Against the Cult: Party at the Mill (1.1)

load previous
Nov 18, 2015 4:20 pm
ROUND FIVE, end

In talking to Soo, Durren sees that beyond him is a comfortably furnished bedroom, lit by windows on the three other walls. No one else appears to be in the room other than Soo.

Sara rushes through the dark room, stepping lightly over the dead bodies as she runs up to the western wall and leaps. Her foot finds purchase on some hooks for tools to maintain the mill's machinery, and she pushes up on the trapdoor, intending to catch the edge and look through once it's open. But the trap door moves only slightly under her shove, and a voice gives an exclamation of surprise, as if someone was standing on the trap door and felt it shift when she pushed on it. Sara drops lightly back to the floorboards next to the ladder lying there.
Nov 18, 2015 5:50 pm
Klak will say, "We are here to defend the mill in the name of Clanggedin, the miller and his family! Throw down your weapons!" He will choose not to attack unless someone is aggressive against him again -- sticks whapping on his helmet are not appreciated. If someone tries that again, the battleaxe will sing once more! (...and miss)

OOC: Will delay an attack to trigger if attacked, otherwise, will forgo an attack this round.
Last edited November 18, 2015 5:51 pm

Rolls

Triggered attack roll. - (1d20+5, 1d8+3)

1d20+5 : (1) + 5 = 6

1d8+3 : (5) + 3 = 8

Nov 18, 2015 10:16 pm
Durren curses as Sara falls back to the floor. Keeping an eye on the thug, Durren steps over to Sara and whispers in elvish to her: "I know you do not trust me. But we can see what is up there if we form a temporary alliance. Here is my plan. I'll push on the trap door. When the man cries out again, try to shoot him through the floor. Then I'll lift the trap door and we'll see who is up there." Regardless of Sara's response, Durren will prop the ladder up against the wall, climb it, and attempt to push it open if he can do all that in one turn.
Last edited November 18, 2015 10:17 pm

Rolls

Persuasion (of Sara; if necessary) - (1d20+1)

(11) + 1 = 12

Strength (push open trap door) - (1d20+3)

(17) + 3 = 20

Athletics (alternate push open trap door) - (1d20+5)

(10) + 5 = 15

Nov 18, 2015 10:47 pm
Feeling slightly more secure now that there is a lot less screaming (by me), I peek from behind my illusion and take a look around, stepping out only if the coast is clear.
Nov 18, 2015 10:57 pm
ROUND SIX BEGINS

- Aanbo
- Thacogygax
- Everyone in the basement and on the basement stairs
- in the attic
- Xana
- Ogbar
- Klak (turn submitted: talking, with readied action)
- Durren (turn submitted: setting ladder and opening attic trap door)
- Quest
- Sara
Nov 18, 2015 11:15 pm
"Where was Shalla last seen?" asks Aanbo as he sets Keb outside by the door. "Here? Upstairs?" The monk chances a quick glance into the mill to check on everyone's status, then grits his teeth as he breaks off the shaft of the arrow that's still in him.

Aanbo recalls that Quest mentioned Keb as the one who injured Hale, and the one who brought the thugs to the mill in the first place. A part of him thinks it unlikely that Shalla is here, and that perhaps Keb acted under duress if Shalla is indeed a hostage.
Last edited November 18, 2015 11:19 pm
Nov 19, 2015 1:24 am
"Sh-Shalla's upstairs. They're watching me, making sure I obey, or they'll hurt her!"
Nov 19, 2015 2:45 am
Aanbo nods. "You are hurt, so stay here," he advises Keb. "We'll do our best."

OOC: If Aanbo still has time for action, he will re-enter the mill and start heading upstairs. Otherwise I'll submit that move for next round.
Nov 19, 2015 4:25 am
Thacogygax darts forward, very much like a lizard, past Klak and Ogbar. His scales grow bright blue and his head is haloed in sparks. The dragonman opens his jaws and there is a blinding flash as a bolt of lightning shoots forth, through the thugs crowding the stairs.

OOC: Lightning breath weapon. 5x30ft line. 2d6 damage. Save for half with DC 10 Dex.

