Against the Cult: Party at the Mill (1.1)

load previous
Nov 16, 2015 11:07 pm
Durren turns to Sara and gives a little nod in her direction. "My thanks," he says matter-a-factly. Sara nods, but keeps her arrow trained on him. Durren sighs and, sheathing his sword. "Can you not see I am a friend? If I want peace with those who attack helpless millers, why would I want war with you, who defend the innocent, as do I?" He turns and walks past Ogbar and to the fallen thug. "Who are you?" he asks, "Who sent you?"

If the thug is still conscious when my turn comes, I will question him further. If not, I will go down and help Klak; preferably I will go down the stairs into the basement where my longsword can get maximum two-handed effectiveness.
Last edited November 17, 2015 5:39 pm

Rolls

Intimidation - (1d20-1)

(14) - 1 = 13

Perception - (1d20+4)

(15) + 4 = 19

Persuasion (of Ogbar/Sara; if necessary) - (1d20+1)

(18) + 1 = 19

Nov 16, 2015 11:12 pm
"One more thing:" Durren says over his shoulder to the others, "there is a Kobold in the vicinity. He led me here. I would beware if I were you; the creature may bring some more of its kind to avenge their allies."
Nov 16, 2015 11:19 pm
"We've got company, people! There's more coming from downstairs! I look around for a more secure place to hide, and then I run for it. If I'm able to find a comfortable corner, I will put up an illusion to mask my presence.
Last edited November 16, 2015 11:19 pm

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(19) + 2 = 21

Stealth/hide? - (1d20+1)

(1) + 1 = 2

Nov 16, 2015 11:26 pm
At Xana's warning, Aanbo hurries to move the miller to safety, dragging the man if he cannot walk, or otherwise guiding him to the northern door.
Nov 16, 2015 11:28 pm
Klak was built to hold the line!

Klak turns to the stairs down and holds the high ground, shield and axe at the ready. The second anything hostile comes within range he proceeds to cleave its braincase in two. "FOR CLANGGEDIN AND FUS BARDAGASKEGGA!"
Nov 17, 2015 2:16 am
Quest readies himself for another wave of attackers with Xana's warning. Taking his fighting stance he centers his mind and readies himself to unleash should an enemy appear.

::Readied with Mind Thrust should someone come up the stairs with a weapon or spell ready to attack.::
Nov 17, 2015 8:49 am
spaceseeker19 says:

Quest ... makes his way toward the other room (How do you want to get there? Through the adjoining door, or outside?)
I'll assume that Quest went through the inner door, following Klak.
Nov 17, 2015 12:15 pm
spaceseeker19 says:
spaceseeker19 says:

Quest ... makes his way toward the other room (How do you want to get there? Through the adjoining door, or outside?)
I'll assume that Quest went through the inner door, following Klak.
Yes, shortest distance between two points, and all that.
Nov 17, 2015 4:58 pm
Heeding Xana's warning of more hostiles, Thacogygax tries to find a spot with some cover, but from where he can see anyone coming up the stairs.

Readying Frostbite.
Nov 17, 2015 7:35 pm
ROUND FIVE

Above the groans of the injured archer, Durren and Sara distinctly hear footsteps above them in what must be an attic.

spaceseeker19 sent a note to CouchLord0510
The dusty miller nods and coughs. "Yes, I'm Keb...who...who are you? Where's Shalla?" He looks around, panicked. Aanbo firmly leads him to the door. "No! What have you done? He'll kill her!"

Thacogygax ducks through the door, taking cover behind the wall, only his long reptile-like blue snout sticking into the mill room, looking down the stairs. He is the first to see a group of rough-looking characters hustling up the stairs. Calling upon the might of a polar storm once again, the alien blasts the first of them with frost.

The man seems alarmed, but bulls through the frost, pounding up the stairs. He crashes into Klak, several men behind him. They are armed with staves. The first man attempts to shove Klak backwards so the rest of them can finish coming upstairs.
Klak should make an Athletics or Acrobatics check.

Upstairs, thug 12, with the arrow in his shoulder, drops his bow and screams "I give up! Don't kill me, please!" Ogbar's intimidation has worked (and if it hadn't, Sara and Durren probably would have). Durren seems to want to interrogate the thug; Ogbar's turn.

Searching for the best hiding place, Xana has ducked behind the stairs leading up in the mill room (where Thug 6 had hidden before).

spaceseeker19 sent a note to Moofsalot
- Aanbo (moving Keb)
- Thacogygax (cast Frostbite as readied action)
- Everyone in the basement (coming upstairs: in progress)
- the wounded archer upstairs (thug 12: surrendered)
- Xana (seeking cover)
- Ogbar (upstairs)
- Klak (at the head of the stairs, in melee)
- Durren (upstairs, turn submitted)
- Quest (turn submitted: gathering his will to perform another brain-melting mind thrust)
- Sara

Rolls

CON save - (1d20)

(17) = 17

Athletics check to shove - (1d20+3)

(11) + 3 = 14

Nov 17, 2015 7:54 pm
Klak is of the mountain. He is stone incarnate, and no human with a staff is going to push him around. He prepares as he sees them coming and hunkers down. He will be the granite against which the underground stream flails!

Klak subsequently chooses to chop off the man's head. Or try, anyway.

