Against the Cult: Party at the Mill (1.1)

load previous
Nov 12, 2015 10:00 am
Hearing furniture breaking - and is that a dog barking? - sounds of what could very well be a struggle, Thacogygax rushes towards the building. In the back of his mind he wonders if he should've stayed where he was to cover possible escape routes, but he is committed now. He makes it to the nearest door and takes in the scene inside.

OOC: Unless I'm mistaken, the nearest door is the one Klak & Quest went through.
Nov 12, 2015 10:02 am
Flipping tables, assuming defensive positions.. Do these men mean to fight? I reflect as I take cover behind the wall and prepare an arrow.

I'm assuming the insight check doesn't require my action? If it does, I'm not going to take it.

Rolls

Insight - (1d20+3)

(17) + 3 = 20

Nov 12, 2015 10:02 am
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
OOC: Unless I'm mistaken, the nearest door is the one Klak & Quest went through.
Note from DM: Correct; a double move has brought you right to outside that door, next to Sara.
Nov 12, 2015 10:05 am
Candi says:
I'm assuming the insight check doesn't require my action? If it does, I'm not going to take it.
Note from DM: Correct, in this case. Sometimes I may use Insight as part of a conversation, but in this case, it's just a snap assessment of a situation, not a full action.
Sara has seen that look in men's eyes before. These thugs have heard Quest's challenge and ignored it. They're out for blood.
Nov 12, 2015 1:25 pm
The barking and snarling get more persistent as I run. When I turn towards the sound, I see a bear the size of a house barreling towards me. Instinctively, I cover my head with my arms and project an aura of warmth and friendliness.

OOC: Fey presence- As an action, you can cause each creature in a 10-foot cube originating from you to make a Wisdom saving throw against your warlock spell save DC (12). The creatures that fail their saving throws are all charmed or frightened by you (your choice) until the end of your next turn.
Nov 12, 2015 1:39 pm
A look of supreme disappointment comes over Quest's face, He didn't really expect them to stand down, but he hoped.

"You had your chance."

Quests eyes fill with an Azure light and he turns to his right to look at the nearest man. Then that man's eyes fill with the same light and his head fills with pain.

::Using Mind Thrust. The attack uses the target's Int score as their AC. There is no disadvantage for attacking at range while a target is within 5 feet. This power seems a little OP right now, but that is how it is written up.::

Rolls

Mind Thrust vs. Int. - (1d20+5, 1d8)

1d20+5 : (14) + 5 = 19

1d8 : (4) = 4

Nov 12, 2015 1:45 pm
spaceseeker19 says:
Durren can continue slowly gaining on the kobold just by running into the field with no roll (as his move speed is higher), he can roll another Athletics check to try to smash his way through the wheat a bit faster, he can skirt around the fields so he's not slowed down at all and roll an Insight check to figure out where the kobold will emerge from the wheat, or you can come up with some other check for Durren to make (and describe how it applies). Let me know which one you choose.
OOC: Am I tall enough to see over the grain? I am 6'1". I'll write two courses of action, depending on that fact. The Athletics roll applies to the "IF TALLER" course, the Insight to the "IF NOT TALLER" course.

IF TALLER: Durren watches the Kobold run for a moment, then dashes into the grain. He can still see the Kobold's weaving path, and he cuts corners on the creature, closing the distance even more. He decides to put up his sword so as to be able to move faster; there is no immanent danger... as of yet.

IF NOT TALLER: Durren watches the Kobold run for a moment, then darts around and along one side of the field. He sprints around the field and arrives on the other side. Has the Kobold emerged yet?

Rolls

Athletics (to push through the grain) - (1d20+5)

(8) + 5 = 13

Insight (Detect Kobold) - (1d20+4)

(11) + 4 = 15

Nov 12, 2015 2:31 pm
Ogbar is enraged by the dog's sudden assault and lets out a cry of rage! He hefts his axe and takes a powerful swing at the dog.

