Against the Cult: Party at the Mill (1.1)

load previous
Nov 11, 2015 8:04 am
CouchLord0510 says:
Where is this goblin going?
Here's the route so far:
http://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=0B071DukoNZd1QzlYSlhqWkVIUUk
RED indicates Shiztik's route out to the mill, GREEN indicates the route it's taking after it realizes it's gone to the wrong mill.

Shiztik has no idea that Durren is following it (his stealth roll still applies), but the kobold is naturally a small, adroit creature, and it is weaving through the trees and underbrush of a small copse of trees now. Durren, roll an Athletics check to dodge around the shrubbery, or your choice of some other skill or ability you can justify using to avoid getting slowed down by vegetation.

Rolls

DM rolls - (1d6, 1d10+3, 1d20)

1d6 : (2) = 2

1d10+3 : (10) + 3 = 13

1d20 : (12) = 12

Nov 11, 2015 8:14 am
As they burst through the doors, Xana just notices another figure slipping down the stairs.
Nov 11, 2015 8:35 am
Lacking a clear shot, I hustle towards the right-hand doors and lean up against the wall, just beside the door frame.

Ambuscade: Move
Nov 11, 2015 12:00 pm
I run to follow the figure down the stairs. If it's a chase they want, they've got it! Although there is only so fast my little legs can go...
Nov 11, 2015 12:18 pm
Durren follows the Kobold, but has to dodge underbrush. The creature continues to weave his way south, and Durren is curiuos as to where he is headed.

Rolls

Athletics - (1d20+5)

(17) + 5 = 22

Nov 11, 2015 4:12 pm
Shiztik weaves through the bushes and Durren bounds over them in his silent pursuit of the kobold, gradually gaining on the little reptile. The copse ends and the creature rushes across an open green towards a row of houses; Durren can see the bridge across the Realstream river at some distance off to his left; there is some traffic on the bridge heading west into town: a bunch of wagons, arriving from Hookhill or Orlane, possibly.

The kobold dodges in between a gap in the fence behind the houses, and Durren vaults the fence with ease. The kobolds slips under some washing hanging on a clothesline to dry, startling a woman and child who are preparing to clean a rug with a rugbeater.

Durren, roll an acrobatics check to somersault under the clothesline and avoid colliding with the people cleaning.
Nov 11, 2015 5:10 pm
Aanbo remains where he is. His self-assigned task is to prevent the suspect(s) from escaping this way. However, he remains perceptive to any indication that his assistance is needed inside.
Nov 11, 2015 5:18 pm
ROUND ONE

Thacogygax and Aanbo are astonished at Sara's speed as she blurs into motion, rushing up to the cover of the mill's walls, just to the right of the right set of doors. Glancing inside, Sara sees the two men flip over the table next to Klak and Quest.

Aanbo, you give me a perception roll with disadvantage, and/or tell us what you're doing, as you're at the top of the player initiative list.
Thacogygax may also do a perception check with disadvantage.

Xana sees movement and instinctively jumps after it, running down the stairs on the right. She comes down into darkness, and her eyes adjust. The room is filled with the motion and noise of the mill works: giant gears turning, groaning with the torque of the water wheel outside, which in turn spin connected gears and the vertical shafts connected to them. A door on the wall to your right is open. A large pipe or shaft descends in front of you into a U-bend and then rises back up into the ceiling. The man you've followed has ducked underneath this and calls into a passage in the far wall, shouting above the noise. "Get out here, skinks! We've got trouble!"

Upstairs in the mill room, the wrestlers do a double-take, seeing that the doors have bashed open. Two of them toss aside the third man, who falls weakly to the floor, and they circle around the mill wheel on either side to flank Ogbar. Just before they get there, a pair of large shaggy war dogs come snarling down the stairs from above, one leaping for Ogbar, the other continuing down the stairs after Xana.

http://static.deathandtaxesmag.com/uploads/2013/01/Ferocity.jpg

Ogbar takes 3 HP damage as the war dog sinks its jaws into him; he must also roll a STR save.

In the office room next door, the thugs on the right make it behind the table and prepare to flip it over.

Actions can be declared in any order, so you don't have to wait for someone before you in initiative, but the actions will occur in initiative order.

Complete initiative order:
War dogs
Aanbo
Men in mill room
Xana
Men in office room
Thacogygax
Man downstairs (and whomever he's calling to)
Ogbar
Klak
Quest
Sara

Rolls

DM rolls - (1d20, 1d20)

1d20 : (14) = 14

1d20 : (19) = 19

Shaggy war dog attack on Ogbar, damage on hit - (1d20+3, 1d6+1)

1d20+3 : (18) + 3 = 21

1d6+1 : (2) + 1 = 3

Nov 11, 2015 5:24 pm
Aanbo unfolds his hands, letting them rest by his sides. He watches the area, hopeful that events inside the mill are proceeding nicely. If any of the suspects flee his way, Aanbo intends to be ready to intercept them.

Rolls

Perception, Disadvantage - (1d20+3, 1d20+3)

1d20+3 : (10) + 3 = 13

1d20+3 : (7) + 3 = 10

Nov 11, 2015 5:55 pm
Ogbar, surprised by the sudden assault, attempts to stay on his feet.

