open wide, terrified and panicked. The child screams, then his hands move to over his mouth, confusion plastering his small weeping face.

If Jake and Grapthor want to go ahead, Rothas can act retroactively if it matters.
Oct 12, 2015 4:59 pm
Rothas has never had any positive interaction with people in hooded robes. He's getting a bad vibe here, and even though the others have not cued him to violence, his inclination tends to be earning glory in battle. Rothas figures that valor is the better part of discretion, so he fires at the cultist closest to Lockley (he figures Grapthor can prevent the leader's escape), and then uses a minor action to reload.

(OOC note: please correct me if I'm calculating the attack bonuses incorrectly.)
Last edited October 12, 2015 7:49 pm

Rolls

Attack with bow (+3 DEX, +2 for bow skill) - (3d6+5)

(245) + 5 = 16

Bow damage (+1 PER) - (1d6+2)

(5) + 2 = 7

Oct 12, 2015 5:12 pm
Rothas breaks the tension with a solid bow strike. The arrow sinks into its target, and as the cultists staggers back, his robes open to reveal leather armour underneath.

Roll your damage for Rothas, in the future you can roll your damage every time, in case you're successful. Don't forget you add your perception to damage rolls with weapons from the 'bows' group.

Jake is up next
Oct 12, 2015 7:48 pm
Understood; I will roll attacks and damage in the same post in future. In the meantime, I've added the damage roll to my previous post.
Oct 13, 2015 3:06 am
Jake feels the words of Bray try to calm him, but he can also feel the familiar feeling welling up in him. His hands spark almost uncontrollably as the words flow from his mouth almost entirely without his knowledge. His eyes flash white for a second as the arcane bolt forms at his hands and flies out towards one of the men.

As he feels the surge of magic course through his body he feels another burst well up and fire from his other hand at another one of the men.

[ OOC: Casting Arcane Bolt against one of the men standing around the boy, not the one that was already attacked. 2 MP cost. The target number to hit is 10. If I'm successful the creature gets to make a Dexterity (Acrobatics) test vs. your Spellpower (14), if it succeeds the spell only inflicts 1d6 damage.

OOOOOOOh, a couple of things happen. I believe I just triggered a stunt of value 6. My damage for arcane bolt also does a bonus 6 damage because of the value of my dragon dice.

The two stunts I will use are:

Mighty Spell (2sp) -- Target of the spell takes an extra 1d6 damage
Fast Casting (4sp) -- May immediately cast another spell that has a casting time of a major or minor action.

I'll use the Fast Casting to send another bolt at another uninjured man, and then I'll add another d6 attack damage for the first bolt.

Okay, summing up. Both men get a chance to save, Dex (Acrobatics) vs 14, to take 1d6 less of damage (remove the second number rolled from those damages. The first guy still gets an extra 1d6 damage. I spent 4 MP total to cast the bolt twice. I used all 6 of my spell stunt points as well. Both spells were cast successfully, no fizzles. Jake feels like a damn champ. ]
Last edited October 13, 2015 3:21 am

Rolls

To hit (3rd dice is dragon dice) (magic is 4, no focus) - (3d6+4)

(626) + 4 = 18

Damage from Arcane Bolt - (2d6)

(22) = 4

Extra Damage for first bolt - (1d6)

(5) = 5

Second Bolt Attack vs TN10 (Last is dragon dice) - (3d6+4)

(431) + 4 = 12

Damage for second bolt - (2d6)

(66) = 12

Oct 13, 2015 3:47 am
Charged with arcane fury, Jake holds out his hands and launches two bolts from outstretched hands.
The first cultist twists away, some of the force glancing away into the night. The second target takes the bolt firmly in the chest, sending him staggering backwards.

First cultist(C2) saves, second(C4) does not. Great use of the stunts! Huge 6 point dragon die came through big time!

Grapthor's up!
Oct 13, 2015 3:50 am
[ OOC: The first cultist still took 7 damage, right? Of the first damage dice (2 and 2), it would have been reduced by the second dice. However the stunt is what added the extra 5 to the attack, so that still gets added to the 2 damage that was remaining. Just checking so I can keep track of how much we've been hitting people. Also, not going to lie, this may be my new favorite RPG system. ]
Last edited October 13, 2015 3:52 am
Oct 13, 2015 3:54 am
Yup, he took 7+6(dragon die) minus his armour value. Second took 13 minus armour. I'll post gross damage in the results in the forthcoming posts.

Grapthor!
Oct 13, 2015 9:32 am
As the lead cultist tries to get around Grapthor, the dwarf moves with surprising speed. One moment he is leaning against the haft of his two-handed maul, the weapon's heavy head resting on the ground, the next moment the maul is arcing upwards towards the cultist's chest.

Two-Hander Style: When you hit with a melee attack when using a two-handed weapon, you can shove your target 2 yards in any direction.