Bonus action to rage, then attacking

Rolls

Attack/Damage on Dog - (1d20+4, 1d12+4)

1d20+4 : (5) + 4 = 9

1d12+4 : (2) + 4 = 6

Nov 12, 2015 2:44 pm
I step out into the middle of the doorway, quickly take aim, and loose an arrow at the target I identify as the most exposed. Without waiting to see if the arrow hits its mark, I cross to the other side of the doorway and put my back against the outside wall.

If i understand I was on the right side of the door, and with this attack I am moving to the left side of the door - so that I am between the two doors and can more easily provide aid to either fight, as my allies require.

Rolls

Longbow - (1d20+5)

(14) + 5 = 19

Damage - (1d8+3)

(6) + 3 = 9

Nov 12, 2015 7:45 pm
Klak sees combat unfold and moves around the table to his left to confront the cudgel-wielding man. "For Clanggedin!" he bellows and he holds his shield high as he makes a mean swipe with his battleaxe.

Rolls

Whack-a-man - (1d20+5, 1d8)

1d20+5 : (9) + 5 = 14

1d8 : (4) = 4

Nov 12, 2015 8:39 pm
Xana ducks at the dog's approach and instinctively draws upon her connection with the ArchFey Hyrsam. Abruptly, she is struck by the hilarity of the situation and small giggle escapes her lips. The effect radiates outwards and washes over the shaggy, snarling canine. The dog stops, puzzled, its great fuzzy head quizzically cocked to one side. Then it stretches out its front paws and pants enthusiastically, its tongue lolling and slaver dripping from its massive jaws. A deep yip of a bark escapes and it wags its tail, hoping to play.

Upstairs, Ogbar roars back at the dog, spittle flying, and lashes out with his axe. The first swipe misses, slicing off a big hank of the dog's fur but not connecting with its flesh. The two of them are locked in melee: a whirling ball of fur, fury, and gleaming metal. Their bodies slam together and rebound again and again as the dog dodges the axe swings and Ogbar uses his elbows and knees to knock the dog's snapping head away from him. Neither is able to connect again for a few moments as they whirl around the room.

Next door, Klak engages the first thug behind the table on the left, contemptuously redirecting the first clumsy swing with his shield and stepping around the table while the thug swings his club back around. They trade blows, neither really connecting, but the dwarf clearly is the superior fighter, and the man gives way slowly. Klak pushes out with his shield to bash his opponent and the man blocks it with both hands, leaving his flank undefended. Klak's axe carves into the man's thigh, splitting the leather armor and the flesh beneath. The man screams in pain and surprise. Villagers he's bullied have never fought back like this.

Meanwhile, Quest's look of disappointment transforms into disapproval so profound one thug takes a half step back. But it is no good feeling remorse now; the fierce gleam of blue light flashes from his eyes and the rumor of a whine beyond hearing is felt by all nearby. The mystic enters the thug's mind and is not pleased with what he finds there. He sets off all the pain synapses in his nervous system. The second thug recoils as his buddy shrieks in a seizure so severe that he cannot even fall down as every muscle in his body vibrates with rapid contractions in opposing directions. Further, the man knows that Quest has peered inside his mind and feels intensely violated in a way he never imagined possible. Quest feels the intense hatred as a boiling yet impotent force within the man as the man instinctively imagines how he will enact his revenge for this intrusion.

Having taken careful aim and let fly her shaft, Sara steps across the doorway and sees the mystic's victim - the body twitching, the agonized shrieking from a vibrating mouth - and so does not see the arrow she shot as it flits above the table's edge and catches the man in the eye, impaling him into the wall behind him. Also through the doorway, she sees the other thug behind the table on the right preparing to bash Quest, while to her other side are shutters that she could fling open for a view into another room, where Ogbar and Xana went.

One man in the right hand room is dead, and two there are wounded.