Rolls

STR Save - (1d20+4)

(8) + 4 = 12

Nov 11, 2015 6:02 pm
I continue after the man, attempting to catch up to him. I barely have to duck under the pipe in my pursuit. "Hey there, I just want to talk!"

OOC: I attempt to get within 10 feet of him.
Nov 11, 2015 6:33 pm
OOC: I'm waiting to see what the men in the office room do (since they act before me) I'm hesitant to start hacking at strangers with my axe unless they're obviously bad guys.
Nov 11, 2015 8:56 pm
Durren rolls under the clothes line...
Last edited November 11, 2015 9:12 pm

Rolls

Athletics - (1d20+2)

(19) + 2 = 21

Nov 12, 2015 2:11 am
OOC: Like Klak(Falryx), Quest will need to see what the men in the office intend before he takes action...I mean there is still a chance they will surrender right?
Nov 12, 2015 2:50 am
Durren clears the clothesline and darts past the people on the other side, causing a startled exclamation to escape the woman. He ducks behind a barrel as the Kobold whirls around to investigate the cause of the scream. The woman goes back to beating the rug, and Durren hopes the Kobold does not suspect.

OOC: I need to roll a Stealth to avoid the Kobold's attention, right? Or should I roll Survival?

Rolls

Stealth (avoiding Kobold attention) - (1d20+4)

(3) + 4 = 7

Nov 12, 2015 8:55 am
ROUND ONE, CONTINUED

Initiative order:
- War dogs - moving and attacking (done)
- Aanbo prepares to fight anyone leaving the mill to the north. He thinks he hear a strange clicking noise for a moment, but when he tries to listen more closely to determine a direction, he doesn't hear it again.
- Men in mill room - tossed victim aside, moving to flank Ogbar (done)
- Xana is within 10' of the man she chased downstairs, and realizes that a dog fully as big as she is charging up behind her. Having moved, Xana can do her action later in the round and move to that point in the initiative, or wait until next round.
- Men in office room - flipping tables for cover (done). The tables are 4' deep (now tall); characters can reach, climb, or vault over but these men have half cover while the table is between them. Klak sees that the men are armed with clubs and sneering, hostile expressions.
- Thacogygax is up; in addition to whatever move/action, he may do a perception check with DISADV.
- Man downstairs (and whomever he's calling to) ran down the stairs and has not noticed Xana behind him (done).
- Ogbar is a rock, and remains standing as the dog hits him at full speed and rips into his forearm. Ogbar stares at it mutely for a moment as the dog bounces off of him. He still has a move and an action as the two men move to flank him and the dog develops a taste for barbarian.
- Klak can declare move/action. Klak may also roll an Insight check to grok the intentions of these bruisers.
- Quest may declare move/action, and roll an Insight check similarly.
- Sara thinks she has a shot, though the men behind the table on the left have half cover. If she wishes to figure out the intentions of these men, she may also roll an Insight check. She also has the normal move/action.
Nov 12, 2015 9:40 am
It's very quiet and peaceful where Thacogygax has chosen to take position. He takes a deep breath and enjoys the gurgling and splashing of the river. Faintly, he can hear the millwheel creaking. It occurs to him that he should have cast one of his cantrips to maintain communication with one of the others. Sara perhaps. Thacogygax shrugs. Well, too late now, as he can't see any of them. Surely they'll call out if there's any trouble.

Rolls

Perception (Disadv) - (1d20+3, 1d20+3)

1d20+3 : (10) + 3 = 13

1d20+3 : (7) + 3 = 10

Nov 12, 2015 9:42 am
CouchLord0510 says:
OOC: I need to roll a Stealth to avoid the Kobold's attention, right? Or should I roll Survival?
Note from DM: Stealth to avoid detection. I'm using your first roll, still - the kobold has not detected you yet. Survival is not used for avoiding detection, though it is used for a bunch of things, such as following a trail (part of tracking). You already have successes at Survival, Athletics, Acrobatics, and Stealth.
Nov 12, 2015 9:43 am
Shiztik crosses the road and ducks under one of the wagons entering Hochoch from the east. Pursuing the kobold, Durren dodges between the wagons and one of the oxen bellows at the disturbance. Shiztik has given up all pretense of stealth now, and assumes that all the noise is just humans being startled and upset at finding a reptile man in their midst (Durren's stealth remains effective, and the kobold is not trying to detect him).

On the other/south side of the road, a series of fields growing grain spreads out, sloping gradually down to a line of trees in the distance. The kobold scurries right into the waving stalks of wheat near the eastern edge; Durren can see his progress by the waving of the long grasses like a wake behind a boat.

Durren can continue slowly gaining on the kobold just by running into the field with no roll (as his move speed is higher), he can roll another Athletics check to try to smash his way through the wheat a bit faster, he can skirt around the fields so he's not slowed down at all and roll an Insight check to figure out where the kobold will emerge from the wheat, or you can come up with some other check for Durren to make (and describe how it applies). Let me know which one you choose.
Nov 12, 2015 9:49 am
ROUND ONE, CONTINUED

Thacogygax is enjoying the peace and quiet, water bubbling over his claws, but then he hears a series of crashes from the mill, as of breaking furniture (really just the tables being flipped), and he also sees glimpses of movement through the half-open shutters. He can still move/act in response.

Ogbar is also up now.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.