Against the Cult: Party at the Mill (1.1)

load previous
Nov 13, 2015 2:44 am
Naatkinson says:
Ogbar is ... raging, and thus only took 5 points, right?
Correct; I've amended the original post. Likely you will kill the dog and cleave into one of the thugs, but we'll resolve that after Thac0's turn (just in case he decides to do something to effect your fight).
Nov 13, 2015 3:00 am
Meanwhile, down in the basement:

http://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=0B071DukoNZd1dGFvVUZYX1dWekU

Xana ("Xa" on the map) is in the dark almost adjacent to the man ("M") she chased down here. He has not noticed her because of the dark. The big friendly monstrous war dog ("D") is next to her. She can hear several somethings approaching from the tunnel, reacting to the man's cry.

I thought I'd give you a better visual, in case you wanted to amend your stated move to follow the man, as he's stopped moving and you're so close.

Xana should also roll a perception check as a bonus action.
Nov 13, 2015 3:03 am
OOC: What happens with Durren and the Kobold?
Nov 13, 2015 3:05 am
Funny you should ask; I was typing this as you posted...
CouchLord0510 says:
Durren decides on a plan. He wants to see if he can pull it off; it's a reptile - how smart can it be? He accelerates past the houses and cuts the Kobold off. The creature lets out a sound something between a hiss a squeal and a snarl and brandishes his knife. Durren assumes a haughty air and addresses the creature in a mixture of Imperial and Undercommon: "Stupid beast! Your master sent me; I've been trying to catch you all this time! I'm a new recruit and he told me to find you and that you would take me to him. So put away your dagger and talk or I'll slit your wide open." He puts his hand menacingly on his sword hilt and waits for the Kobold's response.

OOC: I'm assuming I can talk to the Kobold? What language do they speak? I'm also going to roll a persuasion check - or should it be animal handling? I'll do both; whichever applies you can use.
Inspired! You don't know what language they speak, so your decision to default to Imperial is probably wise: nearly everyone has a smattering of the language, even if he or she is not from Keoland. Who knows where a little toad like this hails from, anyhow.

Shiztik is astonished at your appearing in front of it.

Durren should roll an intimidation check to pull a fast one on the kobold.
Nov 13, 2015 3:20 am
Durren stares the Kobold down, hoping his bluff goes over.

Rolls

Intimidation - (1d20-1)

(4) - 1 = 3

Nov 13, 2015 3:51 am
I slow down as I approach the man, looking around as I do so.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(5) + 2 = 7

Nov 13, 2015 7:27 am
Seeing Quest beset on two fronts, Thacogygax utters an arcane phrase and waves a scaly claew at one of the club-weilding thugs. Hoarfrost starts to form on the man's limbs.

Nearby, Klak battles another thug. But where are Xana and Ogbar? Thacogygax follows Sara to the connecting door and peers into the next room through the shutters.

Frostbite vs. Thug 5. DC14 CON save or take 1d6 cold damage and DISADV on next attack.

Rolls

Frostbite damage - (1d6)

(1) = 1

Nov 13, 2015 12:14 pm
Quest and Klak appear to have the situation relatively under control, so I step out in front of the other doorway and see Xana has vanished and Ogbar is taking on two men by himself, the corpse of a war dog mangled at his feet. I loose an arrow at one of the thugs and return to my cover, pressing my back up against the wall between the two doors.

Rolls

Longbow - (1d20+5)

(3) + 5 = 8

Damage - (1d8+3)

(1) + 3 = 4

Nov 13, 2015 6:59 pm
ROUND TWO, CONTINUED

Aanbo flings open the north door to the mill, letting in more sunlight to the battle between Ogbar, the dog, and the two thugs. (If you decide that you didn't want to open the door, we can revise this)

Thacogygax draws upon the magical energies in the air around him and steps past the doorway, flicking the elemental energies inside the mill as his huge bulk casts a shadow into the room. Then he is gone and is hulking in the left-hand doorway, watching Ogbar, the dog, and the two thugs as well.

The man in the basement, satisfied that he's delivered his message, turns and begins to feel his way back through the darkened basement, muttering something like "...let's go back and get 'em, eh?" He starts in surprise when he hears Xana in front of him. "Brian? Is that you?"