Rolls

War dog's save (WIS) - (1d20+1)

(6) + 1 = 7

Nov 12, 2015 9:18 pm
Durren sheathes his sword and dives in between the stalks of wheat, following the kobold's path as it swishes through the grain. Contrary to what he expected, the kobold does not seem to be trying to lose him, but perhaps is simply instinctively avoiding scrutiny, as its path doesn't change, and it continues to rush south, flitting between the stalks while the larger human punches his way through. The kobold emerges just a second and a half before Durren and ducks around one of the elms that border the fields.

As Durren follows, he sees the kobold rushing past the easternmost of a more rustic row of houses, heading toward a low hill and the river. They've been running for perhaps a minute; Durren is not winded, but he is somewhat surprised at the kobold's speed and stamina; he thought reptiles didn't have that much energy.

Durren is able to cut the corner as the kobold veers slightly to the left to avoid the houses, and if he wishes he can close the distance, though the kobold might hear his footfalls and react if Durren doesn't attack. The human is still curious as to why the kobold is running around like this - is it going somewhere? Surely this isn't normal kobold behavior!

Rolls

DM roll - (1d20)

(15) = 15

Nov 12, 2015 11:31 pm
Durren decides on a plan. He wants to see if he can pull it off; it's a reptile - how smart can it be? He accelerates past the houses and cuts the Kobold off. The creature lets out a sound something between a hiss a squeal and a snarl and brandishes his knife. Durren assumes a haughty air and addresses the creature in a mixture of Imperial and Undercommon: "Stupid beast! Your master sent me; I've been trying to catch you all this time! I'm a new recruit and he told me to find you and that you would take me to him. So put away your dagger and talk or I'll slit your wide open." He puts his hand menacingly on his sword hilt and waits for the Kobold's response.

OOC: I'm assuming I can talk to the Kobold? What language do they speak? I'm also going to roll a persuasion check - or should it be animal handling? I'll do both; whichever applies you can use.

Rolls

Persuasion - (1d20+1)

(5) + 1 = 6

Animal Handling - (1d20+4)

(15) + 4 = 19

Nov 13, 2015 12:57 am
ROUND TWO

The war dog continues to try to tear at Ogbar. It leaps at him and tears his throat with its teeth.
Ogbar takes 5 damage (reduced from his Rage resistance). Ogbar is bleeding horribly, red spraying from his neck, but he's still standing, ignoring the nasty wound.

Unfortunately, this attack by their pet bolsters the swaggering confidence of the two thugs in the room with Ogbar, and they step in, swinging their clubs to take down this interloper. But they are squeamish about the spraying blood and can't get close enough past the swinging blade and the snapping jaws to land a good hit; their clubs rise and fall, pounding Ogbar repeatedly but ineffectually.

Aanbo hears screams of agony, snarls, barking, yells of fury and the clash of arms from within the mill, and he sees Sara fire an arrow through a doorway as she steps past and then nock another. Clearly, there is furious battle happening in the mill.

Meanwhile, in the office of the mill, the wounded thug (Thug 3) is fighting for his life against the implacable Klak. Again and again the man swings his club with all his might, hammering at the dwarf's defenses, but the shield is usually there to block it, and when it isn't, the dwarf takes the hit coldly and keeps implacably swinging his axe. Oh, the axe! The human must be quick with his cudgel to knock away the deadly axe's blade, already slick with his life blood. With each swing his arm grows heavier, and the damned dwarf keeps coming.

Recovering the use of his limbs after the profound violation of his mind by the half-elf, thug 4 hammers Quest with his club, screaming insults and curses and spittle as he bashes him again and again across the cover of the table. Quest is able to anticipate his moves, reacting with Intellect Fortress, however, his lip curling in irritated disdain, as the blows land painfully but glancingly, doing no real damage (Edited to accommodate the DISADV on the attack from Quest's Intellect Fortress discipline).

Thug 5, horrified at the sight of his cousin across from him with an arrow sticking out of his eye socket, goes berserk with his club, and smashes the half-elf with his club, using two-handed, full-bodied swings, knocking Quest's head back and forth. The half-elf staggers, his head ringing, seeing stars. Quest takes 3 HP of damage and must make a CON save to maintain concentration.