Are you supposed to add your STR to the damage roll? I believe two-handed maul damage is 2d6+3 without the STR.
Last edited October 13, 2015 9:34 am

Rolls

Attack (STR 3 + Focus: Bludgeons, third die is Dragon die) - (3d6+5)

(235) + 5 = 15

Damage - (2d6+3)

(34) + 3 = 10

Oct 13, 2015 3:50 pm
Grapthor's maul connects with the fleeing cultist in the chest, knocking the wind from him and sending him stumbling.

Boom! Grapthor connects for a mighty 13 dam (before armour). Which way would you like to move him?

Back up to Bray!
Oct 13, 2015 9:55 pm
The way things turned out didn't surprise me, but it was sudden. Still, I was ready for it and took a swing at the cultist who Jake had first hit with his magic. [ooc: c2]

Rolls

Attack - (3d6+3)

(514) + 3 = 13

Damage - (3d6+3)

(552) + 3 = 15

Oct 13, 2015 11:01 pm
Bray telegraphs his heavy swing a little too much and the cultist side steps it at the last second, the shot to the chest previously having seemingly woken him up.

"Very near miss.

Cultist turn.
Oct 14, 2015 5:12 am
The cultist leader gathers himself and spits out some blood from his mouth. In an instant he reaches under his robe and pulls out a short sword, with which he lunges at Grapthor, blind rage in his eyes. Grapthor is hit for (8 - 5(AV)) 3 Damage.

The Cultist that Rothas stuck with an arrow, turns away from Lockley over the child, dashes toward Rothas, drawing his own short sword on the way. Rothas is able to parry away the clumsy shot with his bow.

The second robed figure behind the child draws his sword as Bray's axe swings wide. He stabs in furiously but is thwarted by a clever parry with the pommel of his axe.

Another cultist attacks Bray, hoping to capitalize on the melee with his comrade. His blow find's Bray's guantleted fists painfully(Mighty Blow 2SP), forcing Bray's axe to the alley floor(Disarm 2SP). Then, to add insult to injury, the cultist kicks Bray hard in the hip, knocking him prone to his left(Knock Prone 2SP). Huge roll from the cultist ( 6, 5, 6 ) for 6 SP! Bray takes (13-4) 9 Damage!

The remaining cultist attempts to knock Lockley from the squirming child. ( 3, 5, 3 ; 3SP) He kicks Lockley over onto his back, knocking him prone(Knock over 2SP). He deals 5 damage to Lockley in the kick.

Map is updated, let me know if I missed anything.

Initiative Order:
Bray
Cultists
Lockley
Rothas
Jake
Grapthor

Back to Lockley
Oct 14, 2015 6:56 pm
Lockley grunts from the pain in his side. From his back, he eyes the cultist and the child. What do I care, some waif, probably sold to them and here we are interfering... His eyes narrow with the decision, and he extends his hand outward. A sudden wind swirls around him and the cultist, and then, with a sudden clenching of his fist, the cultist is surrounded by a cloud of freezing air.

Edit: ... and stands up.
Winters Grasp: Major Action; 3MP; range 20 yds; envelop target in cloud frost ice for # rounds = MAG (i.e. 3); rnd 1: 1d6 penetrating DMG; rnd 2+: save CON(STAMINA) vs Spellpower or 1d6 penetrating DMG and cumulative -2 Speed, but save ends spell
Last edited October 14, 2015 7:51 pm

Rolls

Penetrating damage - (1d6)

(1) = 1

Oct 14, 2015 7:03 pm
The cultist feels his limbs stiffen, and the saliva in his mouth begin to frost over as his eyes widen in panin.

I made the roll now for next round. The effect will end next turn. (5, 5, 4) vs. 13; C4 takes 1 penetrating damage.
Initiative Order:
Bray
Cultists
Lockley
Rothas
Jake
Grapthor

Rothas is up.
Oct 14, 2015 7:59 pm
Wary of the stabbing short sword, Rothas readies his two-handed axe and attempts to end the foul cultist with it.

Rolls

Attack with two-handed axe (STR + Axes skill) - (3d6+5)

(254) + 5 = 16

Damage on a hit - (3d6+3)

(131) + 3 = 8

Oct 14, 2015 10:24 pm
Rothas defeats the cultist's defences and lands a solid blow into the cultist's leather armour.

Hit! 8 Damage. Jake is up
Oct 15, 2015 5:48 am
Jake, losing himself in the rage of battle flips around his quarter staff and sends a glowing jagged arcane lance from the end of the quarter staff towards the cultist that pushed Lockely away from the boy.

[ OOC: Casting Arcane bolt which is an ability, not an actual spell. No MP usage. Also anytime I roll for hit, 3rd dice is always dragon dice. :) ]
Last edited October 15, 2015 5:50 am

Rolls

To Hit (Magic(Arcane Lance) Test) (Treated like ranged attack) - (3d6+4)

(142) + 4 = 11

Damage - (1d6+4)

(1) + 4 = 5

Oct 15, 2015 5:51 am
In his angry haste, Jake misdirects his arcane lance and misses the cultist.

Grapthor, you're up.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.