Behind him, the hole in the wall disgorges a pair of small humanoids bearing picks, who can clearly see in the dark, as they rush over to Xana, hissing in broken Imperial: "Is this gnome an enemy? Smash her?" The man replies: "Her? Gnome? Yes!" They attack, swinging their picks viciously.
Xana is hit repeatedly with the picks, taking a total of 7 damage.

Ogbar rears back and swings, connecting with the dog in mid-air and chopping it in half. The blade continues in its arc, slicing the left arm off of Thug 2, who falls back screaming in existential horror, dying. The barbarian screams in rage as his axe swings back around and carves into the abdomen of the remaining thug, who screams as well, desperately trying to fend off the dancing, whirring blade. "HELP! HELP!" he yells in agony.

Updated view of the basement:
http://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=0B071DukoNZd1ZnlBd2dQaHN3Zk0

Initiative order:
- War dog (done)
- Aanbo (done)
- Men in the mill room (done)
- Men in the office room (done)
- Thacogygax (done)
- Man in the basement (done)
- Xana
- Ogbar (done)
- Klak
- Quest
- Sara (action submitted)

Rolls

Thug 5 CON save - (1d20)

(10) = 10

Fiztik's attack on Xana (ADV) - (1d20+4, 1d20+4, 1d8-2)

1d20+4 : (5) + 4 = 9

1d20+4 : (14) + 4 = 18

1d8-2 : (1) - 2 = -1

Spivslicks's attack on Xana (ADV) - (1d20+4, 1d20+4, 1d8-2)

1d20+4 : (6) + 4 = 10

1d20+4 : (20) + 4 = 24

1d8-2 : (8) - 2 = 6

Critical hit damage on Xana - (1d8)

(1) = 1

Nov 13, 2015 7:21 pm
"Hey!! That's not very nice!!" If I'm able to disengage, I'll run back the way I came.

OOC: Casting "Arms of Hadar"- You invoke the power of Hadar, the Dark Hunger. Tendrils of dark energy erupt from you and batter all creatures within 10 feet of you. Each creature in that area must make a Strength saving throw. On a failed save, a target takes 2d6 necrotic damage and can’t take reactions until its next turn. On a successful save, the creature takes half damage, but suffers no other effect.
Last edited November 13, 2015 8:37 pm

Rolls

Damage - (2d6)

(64) = 10

Nov 13, 2015 7:58 pm
Updated Round Two positions in the mill upstairs.

http://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=0B071DukoNZd1Tk5JdFp0aFVIZkU
Nov 13, 2015 8:12 pm
Klak is a dwarven dervish of defense, his shield constant rising to the challenge of the thug's cudgel. "Had enough yet?" he grunts. Spotting an opening, Klak takes a swing with his battleaxe, pushing his shield into the thug's face to conceal his move.

Rolls

Klak attack. - (1d20+5, 1d8)

1d20+5 : (1) + 5 = 6

1d8 : (3) = 3

Nov 13, 2015 8:14 pm
ROUND TWO
https://nerdnight.files.wordpress.com/2015/05/black_tentacles_by_archanor.jpg

Everyone at the mill feels a black feeling of despair and a hideous coldness as Xana opens a connection with Hadar, the Dark Hunger, the Terror from Beyond. Hadar's foulness forms itself within the gnome, foul excresence that vomits forth from her mouth and nose, while a oily liquid feeling within her skull drains out of her ears and around from behind her eyeballs. This vile blackness whips out and probes every living thing in the basement, leaving a gross stain on every surface. The probing tentacles burrow into the orifices of the two reptile miners and the war dog, draining their life force directly from their brains. Their bodies fall, shriveled and dead. The man staggers as the tentacles caress him and drain his life, unable to see anything that's happening, bewildered and horrified. He begins to gibber.

Thoroughly nauseated and with the dread that comes from any contact with extra-dimensional abominations inimical to all life, Xana staggers back upstairs.

Mama said there'd be days like this.