Rolls

Lightning damage - (2d6)

(61) = 7

Nov 20, 2015 5:41 pm
ROUND SIX, continued

Thacogygax shoots lightning from his mouth, angling it down the stairs. It blasts through the people crowded on the stairs and reflects off of the wall and into the basement. There is screaming. There is sizzling. There is a clap of thunder and electricity arcs through the machinery of the mill, and each room is lit briefly with a flash of blue light as the electricity travels up the driveshaft through the mill room, upstairs where Sara and Durren are, and into the attic. Everyone's ears are ringing. The men on the stairs clap their hands to their ears, dropping their staves and reeling in pain. The fight seems to have gone out of them entirely.

From the attic, Sara and Durren hear a shrill yell: [b]"WHAT...WAS...THAT???"[b]

- Aanbo (the way I figure conversation in combat is: you can speak briefly without taking an action, but if you converse and listen to a response, it takes at least an action)
- Thacogygax
- in the attic
- Xana
- Ogbar
- Quest
- Sara
Nov 20, 2015 5:44 pm
OOC: Thanks, GM! I won't submit my move to go upstairs, then, and wait for the next round to submit my action
Nov 20, 2015 5:53 pm
Ogbar, seeing that they are too busy holding their ears will work his way past Thacogygax and plant his foot in the first man's chest and attempt to shove him down the stairs.
Last edited November 20, 2015 5:54 pm

Rolls

Shove Attempt (Athletics w/ Advantage) - (1d20+4, 1d20+4)

1d20+4 : (3) + 4 = 7

1d20+4 : (5) + 4 = 9

Nov 20, 2015 8:52 pm
ROUND SIX, continued

- Aanbo
- Thacogygax
- in the attic
- Xana
- Ogbar (turn submitted, kicking Uncle down the stairs)
- Quest
- Sara
Nov 21, 2015 8:56 am
"We have a half-dragon." I shout, matter-of-factly, as the human pushes open the trap door. With the human on the ladder, I can't reach the attic myself, but maybe I can intimidate the people up there and convince them to surrender, "We've subdued your allies, and have you cornered. Surrender and you will be treated fairly, resist and I promise you will not see another dawn."

Rolls

Intimidation - (1d20+1)

(2) + 1 = 3

Nov 21, 2015 1:20 pm
Morgran strolls in, with meatflesh hanging from the corner of his lip.

"Where did you lot get to?"
Nov 21, 2015 7:09 pm
(Morgran should roll initiative for next round, in case there we'll still be in combat by then.)
Nov 21, 2015 11:47 pm
ROUND SIX, continued

Sensing that the fight has gone out of the rough men on the stairs, Xana creeps out from under the staircase. She can still take an action.

spaceseeker19 sent a note to Moofsalot
Ogbar steps up next to Thacogygax and plants one large and bloody boot on the chest of Uncle, and shoves him powerfully into the wall, knocking the wind out of the man. Uncle's eyes roll in his head, and he's dazed and wheezing for breath from the stomp to his chest.

Klak booms out his command, and the ruffians left on the stairs all drop their staves in meek surrender, with a babble of distressed cries:
"Please don't kill us!"
"He kicked Uncle!"
"We'll do anything you want - just don't let the dragon eat us!"
"Help!"
"What's going on?"
"What did you do to Black?"

Quest can act this turn, too.

Morgran, the fellow Dungeon Buster associate and cleric you last saw asleep in the Inn, come sauntering into the mill at this moment, wondering where the party went without him.
Nov 21, 2015 11:54 pm
ROUND SIX, continued (upstairs)

Muttering softly to Sara, Durren sets the ladder against the wall and scampers up to push on the trap door. It rises partway, but clearly someone there is trying to keep it from opening.
Durren, roll a STR check to open it anyway.

spaceseeker19 sent a note to CouchLord0510
The voice from the attic calls down in response to Sara: "Yeah, well, then the girl won't survive either!" Sara and Durren both hear a muffled shriek at this.
I'm going to say that Sara has a single action remaining, if there's something else she'd like to do this round (a move or another action).

Rolls

Thug's opposed STR, trying to keep trap door shut - (1d20+1)

(12) + 1 = 13

Nov 21, 2015 11:59 pm
Durren heaves on the trap door...

Rolls

Strength - (1d20+5)

(5) + 5 = 10

Nov 22, 2015 12:17 am
Seeing that Klak has the men in the basement under control, Quest turns his attention to what Sara and Durren are doing. He has heard the yelling about the girl and now focuses on that issue.

"No one wants to hurt you, friend. We can talk this our so that no one gets hurt. Please explain the situation and we will do whatever it takes to see that this ends amicably."
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.