Initiative order:
- War dog (done)
- Aanbo
- Men in the mill room (done)
- Men in the office room (done)
- Thacogygax
- Man in the basement
- Xana
- Ogbar
- Klak
- Quest
- Sara

Note that I did not need to roll a DISADV on Thug 5's attack on Quest; Quest gets only one reaction per turn, and that was against Thug 4's attack.

Rolls

War dog bite - (1d20+1)

(20) + 1 = 21

Bite damage with crit - (2d6+1)

(36) + 1 = 10

Thug 1 (mill room) attack, damage on hit - (1d20+1, 1d4+1)

1d20+1 : (7) + 1 = 8

1d4+1 : (4) + 1 = 5

Thug 2 (mill room) attack, damage on hit - (1d20+1, 1d4+1)

1d20+1 : (1) + 1 = 2

1d4+1 : (1) + 1 = 2

Thug 3 (office room) attack on Klak, damage - (1d20+1, 1d4+1)

1d20+1 : (12) + 1 = 13

1d4+1 : (3) + 1 = 4

Thug 4 (office room) attack on Quest (cover), damage - (1d20+1, 1d4+1)

1d20+1 : (16) + 1 = 17

1d4+1 : (1) + 1 = 2

Thug 5 (office room) attack on Quest (cover), damage - (1d20+1, 1d4+1)

1d20+1 : (18) + 1 = 19

1d4+1 : (2) + 1 = 3

Thug 4's DISADV attack on Quest (Intellect Fortress) - (1d20+1)

(4) + 1 = 5

Thug 5's DISADV attack on Quest (Intellect Fortress) - (1d20+1)

(19) + 1 = 20

Nov 13, 2015 1:13 am
OOC: Does Aanbo need to roll another perception check to notice that things aren't going well?
Nov 13, 2015 1:28 am
CancerMan says:
OOC: Does Aanbo need to roll another perception check to notice that things aren't going well?
I've updated the round two post to indicate that you are aware of the battle, both from sound, and from the sight of Sara firing her bow into the building. Aanbo may still act, but it will take a full move action to get to either the north door (closed), north window (closed), the water wheel (rolling 'toward' you, if that makes sense), or two moves to get around the corner and through the "left" door (open, where Ogbar and Xana went moments ago).
Nov 13, 2015 1:45 am
Ogbar is angry, swinging wildly at the beast!

I'm raging, and thus only took 5 points, right?

Pretty sure I just wrecked that dog, and maybe even cleaved through it to the next guy?
Last edited November 13, 2015 1:46 am

Rolls

Attack/Damage - (1d20+4, 1d12+4)

1d20+4 : (15) + 4 = 19

1d12+4 : (12) + 4 = 16

Nov 13, 2015 2:05 am
Things seems protracted, and not the quick and simple job everyone wished it would be. Aanbo heads towards the mill, to the north door, and check whether it can be opened.
Nov 13, 2015 2:22 am
I throw my hands up and outwards into the air like I've got fistfuls of confetti, and suddenly a shiny red ball appears, bouncing soundlessly to and fro, tantalizingly close to the beardog's snout. Then I continue chasing after the man as the ball seemingly follows 30 feet behind me, continuing to bounce.

OOC: Casting "Minor Illusion"- You create a sound or an image of an object within range that lasts for the duration. The illusion also ends if you dismiss it as an action or cast this spell again. The image can’t create sound, light, smell, or any other sensory effect. Physical interaction with the image reveals it to be an illusion, because things can pass through it. If a creature uses its action to examine the sound or image, the creature can determine that it is an illusion with a successful Intelligence (Investigation) check against your spell save DC. If a creature discerns the illusion for what it is, the illusion becomes faint to the creature.
Nov 13, 2015 2:41 am
CancerMan says:
Things seems protracted, and not the quick and simple job everyone wished it would be. Aanbo heads towards the mill, to the north door, and check whether it can be opened.
Aanbo runs up to the door, and can fling it open - it is not locked or blocked.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.