Rolls

Man STR save - (1d20+1)

(19) + 1 = 20

Reptile thing 1's STR save - (1d20-2)

(17) - 2 = 15

Reptile thing 2's STR save - (1d20-2)

(2) - 2 = 0

Fuzzball's STR save - (1d20+1)

(12) + 1 = 13

Nov 13, 2015 8:36 pm
ROUND TWO

Klak and the thug he's fighting both shiver in horror as the coldness washes over them, and the shiver takes some of the force from the dwarf's blow, bruising the man rather than cleaving into him. They continue to trade blows, circling around each other, hammering, pounding and slicing, each looking for an opening.

Sara steps into the doorway next to Thacogygax, takes careful aim into the room, shivering from a terrible sense of cold, exhales and releases, then steps back against the wall. Her arrow silences the terrified screams of the dying man spraying blood all over the mill wheel, which is a relief to everyone still standing.

Aside from Quest, that's everyone's turn 2. Unless your moves are dependent on the Mystic, you can start to submit your moves for turn 3.

Initiative order:
- Aanbo
- Man in the mill room (Thug 1)
- Men in the office room (Thugs 3 - 5)
- Thacogygax
- Man in the basement (gibbering)
- Xana
- Ogbar
- Klak
- Quest (waiting for turn two actions)
- Sara
Nov 13, 2015 8:39 pm
Shiztik hisses, whether in frustration or derision.
"You not with Black - you too good!"

The kobold runs off again, making for the low hill that rises just a few yards away.

Durren can make a perception check in addition to other actions.
Nov 13, 2015 8:43 pm
Ogbar is feeling even more confident, with only one man remaining. Can anyone stand against his might? He swings again and again at the remaining man.

Rolls

Attack/Damage - (1d20+4, 1d12+4)

1d20+4 : (16) + 4 = 20

1d12+4 : (1) + 4 = 5

Nov 13, 2015 9:08 pm
Aanbo takes a brief moment to assess the situation. He sees Ogbar engaged with a single opponent, and the blood and bodies surrounding them indicate that the barbarian is doing pretty well for himself. Aanbo notices the weakened man near the wall and hurries over to check on his condition.

OOC: This is the man that was wrestling with the thugs, right?

Rolls

Medicine - (1d20+5)

(3) + 5 = 8

Nov 13, 2015 9:40 pm
Durren growls frustration and sprints after the Kobold. The creature was below him, sprinting toward another mill building. There were sounds of a struggle coming from inside, and Durren unsheathed his sword, prepared for combat.

Rolls

Perception (just in case) - (1d20+4)

(7) + 4 = 11

Nov 13, 2015 10:47 pm
Klak continues working over the thug, who is remarkably capable at evading his blows. Not for the first time in his like Klak wonders if he'd be able to hit things more if his arms weren't quite as short. Nonetheless, he powers through his stature looking for a likely opening to dispatch the thug so he can get to the other side of the room and finish the job.

OOC: I keep forgetting to add my STR to damage, so it'd be 1d8+3 - or in this case 11.
Last edited November 13, 2015 10:48 pm

Rolls

hack-attack - (1d20+5, 1d8)

1d20+5 : (10) + 5 = 15

1d8 : (8) = 8

Nov 13, 2015 11:10 pm
Quests unleashes another mental assault on Thug 4 looking to take him out of the fight.

His head turns and he sees the next man. once again, his eyes flash a brilliant blue light and the same light fills the eyes of the thug, but this time, it somehow seems more intense. ((Spending 1 Psi point on the attack against thug 5))

::Sorry, got busy around the house. Didn't realize things were moving so fast. Turn 2 action to hit Thug 4. turn 3 action to hit Thug 5, edits to add these notes and to roll critical damage on Thug 5...poor bloke. I think I melted his brain.::
Last edited November 13, 2015 11:21 pm

Rolls

Mind Thrust vs. Int. (thug 4) - (1d20+5, 1d8)

1d20+5 : (17) + 5 = 22

1d8 : (8) = 8

Mind Thrust vs. Int. (thug 5) - (1d20+5, 2d8)

1d20+5 : (20) + 5 = 25

2d8 : (88) = 16

crit damage - (2d8)

(52) = 7

load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.