OOC: Forgot to add +3 to damage -- so total damage is 8.
Last edited November 17, 2015 7:57 pm

Rolls

Athletics - (1d20+5)

(14) + 5 = 19

Battleaxe - (1d20+5, 1d8)

1d20+5 : (13) + 5 = 18

1d8 : (5) = 5

Nov 17, 2015 8:25 pm
Ogbar, hearing the commotion beginning downstairs again will head down. At the top of the stairs he is able to see the men trying to shove by Klak, and will move to engage them with his greataxe.

If he can't get far enough he will draw and throw a handaxe at one of the enemies.

Rolls

Attack - (1d20+4)

(3) + 4 = 7

Greataxe damage (if I can get there) - (1d12+4)

(4) + 4 = 8

Thrown Handaxe damage (if I can't get there in my movement) - (1d6+2)

(5) + 2 = 7

Nov 18, 2015 2:33 am
Durren will wait for the thug's response, then answer him, implying that he will go downstairs. Instead, he will sprint over to the ladder he saw and climb it, to see who is in the loft.
Nov 18, 2015 4:41 am
ROUND FIVE, continued

The man (called Ove) bulling his way up the narrow stairs attempts to smash the little dwarf back from the top of the stairs, and is surprised to find that he is pushing on a mountain. Ove rebounds, and one of the men behind (called Uncle) attempts to smack Klak with his staff. Uncle smacks Klak in the head with a two-handed swing with reach past Ove's shoulder.
Klak takes 3 HP damage.

Ogbar, grinning with bloody teeth, manages to keep himself from killing the surrendered thug. Hopeful that there is more fighting, the berserker rushes downstairs again. He flings a handaxe, and Ove slaps it out of the air. Ogbar comes to a stop behind the Mountain, Klak.

spaceseeker19 sent a note to falryx
Klak has been content to stand, impassively, as men attempted to move him, by pushing him and by beating him with sticks. Now he clears his throat and slashes into the crowded stairway, chopping a huge gash in Ove's chest. Ove look down, appalled, and falls into two pieces, slicking the stairs with blood. The remaining men on the stairway - Uncle and the others - yell with dismay, adding their voices to the constant gibbering of the insane man who wasn't quite drained to death by Hadar earlier.

Upstairs, Durren thanks Sara, sheathes his sword, and advances on the injured archer to question him. The archer, white showing all around his irises, answers him: "I'm...my name is Soo. I'm with Black. We-we came to take the mill, from the miller. Black thought it would be a good base..."

"SHUT UP, SOO!" a muffled voice yells through the floorboards above Sara and Durren. Soo's mouth snaps shut immediately.

Durren sees a ladder on the floor and considers what to do next.

spaceseeker19 sent a note to CouchLord0510

Rolls

Uncle's attack on Klak, damage (2-handed) - (1d20+3, 1d8+1)

1d20+3 : (19) + 3 = 22

1d8+1 : (2) + 1 = 3

Nov 18, 2015 5:07 am
ROUND FIVE, continued

Sara's turn, which will be resolved after Quest rolls his attack and damage on Uncle.

spaceseeker19 sent a note to Candi
Nov 18, 2015 5:28 am
Quest reacts to the appearance of the new assailants. He lashes out with his mind.

[b]"Once more, stand down and face the justice of the law and we will not harm anyone else!"

Rolls

Mind Thrust vs. Int. Uncle - (1d20+5, 1d8)

1d20+5 : (12) + 5 = 17

1d8 : (4) = 4

Nov 18, 2015 7:01 am
Uncle reels as the spear of Quest's mind pierces his thoughts, but he does not fall.
Nov 18, 2015 7:44 am
I cross the room towards the ladder while shouldering my bow. I don't trust the human, but he seems to think he's on our side. Against my better judgement I turn my back on him and scramble up the ladder, pressing on the trap door at the top to see if it's unlocked.

Candi sent a note to spaceseeker19
Nov 18, 2015 8:49 am
ROUND FIVE, continued
CouchLord0510 says:
Durren will wait for the thug's response, then answer him, implying that he will go downstairs. Instead, he will sprint over to the ladder he saw and climb it, to see who is in the loft.
Candi says:
I cross the room towards the ladder while shouldering my bow. I don't trust the human, but he seems to think he's on our side. Against my better judgement I turn my back on him and scramble up the ladder, pressing on the trap door at the top to see if it's unlocked.
The ladder is about 12' long, clearly intended to go through the small trap door in the ceiling and extend into the room beyond for a couple of feet. Now, however, the ladder is lying on the floor. Apparently it was thrown down before the trap door was shut. Whoever is up there was probably in a big hurry, since whoever it is didn't pull the ladder up. Either one of you can place the ladder this turn, if you wish, or if you work together, one could set the ladder and the other could climb it. The ladder can be set to near vertical, in order to try pushing up the trapdoor, or it can be leaned up against the wall near the trap door at a shallower angle, so that someone could climb it and come up under the trap door.

Please clarify your actions, given this more detail.
Nov 18, 2015 8:59 am
Seeing the ladder on the floor, I quickly scan the area. Is the trapdoor in the corner, near the wall? Does the wall have shelves, hanging hooks or other outcroppings? Would it be possible to scale the wall and try and lift open the trapdoor, or it is too far? If not, I right the ladder and prepare to climb it. If I think I can manage without, I attempt to do so.

Rolls

Athletics (if needed) - (1d20+3)

(7) + 3 = 10

load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.